Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fantasy Superhero Game

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I've been having fun with the superhero MMOS, and was wondering what if there was a game with the superhero format but in a fantasy/medieval setting? I think a game like this could be pretty cool. Instead of modern cities there could be vast cities with castles and medieval looking buildings. But players wouldn't be limited to just cities, they could also seamlessly travel to wilderness areas too. There would be power sets like other superhero games and travel powers, etc.

Anyways, if someone made a game like this, I would most likely buy it.

Comments

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144
    So... you're talking about...   Superman meets Camelot?
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Sounds like a total clash of genres.  It certainly wouldn't appeal to me. In any case, superheroes in a fantasy setting would be classed as Gods and Demigods, not Superheroes per se.  More leather, fur, magic weapons and God-like abilites and less Spandex, so to speak.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Sounds like a total clash of genres.  It certainly wouldn't appeal to me. In any case, superheroes in a fantasy setting would be classed as Gods and Demigods, not Superheroes per se.  More leather, fur, magic weapons and God-like abilites and less Spandex, so to speak.

That's what I mean... players wouldn't be in the typical superhero costumes, but gear to fit the setting. If you could imagine it, just add in super speed, and flight without mounts, and acrobatics or something into one of todays top fantasy MMOs, and you'd pretty much have a game like what I'm talking about.

I think the travel powers are what I like most about the games.

They don't have to be called superheroes, so they could be demigods or whatever. I think this kind of stuff has already been done in comic books. i think it could work well in games.

Originally posted by jusomdude

Originally posted by Dibdabs

That's what I mean... players wouldn't be in the typical superhero costumes, but gear to fit the setting. If you could imagine it, just add in super speed, and flight without mounts, and acrobatics or something into one of todays top fantasy MMOs, and you'd pretty much have a game like what I'm talking about.

I think the travel powers are what I like most about the games.

They don't have to be called superheroes, so they could be demigods or whatever. I think this kind of stuff has already been done in comic books. i think it could work well in games.

So, basically any game that uses uses magical and/or technological powers and abilities, where you become so incredibly powerful that mere mortals are like yard trash?  Hmm, I could be wrong but I think that's been done before, in quite a few game genres as well as in the comic books you mention.  Any current MMO you pick could fit your bill.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Intersting, and not to derail your thread, but on the same topic... I thought of a couple I'd like to see while we are at it.

- Zombie Apocolypse MMORPG. Would be neat if done right. Your progression is your time in-game without dying. Pick up anything to use as a weapon from the start. Acquire skills as your time climbs based on a skill tree system with the freedom to choose skills that enhance your style. Build fortifications, weapons and vehicles. Others feel free to add to this, but you get the idea.

- Wild West MMORPSG. Sandbox from hell. HUGE map consisting of everything west of the Mississippi River. Later expansions could include Mexico and /or Canada. 1st or 3rd person role playing shooter game.Start as a yokel and find a job that suits you. Start at any town on the map and go.

* Be a Bar Tender and own and run a saloon.

* Be a Sherriff and get paid X amount of cash a month with extra pay for stopping bandits or other scum.

* Blacksmith, Farmer, join the Calvary (Monthly pay), Fur Trader, etc, etc. (Add to it if you have a good one)

But you could also be a Bank or Train robber, horse thief, gun slinger, start a gang...whatever you choose. But each thing has positive or negative effects. Warrants are issued, bounties are pursued...anything goes. Let the players keep the peace....just like the pioneers did in the west. Would also have to have a death penalty that stings. So a player thinks twice about their actions and what they are willing to do and the risks they are willing to take to become famous.

I really like the WIld West idea, especially the idea that players keep the peace.  Even if we could only hunt and kill goldsellers, that would do me!  :D