Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paranoia

SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Sharing a thought I had over on TSW

1) US Federal government develops and maintains huge database on US citizens.

2) Supreme Court finds against the US government and orders the database to be shut down.

3) US Government pulls run around around the US Supreme Court, and privatizes it's database by " giving " the database to US corporation Choicepoint, for a direct government access point into the database FBI.choicepoint.com

4) Choicepoint in global sercurity seminar with world security firms including the FBI, NSA, FEMA, and the Secret Service discuss the future of world security including the use of something called " social internet" whereby citizens will unwittingly and unknowingly compile and maintain extensive databases upon themselves that world security can co-op to keep covert tabs on their own citizens and their citizens thoughts and feelings.

5) Choicepoint runs into some media and legal issues making them very public and under close scrutiny, secret funding dries up.

6) Facebook emerges and expands overnight with huge amounts of undisclosed funding, millions flock to facebook worldwide freely posting tons of private personal information about themselves.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Hmm let's take it a step further, an mmo is developed that is about secret world orders, conspiracies, and alternate history. A game targeted at and sure to attract a certain segment of the population, dissenters, free thinkers, revolutionaries, conspiracy nuts.

Then that mmo requires us to register ourselves on that gestapo database site...

Makes you wonder just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Comments

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by Sorrow

Sharing a thought I had over on TSW

1) US Federal government develops and maintains huge database on US citizens.

2) Supreme Court finds against the US government and orders the database to be shut down.

3) US Government pulls run around around the US Supreme Court, and privatizes it's database by " giving " the database to US corporation Choicepoint, for a direct government access point into the database FBI.choicepoint.com

4) Choicepoint in global sercurity seminar with world security firms including the FBI, NSA, FEMA, and the Secret Service discuss the future of world security including the use of something called " social internet" whereby citizens will unwittingly and unknowingly compile and maintain extensive databases upon themselves that world security can co-op to keep covert tabs on their own citizens and their citizens thoughts and feelings.

5) Choicepoint runs into some media and legal issues making them very public and under close scrutiny, secret funding dries up.

6) Facebook emerges and expands overnight with huge amounts of undisclosed funding, millions flock to facebook worldwide freely posting tons of private personal information about themselves.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Hmm let's take it a step further, an mmo is developed that is about secret world orders, conspiracies, and alternate history. A game targeted at and sure to attract a certain segment of the population, dissenters, free thinkers, revolutionaries, conspiracy nuts.

Then that mmo requires us to register ourselves on that gestapo database site...

Makes you wonder just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

My tin foil hat is in the shape of a fidora

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

tbh was realy looking forward to this game. then they said that they had a link in the game to google so you can search without leaving the game.

and next i got an e-mail about a browser based subgame that had to have a facebook acount and decided that my money is better spent elsewhere.

google is banned on my pc, i dont like the way they work or their privacy policy. as for facebook - come on, who the hell needs to have a facebook account ? dont you have any real freinds that you have to hope that someone you've never even met or are likely to meet will ask to be your friend? (and google again)

nah, i'm paranoid enough as it is without having google follow my every online move so this game wont get on my pc.

shame realy, as this looks like a decent game, wonder if they are sponsored by google?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"Everything is true" - Secret World marketing line

*shivers*

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    If I still did shrooms this would have been so much cooler.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Please remember when you use our design for tin foil hat you must use tin foil.

ALUMINUM FOIL WILL NOT WORK!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by svann

Please remember when you use our design for tin foil hat you must use tin foil.

ALUMINUM FOIL WILL NOT WORK!

You know.

I'm actually kind of surprised one of their "perk items" for this whole secret war thing isn't a tin foil hat.

Would be kind of amusing to see players running around wearing those.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Facebook being a CIA front or whatever doesnt matter.

If the government wants your info its taking it.  Just like they will break down your door and search your house if warrented(deemed by them ofc).

Anyway everything associated with computers and the internet mines your data.  Windows does and IE does, so does google, and you think that free antivirus is some nice programmer who makes and maintains the software because hes nice....

And i wouldnt discount the OP with tinfoil hat claims.  His timeline is pretty accurate on what happend there. The only leap is between his last two points.

Why would a secret gov database on its citizens result in a site where you voulenteer your info?

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Wait... So you have to have a facebook account to play The Secret World?

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Wait... So you have to have a facebook account to play The Secret World?

Ah nevermind, got some clarification.  You need a facebook account to play The Secret War, not World!  

I don't have a facebook  account and never plan to.  It would have been unfortunate to have to pass on TSW over a facebook account.

• moreblahblahmoreblahblah Member Posts: 58
    I hear when you are born, in the middle of the night while you are laying in your very first diaper sound asleep, the nurse leaves her station for a cup of coffee. At that moment 4 individuals dressed all in black wearing sunglasses rush in and place a sub dermal neural fibre transmitter link at the base of your crainium, this device will forever transmit your thoughts to a top secret government data crunching labratory. This lab is located 1 mile underground, 65.3 miles south west of Kansas City. If you drive out there you will find a densly wooded winding road, the 68th tree on the left with long hanging branches hides a covert road to the labs location. If you follow this covert road you will find a large array of antenna with a single small shed type building out in the middle of nowhere with a barb wired fence and nasty warning signs. That is the place. Just becareful, my friend went out there and when we found him in a ditch along the side of the road he couldn't even remember his name, he has never been the same since.