Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tipps & Tricks if you still have issues & Infos with some of the current issues in the game & how to

RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Hi guys! :)

I saw some threads and even it was VERY tiring, I went through countles of posts within them, even they were mostly filled with "back and forths" of opinions about ANets customer service and the like.

After I had gotten the email myself I couldn't enter the beta forums so I helped myself and grabbed the client from the pc games article, installed the game properly and got myself ready.

I just tried and noticed that I could enter the beta forums today.

The only things that you can find there are a FAQ, the how to behave in the Forums (Rules) and a short tutorial.

However, what I found useful was the "known issues thread" so I thought I'll translate(is in German in my case) some parts I found would help  to enter the game smoothly or help you to enter it at all, since some of these could prevent you to even enter it.

Not translating or posting in game issues since some might already get patched before the beta launch.

Also because it would be good to report them again so the developers can see that they are still there in case one of us will come across them.

Most of the issues thought are translation stuff for the German and French version so.... not a biggie for the UK/US versions there.

The Account Problems solutions are Tipps based on my Experience and not part of ANets FAQ or Known Issues!

HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES

- Installation of the game under the "Programms" folder under Vista/Win7 can cause patching errors

It is recommended to install the game in a different directory/folder

Make also sure to start the game as Administrator to avoid such issues.

- Activating the Anti-Aliansing feature under the AMD Catalyst Center or the AMD Vision Center can lead to a black screen in game.

- In case of a Graphic Card not responding, a tool called Windows TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) will activate itself and try to restart the graphic drivers so your graphics can recover. When this happens, a notification will pop up to let you know whats happening.

- If you are using a Alienware ATI Laptop, DON'T minimize GW2 cause there is a issue that will prevent you from maximizing again and the game will be stucked in the minimized state.

- AMD CrossFire™ and NVIDIA® SLI™ are currently not supported. Please deactivate these options before you enter the game to prevent issues.

- The activation of NVIDIA 3D VISION® can lead to game crashes in some systems. If this should occur in your case, it is recommended to deactivate this option in your NVidia Control Panel.

- It is recommended to deactivate the "Reflections" option in older or "weaker" systems to get a improved refresh rate on your monitor.

ACCOUNT PROBLEMS

- If you linked your GW1 Account to your newly created GW2 account, make sure you login with your GW1 accounts Data!

- If you used a new email address than the one you are using for your GW1 account in the creation of your GW2 when you linked your GW1 into it and you can't login in the beta forums, try the email from your GW1 account as the login and see if that works.

- If you wanna reset your password do so under your NCSoft Master Account

- Even if you can't enter the forums, you can grab the game client from here: http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

Create a Folder at the place you would like to install the game and place this file in there.

Under Win7 make sure to run it as administrator.

After the data got downloaded and closed, run it again for the patching to take place.

After you are done you should end up at the login screen and be ready for the game.

Should you get a error about Direct X 8 or 9 not being available and the client crashing, just restart it and it will continue normally, patch to the end and you are ok. This error comes to everyone that is using higher Direct X versions as far as I have seen till now.

I hope I could help a few people with this thread to enter and enjoy the game tonight.

Some issues with NPCs, Crafting and a few other stuff are known but we will have to see if they will still happen or not after we entered the game!

In case anyone would like to team up on the Eternal Grove Server pm me or try to join the guild Lords of Blood there after I created it again. :)

Thanks for reading all this and have a great day everyone! :)

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I dont understand how people havnt learned to Disable User Account Control and ignore all the problems of things like this in the first place.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I dont understand how people havnt learned to Disable User Account Control and ignore all the problems of things like this in the first place.

/slap

Don't disable UAC - It's one of the best improvements that has been made to Windows in a hell of a long time.

:)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by Zezda

/slap

Don't disable UAC - It's one of the best improvements that has been made to Windows in a hell of a long time.

Not sure if serious...

Yeah, it's good for the under average user, to stop him doing stupidities. But if you know what you're doing, you don't need UAC and it's only a nuisance.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546
    Nice thread Raekon :)

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

/slap

Not sure if serious...

Yeah, it's good for the under average user, to stop him doing stupidities. But if you know what you're doing, you don't need UAC and it's only a nuisance.

I don't want to derail the thread entirely but...

UAC is a major step toward making Windows more secure in combination with other features like ASLR. Turning it off has serious implications for both applications and also system security.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 (and Server 2008-2011) both use a token system, similar to Linux/Unix. When you log in on an Admin account you log in using a limited security token that only contains the privilages granted to standard users. The UAC prompt is the point at which you open the Administrative token to grant a specific application more privilages. If you disable UAC then upon logging in to Windows it will give you your administrative token by default. This means that any process that is executed on the computer while you are logged in with that user by default will have full access to the system.

This means that any application running in the background that is set to not display any window or such can do whatever it pleases without you ever knowing. If you go on a web page that has malware loaded into the adverts and it does a drive-by download onto your PC it will be the difference between it installing itself and then you having to spend time to remove it or if you had left UAC on it would have thrown up a prompt which would have stopped it getting on to your system. If you are unlucky and it was a piece of malware which installs itself as a driver on your system it could be so serious that you could never guarantee your system is clean. There are even a few things floating around that will happily install themselves onto the motherboad BIOS or your boot file.

On Windows 7 there is really no excuse for not having it on since they changed the tokens around a bit and it barely ever asks for your permission now. In addtion some features in windows are unable to function with UAC being turned off, IE 'Protected Mode' and File and Registry Virtulization being two that I can think of off the top of my head.

*coughs*

That aside.. good job on the OP, although I wonder how many will read stuff like this when they have issues. Maybe if someone could do a seriously comprehensive post we could get it stickied?

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

/slap

Not sure if serious...

Someone who knows what they're doing would not let UAC get in their way. So, yes, it is a bad idea to suggest this to others. Did you see the post about hackers stealing like 14M?

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I created this thread for people that don't know about the hardware issues that can occur,

so they can take care of options that have to be deactivated and be able to enjoy the game immediately,

instead of not knowing what to do when the beta starts and start looking for solutions after they got affected by these issues.

This post were supposed to help others, not start a war about opinions upon a tool so PLEASE keep it clean.

Thank you.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Emwyn

Nice thread Raekon :)

Thank you, I hope I could help with it a little. :)