Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the thread "what women think about TERA female chars..."

Think01Think01 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Hello again. I'm the original poster of the closed thread about what women think of the TERA's female chars.

First of all, I'm writing this NOT for reopening the discussion, but to thank all the partecipants and all who have given a direct answer to the question. I wrote the thread just before leaving the office and when I got home I found 18 pages full of interesting considerations and the thread closed forever. Ugh!

For what I've read, it seems to me all boils down to a personal opinion. Even on the Elin race, the feelings and motivations were very discordant. One can find the Castanic outfits sexist and out of context, while another can find it pleasurable and totally justified by the plot image

So I thought it could be interesting to run a poll about this image

Have fun!

Comments

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Results from non-scientific polls are like diagnoses from Dr. Nick on the SImpsons...

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I would have prefered an option stating 

"I'm male. I find them very pleasurable and good-looking, but think they are a cheap marketing ploy"

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

I'm a guy and I fall in the "meh" catagory.  Some outfits I find it silly more than anything and I've joked that I'm not sure if we're fighting Argon or heading to a pool party.  It was the same reaction I had to the EQ Barbarian woman's huge assests, it just made me snicker a bit if any reaction at all.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Think01Think01 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Kwansei

Results from non-scientific polls are like diagnoses from Dr. Nick on the SImpsons...

If you use the results for scientific purposes, I agree. But for fun and sake of discussion, I think a poll like this is well suited.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I would have prefered an option stating 

"I'm male. I find them very pleasurable and good-looking, but think they are a cheap marketing ploy"

I undestand. But it's impossible to match every possible detailed opinion when you have 10 choices. I tried to create the most broad statements, and anyway I wanted to stay focused on the glamour/sexist aspect.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

To be honest.  The style - including the sex appeal - is one of the things that sets this game appart and gives it its personality.  People may have conflicted opinions but I know of no other Fantasy MMO, or any other MMO for that matter which succesfully meshes high fantasy with Fashion Week in Paris to create a style all its own.

Frankly, I'm tired of my characters looking like clowns or wearing rags or yes, wearing too much (it's fantasy, remember).

My Castanic is a pimp.  I think I'll call him Guido.

• nazgerunazgeru Member UncommonPosts: 4

I wouldn't go so far as being offended (male), I just find it all to be too much. Its one thing to have armor bikinis, its another to have metal colored dental floss. They didn't just stop at having unnecessarily large breasts on the elf-like race, they have jiggle physics (its almost as bad as DOA). Are those things made of jello? The demon girl isn't just wearing a totally revealing mini skirt, she runs bent over the entire time so you always have a clear shot at her panties. And the pedo-bait, girl only race. Just ick.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Where's the option for liking the character models but not liking the armor? Seriously, I love the female humans but I just hate how as you level up it seems you're less and less covered up. Not so much offended by the armor, I like don't like it. Doesn't really make the armor really memorable or anything.

I'm male btw.

Originally posted by indojabijin

Where's the option for liking the character models but not liking the armor? Seriously, I love the female humans but I just hate how as you level up it seems you're less and less covered up. Not so much offended by the armor, I like don't like it. Doesn't really make the armor really memorable or anything.

Well, the matter here is the overall feeling you get from the character's body AND outfit (armor or whatever).

What do you hate about the fact that the char gets less covered leveling up?

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

I'm not exactly thrilled leveling up my male Priest as a Chippendale's Dancer either, but with these ANIME MMORPG's I kind of expect it.

Different cultures.  You can westernize it and localize it, but you're still going to have those fey male characters and the over-exaggerated sexual female characters.

I'm on the fence on this MMO, but am having fun figuring out if I like it or not!

Could be worse, I could be a Dwarf.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I have checked screenshots and videos on Tera and as a female gamer, I find the boob physics really in poor taste. Sure, it might be considered so ridiculous as to be humourous, but there is also something disrespectful about it. Completely over-the-top physics (the jello-like physics of womens' butts in ToR comes to mind) is a huge turn-off to me.

I also dislike the overly revealing female armour sets and though the male armor can be pretty revealing, it isn't as much or in the same way as the female armour. I do find the art direction conducive to lack of respect towards women and I am not a particularly prudish person. I played AoC, SWG and AO where there are/were rather revealing items of clothing, but it is/was egalitarian.

I hope they add some less sexualised armor. I hope they also change the little bunny girls. I find it really disturbing that they wear basically skirts so short that you could almost call them long shirts, tiny shorts, and have extremely curvacious, heavy woman hips but otherwise look like small, pre-pubescent children. There is something just not right about that.

As for the overall body shape of the non pre-pubescent girls, it is normal fantasy fare. It is a shame they don't allow for more body types, such as fat people, thin people, etc.

I found Rift and GW1 to be pretty slanted against women item sets. I thought the female cloth sets were butt ugly in Rift: bikini tops with big shoulder pads, long split skirts, and skullcaps = yuck. I hated the way my female necromancer looked so much I never rolled another female character. Same for GW1's Elementalist and Warrior. It is a shame because the female Necromancer, Ranger and Mesmer looked so cool.

Basically my rule of thumb is if my character is pretty much forced to wear a bikini top or a skirt so short that I see her underpants when she runs, or alternately if she would get arrested in real life wearing it, I am not interested in playing it. If one armour set looks completely different on the male and female characters, I am not interested in playing it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

No doubt, this game is very sexual and is why it is rated 'M'.

I'm really trying to love this game, but my priest wears pants with his zipper down revealing his lack of pubic hair and male genitalia.  I'm not sure if jiggly boobs are actually worse than being a eunuch, but I see your point.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the jiggly boobs seeing as none of the male characters have any of the usual male equipment.  I think you're safe.

• NitefoxxxNitefoxxx Member Posts: 11

Wasnt the first quest in AoC involving a tied up half naked woman and an entire game filled with homoerotic naked men...?

Sex sells, more so in other parts of the world, that doesnt mean that the majority of the rest of us doesnt want to see it, just that we're more afraid of what our spouses/mothers/friends will think if they see us watching it :D

Not sure what point im trying to make, but either way, I love the game (so far) and bouncing titties neither adds or diminishes my experience (well, maybe adds just a tiny bit...) :D

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by HeavyTraffic

No doubt, this game is very sexual and is why it is rated 'M'.

I'm really trying to love this game, but my priest wears pants with his zipper down revealing his lack of pubic hair and male genitalia.  I'm not sure if jiggly boobs are actually worse than being a eunuch, but I see your point.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the jiggly boobs seeing as none of the male characters have any of the usual male equipment.  I think you're safe.

That is the point I am making. Why can't it be more equal? It isn't so much the issue that women are sexualized but that they are the ONLY ones sexualized. Men basically are asexual in most MMOs despite being brawny. I find the lack of male bits disturbing as well. It is like the developers of most MMOs are ashamed or afraid of men as sexual entities. They ride on the coat tails of today's media which plasters women in photos everywhere while men are almost invisible.

It isn't so much that I am worried about boob physics, it is that overdoing it is very unappealing to me. I do not like playing toons who come across as ridiculous as that and it is borderline demeaning to me. I think if devs did add mens' packages, over-enhanced them, and had them bounce and sway as male characters ran around, not many people would play them.

Getting back to AO and AoC, for FC's faults they have been far more equal about this issue. In AO, men could wear skimpy bathingsuit bottoms, tarzan pants, heck... they could even wear evening gowns if they wanted to (I remember at one time the best Bureaucrat armor was Little Nelly's Black Dress... it was always funny to see a high level male Bureaucrat running around in one!). In AoC, most of the armor sets were revealing, whether on a man or a woman. I also remember the male characters being nicely proportioned overall in both games.

I am pretty tired of eunuchs too!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

First of all: I'm not against the option of sexy clothes in games. I just don't like it when it's the only option so more or less forced upon you. Some people just don't like it, can't relate or identify with it or have other reasons not to feel comfortable with it. I totally agree with MurlockDance's posts above (not having gender specific clothes would be hilarious). And yes, for example, in GW I only started to love playing my elementalist after you could get nice looking costumes. And sexy children, it's definitely not a good idea.

In the end, basically you just attract a lot less players because you cater less people, simple as that. I think a lot of game developers are missing the point (and income) because they underestimate the influence of character customisation options on people's ability to identify with their character and subsequently get immersed in (and keep paying for) a game.

But one way or another this really seems to be very hard to understand.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I chose indifferent. 

No, I'm not indifferent to the artwork, some of the female models are pleasing to look at, however when rolling a main a chose a human male because I could more easily relate to the avatar.

I would neither buy a game nor avoid it based on how it depicts female (or male) avatars however, except perhaps if all the avatars were naked, i could see myself avoiding that. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

? But it is NOT the only option. Have you really played the game yourself for longer than a week?

Armor designs depend on the race's character:

Castanic are semi succubi/incubi if that's what you want that's what you get.

High Elf are sophisticated/snobby. Most of their wear is gowns on females and suit like in men. They have some options that are a bit more sexy, but those are the exception, not the rule - thus remodeling your armor to something conservative is a non issue.

Humans are practical and average. Their armor options race from the sexier bein hotpants and jogging bra like to full suits and dresses on both genders.

Popori have nothing that remotely approaches sexuality to their outfits (that is, unless that's the way you "roll")

Elins wear little dresses commonly seen in any anime out there.

Amans are draconic, and being lizard lime and scaly means the have about as much in the way of gonads as an iguana.

Baraka are only big fat males wearing big robes and armor.

If you choose to play a Castanic, a Castanic is what you get. You have 6 other races to choose from. Plenty of choices, plenty of options. All of which can be remodeled to another armor of your choice.  Unless you are basing these assumptions on YouTube bids and hearsay.