Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is Blizzard not getting sued by Nintendo?

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2750?postid=16574095#comments_16574095

Soooooooooooooooo this looks awfully familiar

I want to be the very best!

Picking up Pet Battle Training on the beta is pretty easy, all you need to do is visit the trainer in your capital city and pick up the 2 abilities.

Update - Almost forgot about those, added something about the Pet Battle Masters.

Tracking Pets

The pet tracking changed slightly since our first preview, you now track 2 types of pets: the ones that you can't capture and are only here to let you gain XPs will show up as a small yellow dot on your map. The ones you can actually capture will show up with an easily noticeable green icon and will be flagged as capturable in their tooltip.

Fight!

The fight is started by right clicking a pet creature when you're in range (approximately 30 yards). The camera will rotate around your character and the game will switch to Pet Battle mode. From this screen you can:

• See the status of all your pets at the top left of your screen.

• Control the abilities of your active pet at the bottom.

• Switch between pets and see them by clicking the 4th icon on the bar.

• Capture pets when they're low on life!

• You can also surrender but that sounds pretty wimpy to be honest.

The battle is pretty simple, weaknesses and strengths are already implemented and if you pick the wrong type of pet you will get your ass kicked pretty fast. It ends whenever the enemy is defeated or captured.

Pet Battle Interface

Attacking!

Selecting another pet

New pet on the field!

Let's try to capture ...

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Why would they be sued by Hasbro?

Nintendo owns Pokemon.

Also, this isnt the first blatant rip off of Pokemon. If Nintendo didnt sue them they wont care about Blizzard doing it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Nintendo owns Pokemon.

Also, this isnt the first blatant rip off of Pokemon. If Nintendo didnt sue them they wont care about Blizzard doing it.

I forgot about that. I edited the title. Blizzard stands to make a shit ton of money off of this. This would be equivalent to another company just using the Star Wars IP and characters and not giving money to Lucas.

There is no way this is not going to goto court.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

you should really read up on copyright laws, especially those that apply to video games.

ninento couldnt sue if it wanted to.

whoever owns digimon would sue nintendo if nintendo could sue in the first place.

blizzard is the prince of copying games, 2nd only to zynga.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by Puremallace

Nintendo owns Pokemon.

I forgot about that. I edited the title. Blizzard stands to make a shit ton of money off of this. This would be equivalent to another company just using the Star Wars IP and characters and not giving money to Lucas.

I don't think you can patent the concept like you're referring to. If that was the case, the MMO genre would of consumed itself already for using similar gameplay concepts. Nothing by name was directly lifted, just the concept, which I can't find patented anywhere. 

You must of never heard of Order and Chaos, haha. I'd say look into that before we further debate Blizzard going to court for using similar concepts in video games.

No, no. Not right.

Also, it's nothing similar to using Star Wars IP and character names and not paying rights to Lucas. Nothing was directly lifted from Nintendo other than a possible concept. There's nothing by name being borrowed, not the IP, not the characters, nothing but a concept.

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

i doubt blizzard lawyers wouldn't have sorted through this before they started the development

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Nintendo owns Pokemon.

There are a ton of Pokemon ripoff monster/pet battle games out there.  Blizzard didn't just steal from Pokemon at this point it's a game genre or style.  There's nothing to sue about.  I mean just look at that F2P Monster MMORPG always getting advertised in the blogs here.  It's a BLATANT pokemon ripoff - the maps look exactly the same, names are the same, art style is the same, uses the same elements, etc. 

Anyway despite the similarities a lawsuit on Nintendo's part would probably just be a waste of time.

Steam: Neph

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Dear god... I thought there was going to be a different mechanic. Maybe something innovative and slightly different.. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I just do not see Blizzard raking in so much money off of this and Nintendo just sitting back and being cool with it.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Speaking of patents, isnt blizzard getting sued by worlds inc? They apparently own the patent for virtual worlds.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I just do not see Blizzard raking in so much money off of this and Nintendo just sitting back and being cool with it.

And how exactly would Nintendo prove that Blizzard was "raking in so much money" off of this one aspect of a much larger game?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Why do you think Nintendo has any right to sue?  I don't see the word Pokemon anywhere, I don't see of the characters from Pokemon, I don't see any of the names or common Pokemon related items like Pokeballs.  The game play is similar to Pokemon, whoop-de-doo - every single game genre works like this. 

Basically you are suggesting that anyone who makes an RTS game where you can build a Barracks should be able to be sued by anyone who made an RTS game where you could build a Barracks before them.  Monster/pet battles game types are in a ton of games at this point.  It's not a Pokemon thing and they weren't even the first game to do it.  Nintendo doesn't have a leg to stand on to sue anyone.

Steam: Neph

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Blizzard didn't sue the Movie Kung Fu Panda for ripping off it's Pandaren race and that was just as close to a blatent rip off as this is.

The fact of the matter is I have seen people on this Forum talk about how they would love an MMO with Pet battles like Pokemon. Now Blizzard is doing it and who knows, maybe they will get sued.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i wasnt planning on playing this battle pet system with pokemon style, but looking at this it actually looks interesting and i will try it out when MoP launches.

Theres no reason for Nintendo to sue Blizzard for taking this idea of pokemon battle pets and twist it to fit in WoW. In fact, If Nintendo sues Blizzard for adding the poke battle idea to WoW, then Blizzard should sue every WoW clone out there for the same reason. IMO

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Yep, no game can ever make animals fight because pokemon exists.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2750?postid=16574095#comments_16574095

Soooooooooooooooo this looks awfully familiar

If Nintendo was allowed to sue blizzard, then wouldnt blizzard be allowed to in turn sue Trion for Rft being so heavily copied from WoW??

If you are going to create hate threads about other games, perhaps move out of your glass house before throwing stones

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Probably the same reason PopCap didn't sue them for stealing Plants vs. Zombies.

It will be a cold day in hell before Blizzard ever creates ANYTHING original.

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

Given Blizzard's penchant for tip-of-the-hat easter eggs and such that pay tribute to great iconic gaming lore, I think this is consistent with that Blizzard flair.  As to how they aren't getting pulled into litigation over this?  I'm not lawyer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were loopholes in use of intellectual property that allow Blizzard to implement these elements in this way.

More realistically?  They're paying for the rights.  It's Blizzard.

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by AZHokie54

That's a pretty audacious statement.  I'd ask for you to clarify what you're referring to, but I've been on these boards long enough to know that people are rarely speaking from a point of fact.

That's like saying Apple has never had an original idea.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by pags411

That's a pretty audacious statement.  I'd ask for you to clarify what you're referring to, but I've been on these boards long enough to know that people are rarely speaking from a point of fact.

While Blizzard is very much like apple and takes existing ideas and maing them user friendly, what MMORPG had the dungeon finder system before WoW?  Seems like a game changing innovation to me.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Pokemon has never been well protected from copying. Hell if I know why, but my god have you seen all the crap that copied it ? Digimon, Bakugan..etc..etc, perhaps its partially because it wasn't really any copywrited idea, I mean monster rancher was coming out at about the same time..

Hell it all comes from real-life animal fighting anyway..cock fights, dog fights..etc

Now if Blizzard makes their next xpac have a minigame where you jump on blocks and eat mushrooms..Nintendo will be all up in that ass.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by evianwater

Pokemon has never been well protected from copying. Hell if I know why, but my god have you seen all the crap that copied it ? Digimon, Bakugan..etc..etc, perhaps its partially because it wasn't really any copywrited idea, I mean monster rancher was coming out at about the same time..

Hell it all comes from real-life animal fighting anyway..cock fights, dog fights..etc

Now if Blizzard makes their next xpac have a minigame where you jump on blocks and eat mushrooms..Nintendo will be all up in that ass.

Actually its commonly beleived that the digimon franchise is the brainchild of the inventor of tomagatchi (which i'm sure i spelled wrong but they are those virtual pet things) which vastly predates pokemon in all regards.

As far as why they don't sue eachother... Maybe they have more sense to let things be the way they are and not go lawsuit happy like some companies here in the US (which really has stiffled creativity/innovation in some industries)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by pags411

While Blizzard is very much like apple and takes existing ideas and maing them user friendly, what MMORPG had the dungeon finder system before WoW?  Seems like a game changing innovation to me.

I don't remember previous MMO's doing Phasing either. 

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Guys, Nintendo owns POKEMON, not every single creature battle system that human beings can think of.  Digimon is the same thing as pokemon, not sure which came first, but again, neither can sue the other because again, neither owns the rights of every possible monster battle system that people can imagine.