Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever bought a computer only to... game!?

Well, we complain a lot about subscription prices and sometimes the money we actually spend on our games, but lets be honest in here. Have your ever spent money on a computer solely for gaming purposes, or even for an specific game? or do you adapt your games to whatever machine you already have!?

I will start, I've bought a $2k PC (computers are expensive here in Brazil) just so I could enhance my experience in World of Warcraft back at the time. I played other games also, but, heck, I need to admit it, the main reason I bought that computer was so I could play WoW better...

I know it sounds crazy, but truth be told that was it.

So what about you? Have you ever bought a fresh gaming computer only to play a particular game?

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

A particular game? No

I did however spend $1000 on my current computer so that I could upgrade to games a wee bit more advanced than Morrowind and older, have yet to run into any modern game I couldn't run on at least medium graphics at optimal performace. I had upgraded my old one originally built back in the late 90's about as far as it could reasonably go, but there's a limit to how far a 2.0 Ghz single core can take you.

P.S. Just how expensive are computers in Brazil? A $500 PC  with the right specs would be enough to just about max out performance rates for an MMO with WOW's level of graphics and CPU usage, at least assuming you have the internet speed and bandwidth to match.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

While gaming certainly does drive my hardware choices I've never bought or built a computer solely for gaming. Gaming is just one of many things I do with my computers.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I built a top $2500 system to prepare for Oblivions release with the very best the market had to offer at the time. AMD FX60 processor, dual raptors, high performance ram, 7800 GTX card the works. The game was a complete waste but loved the system

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I wouldn't buy as powerful of a machine as I normally do if it wasn't for gaming, obviously.

It goes beyond that though, I wouldn't buy desktops anymore if it wasn't for gaming. I would just have a laptop or tablet or something.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Well I don't use my computer for anything else but gaming, using the internet and some basic stuff, so I would say yes.

O_o o_O

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I built 2 computers specifically for Final Fantasy XIV, I still think it was well worth it cause they are powerful as ever for the new games coming out as FFXIV had such high standards for a PC.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    I buy a new computer every 3 years and spend at least 2k minimum just to game

• lsomblsomb Member Posts: 4

Can't beat my story in terms of excess for gaming. I bought a three thousand dollar laptop which I told myself I needed for certain film and art work I do, with cutting edge hardware.

Its main function is now to play text MUDs on...

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

No because I don't have that much money =[ I actually bought a MAC for college. Yes laugh at me for buying a MAC but it let me concentrate on my studies in college. Now I have a PC for work so I can play games on it too ;]

• UniversumUniversum Member Posts: 39

I spent over 800 on this gaming laptop currently in front of me for SWTOR.  Only playing League at the moment though.  This is my third computer since 2004ish.  My last latptop lasted 3-4 years only, and that laptop was for playing WoW.  My knowledge increased though, the first laptop was a bad choice, this one I did research and got it from newegg. i5 2.4 maxed at 3.0, nvidea gt 540 and 6gb.  Should last.. another 3 years.

• gogogame789gogogame789 Member Posts: 8

too expensive for me

my computer just costs $500

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Nope...I bought every 4-5 years a new pc so far with good hardware and were doing really well playing games and using the pc for work, multimedia or other things. No need to get a new one every 2 years.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

I built my last comp, with monitors and keyboard etc.. it was $3,400.00 

And yes I did it just for gaming, (I do use it for web surfing {no pron} and forums and what-not) but I put the good hardware into it for gaming.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i've built many computers over the years. all of them were all for gaming only. every 2 years i sell the current one, build a new one.i usually build them for around 1k-1.5k.