Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware begins stealth forum censorship.

2»

Comments

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Eliandal

Originally posted by Berikai

I've often wondered how they police their forums as many curious things have happened before.

There's been times when I've looked at a thread such as (server population is dropping) only to have that thread totally disappear for 15 min plus.I mean page 1 and then gone for 15 min,then magically show up again.They also are very very agressive about combining negative threads that even resemble each other.

Honestly from what I've seen they've deleted 80% of the negative threads through combining/deleting/moving.Pretty sad when one see's fit to do this to try and cover the problem up.

If they're moderating a thread, it's hidden until they're done - and with some of the idiots that continually spew their nonsense on that board - moderating IS needed.

So, you'd rather have 50 "Bioware crewed X up again" to wade through?

Seriously, the conspiracy theories amaze me.  I've been posting there for nearly 4 years, and continue to occasionally post my thoughts (rationally and without malice - whether critical or not) and have only been modded once - and that was for calling a bimbo a bimbo :D

It's not a conspiracy theory,it is actually going on.I mean how does a person post about dropping server pops and the thread just disappear for 15+ min then reappear on the 3rd page or so?They have indeed been consolidating a multitude of threads the last 2 month's concerning low pop servers and mergers.A pretty easy way to blow it off as not important,instead of leaving all the threads open eh?

The only one's being fooled here are the people that believe everything pro EA and that they can do no wrong.

Well you need to wake up as the last boat just went down the side on this cold night.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Arkinia

the more I see other forums, the more I appreciate this one. It's come a long way and certainly has my appreciation!

you have to appreciate forums that let people squat, spread their cheeks and simply explode all over the place, i agree.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

lol

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

The times in the pictures are off in a really weird way....I thought it was because you logged out and thus changed your time zone but one of the threads is off by 7 hours, and another by 17....

Makes no sense to me, you sure the whole thing isn't just a forum bug or some kind of latency issue?

As to the thread merging every forum does that, you can't expect them to leave 50 topics about the same thing open....besides they could just delete them like forum mods have in many past games, instead of doing the work to merge them into an existing thread.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Not sure about that, could just simply be a bug, forums have bugs as well :P

what I don't like about their forum is how you have to subscribe to hte game in order to post, I have bought the game, currently un-subbed, but I can't post on the forum. I thought I have earn sufficient privilege to post on just a forum. I mean paying $60 and I can't post on the forum permanently?

The main problem I had with it because of the recent patch 1.2.0a, I think most people know they gave out 4 or 5 days of game time to past players to come back, but I have downloaded 1.2 patch, played for an hour, emergency maintenance, patch1.2.0a completely corrected my game files. the worse thing is, I can't post on the forum. I can't get help from support because my account doesn't have sufficient privilege. 

Now thats censorship.

I mean, you want to get players back to play the game, and I was honestly going to sub for one month to play patch 1.2 if not for the free game time, I was planning to go back for the oceanic servers and to finish the storylines in the game. Then Bioware decides to say I'm not important enough to get help unless I pay money and more money. I think thats just low. So I decide to not sub, no reason to enourage a game company that thinks their past players aren't worth the while.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

What is definitely true is that censorship on the official swtor.com forums is completely insane.

They are using their forums as a marketing tool, or perhaps to spare the feelings of developers, managers and shareholders.

Any negative posts will earn infractions for the poster, and over half of them will disappear.

People get routinely banned even for constructive, well-written criticism of the game (I know many who have).

Meanwhile, EA paid employees are spamming the same forum with "We love you Bioware, thanks for X,Y,Z" threads and those of course stay up and don't get "merged" with other threads despite providing no content.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Greyhooff

What is definitely true is that censorship on the official swtor.com forums is completely insane.

They are using their forums as a marketing tool, or perhaps to spare the feelings of developers, managers and shareholders.

Any negative posts will earn infractions for the poster, and over half of them will disappear.

People get routinely banned even for constructive, well-written criticism of the game (I know many who have).

Meanwhile, EA paid employees are spamming the same forum with "We love you Bioware, thanks for X,Y,Z" threads and those of course stay up and don't get "merged" with other threads despite providing no content.

I've seen this happen to friends and guild mates on the SWTOR forums as well.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Greyhooff

LOL So true I got many of warnings in my short time with that game. I've seen many of threads that were constructed very well. Were non-inflammatory and didn't take time to bash anyone from the playerbase or from EA/Bio directly.

You know what would happen to those threads? Closed within a matter of minutes / seconds. You could click the thread, read, want to post your reply whether it would've been positive or negative didn't matter; because by that time the thread was already locked away and deemed non-construtctive to the game.

BUT You could see a post that in the same instance that just white-washes over everything in SWTOR to make it seem prestine and these post would remain untouched. Many of them did not contain any constructive critiques and when the stuff they did have to speak on was just more "Oh noes the whinners." type post. Which once again would remain unmodded for the most part.

Those mods over there are out in full force /ducking as many hot-topics as possible. It's been going on since Feb. so I'm not surprised to hear it now.

1.7 Million and holding amirite?

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Moderation on official forums has been dreadful for yeras now. Unless you are fanboi, as long as you praise the game you can drivel away all you want.

Try to get cohesive aswer why posts are removed. Its some of best comedy and resembles Monthy Python:

client: "Why is this post removed"

CS: "And now something completely different: The Larch"

lol

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

They have been manipulating the threads since Before open beta lol. This link WAS about gear progression vs non gear progression and game balance issues etc.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=130776&page=4

I know because I posted on it and had some old links to it, from a  2010 topic, but now it takes you to another topic years later ironically a hate post about the game sucking. Posts dont just get locked over there, forum accounts and topics dissaper all the time. But thats because they put a bunch of raiding guild members and fansite people in charge of the forums in the first place, recipe for disaster.

Lemme see here, ah yeh I made the mistake on another post of arguing why a wow clone was a bad idea because the NGE is a disaster, but apparently under the TOR rules of conduct that counted as hate speak.

Dear ( enter name here)

You have received a warning at STAR WARS: The Old Republic.

Reason:
    -------
    Insulted Other Member(s)

Your posts were recently removed for violating the Star Wars

Trademark symbol: The Old RepublicTrademark symbol community Rules of Conduct, specifically regarding insulting other users and derailing topics. We appreciate that everyone has opinions and discussions they wish to bring to the table. However, participating in flame wars with other posters is neither constructive nor contributing to the discussion at hand. Additionally many of the posts are off topic discussions of other games and their performance which is not the posted topic of the thread. This notification is just a reminder. While no infraction points have been added to your account, we do ask that you take a moment to review our Rules of Conduct, as repeated violations could lead to disabling of your posting permissions. We encourage you to take a moment to review the Rules of Conduct. They can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct. Feel free to contact the TOR Community Team at [email protected] if you have any questions about this message or it’s contents. Thank you for respecting our position and helping us create a fun and safe environment for our community. ------- Original Post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2725988#post2725988 ---Quote--- ---Quote (Originally by Skyewauker)--- This obvious fact is what people dont see :) Glad you pointed it out. The game was doing horribly bad, due to the fact there was ZERO to do, there was a steep learning curve for new players, and the WoW monster came to be. So what you see is right when the game started to lose subscribers, they introduced the CU. They still lost subs, but as people adjusted to the CU, the numbers rose again. Well the CU could only hold the attention for so long, so numbers started to drastically drop again, bringing about the NGE. The players would have quit regardless of the NGE, as there was simply nothing to do in the game. Would the game have lost as many as fast as it did without the NGE? Probably not. It would have still lost them none the less though. The CU and NGE were brought about to save SWG. Both iterations failed. ---End Quote--- Except that it's a FALSE statement which you can clearly see by looking at the Data. http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/150k-1m.png 04/05 saw GROWTH not a Decline until the Pre NGE combat patch and the NGE patch itself. Your personal feelings about the gameplay are not relevant many people enjoyed it in its original inception, if they had built on what they had rather than sink the ship they may have held that 300K population which is 100k more than EQ2 BTW. What your spewing is insidious nonsense and almost unfactual Trolling, anyone with any sense knows what destroyed SWG and it was the NGE disaster, .. thats why Google and Wikipedia lists the NGE as the NGE disaster, I mean if people making a dictionary call the NGE a disaster, it's kind of a hint. ---End Quote--- Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow. All the best, STAR WARS: The Old Republic ***************

Now basically until the game came out and well after that Skyewauker was able to freely insult, debase any forum user he wanted because I suppose the mods agreed with him. His account a level 50 is for sale now BTW. http://www.sythe.org/showthread.php?t=1352445

All of those threads are deleted or redirected somewhere else, I also tracked down and found out most if not all the moderators during this time were, replaced. One of them now works for SOE, serves you right Donna, enjoy the Siberia of games. Bioware doesn't keep a forums log, they periodically lay waste to all thier old topics or outright delete new ones on the fly. I don't think the new people working there are any better than the last batch of losers they had.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by slipfeed

I would appear someone has decided that this post on mmorpg.com is more damaging to the game than the posts i've made on SWTOR.com and all my posts for the last two days now appear after browser catch is cleared.

That was really, really fast.

Know it or not, you guys just struck a blow for a consumer's right to complain.

Thanks.

I think it's far more likely you just simply made a boo boo, misunderstood how that forum works or forums in general, didn't do the actual checks within the threads as some other posters here did for you, and now try to deflect it with another additional conspiracy theory that sounds even weirder.

But, that's just my observation image

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by slipfeed

I would appear someone has decided that this post on mmorpg.com is more damaging to the game than the posts i've made on SWTOR.com and all my posts for the last two days now appear after browser catch is cleared.

That was really, really fast.

Know it or not, you guys just struck a blow for a consumer's right to complain.

Thanks.

Get over yourself, lol.  You're really not that important.

This entire thread is rather a joke. Anyone can visit the forums for themselves and see that threads critical of SWTOR exist, threads that offer constructive feedback exist.  And even though I support the game, I've gotten nearly a dozen warnings for denouncing some of the idiots they tolerate on their boards.

What BW doesn't allow is duplication/redundant threads. Which is fine. You all aren't special snowflakes that deserve your own thread for each idea that pops into your head--chances are your idea isn't unique anyway, and has been brought up by some else already.  In this case, BW closes the thread and directs you to the post already talking about your idea, or discussing your critique. This is good moderation because with 1.7 million subscriptions/accounts there's potential for a lot of posting redundancy and things would be moving too fast on the first pages to get noticed.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by colddog04

Slipfeed 

Old Today , 05:54 PM | #27

I still say the most fun thing to do with a sage after 1.2, is to re-roll marauder and let my cat sit on the keyboard after I target a sage...

Watching them die to the unstoppable gaming capability's of my cat is just.... hilarious.

A marauder killing a sage?... Wait people still PvP in this game?

THERE ARE NO HEROES LEFT IN MAN

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by fascism

my friend works at Bioware, i asked him about this and he said that "Slipfeed is a huge threat to SWTOR and he is even considered a threat to the future of EA its self" so yeah they know about you and how dangerous and game changing your opinions on the Jedi Sage class are.

This^^

Thanks first good laugh of the day, but hey someones gotta keep the Tinfoil industry afloat in these troubled economic times. :)

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by winter

my friend works at Bioware, i asked him about this and he said that "Slipfeed is a huge threat to SWTOR and he is even considered a threat to the future of EA its self" so yeah they know about you and how dangerous and game changing your opinions on the Jedi Sage class are.

This^^

Thanks first good laugh of the day, but hey someones gotta keep the Tinfoil industry afloat in these troubled economic times. :)

"Tin foil hat"

http://i44.tinypic.com/33wsec9.jpg

You were saying?

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by winter

This^^

"Tin foil hat"

http://i44.tinypic.com/33wsec9.jpg

You were saying?

While Slipfeed is correct, the TOR forums have been banning people for having similar views for over a year now probably two. Their attitude towards who they see as divergent voices on the forums has not changed. Having an opinion IS a bannable offense on the TOR forums.