Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Requesting SERIOUS gamers opinions

I am interested in playing WoW.  I played SWg for nearly a year then took a break and am looking to start up in the MMORPG world again.  However before commiting to WoW I am curious as to the community's opinion on a few issues.

1.)  In SWG there was a severe PvP flaw in my opinion.  During a guild "waring" week my guild and I ran into several players who seemed invincible.  They were either incredibly defense stacked or hacking.  Does this happen in WoW?  Is it possible for 4 mastered players to run into one player they cannot even harm?

2.)  I have heard there is alot of solo play in WoW.  This is fine to me since long hours are required in any MMORPG.  But my question is, are there any enemies that require larger groups to defeat?  For example, Krayt dragons in SWG would pose a serious challenge to any ONE person.  Are there beasts like this in WoW.

3.)  Last but not least, is starting at this point difficult.  I know starting at the bottom is never easy.  But is the community helpful or are the players a bunch of 12 year olds who feel it is there sole purpose to hinder anyone else's advancement.

All educated resposes appreciated.image

Comments

• BoozekBoozek Member Posts: 110

in wow most of the worthwile enemies are instanced, so you pretty much need a group to get em. You all enter the dungeon together.

pvp is abundant, so is ganking (high lvl chars sneak in to your home and just waste lowbies). this is a pain. I rolled a new char not long ago and had a hell of a time trying to level because idiotsticks would charge in and kill me. not right for folks to kill lowbies ever in any game imo. if it was a fair fight sure, but wasting newbs is nothing but 14 year old antics.

teh graphics are cartoony, but it works for the title.

no endgame content. once you hit lvl60 that's it...for now anyhow.

I'm not dissing. it's a very fun and addicting game but it has it's flaws. another is no real crafting system. I love to build stuff. not much of that in wow

• JatezJatez Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by adam_cmich

I am interested in playing WoW.  I played SWg for nearly a year then took a break and am looking to start up in the MMORPG world again.  However before commiting to WoW I am curious as to the community's opinion on a few issues.
            1.)  In SWG there was a severe PvP flaw in my opinion.  During a guild "waring" week my guild and I ran into several players who seemed invincible.  They were either incredibly defense stacked or hacking.  Does this happen in WoW?  Is it possible for 4 mastered players to run into one player they cannot even harm?

I don't think this is possible in WoW. It is pretty much hack proof from waht I've seen and heard.
            2.)  I have heard there is alot of solo play in WoW.  This is fine to me since long hours are required in any MMORPG.  But my question is, are there any enemies that require larger groups to defeat?  For example, Krayt dragons in SWG would pose a serious challenge to any ONE person.  Are there beasts like this in WoW.
    Well, if you are a high enough level you can kill anything, except an elite monster. Elites may take a group unless you are like ten levels or so higher.
            3.)  Last but not least, is starting at this point difficult.  I know starting at the bottom is never easy.  But is the community helpful or are the players a bunch of 12 year olds who feel it is there sole purpose to hinder anyone else's advancement.
    Lots of people may say the community is not nice, but I very much enjoy it. When I was starting off I had a lot of help whenever I needed. I still get help at higher levels. People will group with you also, at any level. You will level fast, and start getting friends who will contiually help you out.

I would say get WoW, it is a great game and I am still not bored after months.

Jatez -- Question Everything -- Jate

• RotAnimalRotAnimal Member Posts: 70

1) That flaw is even bigger in WoW. It's all about levels. A character 2 levels above you will in 90% of the case kill you in one on one. 10 level 10 characters wouldn't be able to kill one level 20 character. The PvP in WoW is mostly about ganking lower level characters.

2) You can easily play the game to level 60 solo or you can play the entire time a group. Most players do it solo.

3) WoW is a very noob friendly game and starting your char is the most fun part. You're not too late. On the PvP servers you can play up to level 20-30 without ever going into PvP areas so you don't have to worry about someone ganking you unless you wander into the wrong place.

Signature? I don't need no steeeenking signature!1!1!1

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by RotAnimal

1) That flaw is even bigger in WoW. It's all about levels. A character 2 levels above you will in 90% of the case kill you in one on one. 10 level 10 characters wouldn't be able to kill one level 20 character. The PvP in WoW is mostly about ganking lower level characters.
    2) You can easily play the game to level 60 solo or you can play the entire time a group. Most players do it solo.
    3) WoW is a very noob friendly game and starting your char is the most fun part. You're not too late. On the PvP servers you can play up to level 20-30 without ever going into PvP areas so you don't have to worry about someone ganking you unless you wander into the wrong place.

Ten lvl tens would easily kill a 20. The tens might bet wroked a bit but they def have a strong chance.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

I am not sure what you exactly mean with this sentence... But nobody is invincible in WoW, paladins are the next thing to it, but surely 4 vs 1 they can be defeated. Of course WoW is level based while SWG is not, so if you encounter somebody that has a skull where the level number should be, there is no way you can kill him.... not even 4 vs 1 i believe.

of course there are. they have dedicated raid instances that should be made by many characters, like 40. These places do include super boss monsters that do require all those people to defeat. even without those, there are Elite quests in the game that specifically require groups to do (or you being quite higher level than the task). Also, normal instances, non-raid, do require groups to complete succesfully.
    Starting in WoW is quite easy. the game is quite fast and replayability is good, so i doubt you will have problems to find lowbies in the newbies areas. cannot say for sure though as i play in the EU servers and those are pretty new. as for the community, it varies a lot, so it is kinda of a dice roll. Not much different from other games though, but for the numbers. in my experience, on a RP server, i am quite satisfied of the community in general. sure, couple jerks, but all in all, quite nice.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• MrViceMrVice Member Posts: 197

As far as pvp is concerned it's really a mix bag. Orignaly I started out on Arthas a PVP server, and got my pally all the way up to fourty before I got sick of the constant gank attempts. Serriously one day a buddy of mine stopped over while I was playing the game. He looked over and saw a small sheet of paper next to me with nearly 20 slash marks on it. Quizicly he asked what it was and I told him plainly that every slash mark was a rogue I killed who had attempted to gank me while grinding." God he asked how long have you been playing today. The reply was nearly 2 hours.

However since those glory days of arthas I have sinced moved to Kar' Gath a PVE server and this has pretty much eleminated my pvp woes. My gnome mage is nearly fourty five now, and I have been yet to be ganked, dispite me going pvp a few times. Incase you where wondering on a pve server it is still posible to pvp. All that pve means is that most of the time you cannot be killed by another player. However type /pvp or kill a horde or allance faction npc and you will be flaged for pvp and anybody who wishes to go pvp as well can kill you.

As far as super elite unkillable players are concerned we don't have any of THOSE in WOW. HOwever as this game is taking over DAOC roll of the premire team based PVP MMO there are quite a few skilled players out there who will literly hand you your lunch if you try anything with them. An example of this would be the 44 troll rogue I saw dueling a 52 Undead rogue in Gadgetzan. The 52 was horribley defeated. Not because the troll was a better build, but because simply he was a better player. I myself have taken down players with my pally who where near 10 levels above me unaided. But then again I"ve been doing this pvp thing for a while and WOW has it's fair share of new people to the mmo genra.

As far as unsoloable mobs are concerned WOW has it's share. Most of the game can and has been sucessfully done without the aid of a group. However there are mobs in the game that are simply impossible to get done on your own. An example of this would be Onixa on of WOW's raid bosses a drogon so tough that it offten takes two raid groups to get the job done. Or The Fire god of Azeroth the end boss to molten core which has only been successfuly defated once to my knowladge and that was by a guild who cheated to do so. *Conquest" I believe was the name. However along with this difficult stuff you'lll fiind your fair share of easy to kill mobs. Infact most classes don't have any problem taking one two or even three mobs there same level. So don't worry if you detest grouping wow is probably one of the only games on the market that allows you to have fun while soloing.

As far as comunity is concerned that truly is a mixed bag. I have meet some real fantastic people out there, however there are also quite a few 14 year old boys who care about nothing more than themselves. However most groups will forgive you if you punt these little rug rats out even in the middle of an instance. There is an /ignore fuction that works well for general chat spammers, and when I've really had a problem the GM's have been most helpfully in finding me a solution. Which has only happened really once. Overall if I had to rait WOW's comunity I would give it a 7 or average.

As to adress other issues people have brought to light let me tell you that the rumor of no high end content is well close to true. There are plenty of high end raid instances to go into and explor, howeverr these WILL require you to have a full raid of 30 to complete and aren't exactly something you can do on a whim. That being said other than that there really isn't anything to do once you hit the big six O. However being a SWG player I'm sure you used to a lack of high end content, and the game is simply so fun you find yourself creating new characters all the time just to reexperance old quests or instances.

World of warcraft while flawed is the closest thing you'll get to a perfect mmorpg thats out on the market. Serriously pick this tittle up.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

I am interested in playing WoW. I played SWg for nearly a year then took a break and am looking to start up in the MMORPG world again. However before commiting to WoW I am curious as to the community's opinion on a few issues.
    1.) In SWG there was a severe PvP flaw in my opinion. During a guild "waring" week my guild and I ran into several players who seemed invincible. They were either incredibly defense stacked or hacking. Does this happen in WoW? Is it possible for 4 mastered players to run into one player they cannot even harm?
    2.) I have heard there is alot of solo play in WoW. This is fine to me since long hours are required in any MMORPG. But my question is, are there any enemies that require larger groups to defeat? For example, Krayt dragons in SWG would pose a serious challenge to any ONE person. Are there beasts like this in WoW.
    3.) Last but not least, is starting at this point difficult. I know starting at the bottom is never easy. But is the community helpful or are the players a bunch of 12 year olds who feel it is there sole purpose to hinder anyone else's advancement.

1. No, the classes are fairly balanced. Not perfect(impossible) but if two people know how to play their classes the outcome will be very close(not even including potions which will be used in pvp) assuming similar level and gear. I'm not sure what you mean by master player but you'll need to be within +-5 levels of a class to even compete 1v1. No class will win against two other players of equal level, although some classes require more "skill" than others.
    2. If you like solo play there is plenty of solo. I prefer group play and have had very few problems finding a pickup group when I don't group with guildies. You will need a 5-man group for most instances, and this is where you get all that good gear that will give you an advantage in pvp(otherwise you can be a solo farm bot and buy it from the auction house). There are also plenty of elite quests that will range from 2-5 people to complete.
    3. This depends on the server I've heard people in the forums complain about the community, but like the real world you know there are a lot of idiots out there. Just like the box says gaming experience may vary. This game will attract more rts/fps gamers than most mmorpg's so there's probably a greater population of l33t dudes than everquest. It will be tougher for you because a lot of people have raced to level up there characters on pvp servers, and the newbie areas will be less crowded with people spamming for groups. But like any good pvp mmorpg should be, it only takes a couple months to get max level.

I think it's a great game and you should give it a chance, but just like any other game you'll just have to try it and see if you like it. Since the reward system is not in place, pvp is now a matter of pride and there's a ton of pvp action on my server with large raids taking place every weekend. So if you enjoy pvp and want a new game this is definitely going to be a good choice.

• hell_fire_69hell_fire_69 Member Posts: 129

Well ive been playing WoW since it came out and yo do come encounter with players in PvP that do seem invincble but blizzard has sucred there system to allow no hack what so ever they even banned accounts with the smallest of hacks such as a speed increasement whcich is only a very minor speed increment. SO in my opinion i dont think ull ahve problems with that. yes there are alot of things you need to do in groups actually almost all of the things after lvl 20 or so but not all bosses if your good enough. such as in scarlet monastary there is a boss callled doan and he is a challenge but hes alite mage like person and is very hard to one person even to a group to around his lvl. but rogues can stealth right to teh point of your Quest instead of killing like a 100 guys to do one thing. And your last question no its not hard when your first time playing unless you do Quest to soely get one person. but like quest such as kill 10 quilboars tahts not hard but you would have to stratigize to make it easy so you wouldnt attarct 5 guys instead of only 1.

• InstagoInstago Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by RotAnimal

1) It is not all about levels. My mid 30s (33-35) t-man group killed a 4-man group of 3 high thirties (35-38) and thier 1 level 60 hunter. The PvP is great in this game; knowing what to do and how to do it gives you a great advantage and a much higher chance to win any PvP fight.

2) It takes many days of play time to reach level 60 on any character; without a group this is extremely tedious of a task to reach level 60. Once level 60, you will want to be in groups for the loot and because the high-end content is very difficult.

3) It will be very hard and inconvenient to play 20-30 on a PvP server without even experiencing any PvP at all. Playing 20-30 with no PvP events would mean having to hop from continent to zone to continent hourly. Yes, this is a very new-player friendly game, though, the survival of the fittest still applies; only the strong (and intelligent) will survive.

In conclusion; go for it. This game is great. I played EverQuest for 5 years and this completely blows away most of the experiences I ever had in that game. The only thing World of Warcraft may be lacking is a mature community; don't worry about it though- the community has matured immensely.

And now for the original poster:

... 1.) In SWG there was a severe PvP flaw in my opinion. During a guild "waring" week my guild and I ran into several players who seemed invincible. They were either incredibly defense stacked or hacking. Does this happen in WoW? Is it possible for 4 mastered players to run into one player they cannot even harm?
    2.) I have heard there is alot of solo play in WoW. This is fine to me since long hours are required in any MMORPG. But my question is, are there any enemies that require larger groups to defeat? For example, Krayt dragons in SWG would pose a serious challenge to any ONE person. Are there beasts like this in WoW.
    3.) Last but not least, is starting at this point difficult. I know starting at the bottom is never easy. But is the community helpful or are the players a bunch of 12 year olds who feel it is there sole purpose to hinder anyone else's advancement.

1) It is impossible for four mastered players to run into one player that they cannot even harm, with the exception certain classes, but only for a short, 15-30 second duration <--- That skill has a cooldown, so do not worry about abuses, and it can be de-buffed.

2) There are elite beasts which are much more difficult to slay than a beast of the same level. A level 20 elite beast could be compared to a level 26 normal beast.

3) There are many helpful players; those immature players you speak off are only found occasionally. Most of the immature players are also learning that being immature gets them no where, so they are changing their ways to be much more helpful- I've seen this myself :).

Good luck with your future journeys in the lands of Azeroth!
    ::::28::

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

An example of this would be the 44 troll rogue I saw dueling a 52 Undead rogue in Gadgetzan. The 52 was horribley defeated. Not because the troll was a better build, but because simply he was a better player. I myself have taken down players with my pally who where near 10 levels above me unaided

When asking for a review a good bit of advice is don't believe everything you read on message boards.

• drewddrewd Member Posts: 238

you cannot hack in wow::::23::

• MrViceMrVice Member Posts: 197

I am now only to ashamed I didn't take screenshots. While you might might this is a simply impossible challange, you do not account for people who know how to properly move around in a duel, and players who don't quite understand how to pvp. I never said anything that would vaguly imply that the undead was infact a brillaint player, just that he got, as they say, owned.

Mr Vice out.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

there are some ppl that use 3rd party programs but to my knowledge there is no way to make your toon "invincible". PvP balancing continues to be a work in progress but there doesnt seem to be any blatent hacking going on.
    Solo play is both viable and fun. never before have i had the same solo experience in a game than i have had in WoW. I only group for what is called "Elite" quests that require a group to complete. The rewards for these group dungeon crawls is usually quite nice and its fun to break up the soloing with some group play here and there as well.
    This game is very simple to grasp and play, no matter how old/new the server u are on is, but it is difficult to master (PvP, talent building, etc..). But make no mistake, the community is WoW is somewhat lacking. it's my ONLY complaint about the game. i have played on both sides, and find the horde side a bit more mature, but that is just personal experience. im sure some would argue this.
    I've been playing MMOs for almost 10 years now, and i've pretty much played them all. (FFXI, EQ1&2, AC 1&2, SWG, SB, DAoC, WoW, AO, EVE, RoE, ...) I would have to say WoW would make it into my top 3 easily. very fun game. image

Joined - July 2004