Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I played the game for 3 and a half minutes - And it's the worst thing I've ever seen"

1235»

Comments

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by kanezfan

Why do so many of you suffer from MMO Stockholm Syndrome? Why do you think it's OK to play games that suck and defend them?

I played the beta for get this, 10 minutes. In that time I saw a MMORPG that was different in one way, the combat. Other than that, I was bored with what I saw. What I got out of that 10 minutes is that this is just another game with levels and a gear grind, with ? ! quests, where I'm told to kill 10 pigs and collect eyeballs. A game with tanks, healers, and dps, groups and raids. I logged out and uninstalled it right there.

I've been doing these things for 10+ years. I no longer wish to do these stale things. I will not pay to do these things anymore.

If you're going to reply to this then explain this one thing to me. Why is the onus on the players to suffer through the boredom that is the beginning of this MMO? Open your eyes people. You should demand more entertainment from game developers. I mean really, why do I have to slog through this same old crap until level 20? Why do I have to tell myself "OK dude, I know this sucks for now and it feels like a chore, but let's stick it out to level 20 because I hear it gets better then." I refuse to do that. That's what real life is about. I play games to get away from real life. In real life, I have to wait in line for an hour to ride Space Mountain at Disney World. I'm not going to do that in a video GAME. I play GAMES to have FUN. I refuse to buy this game AND pay $15 a month to have to slog through 20 levels lol.

I just don't understand why you people keep this crap going. By buying these games, all you're telling game devs is that hey it's cool, keep making the same old boring dogshit, we'll keep lapping it up from you.

Wake up people. Personally I think this game is headed for total disaster. I don't understand the hype behind it. I think it's going to be lucky to have 200k-300k initial buys, honestly.

And yes I can't wait for GW2 to come out because I really want to play something new and innovative, but also so that I can stop reading game forums with these types of threads. You people make me crazy.

Why do you assume everyone thinks like you? lol

You apparently misread his post, because to me it clearly is asking why people think differently than he does. He's not assuming the opposite.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Vannor

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.

I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.

If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

So your telling us they shouldn't be entertaining from the start. hmmm

I didn't say that. hmmm

In a way you disagreed but you agreed least that's what it looks like.

Unless we're saying a long learning curve isn't entertaining :(.

How about an entertaining learning curve, because levels in Tera take awhile to get too :/ at least 1-20.

I mean do you disagree that in a video game one must do stuff he/she does not like in order to hope he/she will have fun O.o?

But if that's not what your saying you must agree in part at least of what the person you disagree with :/

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by RizelStar

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.
    I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.
    If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I didn't say that. hmmm

How about an entertaining learning curve, because levels in Tera take awhile to get too :/ at least 1-20.
    I mean do you disagree that in a video game one must do stuff he/she does not like in order to hope he/she will have fun O.o?
    But if that's not what your saying you must agree in part at least of what the person you disagree with :/

I wasn't talking about if a game is fun for you or not. I was talking about the need for game developers to ease people into their mmos. Of course if a game is not fun for you, then don't play it. Some people get bored because the beginning is nothing new and is boring and slow. Other people, who don't have the same mmo experience as you, may value the mild learning curve. While others, look past possibility that some games have simple starting areas to acclimate newcomers, and work their way up to the content that is more their pace.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Originally posted by RizelStar

I didn't say that. hmmm

I wasn't talking about if a game is fun for you or not. I was talking about the need for game developers to ease people into their mmos. Of course if a game is not fun for you, then don't play it. Some people get bored because the beginning is nothing new and is boring and slow. Other people, who don't have the same mmo experience as you, may value the mild learning curve. While others, look past possibility that some games have simple starting areas to acclimate newcomers, and work their way up to the content that is more their pace.

I have to agree with the previous posters claiming that the fun should start from the beginning. A game should be able to grab me from lvl1, which in TERA's case it didn't. I played till lvl14 and was finding it a second job. Why would anyone bear through something they don't personally enjoy, in order to get to an arbritary goal in the future that may or may not be fun? I mean... there's a lot of games that are fun right from the start, why should I toil towards a set level goal before being allowed to have fun, when I can have fun in other games right away? (And yes, this is what was the dealbreaker for me with TERA.)

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Nefera

I have to agree with the previous posters claiming that the fun should start from the beginning. A game should be able to grab me from lvl1, which in TERA's case it didn't. I played till lvl14 and was finding it a second job. Why would anyone bear through something they don't personally enjoy, in order to get to an arbritary goal in the future that may or may not be fun? I mean... there's a lot of games that are fun right from the start, why should I toil towards a set level goal before being allowed to have fun, when I can have fun in other games right away? (And yes, this is what was the dealbreaker for me with TERA.)

Because to me working hard early on and been able to enjoy something works for me. It works for lot of things in real life (most thing in real life) so i don't get how it can't work for a game. If I'll really love the game by lvl 20, i don't care if i have to spend the 6hrs to get to lvl 20 enjoy the fun. You know for some of us having to work for an award make the award much more awarding. Just like creative games, if you play minecraft and had to collect all your material to build your castle compare to if you just built it with infinate item. The feeling after builting it completely different.

Same reason why people who work for their money value money much more no matter how rich they are compare to people who don't have to work for it.

I mean not everyone thinks like this but you know some people do.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I thought I was playing TOR with different skins, kinda freaked me out!

I am going to wait on this, if I am disappointed in a couple other mmos I am looking at, and once I see more information on a few areas that I think may be shallow/missing with Tera, I may try it, probably going to let it settle for a little bit first though, and see if the areas I am looking at get fixed/added.

Why is everyone getting so touchy around here, not everyone is going to like what you like, it seems the Diablo3 and Tera people are getting a little upset about anything said.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Because to me working hard early on and been able to enjoy something works for me. It works for lot of things in real life (most thing in real life) so i don't get how it can't work for a game. If I'll really love the game by lvl 20, i don't care if i have to spend the 6hrs to get to lvl 20 enjoy the fun. You know for some of us having to work for an award make the award much more awarding. Just like creative games, if you play minecraft and had to collect all your material to build your castle compare to if you just built it with infinate item. The feeling after builting it completely different.

Same reason why people who work for their money value money much more no matter how rich they are compare to people who don't have to work for it.

I mean not everyone thinks like this but you know some people do.

It's not really about the work involved, I liked EQ and FFXI for the work/time spent. It's the enjoyment of the ride.

You also cannot compare it to the real world as games are an escape from the RL, we need to work to pay the bills, food, a place to live in. Some of us have the opportunity to do something we love while others don't.

If I don't like how the game plays the first 20 lvls, I'm sure not gonna like afterwards, I'll probably like it less since it was dreary up to it. If you like how it plays, combat mechanics, animations, stroy etc. then yes, you can say working for something gives better rewards.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Xthos
    I thought I was playing TOR with different skins, kinda freaked me out!

I am going to wait on this, if I am disappointed in a couple other mmos I am looking at, and once I see more information on a few areas that I think may be shallow/missing with Tera, I may try it, probably going to let it settle for a little bit first though, and see if the areas I am looking at get fixed/added.

Why is everyone getting so touchy around here, not everyone is going to like what you like, it seems the Diablo3 and Tera people are getting a little upset about anything said.

It seems to go both ways. Not everyone is going to hate what you hate. And some people cannot let it go without bashing it to hell and berating people who actually like something they don't. I've seen people on these forums blame others for "ruining" the genre just because they like certain games.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

DannyGlover speaks the truth! I agree.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by whisperwynd

It's not really about the work involved, I liked EQ and FFXI for the work/time spent. It's the enjoyment of the ride.

You also cannot compare it to the real world as games are an escape from the RL, we need to work to pay the bills, food, a place to live in. Some of us have the opportunity to do something we love while others don't.

If I don't like how the game plays the first 20 lvls, I'm sure not gonna like afterwards, I'll probably like it less since it was dreary up to it. If you like how it plays, combat mechanics, animations, stroy etc. then yes, you can say working for something gives better rewards.

The psycological part is still the same. When you work toward an award you usually cherish the award more. Its not uncommon to have that feeling on video games too.

Again its not everyone, i like the game so i'm willing to work through the dryness, but if you don't like the game than ya you don't want to work through the dryness because its all dry to you.

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

The subject of your thread in not the strongest.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't think I've ever felt this way about a game,

But I do believe that TERA's first... 10... or so levels are probably the worst part of the game.  I get a sense that the game gets a heck of a lot more entertaining as you go down it.  Which in MMORPGs.. for me... generally is the other way around.

Still not sure I'll buy it or not though... The character generation in the game was pretty disappointing... Can't even choose eye color? Its an odd generator for sure.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Sideras

If the game hasn't sparked your interest in the first 15 minutes they've done something wrong. Not saying the entire game is bad but it should be fun from the start or like I said, interesting.

Remember the first time you went into WoW and everything just felt so damn polished? Smooth controls, character animations, intuitive UI and most of all people didn't need a tutorial. For it's time that was a pretty big thing.

But for me it did get my attention long before the 15 minute mark.

When did you start playing WOW, because it was nothing like that at launch.  The infamous loot bug was enough to drive most folks crazy, then there were the long queues, server crashes that resulted in lots of extra free time and even in game, things weren't nearly as polished as you are describing.  (that came much later)

And while I agree there should be something of interest in an MMO, I actually did not enjoy playing WOW until I was well into my 2nd character, (my first being a level 14 Druid) and I really didn't care for the game much until my Paladin at launch got up around level 20 or so.  (My first priest took me almost 30 levels to really enjoy)

Point is, if a Tera turns you off in the first 5 minutes, then you really were looking for something totally different from standard theme park MMO's so this is definitely not your game. (nor will any other be except perhaps GW2)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

One aspect of a game that can turn me off of it in a few minutes is clunky controls.  Other than that and maybe bugs/crashes, I'll play longer to get a feel for the gameplay.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MelodicMelodic Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Kyleran

Point is, if a Tera turns you off in the first 5 minutes, then you really were looking for something totally different from standard theme park MMO's so this is definitely not your game. (nor will any other be except perhaps GW2)

This is exactly what I felt. TERA aside from fun first impression of combat after 5 minutes felt like ordinary mmo with nothing new. I found myself forcing to play it... 

I read so much about how great the game is and videos looked really awesome. I am very disappointed.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Jayaris

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

I knew within first few minutes of watching The Phantom Menace that the movie is a failure. I also knew SWTOR is even worse than I expected after first few minutes of trying the beta. The first example proves that one can extrapolate an opinion from a very small sample in some cases. The second example demonstrates that months of research leading up to a release can also give you a solid base to give a credible opinion based on seconds/minutes of gameplay - because I've already seen hours of gameplay material before, all I need is a short hands-on to confirm my suspicions. As long as you have some experience and common sense, and know how things work, you don't need to waste 60$ and a few months to be credible.

That being said, I'm not saying TERA is bad, I just don't care about it. It's not doing anything relevant to the MMO revolution, unlike GW2, Archeage or TSW - the Big Three.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by gladosrev2

That being said, I'm not saying TERA is bad, I just don't care about it. It's not doing anything relevant to the MMO revolution, unlike GW2, Archeage or TSW - the Big Three.

And if your wrong about those three?  Have you thought about that prospect.

probably not because you believe in the hype.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

It seems to go both ways. Not everyone is going to hate what you hate. And some people cannot let it go without bashing it to hell and berating people who actually like something they don't. I've seen people on these forums blame others for "ruining" the genre just because they like certain games.

QFT

This discussion has been closed.