Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics?

I play SWTOR. The graphics for TSW don't seem to be as good. Am I correct or just not seeing good screen shots? Super graphics aren't  a really big deal, just curious.

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Have you played Age of Conan? If you remember the graphics in there they are about the same I would say but just a smidge more cleaned up.

I think SWTOR uses the HERO engine and to me makes the game a little cartoony or painted look. Where TSW/AOC use their own Dreamworld engine giving it a little more realistic look.

To each their own. I prefer the graphics in TSW/AOC over SWTOR if we're judging both games just on their graphics.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

You can't be serious... are you? o.O

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

OP can't be serious...

• dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

I can only assume its the screenshots you are looking at. Check out some PAX videos. The GFX are more refined and realistic looking than SWTOR (which I would compare to WoW's GFX, a bit dissapointing really).

Beta starts in May for TSW, so you'll see more videos.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

just look these, some of then are almost 2 years old

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

TSW will probably have the best graphics engine at launch. Dynamic lighting, Ground tesselation and so on are features you don't see in other games. For instance, instead of gravel at the side of the road being flat geometry with a texture on top of it to make it look bumpy, they actually make the geometry from the bumpy texture and make bumpy geometry. This means that if look at it from a sharp angle you will see pieces of gravel sticking up from the ground, instead of a flat blurry texture.

Some more details here:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-the-most-technologically-advanced-mmo-to-date/

I don't think they have showed the tesselation in any gameplay videoes or screenshots yet, so it does feel like they are holding back for a stunning launch.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I wouldn't get your hopes up it doesn't look any better graphically than AoC, a few years ago it would have looked great.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Thnx for all the feedback! Sorry, was serious, guess I was a goof? Anyhow, not trolling, not my style. Thank you again!

RPGALON tried to thank you for the posts with the pretty pics but it was marked as spam. So thank you!

Part of the reason i was asking and ive looked for this video but cant find it, is that i saw a vid where a woman was walking through a swamp, it was gameplay footage, and it looked nice but not great.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

TSW will probably have the best graphics engine at launch. Dynamic lighting, Ground tesselation and so on are features you don't see in other games. For instance, instead of gravel at the side of the road being flat geometry with a texture on top of it to make it look bumpy, they actually make the geometry from the bumpy texture and make bumpy geometry. This means that if look at it from a sharp angle you will see pieces of gravel sticking up from the ground, instead of a flat blurry texture.

Some more details here:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-the-most-technologically-advanced-mmo-to-date/

I don't think they have showed the tesselation in any gameplay videoes or screenshots yet, so it does feel like they are holding back for a stunning launch.

Thanks for the video, that's a good one!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by ashleymorrow

I play SWTOR. The graphics for TSW don't seem to be as good. Am I correct or just not seeing good screen shots? Super graphics aren't  a really big deal, just curious.

lol your probably seeing the hi rez texture "screenshots" for swtor that aren't in game.

All these upcoming mmos - TSW, tera, gw2, planetside2 - look better than swtor.  tera probably looks the best, but has soimewhat questionable art style.

Originally posted by rpgalon

just look these, some of then are almost 2 years old

i love shot 4 - the deepone - awesome looking mob that

Some more details here:

I fear a bit of an AOC here.  people on mid and high end AMD cards getting crappy performance.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I will admit that I lost interest in TSW when they revamped the PvP about a year ago. But the gameplay footage I have seen do not look all the great, Any video release by the developers is going to look better than gameplay footage.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I will admit that I lost interest in TSW when they revamped the PvP about a year ago. But the gameplay footage I have seen do not look all the great, Any video release by the developers is going to look better than gameplay footage.

I'm going off "unoficial" videos.  It looks really good, much better than swtor, somewhat better than GW2, overall probably tera too, tera has more impressive engine perhaps, but tsw has better art. 

That said graphics aint everything, im most stoked for plaentside 2 followed by gw2.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Some more details here:

I fear a bit of an AOC here.  people on mid and high end AMD cards getting crappy performance.

No need to worry. AoC and TSW are using the same engine now. They ported AoC over a while back. They should have the performance issues ironed out.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I think the problem with TSW is that though its engine allows for more realism than SWTOR, because it is set in modern day and lacks stylisation, any flaws, especially in the character models is that much more obvious. GW2's engine isn’t as good but the art style really makes up for it, PS2 and TERA also have great engines, and for me TERA's looks best, both in background and in characters. TSW will always be held back by the uncanny valley effect for its humans, but the environments and monsters will be second to none. I don't think the style of SWTOR ever really worked anyway, I agree with a previous poster, too plastic, a consistent style is good, but not if it dates the overall look.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by zevni78

I think the problem with TSW is that though its engine allows for more realism than SWTOR, because it is set in modern day and lacks stylisation, any flaws, especially in the character models is that much more obvious. GW2's engine isn’t as good but the art style really makes up for it, PS2 and TERA also have great engines, and for me TERA's looks best, both in background and in characters. TSW will always be held back by the uncanny valley effect for its humans, but the environments and monsters will be second to none. I don't think the style of SWTOR ever really worked anyway, I agree with a previous poster, too plastic, a consistent style is good, but not if it dates the overall look.

this, the realistic style is a weakness...

but if you played the game, you will know that the feel you get from this style is amazing, also, one thing Funcom does that no other MMO company out there comes close, is the amount of detail they put on their environment.

this screenshot is almost 2 years old, but just look at the amount of detail it has!

Love it!

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

I have to agree with the op and say that I do enjoy the graphic from SWTOR more than the one in TSW. Why? When a game tries to mimic how the real world looks like it becomes rather blunt and not so well done- the real world is a hard topic to mimic. And I also enjoy my games more when they are more cartoonish mainly because games are for me a small time off from the real world. Hope you guys understood me now :) 

I did however not enjoy SWTORs game mechanics just fyi :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • GvonHellGvonHell Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by mymmo

I have to agree with the op and say that I do enjoy the graphic from SWTOR more than the one in TSW. Why? When a game tries to mimic how the real world looks like it becomes rather blunt and not so well done- the real world is a hard topic to mimic. And I also enjoy my games more when they are more cartoonish mainly because games are for me a small time off from the real world. Hope you guys understood me now :) 

Have you even seen any TSW footage? SWTOR look like its 5 years older then TSW graphically.

And bioware didnt try to make the game look cartoonish, they just used awful textures.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by GvonHell

Originally posted by mymmo

Have you even seen any TSW footage? SWTOR look like its 5 years older then TSW graphically.

And bioware didnt try to make the game look cartoonish, they just used awful textures.

Yes Ive seen the footage and the videos.  Have you understood the concept of taste?  

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

Personally I think that the videos of TSW look far superior to TOR. SWTOR had a very cartoony feel to it. I'd rather see an attempt at detailed realism (even though it will be outdated in no time). As a Star Wars fan I was disappointed that SWTOR wasn't a better game. I was really hoping it would be. I think TSW has a lot of potential. If you haven't checked it out, take a look at the Secret War and join in! http://secretwar.thesecretworld.com/ 

- Leiros

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by ashleymorrow

that is just taste in graphics.  you may think they aren't good, i find them really good since i've been waiting forever for a real world mmo.

personally i found SWTOR to look like crap, the models are really hackish in design, like WoW.   where half the armor is nothing but textures slapped on to a generic model that takes up the torso and legs.  at least TSW attemps to create objects and models that look real, full of detail.

SWTOR has nothing on SWG, SWG looked like the things in it could exist in reality.