Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If your debating TERA... read

1235»

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I was really excited about Tera went Open Beta this weekend, until I saw that it was not possible for me to download it before the event is over...

I was really excited about Tera, but when I see that Guild Wars 2 is nearing soon without any subscription fee, I really cant find a reason why I should play a game that will be like Guild Wars 2 - with a subscription fee.

If it was Buy2Play I would deffy go for it.

Aion, SW:TOR and APB lurks to much in the background and wont do another fail-buy.

It can be B2P if you work for it lol. Because Tera has the chrono scroll system where people can sell game time for gold (ofc they are limited on amount they can buy) so just like EVE you can buy the game and never have to pay a sub fee if you make enough money. Ofc if your playing casually this won't work so well.

But then the games suddently turns out to be a second job rather than a game.

A friend of mine has a 10mbit yet he download with 12 kb/sec suddently.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

So, as a disclaimer, I am a GW2 fanboi, so take my thoughts with several grains of salt.

I played some of the open beta this weekend (only a warrior  to lv 16), as well as checked Tera forums and watched youtube guides, and I must say, I think this game is terrible. At least for me.

Its just filled with a ton of really bad design descisions that ruin the experience to me.

Im 30, and in the game industry, unmarried but with a longstanding relationship (If my demographics mean anything) and I've played most every MMO since EQ ( I never did get to play UO)

Although the art is great (its my favorite part of the game), the combat was clunky. Timing was the most important part of my chosen class, and the aiming element seemed tacked on. I didnt feel like it contributed anything. It could have been a tab-target system and not lost anything. The worst to me was chains. It automated combat in the worst way. It was not helpful against BAM's but most of the content was attack, chain, chain, chain, dead. The only interesting element was looking for moster ques and dodging attacks.

After reading some of the posts in this forum, the questing may get better after lv 20, but ap to 16 it is mind-numbingly bad. Kill X of Blank. Over. And Over. Again. Do you really need to get 20 levels (out of 60) to have a game show you what it can do?. Thats just a terrible design choice. I don't have the time to invest in a game that might become interesting after hours of dull repeditive combat. And beyond the repetition of quest types, it often put me up against the same enemy, renamed, again and again. In the starting zones, after the shipwreck intro, I was constatly competing with all the other players to tag enemies and get credit. It makes me want to reach through my computer and strangle people.

I nad no experience with PvP, so that may be fantastic and a huge draw for people, but with what I saw of combat, I don't think I would enjoy it. And

Class design was one of the worst elements. I dislike having to repurchase skills I have in better incarnations. It is a cheap and artifical way to add content. Skill I, Skill II, Skill III, etc. Moreover, many classes have skills that become totally obsolete. This again is a sign of terrible game design. The Mystic, in particular, has a very unique healing method, which I thought was interesting, but it also has a skill that completely circumvents a core gameplay mechanic, that of useing basic attacks to build mana.

All in all, that game feels like every other game I've played, and in many respects, other games just do it better. I am happy if this is the game for you, but as the title suggests, read all the opinions before making a choice.

EDIT: I make this post mostly because I had great hopes for this game, and it did not meet them. I know others will like those things I had a problem with, but others, like me, have been watching this game, and may find these problems things they were worried about.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by hotix

Great post Ray so true about the demographs.

Most of the people on this site are pve carebears. Look at where the mmorpg guild rolled. Real tough guys there... LOL. I know this post will get deleted but if you're going to talk shit back it up. Going on a pve server and acting tough in forums hahahah pussies. Most of the people saying Tera sucks got griefed to hell outside of lumbertown. Thank you for letting me be someone to ruin your gaming experience. Go back to WoW or GW2 and have agreement pvp. Maybe we can agree to let you blow me after I rape you in the game. Finally I don't have to listen to you cry babies any more because get this I have a game that wants you to open world pvp. Talk shit get split. Man what a lovely system.

In conclusion, yes agreement pvp blows. Battlegrounds are agreement pvp. Anything non openworld is agreement pvp. If I wanted agreement pvp I'd go play COD or BF3. Those games do it better than any mmo and will always do it better. Anyone who wants to get revenge please come to jagged coast server. I'll be there waiting, i'm max lvl and will happily great you on lumbertown bridge.

L   O    L

He's got his 12 sided die and he's ready to roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOB7VWjlSQ

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Most of the people on this site are pve carebears. Look at where the mmorpg guild rolled. Real tough guys there... LOL. I know this post will get deleted but if you're going to talk shit back it up. Going on a pve server and acting tough in forums hahahah pussies. Most of the people saying Tera sucks got griefed to hell outside of lumbertown. Thank you for letting me be someone to ruin your gaming experience. Go back to WoW or GW2 and have agreement pvp. Maybe we can agree to let you blow me after I rape you in the game. Finally I don't have to listen to you cry babies any more because get this I have a game that wants you to open world pvp. Talk shit get split. Man what a lovely system.

In conclusion, yes agreement pvp blows. Battlegrounds are agreement pvp. Anything non openworld is agreement pvp. If I wanted agreement pvp I'd go play COD or BF3. Those games do it better than any mmo and will always do it better. Anyone who wants to get revenge please come to jagged coast server. I'll be there waiting, i'm max lvl and will happily great you on lumbertown bridge.

L   O    L

He's got his 12 sided die and he's ready to roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOB7VWjlSQ

Just kidding around man. I agree with all of your statements/ opinions... it's just the ePeen stuff gets old sometime. Peace.

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

sick of the high fantasy genre

saw the opening cinematic that everyone was saying looked great and to me it looked boring, clunky, uninspired, and not something I would ever waste money on

so, I will pass

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Did you have to write this for your parody school homework?

Classic example of  why your faves will always be niche environments.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by Himemiya

Fck me sideways until the cows come home. I'm getting fed up reading the same complaints about the self-rooting. 

There's. a. reason. for. it.

Which is what exactly?

TERA claims to have "real action combat", which IMO is fast paced and fluid combat with lots of movement. Self Rooting slows down the pace, makes it less fluid and restricts movement.

As many others have said, its not the ONLY reason I dont like this game, there are several others including the very very generic setting, the lack of immersion, the lack of any story that draws you in, the poor quality music, the overly shiny child like graphics, the quests that pretty much ONLY consist of "Kill 10 X" etc etc. I could go on.

Adding self routing is just another failure in a sea of fail for this game. 

Now...not liking the game is one thing, but some of the things you listed...really?

generic setting? well, to an extent...but I can think of one game not yet released that has at least a somewhat not generic setting

poor quality music? that's simply not true

child like graphics? I don't really see how one could find it childish, much less childish than other games on the market right now, or yet to be released.

The quests? well, that's pretty much every MMO currently out...

Originally posted by prizm1234

saw the opening cinematic that everyone was saying looked great and to me it looked boring, clunky, uninspired, and not something I would ever waste money on

so, I will pass

judges books by cover. still looking for good book.

can't say I'm surprised.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Can someone help this guy out, let him know it is a game, it's not real.....Killing pixels does not make you a killer...

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Originally posted by prizm1234

so, I will pass

judges books by cover. still looking for good book.

can't say I'm surprised.

lol

says the guy who judged a book by its cover

found plenty of good books thanks, dont need you to tell me what i would consider a good book

• KrivKriv Member UncommonPosts: 1

Originally posted by raystantz

My and martial status is important because it tells you what demographic I come from.

I'm not a teenager or whatever. I'm a mature adult with a paying job. My opinions are going to be different than a 13 year old whose parents are paying for the game..

You have to take those things into account.

As of now I have no plans of playing GW2. No world PVP is a game breaker for me. 

I appreciate the demo info.  It helps to understand the pov of the author.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Rivalen

But, does it have world pvp?

I'm obviously joking and i'm glad this game adds those elements.

I might try it out, but at this point the sub fee is keeping me away.

Ya 50 cents a day for someone employeed is a deal breaker........

• Ricket2012Ricket2012 Member Posts: 3

Seriously lore is just one small page ...

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/lore

• ThemehosptalThemehosptal Member Posts: 48

''I'm 30 years old. I have a 4 year old, and I'm married''

So glad I stopped reading there. Surprised you didn't open with ''As a mother/father I feel''.