Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Believe me, you have played this game before.....

Comments

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Ultimately what the OP says is going to hold true for me. To much hand-holding, go here kill that, return to me, get goodie. Then take another and I'll point you exactly where to go and we'll do this like forever. Most MMO's do this, that is why I'm not playing many anymore. Different strokes. Combat is pretty good though.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by Method01

Originally posted by jpnole

First a brief history of my mmo burnouts and the time it took to set in. WoW took me 3 years, Rift 3 months, SWTOR 30 days and now we arrive at TERA. After trudging through the tutorial, getting to the mainland and beating up walking tree men until I hit level 2, I decided I have played this game before.  Save yourself the $50 and wait for TSW or GW2 as they are both likely to offer something new to the genre.  So if you still don't believe me go ahead and download the open beta client and see for yourself. This game had already been in release in the East so how could anyone think it would be the next big thing? It's like WoW, Rift, Lineage 2 and Aion all wrapped up in one and you will be happier watching GW2 videos on YouTube... believe me.

I agree 100% 

I played alot of mmo's both in beta and after release. I never quited an mmo so quickly as i did with Tera. Theres nothing at all, that would make me buy this game. This totally Aion with new graphics.

you never quited school either?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Czanrei

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Kanester

Its nothing like other mmos. in fact its less like other mmos compared to gw2 and tsw.

I seriously want to hear the explanation for this one.

GW2 combat forces the player to lock on to a target to attack for one thing, Tera combat relies on actual hand-eye coordination.

TSW only allows gamers to have 3 quests at a time in their journal, Tera doesn't.

Those two points alone are big differences in combat and questing mechanics.

Those are all well and good, I was more questioning the claim that Tera is "nothing like other mmos".  If it wasn't like other mmos, why would so many mmo fans be interested in playing it?  As for Tera relying on actual hand-eye coordination and GW2 not, I think timing dodges so you don't get destroyed is very much within the definition of hand-eye coordination, especialy since some enemies leave very little time after telegraphing before executing an attack.  Targetting is only part of it.  So, no.

Originally posted by HorrorScope

Ultimately what the OP says is going to hold true for me. To much hand-holding, go here kill that, return to me, get goodie. Then take another and I'll point you exactly where to go and we'll do this like forever. Most MMO's do this, that is why I'm not playing many anymore. Different strokes. Combat is pretty good though.

Well, while many people complained that the MMO genre needed big changes in questing, there are those who were never really bothered by it, so that's the market Tera is aimed at.  I personally like the fact that they changed the beginning levels to offer more of a challenge at the very least.  It's nice when you actually have to use that fancy combat instead of bonking snuggly wuggly pink bunnies on the head for 20 levels.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

No you can't read.  Click that link, what the heck do you call an event that takes 30+ players including tanks and healers to down a boss if not a raid?  No it's not a marketing scam, it's an actual list of content, and it's not even a comprehensive list because it doesn't take into account a lot content they mentioned earlier.  Please go ahead and find me another game that has this many features, polish, and content a launch. Rift? SW:TOR? DCUO?

LOL it's not a raid it's a "public quest". When we talk about raid we talk about INSTANCED raids. The Enmasse marketing site was more honest than you and didn't called that public quest a "raid".

If that's a raid for you then even GW2 is full of "raids"... 

So no it isn't and that's why it's called a marketing scam. You completely fell for it. But it's not Enmasse fault... they did it right: they even advertized "Daily quests for reputation" or "Bug fixes" like it was something new and exciting. 

Btw Tera doesn't have battlegrounds and raids at launch. Even Stwor and Rift had those.

No you can't do math at all. Tera is free for the first month, there's more then enough content in this game to warrant a box price with no sub.  If don't want to pay for the sub don't pay, if someone shells out monthly for the game that's because they like it.  And if you REALLY like the game then you can play for free through chronoscolls, how is that not a good deal?

I did the math. Simple as that  you are just talking nonsense with no real proof

You said GW1 is pricey at 65$... and proved you were wrong. It's 30€ on steam

You said Tera is the most inexpensive AAA mmorpg around... and i proved you were wrong since 198$  > 55$ 

GW2 you say the game adds content for free, and then you say you have to pay for the expansions.  So which is it? If expansions are content, then yes you have to pay for the content, which means that GW2 is NOT F2P.  Well you're complaining that cash shop just has cosmeetic stuff well all GW2's rewards is cosmetic stuff.  What makes the B2P model so great is that it relies heavily on people that can't read and can't do math.

I can read and I can do math, and it makes more sense pay once and get accesss to everything, and then only pay again if I feel like it.

Yes because GW2 (like GW1) added content via patches for free but i guess you didn't know. Then there were the paid  expansions. This is why it's B2P

And by expansions i mean true "EXPANSIONS". New classes, tons of new skills and features, entire new continents....

Not just some fixes for an incomplete game at launch.

Where did i ever complained that there was only cosmetic sfuff in GW2 cash shop? i guess you didn't read carefully. On the contrary that's a good thing.

But what you completely misunderstood is the GW2 cash shop. I's completely irrelevant and you're not forced to buy anything. You talked about "restrictions" when it's just more characters slots after the 5th and maybe more bag slots. You can even change servers and play wherever you want for free. Tera doesn't let you do this even with the cashshop.

Since you can't do math or maybe you missed it the first time i will repost it here 

1 year of gameplay

Tera  1 box (55€) + 1 free month + 11 sub fees (13€each) = 198€

Gw2 1 box (55€) + 12 free months = 55€

How does it make Tera cheaper is a complete mistery.

Even if you take into consideration expansion in the next years the math doesn't change. Let's say for example that Gw2 will have a new expansion every year. It would be great but still it's impossible since Arenanet (or even Blizzard) can't make new continents, new classes, and so much new content in a single year. But let's assume they are superheroes and they manage it.

1 year of gameplay 

Tera 12 months = 156€

GW2 1 expansion = 55€ 

And that's it i guess

GW2 is NOT F2P.

This in the same post where you claim you "can read".  Who ever said GW2 was F2P?  Besides... you know, wrong people?

As for your argument, GW2 will be cheaper than any other AAA MMO, there's no use in denying it.  They're not going to release content every few months for 50 bucks.

Well, while many people complained that the MMO genre needed big changes in questing, there are those who were never really bothered by it, so that's the market Tera is aimed at.  I personally like the fact that they changed the beginning levels to offer more of a challenge at the very least.  It's nice when you actually have to use that fancy combat instead of bonking snuggly wuggly pink bunnies on the head for 20 levels.

Right and then in that case I have already paid for this elsewhere, no need to drop a $50 on it and $15/per.

More of a challenge? The two of us have yet to die, I have a Priest, I have yet to use heal once. 10 levels in, going over to their forums to see if there is a reason to be a Priest or not.

I'm wondering if these mmo's are beoming like 3D Diablo. Everything is becomming leave your brain at the door. Fine for some, yes. But I'm always trying to find advancement.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by afropuff420

Did you get past newbie island? I know you said you made it to the main land, but then you say you killed tree guys until lvl 2. So i'm a bit cofused..

Baah you're right it was the first area out of the tutorial. Either way I stand by what I said.

Fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion. When I was on newbie island I found the game to be kinda cheesy, and somewhat boring. To be honest though, as soon as I made it to the actual mainland - I was pretty impressed with the game world, and how mature it seemed to be. By mature I simply mean that it went from a light hearted 'yay' type feeling, to a more serious 'we're at war' style of game.

At about what level do you get off the island?  I'm 12 atm, and finding it hard to want to log back in, but I'm willing to keep trudging through the lowish levels to get to a bit more "meat" so to speak.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by Jayaris

Every feature in GW2 can be found in every other MMO, they've simply combined them all together.

Well... duh.

You already have the answer to your question

Right and then in that case I have already paid for this elsewhere, no need to drop a $50 on it and $15/per.

More of a challenge? The two of us have yet to die, I have a Priest, I have yet to use heal once. 10 levels in, going over to their forums to see if there is a reason to be a Priest or not.

I'm wondering if these mmo's are beoming like 3D Diablo. Everything is becomming leave your brain at the door. Fine for some, yes. But I'm always trying to find advancement.

Ah, well I guess they're trying to ease people into it, but I don't know if 10 full levels of hand holding is preferable to me, so I agree there that it would be frustrating.  I just thought it was a nice touch to add bosses and things early on, an idea not unlike GW2's starting zone bosses (I don't know what Tera's entail yet), and again, those bosses don't seem likely to kill you either.  I'm just saying, "at least they're there".  It could have been like WoW...... 10 levels of questing with no bosses, and in today's post Cata, having mobs turned "neutral" and removing elites altogether.  Hopefully I'm not 100% wrong, but from what I read about Tera, they did amp things up as far as BAMs go.

I personally don't think I'll be playing Tera for some time, if at all, but you might be right.  It's not thrusting the genre forward, but like I said, some people are happy with what they're getting.  If advancement is what you seek, may you find it in one of the upcoming games.  The important thing to me is that times change and we see less WoW mechanics in 2012 and beyond.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I have to admit I starred at a grey screen for a minute when Vekas killed me for the first time. "what in the...". Granted I was a level or two below him but I noticed that if I didn't get out of the way or was typing and he landed in me it took over 1/3 of my life away heh. I like that "boss" fights, even righ away at least make you try now since a crystal breaks every time.

In debating how TERA compares to other MMOs, which is completely natural, a few things may need to be kept in mind.

First, is there an Asian bias? Let's be honest. There have been some craptacular games (in our opinion) to come out if the east BUT that does nit mean they all are. Being able to judge them separately without a knee-jerk reaction would be nice.

Second, is no game going to be good right now because it's not "your" game coming out. Again, natural reaction but if this changes how you feel about a game it's not really giving an opinion of it just what it isn't compared to "your" game (e.g. Any game that is not GW2 is "standard" and offers "nothing new").

What is being glossed over with TERA is that it's a total package. They have worked really hard to get a lot of features in one title and it is indeed very polished.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Swammy22Swammy22 Member UncommonPosts: 64

One thing I have not seen mentioned in here is that GW2 will have different starting areas for each race. IMO that is HUGE!! Meaning each race you start will be a complete new story with different quests AND a different environment. Whereas in Tera, no matter what class or race you start, you starting in the same damn Noob Island and go through the exact same quest line. This was one thing I did like about WoW. If I did not like the starting area of Gnomes I could find my way to the starting area of the Humans. Choices!!

This does make a difference in that it makes it look as if the devs from GW2 put a bit more time into developing the world and the story rather than make a game as quick as possible to start making some money.  The first major city I came across in Tera looks a far cry from what I have seen from GW2. For the average game player this is important when making decisions on where you are going to place your hard earned money. I want to play a game where someone put their heart and soul into the game and give me options as to where am I going to start playing and what story do I want to follow....

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    It might not have bern mentioned because this is not the GW2 forums lol. There are indeed cities for each race in TERA. They chose to not to waste space segmenting land for separate starting area that are shed a day into the game.

Unless you have travelled through the areas of TERA, you really have no basis for your claims at the devs intent.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Odinthedark1

Lol dude dont talk until you hit 20 it gets really fun especially if you're grouping with friends, i hit level 12 in 3 hours flat when i got into obt with a good friend of mine healing while i mass pulled and aoe'ed big groups. its true that the quests are generic and linear but thats just how mmorpg's are and i actually enjoy em like that so long as they dont go overboard. i dont see it changing anytime soon, till we have flying cars and virtual reality. i advise you to replay the obt to at least 20 cause that is when you HAVE to group. BAMs and dungeons are always fun. thats my opinion and i cant say you are wrong cause you are entitled to your opinion but jesus at least hit 10 before posting a thread about how its generic, linear, a grind fest, WoW clone or etc. it happens for every single game and it never ceases to amaze me that people quit 2-4 levels in and say it sucks. let alone only trying a single class they might not like and not giving another a chance.

He can talk all he wants.  I did the same thing.  I can't stand hand holding quest grinders any more.  I played up until level 7-8 and uninstalled it.  It's quite literally exactly what I've been playing since I left DAoC, it just looks a little different and the graphics have gotten better.  How long can you chase that carrot in front of you?  Personally, I'm not a dog and it's not fun any more.

All they did was allow you to dodge and aim, which has been in MMO's before.. assuming you've actually been playing MMO's longer than a couple years.  You don't even have to go far to get some of those mechanics, AOC anyone?

When you've been playing MMO's for 15 years, you are generally able to spot crap before most other people.  It is what it is.  If you like it, great!  Don't tell other people what to like.

Ah, well I guess they're trying to ease people into it, but I don't know if 10 full levels of hand holding is preferable to me, so I agree there that it would be frustrating.  I just thought it was a nice touch to add bosses and things early on, an idea not unlike GW2's starting zone bosses (I don't know what Tera's entail yet), and again, those bosses don't seem likely to kill you either.  I'm just saying, "at least they're there".  It could have been like WoW...... 10 levels of questing with no bosses, and in today's post Cata, having mobs turned "neutral" and removing elites altogether.  Hopefully I'm not 100% wrong, but from what I read about Tera, they did amp things up as far as BAMs go.

I personally don't think I'll be playing Tera for some time, if at all, but you might be right.  It's not thrusting the genre forward, but like I said, some people are happy with what they're getting.  If advancement is what you seek, may you find it in one of the upcoming games.  The important thing to me is that times change and we see less WoW mechanics in 2012 and beyond.

That's true, I was speaking on my behalf, joining in on the convo. Not trying to overstate what WE ALL HAVE TO DO! or anything like that. So that cool.

I would also say I was impressed with performance in the Prolouge, there had to be several hundred people in there at once (testing spells even) and sure I was getting15-20 fps, but they have it programmed where you don't feel it in the controls. While that other game where the first game of theirs I loved, in their last beta, with a lot less players in the immediate area, it was a slideshow and it did effect my control, it was a mess when even 25-30 players were all battleing together. That is why I think it still has a ways to go, or it won't be for me. That is A1 to what I'm paying attention to there.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Considering all the JSON Parse Errors folks are getting for trying to log in, there's a lot of folks who can't even try out this (soon to be failure) game. I was contemplating pre-ordering, but since I can't even log in to try the open beta, forget it.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by DAS1337 I can't stand hand holding quest grinders any more.  I played up until level 7-8 and uninstalled it.  It's quite literally exactly what I've been playing since I left DAoC, it just looks a little different and the graphics have gotten better.  How long can you chase that carrot in front of you?  Personally, I'm not a dog and it's not fun any more.

That simply put is the angle I come from on any mmo, I don't care name or who, that doesn't even register. I am no fanboy, nor feel I'm a hater. I have more respect for myself, then doing drivel. I want something new, but it has to really start advancing. DDO2 needs to happen, with open worlds added and some updating.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Did you get past newbie island? I know you said you made it to the main land, but then you say you killed tree guys until lvl 2. So i'm a bit cofused..

Baah you're right it was the first area out of the tutorial. Either way I stand by what I said.

Fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion. When I was on newbie island I found the game to be kinda cheesy, and somewhat boring. To be honest though, as soon as I made it to the actual mainland - I was pretty impressed with the game world, and how mature it seemed to be. By mature I simply mean that it went from a light hearted 'yay' type feeling, to a more serious 'we're at war' style of game.

At about what level do you get off the island?  I'm 12 atm, and finding it hard to want to log back in, but I'm willing to keep trudging through the lowish levels to get to a bit more "meat" so to speak.

Nothing really changes to be honest.  I hit 22 and I was still running from quest hub to quest hub killing x of x mobs.  The game lost me today because it feels so similar for so long.  I need variation in questing, locales, and other game mechanics.  This one seems to give you everything practically by level 11.  I have no incentive for reaching max level.  

• yowaveyowave Member Posts: 8

Well friends, for me Tera is "The Game", the combat aspect of the game, the fluid character controls and the vivid animation hooked me so badly to this game. Now drop some friends along the way and voila you are starting to cook something that called FUN.

And honestly i havn't had that much fun in an MMORPG game since L2.

Sure Tera has it's flaws, like anything else in life, but i am not gonna drop it just because of those flaws, i am gonna stand my ground and try to make it better.

For the ones that will populate this awesome world, hope you won't be on the wrong edge of my weapon ;)

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

So the question of the day and the week and month is why the hell are you people on Tera forum instead of GW2 forum? Omfg we get it you don't like it game, great, why don't you go post on a game you do like instead of trying to turn every Tera fan away from the game? Everyone has what they like, let them try it for themselve see if they like or not. If you don't like it great, hope you find something you do no reason to even stay here.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by yowave

Well friends, for me Tera is "The Game", the combat aspect of the game, the fluid character controls and the vivid animation hooked me so badly to this game. Now drop some friends along the way and voila you are starting to cook something that called FUN.

Sure Tera has it's flaws, like anything else in life, but i am not gonna drop it just because of those flaws, i am gonna stand my ground and try to make it better.

For the ones that will populate this awesome world, hope you won't be on the wrong edge of my weapon ;)

If my gf had the option to create a female character with actual clothes / armor on... we might have given it a try.

But hence, this just another Asian game with oversexualised female characters and a teenage girl race for the pedofiles.

Thanks but no thanks. Was an instant turn-off for us.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by JeroKane

If my gf had the option to create a female character with actual clothes / armor on... we might have given it a try.

But hence, this just another Asian game with oversexualised female characters and a teenage girl race for the pedofiles.

What dictates what are "actual clothes/armor" in a fantasy game?

L2P TERA combat:

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Himemiya

Originally posted by JeroKane

What dictates what are "actual clothes/armor" in a fantasy game?

When you look at EverQuest 2, LOTRO, DDO, WoW, etc... Western developed games.

Then look at Aion, TERA and other Asian titles. (FF being the sole exception).

I think you darn well know where I'm getting at.  Not to mention as to why there have to be a race included that obviously appeals to sicko's and pedofiles.

There is actually a ton of negative press going on about TERA regarding exactly this.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I played 30 minutes of the beta and the controls for the game irritate me bigtime, swapping between modes. I don't like controllers but prefer keyboard so would take a while to get used to. I do love the graphics in the game though but as I found things irrating from first go is not a good start I will hold off on purchasing.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Himemiya

Originally posted by Haxdelesriot

TERA has awesome graphics for an mmo and the engine was optimized very well. The quests remind me of vanilla WoW kill-quests, which is a terrible idea imo, considering this accounts for probably 90% of the quests. I really liked the large variety of classes and races you could choose from but that was about it.

My main probelm with TERA is actually the combat, not that the idea of it is bad, just the execution. When it was so heavily branded as a "True action mmo" I got the impression that it would be some fun, fast paced twitched based combat. From what I saw and played, that is not the case. Combat is mind-numbingly slow and boring. Attacks, abilities and combos take almost no skill or thought to execute and all you have to do to dodge an enemies attack is take one step to the left or right. You don't even need to use your dodge skill because all enemy NPCs seem to have the A.I. capabilities of a Roomba. Seriously, the mobs will take years charging up their "big boy damage" abilities and are completely thwarted by you hobbling slightly to the left, as if to wonder if the mob suddenly thought "*gasp* he moved slightly to the left, my only weakness! I didn't think he'd do that!". The combos work in a similar fashion as they do in Aion, where a certain ability you have, upon activation, will cause another ability to light up, signaling you to press the same button once again. Do to this system, combos are extremely linear and don't really allow you to create your own combos.

With a combat system that lets you aim but feels like you are swinging through molasses, semi-retarded A.I. and that unshakable feeling similar to when you see someone playing with a rubik's cube but they don't know what they are doing and you just want to snatch it out of their hands and show them how to do it, this game is not for me.

Casual vidya game players would probably enjoy this game, but if you are a hardcore mmo player or just gamer in general, enjoy games that require skill and difficulty, enjoy games like Vindictus, Hack n' Slash games, or any twitched based game, you will probably hate how slow and care-bearish this game is. I made it to level 20 before I finally threw in the boredom towel. I'm very sure the game gets much harder later, but I don't want to pay for a box+sub just so I can slog through 100+ hours of gameplay before I find anything remolety difficult about this game.

6/10 would not buy imo.

"When it was so heavily branded as a "True action mmo" I got the impression that it would be some fun, fast paced twitched based combat."

Yes, because the difficulty stays the same. 

"You don't even need to use your dodge skill because all enemy NPCs seem to have the A.I. capabilities of a Roomba."

Then stop fighting level noob island mobs and get off the island onto the main continent.

"The combos work in a similar fashion as they do in Aion, where a certain ability you have, upon activation, will cause another ability to light up, signaling you to press the same button once again. Do to this system, combos are extremely linear and don't really allow you to create your own combos."

Except...players can create their own combos. Did you even play the game?

"but if you are a hardcore mmo player or just gamer in general, enjoy games that require skill and difficulty, enjoy games like Vindictus, Hack n' Slash games, or any twitched based game, you will probably hate how slow and care-bearish this game is.  I'm very sure the game gets much harder later"

You contradict yourself right there. I don't know of any online game that starts with difficulty set to max and everything available to you from the start.

Oh and from what I remember during my time with Vindictus it also was easy as pie at the start. I didn't like the limited selection of classes/archetypes (three at the time) and the lobby based gameplay.

WOW that video you showed, man that is some crappy AI.