Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New "Vault" Shuttle Event Starts April 19th

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

A new Romulan/Reman-focused mission set at the Vault should be starting tomorrow.  It sounds like it's a timed event as well, and will have some datacores as rewards that will be used to get some interesting gear.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3090

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Rohn
    A new Romulan/Reman-focused mission set at the Vault should be starting tomorrow.  It sounds like it's a timed event as well, and will have some datacores as rewards that will be used to get some interesting gear.
    http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3090

I always appreciate new content being added. However, after looking through the forum thread associated with the dev blog you posted, and out of all the responses, this is the guy I agree with the most.

Link

Why do they release time gated content? I think they would do well to make it available at all times. Just my opinion though.

Since the mission is time gated, here is a thread on the STO boards discussing time gated content.

Here

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

" Another "Currency": Fail.

Whether these are actually intended to be another currency or if they are supposed to be more like a commodity or crafting material, the fact is these Datalogs (nee Datacores) sound like yet another item we have to store in our Inventory/Banks. We were supposed to have less Currency in this game after the Dilithium Unification, but we keep getting more and more. And storage space in this game is too limited to be introducing another cell-filling "currency".

This is what stands out to me most , the overt or perhaps some would consider subtle, attempt to force players to "purchase" bank space. Typical of Cryptic.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

Shortly before STO went F2P silver accounts (which later became the F2P access tier), had it's storage space significantly reduced.  That was a sure indicator that Cryptic was going to make storage a major commodity.  When my current main character started out it didn't have a lot of problems with storage.  Sure it filled up quickly but most of it was spare parts or items for resale.  As the character hit cap and the doff system went live, I had no room for spare parts or sale items - most every slot is used by some material needed for the doff quests.  Seriously, Cryptic needs to consolidate all these things they expect players to run around collecting.  In LotRO, the abundance of currancies & tokens resulted in consolidation into a wallet.  In DDO, extra bags for holding specific types of items such as gems were created to alieviate some of the clutter.  Now it's Cryptic's turn to help the players out and provide better storage management options.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

IIRC when the game first went live, you automatically got more bank space and/or inventory space when you gained rank.  Apparently, this is no longer the case.  I have a Capt character from launch that has a TON more bank and inventory space than the LTC  just started leveling to check this game out again.  The in-your-face cash shop in this game makes LotRO's look subtle.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

STOked has a nice editorial about this [http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18913/gozer-king-of-pvp-stoked-120/]. 

Essentially, time gated content is the game playing you, not you playing the game.  In a content starved game like STO, time gated content should be the last thing Cryptic should add.