Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would 'Wow' run on a 56kps modem?

DrashanDrashan Member Posts: 153
Would 'Wow' run on a 56kps modem? And, if it would, would it be mega laggy? Thanks.

Comments

• Acees88Acees88 Member Posts: 132

Hey dude.

Okey so you are going to play WoW on a 56kb modem.image 

You can play WoW on a modem but, i depends on where the server you are playing on lies in the world and if you do more than just play on youre modem, and it also depends on youre computer most. If youre computer can handle the game well, well theres no ide for you to play the game on a modem. If you youre computer have what it takes, you can probley play the game on the modem without any "BIG" laggy problems..image

Much of the WoW player do play on a modem.image

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

I can't say from personal experience. But I've heard it runs pretty smoothe on 56k in the forums. Patches would take a long time.

Yeah.

The patching will take longer time but, you can download the patch ceperetly from sites like www.fileplanet.com If you do so on a computer with a faster connection you shouldn´t have any problems.

Good Luckimage

/High_tower

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

I guess... but avoid any of the following:

- Don't become a healer.  When there's gonna be too many mobs on screen, and your teammates need healing, but you're lagging, they will hate you for letting the group die.

- If you chose a tanking class, never offer to be the main tank of the group, if you start lagging and your tank character is just standing there doing nothing, you die, and the mob starts running after your group members and kills them, they will hate you.

- Never enter the city known as Ironforge, I'm on cable and even that city lags for me! I could never imagine how much worst it could be for a dial-up player!  Join the horde, I noticed the main horde city known as Orgrimmar lags much less than the alliance's main city (Ironforge)

So in the end, yeah you could play.  A hunter might be a good choice since it's easy to solo.  Or make a Paladin or Warrior, but like I said, don't be the main tank.

But all in all, what I love best about WoW is that it's the first MMORPG that I see the less lag.  People complain it lags, but geez... they've never played MMORPGs before.  Most real MMORPGers have already equipped themselves with 1 gig of RAM, so at least you can avoid your PC from lagging the game.  If you can at least avoid your PC from lagging the game, then you can just worry about the Blizzard server lag.  Not both your PC lag and server lag, cause that's just the worst.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

The lagg in the city has nothing to do with youre connection. or, the moste part of game comes from the computer. The differenc between lagg and computer lagg is that if it is youre connection, youre caracter will stop in a few secs and all beeing normal again. But if its youre computer, youre caracter laggs constantly all the way throug the city.

Thats it.

//High_tower

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by High_tower
    The lagg in the city has nothing to do with youre connection. or, the moste part of game comes from the computer. The differenc between lagg and computer lagg is that if it is youre connection, youre caracter will stop in a few secs and all beeing normal again. But if its youre computer, youre caracter laggs constantly all the way throug the city.
    Thats it.
    //High_tower

You are partialy correct. When porting into IF your first lag is FPS related lag because computer is trying to render all those characters and graphics around you. However, all those characters moving around you are dynamic, that means server will send you data about their locations and action, thus resulting in a huge connection related lag. So yes, in my opinion, you might wanna avoid IF with 56K modem. Best way to find out is to try it. once you do try it, please let us know how it worked out.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

• drewddrewd Member Posts: 238

it would 'run' but it would 'suck'