Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Had the same feeling in Tera as Vanilla WOW

For me anyway thats a good thing. Plenty of lively chat going on reinforcing a sense of community. Similar to barrens chat lol. Stunning graphics and a feeling of a huge beautiful  world to explore. The world just felt alive rather than the static depressing dullness of SWTOR.

I didn't really feel the need to power level in the beta as i feel this will ruin my experience for my pre-ordered early start. Just wanted to mess around with different classes, key bindings etc.

Also World PVP floats my boat aswell. I just loved ganking/being ganked whilst questing in WOW. It just made exploration that bit more dangerous and unnerving.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Comments

• tropez1971tropez1971 Member Posts: 17

So you actually played it already?

I'm in the same boat as you. I hope I get the same feeling I got when WoW Vanilla came out. I have the same level of fondness you had. The guy over at www.ihatemmorpgs.com had a good write up about this. WoW Vanilla was awesome, all downhill from there. I remember being one of the first people on my server to hoof it down to Tanaris, just to see what was there, getting owned by higher level mobs along the way. It was awesome! Then the first time I took the boat to Booty Bay, then went looking around the forest wondering where the mobs were, then bam, I got jumped by a stealth panther. Those were fond memories. I really like the "explore this world" aspect of MMO's. I'm what the Ihatemmorpgs.com guy would call "The Veteran" stereotype. I want a challenge.

WoW Vanilla, Spinebreaker, the good old days.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Was too busy playing maplestory to play WoW when it came out =P ( also had no money but thats not the point XD)

Wish there is a vanilla wow server for me to play on to compare to lol.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

I never played V-WoW but I am looking forward to an experience more like EQ was for me.  Get a group of people together and bang on some mobs for a couple hours.  Then go explore some new terrain and do it some more.  In the years of linear quest pathing since EQ I found I really missed that "camp and kill" aspect.  In TERA I don't think you "camp" as much but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of BAMs and group areas.  Constant and challenging group content is where it's at IMO, know your role and have some fun.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by tropez1971

I'm in the same boat as you. I hope I get the same feeling I got when WoW Vanilla came out. I have the same level of fondness you had. The guy over at www.ihatemmorpgs.com had a good write up about this. WoW Vanilla was awesome, all downhill from there. I remember being one of the first people on my server to hoof it down to Tanaris, just to see what was there, getting owned by higher level mobs along the way. It was awesome! Then the first time I took the boat to Booty Bay, then went looking around the forest wondering where the mobs were, then bam, I got jumped by a stealth panther. Those were fond memories. I really like the "explore this world" aspect of MMO's. I'm what the Ihatemmorpgs.com guy would call "The Veteran" stereotype. I want a challenge.

We prefer the term "Bitter Vet™" instead.  image

I'm going to be playing Tera, no doubt not the greatest MMORPG ever made, but has a certain old school charm to it that I can't put my finger on.  In my case probably more from fond memories in L1/L2 but I'll go along with the Vanilla WOW reference snce that's when I enjoyed that title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I never played V-WoW but I am looking forward to an experience more like EQ was for me.  Get a group of people together and bang on some mobs for a couple hours.  Then go explore some new terrain and do it some more.  In the years of linear quest pathing since EQ I found I really missed that "camp and kill" aspect.  In TERA I don't think you "camp" as much but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of BAMs and group areas.  Constant and challenging group content is where it's at IMO, know your role and have some fun.

You can always camp rarespawn BAMs, if you like camping, they are rather disputed.

I'll play on PVE server so it isn't a big problem for me, but I wonder how this will end up on a PVP server...

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Kehdar

You can always camp rarespawn BAMs, if you like camping, they are rather disputed.

I'll play on PVE server so it isn't a big problem for me, but I wonder how this will end up on a PVP server...

On PvP its not just rarespawm BAM its every BAM party coudl turn in to a massive pvp battle lol. Remeber in BT3 was going to grind BAM to stock up on repeat for CBT4, 5mins in and it was like a 3 way battle and soon everyone called their guild in as wel lol.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I really hope people will enjoy THE MOMENT in Tera, just like I believe people enjoyed the moment in Vanilla WoW.

The right now moment you know.

WoW today is just about the next thing, working for the future, the carrot on a stick philosofy. It kills the community.

I hope people will hang out in camps or cities, have a talk, help each other in need, go on stupid and meaninless, and at the same time in meaningful adventures.

You know, take part of the world but take part in the NOW moment. Enjoy the time spend, not only the achievements.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

My god, what is with people and vanilla wow, i first started playing wow almost 8 years ago now, (7 and abit) And people who say how "awesome" vanilla wow is, obviously didnt get to end game... Pvp consists of Bgs, and slight world pvp. Raiding/ Pve consists of 40 man raids, which you couldnt do unless you were in a solid guild (as was i). They were not only a pain to organise but mid "pre-bc", saying vanilla is just stupid, they got boring... naxxramas eventually being the last, i do admit the majoriry did not finish it however the content was fairly boring and to be able to raid you generally had to dedicate yourself. To be perfectly honest Burning crusade was the best expansion to date. Fantastic raids, introduction of arena, flying mounts etc... first neutrul city first 10 man raid, and 25 man raids, No 40 mans. Ontop of that all the content was interesting. So if people say that so called "vanilla" wow was perfect they are far from wrong, never played it, or the memory has been distorted.

And yes tera does appear to be awesome so far, logging straight on at 5am (my time) 12pm Pst, to play the open beta. Closed beta was good but seeing as there is no character wipe for us after this open beta, it is virtually game start/ trial. But yeah tera will be good, good combat and also the environment/ cities has a more "fantasy" sort of look and feel to it. so cant wait.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Don't laugh now, but Final Fantasy XIV is pretty much exactly that.

Little more than that, actually ...

Originally posted by Stimos8

My god, what is with people and vanilla wow, i first started playing wow almost 8 years ago now, (7 and abit) And people who say how "awesome" vanilla wow is, obviously didnt get to end game... Pvp consists of Bgs, and slight world pvp. Raiding/ Pve consists of 40 man raids, which you couldnt do unless you were in a solid guild (as was i). They were not only a pain to organise but mid "pre-bc", saying vanilla is just stupid, they got boring... naxxramas eventually being the last, i do admit the majoriry did not finish it however the content was fairly boring and to be able to raid you generally had to dedicate yourself. To be perfectly honest Burning crusade was the best expansion to date. Fantastic raids, introduction of arena, flying mounts etc... first neutrul city first 10 man raid, and 25 man raids, No 40 mans. Ontop of that all the content was interesting. So if people say that so called "vanilla" wow was perfect they are far from wrong, never played it, or the memory has been distorted.

Clearly not everyone enjoyed the same aspects of WoW.

And no, in the true Vanila there weren't even any BG's yet. People did pvp wherever they can. From Tarren Mill vs South Shore to Hunter's camp in Stranglethorn.

It may sound crazy, but people had a lot of fun on their own. I remember the first town raid I saw was done in the lvl 20-40 range. Maybe a few higher levels were present as well.

Then the game started to become a raiding game, all about end content and gear you could get if you put all your time in it. And people like you started to adore it. Obviously, you beat everyone because you outnumbered everyone.

Just in case you didn't understand, this thread isn't about the game you like, it's about the game the OP liked (and I)

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147

Stimos8 I think you missed my point entirely. All i'm saying is Tera gave me that feeling that WOW gave me years back. Nothing to do with endgame raids etc. Just the general vibe.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• tropez1971tropez1971 Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

Stimos8 I think you missed my point entirely. All i'm saying is Tera gave me that feeling that WOW gave me years back. Nothing to do with endgame raids etc. Just the general vibe.

Same here.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

And yes tera does appear to be awesome so far, logging straight on at 5am (my time) 12pm Pst, to play the open beta. Closed beta was good but seeing as there is no character wipe for us after this open beta, it is virtually game start/ trial. But yeah tera will be good, good combat and also the environment/ cities has a more "fantasy" sort of look and feel to it. so cant wait.

Vanilla WoW was the best because you got out of it what you put in to it.  Being level 50 and running Scholomance or Upper BRS was such a rush.  If you need hand holding and structure then you have no imagination. 

I love vanilla WoW.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

I loved vanilla wow and BC and WOTLK and Cata and I'm sure I will MoP.

Maybe I have a video game version of battered wife syndrome.

Either way, in the early days of wow when all i knew how to do correctly was mine nodes (Stonetalon Mountains in the charred area was my secret place) brings back great feelings of awe. If any game can bring those feelings back..regardless of title, will be worth checking out. 

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Vanilla WoW was the best because you got out of it what you put in to it.  Being level 50 and running Scholomance or Upper BRS was such a rush.  If you need hand holding and structure then you have no imagination. 

I love vanilla WoW.

Lol see what i mean, saying you loved it without even knowing what it actually was? and this proves it... level 50... scholomance was like a level 40 dungeon and Upper Brs was supposed to be 55+. So running scholo at 50? oh and yeah did you get to the max level of 60? like common.... atleast play the whole game before you comment on it.

I love vanilla WoW.

Lol see what i mean, saying you loved it without even knowing what it actually was? and this proves it... level 50... scholomance was like a level 40 dungeon and Upper Brs was supposed to be 55+. So running scholo at 50? oh and yeah did you get to the max level of 60? like common.... atleast play the whole game before you comment on it.

Instead of reading just a few lines, try reading the WHOLE wiki page before posting dumb stuff about a state of game you clearly didn't play.

You would have read that the dungeon has been downgraded recently.

Originally posted by jazz.be

I love vanilla WoW.

Instead of reading just a few lines, try reading the WHOLE wiki page before posting dumb stuff about a state of game you clearly didn't play.

Wow how amazingly stupid you are, the only time i ever did those 2 dungeons was in pre-bc, but i guess i can see that happening the dungeon finder introduced and that... oh and btw i can get atleast 3-4 others to vouch for me on these forums, as i did play back then.  And i was also in one of the best raiding guilds on Frostmourne Us, started of on kael'thas then once the oceanic servers were released a few months through, moved over to Frostmourne. So its pretty certain that you, jazz.be, my friend, never did play Pre-bc, because you have no idea what your talking about, so you shouldnt even be in this thread. Later jazz go and troll on another topic or thread, but dont comment on stuff you have no idea about.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

I love vanilla WoW.

Truer words were never said.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I love vanilla WoW.

Wow how amazingly stupid you are, the only time i ever did those 2 dungeons was in pre-bc, but i guess i can see that happening the dungeon finder introduced and that... oh and btw i can get atleast 3-4 others to vouch for me on these forums, as i did play back then.  And i was also in one of the best raiding guilds on Frostmourne Us, started of on kael'thas then once the oceanic servers were released a few months through, moved over to Frostmourne. So its pretty certain that you, jazz.be, my friend, never did play Pre-bc, because you have no idea what your talking about, so you shouldnt even be in this thread. Later jazz go and troll on another topic or thread, but dont comment on stuff you have no idea about.

We dont need your credentials. just you to accept some people did like vanilla wow.

Edit; going from your profile you would of been 13 years old around the time period.
    Im sure the op and the quoted(both older gamers) would of had a different perspective on things. Regardless, they didn't need to "play the whole thing' to have an opinion on it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

I love vanilla WoW.

Now that Mellkor mention it, you were indeed very young, and still are :-)

Therefor I forgive your ignorance, even though you're an adult.

Just a detail so you wouldn't make yourself ridicilous in the future. Scholo was not at the level you say it was back in Vanilla, neither in BC or Wrath.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by tropez1971

We prefer the term "Bitter Vet™" instead.  image

I'm going to be playing Tera, no doubt not the greatest MMORPG ever made, but has a certain old school charm to it that I can't put my finger on.  In my case probably more from fond memories in L1/L2 but I'll go along with the Vanilla WOW reference snce that's when I enjoyed that title.

Instead of bitter, how about realist?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

For me anyway thats a good thing. Plenty of lively chat going on reinforcing a sense of community. Similar to barrens chat lol. Stunning graphics and a feeling of a huge beautiful  world to explore. The world just felt alive rather than the static depressing dullness of SWTOR.

I didn't really feel the need to power level in the beta as i feel this will ruin my experience for my pre-ordered early start. Just wanted to mess around with different classes, key bindings etc.

Also World PVP floats my boat aswell. I just loved ganking/being ganked whilst questing in WOW. It just made exploration that bit more dangerous and unnerving.

I found the chat to be gross, sophmoric and really silly, I think it will change once people have to pay for the game and sub, the game itself is refreshing and different enough to last

• LashersLashers Member Posts: 186
    Question.  I know what WoW is, and used to play for some time, but what is Vanilla Wow?
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Vanilla WoW was a paradise for a casual player like myself. There was lots of content to play before you reached the point where forced raiding begun, and when you hit the inevitable you could reroll a new class.

In TERA, however:

- levels come fast, which makes anything but max level play pretty much pointless.

- we have this fancy feature called dungeon finder PLUS some akward bonus if/when we'll use it. As if the dungeons weren't way too easy before this nonsense.

- animation locks. The reason that made me quit Aion. In action RPG this hurts you even more than what it did in tab targeting game.

If you like TERA, that's fine and I'm happy you found a great game, but these are the reasons I'll pass this game.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Vanilla wow was not that great.
    Pvp sucked. Spend hours grinding kills to get to rank 11. Thats as far as i got. Class imbalance. Etc etc. Funny how people around their 20s reminisce on how everything was better before. I bet most didnt Even Play vanilla wow