Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miss It?

Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

Anyone besides miss playing this game? I play WoW, and sure its alot of fun, but I cant stand not being able to play my bard! It'd be great if Blizzard came out with a new class, involving a bard-like class...buut I'm sure they have other things on their minds, like Battlegrounds. If i were to go back though...I dont think I'd last very long because of the lack of community now::;^|::. anyone miss it?

Comments

• DontmoveDontmove Member Posts: 91

I miss it. But for me It is the number of active people on EQ due to WoW and EQII. I dont play any new games have tryed the stress for MxO. Due to the low numbers on EQ I find myself not loging on as much as I usto. Tired of having to 2box to do anything since you cant get groups. Most of my friends that didnt go to WoW have now went to it due to lack of numbers on EQ.

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Went back to EQLive. Found I still love the game world, which I cannot say for the other MMORPG's I have played. My play style now is not to have goals, but to have fun. The old Norrath is still a great game world.

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

how is the community billius?

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Iceman12321
    how is the community billius?

Pretty nice. EQ has always had a pretty strong community. As far as numbers go, the low levels are about 8 to 10 of any level online at any time (on Morden Rasp server). Lots of high levels, lots of level 1's. So for grouping, you pretty much need to go to where the people are.

I'm playing a ranger so I can solo a bit, as needed. I may or may not catch up to the high level crowd by the time newer MMORPG's are out (i.e., Vanguard, etc).

But overall, EQ is still a decent game with a very good community, in my opinion.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I miss it to be honest. Maybe its because Everquest was my first MMORPG (started after Kunark came out) but no other MMORPG has given me the same feeling that I get when I play EQ. SWG actually came close but I haven't been back, not because it was bad just never had the chance really.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Effect
    I miss it to be honest. Maybe its because Everquest was my first MMORPG (started after Kunark came out) but no other MMORPG has given me the same feeling that I get when I play EQ. SWG actually came close but I haven't been back, not because it was bad just never had the chance really.

Agreed, although not the SWG part. That said, I quit 9 months after SoL for all the reasons that others have mentioned. I refused to buy SoL because it offered absolutely nothing that I wanted - great! A shed load of mid-level content, in a game that had tonnes of content already. The worst thing was all the Centi crap that was being farmed was far superior to comparable Kunark/Velious items. In short, I felt that the whole game was becoming, "RECRUIT AND LEVEL!".

I did wish to level but in zones - such as Unrest and Mistamoore - that actually provided some challenge, where one would actually have to learn zones, mob pathing, etc. An element of risk vs reward. Instead, the LOIO/DL route was too readily championed. The introduction of low level rezzees was laughable! All SoE were doing were accelerating the newbie stages way past the teen levels. Whilst some loved the bizarre, the desolation of East Commonlands left me profoundly sad. Far too many mid level dungeons were left untouched from Unrest (still semi-popular), Mistamoore (deserted), Najena (deserted), Sol A (deserted), CT (deserted, until the changes). A lot of the mid level players were Planar capable but everyone just below Planar was playing their trade via the old LOIO/DL route.

I quit in September 2002 and never looked back. Never once did I think about re-activating my account. Despite the wonderful community, I would never go back. The game that I once enjoyed and loved had died - and so did my enthusiasm.

Would I go back on a completely fresh server? No, that's just nostalgia talking. I prefer to look to the future, even if I don't really have to wear shades just yet.

Thanks for the memory, EQ. But every relationship must come to an end. EQ did poison new relationships such as EVE Online, that I could have really got into if it wasn't for EQ sulking in the background, arms crossed.

Looking forward to either DnL and/or Vanguard.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

I dont think I would have enough motivation in coming back, myself either. Playing WoW was great, but wasnt nearly as good as my first MMORPG, Everquest. WoW is starting to be less and less interesting for me. It just seems too easy for my taste. Like Riot, I cant wait till Vanguard...and I wish DnL would work on my computer::;^`::

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

I miss EQ, tried going back many times but just cant play it anymore.

I have a Hunter in WoW so am very happy but still miss my Ikky Beastlord and Field of Bones and Lake of Ill Omen and probably every zone in Kunark.

I hope Vanguard recaptures the old EQ magic for me like WoW has (on my list for next game to invest in).

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    fear not old EQ friends.  WoW may have the market now, but the magic of MMO's has not ended.  If anything, WoW has made the market more competitive and companys will strive to outdo them in content and gameplay. The best is yet to come image
  • Saren42Saren42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

i too am sad, i too may be retireing form EQ, i will keep my accoutn up, but i might not play much more, i miss the old world EQ, and the community, it has changed so much, it is just PLers, and such, and ub3r 1334 r41d3rs, and it well, sux really, but i do miss it, SOE should let it go with dignaty, not with all the server mergers, let the damn game die with dignaty.....but if the mergers will save the game, it may help, but inless they can bring back the old feeling of adventure and immersion, it won't happen

• DerwoodDerwood Member Posts: 25

Well back in my day.... We did not have any fancy pants expantion packs, and we had to fight the old fashoin way, with rusty swords!

I do miss that EQ.

I don't like mobs with 2 million hit points. I don't like having 20 million different items in the game. And I definately don't want to be a hampster on a wonder wheel again.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    I signed back up after an 8 month lapse. What a change. Not many people around. The new expansion is just another 60+. Thats like 4 straight for the 60+ game. I've always loved EQ for the xp groups, not the raid content. Unfortunately, it seems the likeminded have gone on, and all that is left are the hardcore raiders. I've tried EQ2 and WoW, both pale in comparison to the orginal everquest. Oh well, all great things must come to an end. image
  • dhettingerdhettinger Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by goladith
    i too am sad, i too may be retireing form EQ, i will keep my accoutn up, but i might not play much more, i miss the old world EQ, and the community, it has changed so much, it is just PLers, and such, and ub3r 1334 r41d3rs, and it well, sux really, but i do miss it, SOE should let it go with dignaty, not with all the server mergers, let the damn game die with dignaty.....but if the mergers will save the game, it may help, but inless they can bring back the old feeling of adventure and immersion, it won't happen

Server mergers? OMG, I have not played this game in about a year and a half. Is it really so bad in there that SoE is killing servers by combining the population? I am rather disheartend to here this sad news. Should I even consider starting my account up again after being clean for so long or am I just better of keeping the memorys of all the good times gone bye with me in my head?

• AelrazAelraz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I really miss EQ though I know it wont be the same should I ever reactivate my old accout. I started playing EQ back in 98, before Kunark. Things were really different then. The boat rides, the auctions in greater faydark and EC, the crappy equipment etc. I quit for a while after Luclin and came back about 1.5 years later. It almost felt like a different game with  Luclin and PoP. Though I kept playing until...what was that expansion called, the one after GoD? it never got as good as my first years of playing. Im more of a grouper, not really interested in big raids that takes a whole night.

To sum it up, EQ was a great game but going back now wont bring that magic back. I have to curse EQ cause I compared all other MMO:s I tried to EQ and they always lost. Currently unemployed in the MMO world Im seriously thinking about getting a couple of upgrades for my computer and jump on the EQ2 train. I think thats as close to the old feeling I can get...

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I have to admit I miss it.  But the EQ I miss is long dead.  I couldn't go back to it if I wanted to because it doesn't exist anymore.  Even if they had an EQ classic server with just the old world it wouldn't be the same.  It was my first game and that newbie wonder is what made it so great.

But in the end the thing that really killed it for me was the way the game focused more and more on big raids as time went on.  I don't know how many of you played the game pre-kunark but it wasn't always so centered around raiding.  But that's just me I guess.  I hated raiding and hated even more that I couldn't really accomplish anything at high levels unless I was willing to raid.  To each their own, it just wasn't for me.

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Like a lot of you guys, I miss the EQ that ceased to exist around a couple years ago.  The later game was fun, but it was the ride getting there that was outstanding.  And what the community used to be was incomparable to anything that's ever been out there (well, I guess some say UO was that good).

But enough is enough.  The only way I would consider playing it again is if they made a new server with no character transfers.  Remove all the dumbing down and go back to the old game and everyone starts at level one, just like the old days.  Turn all the expansions off, and maybe turn them on one at a time, say one every 4-6 months or so.  That might actually be some fun.

Yup, ye old rusty sword ... rofl.  And patchwork armor.  I made, well, er, a pittance selling that ... but enough to acquire my spells - took a while though.

• SaragothSaragoth Member Posts: 84

I don't miss EQ so much as I miss what EQ used to be.. I started playing June 1999 a few months after the game was released. I had so much fun, everything was new.

For some reason one of my most fondest memories was being a level 3 Half Elf Warrior, with no useable light source who accidentally zoned into EC at night. I tried to explore barely able to see anything but the path infront of me. To my left I saw the silouette of humanoid creature. It was an orc pawn.. All I could make out was the shape as infravision didn't work well back then. I came to an Inn, which was affectionately known as Inn 1 back in the day. I decided to be adventurous and walk off the path into the forest.. Suddenly I started getting hit, but it was so dark I could barely see anything but the fuzzy face of a bear. Having lost my barring and not knowing which way to run I tried fighting it, but failed. My rusty scimitar and patchwork armor were no match for the bear.

As I was walking through the forest I found myself on edge, the darkness instilled some real fear into me just a bit. When the bear hit me, I jumped in my chair.

It was such a great time.. All us warriors wanted was enough money to afford a "combine" weapon so we could kill wisps. No one knew anything and it was so fun having to depend on each other for help.

I have never enjoyed an mmog as much and probably never will again since those early days of Everquest. I do miss those days so much.

Thanks for the memories Everquest, I doubt I will ever forget them.

SG

Originally posted by Wickes
    BTW, Saragoth, it's just a guess ... but I'd bet you were banned for bad language.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I am going to beat myself to death for saying this, but thoughts of playing EQ again have been crossing my mind, especially now that some of my old guildies are drifting back to EQ1 from EQ2.

I'm currently playing WoW, but I still miss EQ, even if I couldn't find a group to save my life the last time I played (in December...) I'm really far behind though-- after 3 expansions that I haven't bought, I am sure that all my best gear is crap now, and I have a baby due in 7 weeks, after which I doubt I'll be up to much gaming.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• I miss my fat troll sk alot... WoW was very nice and kudos to blizzard, but it's missing the magic.
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Trolls are sexy. And ogres too!

What can I say? I like the big boys!

::::02::

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• InveniumInvenium Member Posts: 2

I played a monk for five years, with a couple of military-related breaks, from 1999 to 2004. 

I do miss the game at times, but the game I miss no longer exists. 

I miss North Freeport (the trade center on Mith Mar and Drinal).  I miss having to wait til Saturday morning to make the run from Qeynos to Freeport.  I miss Guk being a rough place.

I miss Naggy and Vox.

I miss most of Kunark.

Velious started grinding on me.

Luclin made my head hurt.

PoP brought tears to my eyes.

GoD drove me away.

I miss the people the most...the old gang...before we were all in "uber raid guilds" fighting over mobs and "ph4t l3wtz". 

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Originally posted by umpf
    I miss my fat troll sk alot... WoW was very nice and kudos to blizzard, but it's missing the magic.

/agree

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• FarulosonothFarulosonoth Member UncommonPosts: 107

Hmm... No I dont miss it. Because I still am playing it.

Thanks for asking though.

• coolcloud368coolcloud368 Member Posts: 57

Is EQ better than Asheron's Call 2 and Ultima Online?

------------------------------
    World of Warcraft-Retired
    (Blair 60 Warlock-Daggerspine)
    RF Online-Downloading
    Guild Wars-Retired
    (Amazonsfinest 20 Warrior/Monk)

• FarulosonothFarulosonoth Member UncommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by coolcloud368
    Is EQ better than Asheron's Call 2 and Ultima Online?

Yes