Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any risks in running the NA version of the game from Europe?

KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Greetings!

I am currently testing the north american 3.0 version of the game from Europe, and i was wondering;

do you guys think its likely that NCsoft will eventually bar/prevent us (EU players) from using the NA version anymore?

Why am I asking a question like this?

Think about it; you start playing on the NA version, and level up a character, than u spend some real money on pets and etcatera, THAN ONE DAY, SUDDENLY, ncsoft pulls the plug and game becomes inaccessable from the rest of the world (NON-America).... That would kinda suck:D

I am FULLY AWARE of the fact that ALL MMORPG's eventually ''die out'', and in the end, Aion will be no exception.

But the problem is; I do not wanna be barred from a game that I spent time & money on WHILE everyone else on the other continent is still enjoying the product.

So, what are u guys thoughts on the subject?

Thx in advance:)

PS! Why am I so fixated on the US version of the game?

1-3.0 version instead of the 2.7 version which, Gameforge will release- god knows when.

2-The way I perceive it; even when we get the 3.0 version, the NA players will prolly be enjoying the 5.5 version of the game (a little exeggerating here, hehe:D), so we will still likely be behind in game development / patch application.

3-I DON'T like NCsoft (for various reasons), BUT I trust gameforge even less than what I do NCsoft so...

4-LAG; Despite supposedly being a EU dedicated service, the Gameforge version of Aion seems to be on par with the NA version of the game when it comes to ping times..... OR ATLEAST ALSMOST the same, from my personal experience.

Comments

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

well maybe instead talkin gibberish you should do some research. gameforge already stated to release 3.0 in this spring. the only reason why it takes longer in europe is becasue they have to translate the game in 2 more languages (german, french).

and well atm i dont think there are problems for u to play on na servers.. i actually dont know the contract gf and nc worked out but there were other games where one publisher forced the other one to ip-block the people from their continent.. i think this only can be answered by ncsoft and gf,

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There is no IP block. You can safely play on the NA servers.

I am right now. I even got confirmation from Customer Support that it's allowed to play on NA servers from Europe.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Originally posted by khartokhar3

well maybe instead talkin gibberish you should do some research. gameforge already stated to release 3.0 in this spring. the only reason why it takes longer in europe is becasue they have to translate the game in 2 more languages (german, french).

and well atm i dont think there are problems for u to play on na servers.. i actually dont know the contract gf and nc worked out but there were other games where one publisher forced the other one to ip-block the people from their continent.. i think this only can be answered by ncsoft and gf,

Well, thank you for the second paragraph of the reply you wrote, but about the first one;  instead of assuming that I was talking gibberish, maybe you shouldn't have opened up your post with gibberish yourself. I did my research, and knew that 3.0 would prolly be released by this summer. And naturally, its because of the fact that europeans speak multiple languages, its a no-brainer. I was not asking u here why the game was being delayed in Europe.

I WAS asking about your guesses/knowledge regarding the possible long-term implications of playing on the NA server from EU and so on(spending money on the game etcatera), which you-DID promptly answer to in the second part of your reply.

Oh, and I admit that when I said gameforege will release 3.0 ''god knows when'', it was exeaggerated, but thats only because I was - if ever so slightly frustrated by the current situation explained above. And IMHO unforseen delays that take a extended amounts of time (maybe at-a worst case; even months) - to fix are rather common ammong MMO's.

@Jerokane; ''I even got confirmation from Customer Support that it's allowed to play on NA servers from Europe.''

Are you serious? Coz if u are, i should probably give you a Borat-kiss right away!! Actually this is the sort of thing I was hoping to hear, but naturally i wa fearing to learn the opposite also :P

Thx for the heads-up:)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Krelian

@Jerokane; ''I even got confirmation from Customer Support that it's allowed to play on NA servers from Europe.''

Are you serious? Coz if u are, i should probably give you a Borat-kiss right away!! Actually this is the sort of thing I was hoping to hear, but naturally i wa fearing to learn the opposite also :P

Thx for the heads-up:)

Yes I am,

I couldn't connect to the US servers via the launcher after downloading the launcher and the game. Thought it was an IP block.

So I contacted CS to ask if Europe was IP blocked and if Europeans were allowed to play on US servers.

This is the response I got (pretty much the solution I got from someone on this site earlier btw hehe):

Thank you for contacting NCsoft Technical Support.

We understand your concern but as a primary troubleshooting step, please make sure you are running the NCsoft Launcher with North America settings.

To select this setting please follow the below instructions

1. Open the NCsoft Launcher

2. Click File

3. Click Settings

4. Click on the Advanced tab

5. Choose the region in the Region drop-down box ("North America")

6. Click OK

Close the launcher, re-open and launch the game client. This should resolve the issue you are facing.

Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions or problem regarding this issue.

Regards,

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

High Ping is your main problem if you want to PvP.

• samad1samad1 Member Posts: 24

i'm playing the na version too. hope we wont get an ip block lol. but yeah doesn't look like there will be any problems. otherwise they wouldn't tell u how to play on the na servers from eu.

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by kartana

High Ping is your main problem if you want to PvP.

Yes, thats just the main issue. Few mins ago, i was havin 226ms. terrible but not impossible to play. in solo pve i wasnt having any problem, but maybe a healer in a group will have, and of course pvp.

But i dont mind. I have my chars in eu servers, but this i kind of a begining ^-^