Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me please, why is Eve that good?

124»

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by I.Gunslinger
    Originally posted by Malcanis

A second account is nice to have, but you can easily substitute having decent social skills. If you're prepared to work with others and put in some effort yourself, then a 2nd account is by no means mandatory.

A friend of mine started EVE around the same time as I did, and he's never had a second account; he was one of the team that won the last alliance tournament, a member of one of the top PvP alliances, and a really nice guy. It's perfectly possible to do what he did and engage in top level PvP with a single account. It's easier with a second account is all.

From what I've been told online (I take everything with a grain of salt of course, but when you hear the same thing over and over again it's hard not to assume it has more than a little truth) it can make all the difference. As for being social, EVE is a game that I could play maybe a couple nights a week for a few hours a piece. Not that I wouldn't play every day if I could, but job/gym/errands/etc tend to take up most of my time. 

Is a few days a week for a few hours at a time enough to get in with a corp that would be willing to show me the ropes as a solo account?

I log in for 15 min to an hour each day.  I check my production runs, market orders, and research.  I can hop into a fleet and go do pvp if I choose, and my corp will give me the ship to fly or I can just fit one of the dozens upon dozens of ships I have sitting in my hanger.  I haven't even left my quarters in months.  Actually in the many years I've played EVE my only experience with PvP has been one suicide gank, and a couple of gate camps that were my fault to begin with; I live in the deepest parts of null space.

I play with a single account, although I have a second that I  haven't actived in a few years.  The only reason for that second account is because you can't train skills on multiple characters on a single account.  So if you want to train a guy to fly combat, and who specializes in electronic warfare, as well as be able to manufacture a variety of products, it's faster to have two accounts and train two characters at the same tie then it is to train multiple paths on a single character,  This is why people have multiple accounts; not becuase you have to, but because some people want to do a veriety of things without having to wait as long.  That doesn't mean you can't be a jack-of-all trades, you absolutely can, but it will take you a long time to master one. 

My corp will recruit a week old player, and that very day have you in a ship and fitted, flying in a fleet doing PvP.  People that will tell you that you need to play for 6 months to a year in order to pvp are lying or think that you need to be able to fly T2 battlecruisers or supercaps in order to be viable.  If you want to fly a large ship, using adavanced fittings, alone, you'll need to invest that amount of time.  Even a week old player can fly a frigate with basic fittings, and they're just as much in demand as someone that can fly T2 ships with advanced fittings.

Many of the top ranking members of my corp only log in a few days a week for just a little bit of time to run ops or just do whatever.  EVE is not the kind of game that requires you to play for hours on end, ever day, in order to do anything.  The only reason you need to log in that much, is because you choose to.

EVE is the perfect game to play for anyone that doesn't want to sign their life away in order to advance.  You aren't required to log in on specific nights and spend a few hours raiding in order to keep up with the rest of your guild in the never ending grind for gear progression. 

Obviously there are some corps that are much more strict then others, and will require players to have a minimum of skill points and to play at specific times, but they're the exception to the rule.  Coincidentally, they also don't generally hold the most power in the EVE universe; to me that says a lot.  Elitists aren't winning the internet spaceship game; contrary to what some people here would have you think.

I'm a manufacturer.  I produce ships, fittings, and modules that my corp uses.  I'm not required to log in at any specific times unless I want to fly a scheduled Op.  I don't have to be able to fly any specific ships, unless I choose to fullfil a role of some scheduled Op.  I don't have to train any specific skills unless I choose to fullful some role within my corp.  I do what I want, when I want, and how I want, with no requirements but my own desire for fun, and there was no requires amount of play time for me to fullfil at any point for me to do this.

I am a member of the largest corporation and alliance in the EVE universe.  Like I said, I live in null space (a -8 system to be exact) and I probably experience less ganking and PvP then some people will in high sec.

Yes, indeed, you are absolutely able to join a corp that will show you the ropes, while only investing a few hours a week spread out over just a few days.

Personally, I don't think "learning how to play EVE" is the hard part.  It's learning what it is that you want from EVE that's the hardest part to learn.  It's the only information that isn't readilly available to you.  Everything else can be got from a youtube tutorial or by joining a corp that will teach you everything about EVE.  Figuring out what you want out of EVE, on the other hand, could take someone months or a year.    

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Talonsin

You can do anything in Eve.  You can become the most notorious pirate in the galaxy, you can lead a group of heroic pilots on a mission into pirate territory and make them fear your name.  You can become an industrialist and have the largest super alliances seek you out for your capital ship building skills.  You can make your fortune in trading goods across the galaxy, take contracts from other players to haul goods across systems.  You can create and run a corporation under any premise imaginable, you can have them RP bible-thumping amarr loyalists or use them to dominate the galactic market and make a fortune on minerals.  Hate miners, have your group blow them up.  Have trouble with some griefer corp, hire a few merc corps to hammer them until they beg for mercy.  Dont want to keep paying for the game, use ingame cash and buy PLEX and never pay again.  It takes a bit of time to get to that points but you can get there in under a year.  I have two accounts that pay for themselves and I only play two nights a week.

The biggest attraction in Eve is that you can do what you want, not what some developer decided you should do.

This is actually not realistic EvE. 

Becoming the most notorious pirate, nah you can't really.  Solo / Small Gang is dead. You can become one of a multitude of faceless gankers, if your lucky your name will appear on the killmail list before it gets cut off due to too many names.

The largest super alliances will never seek you out for your capital building skills since the only way to build capitals is by first joining the largest super aliances.  The only time they will seek you out for your capital building skills will be to destroy your crap if you're stupid enough to manage to put down a POS and a capital array somewhere to try to produce a capital.

The only contracts available are usually scams and traps...  I could go on and on but seriously you shouldn't mislead people by posting nonsense like the above, the truth is more useful and will save the guy some time and money.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

This is actually not realistic EvE. Becoming the most notorious pirate, nah you can't really.  Solo / Small Gang is dead. You can become one of a multitude of faceless gankers, if your lucky your name will appear on the killmail list before it gets cut off due to too many names.The largest super alliances will never seek you out for your capital building skills since the only way to build capitals is by first joining the largest super aliances.  The only time they will seek you out for your capital building skills will be to destroy your crap if you're stupid enough to manage to put down a POS and a capital array somewhere to try to produce a capital.The only contracts available are usually scams and traps...  I could go on and on but seriously you shouldn't mislead people by posting nonsense like the above, the truth is more useful and will save the guy some time and money.

Just because you are not capable any of these yourself, does not mean it is not realistic or impossible...

Originally posted by Gdemami

Becoming the most notorious pirate, nah you can't really.  Solo / Small Gang is dead. You can become one of a multitude of faceless gankers, if your lucky your name will appear on the killmail list before it gets cut off due to too many names.

The largest super alliances will never seek you out for your capital building skills since the only way to build capitals is by first joining the largest super aliances.  The only time they will seek you out for your capital building skills will be to destroy your crap if you're stupid enough to manage to put down a POS and a capital array somewhere to try to produce a capital.

The only contracts available are usually scams and traps...  I could go on and on but seriously you shouldn't mislead people by posting nonsense like the above, the truth is more useful and will save the guy some time and money.

Just because you are not capable any of these yourself, does not mean it is not realistic or impossible...

Started playing in 2003, played for almost a decade.  Its a game design problem,  not a player capability problem.

Bleh I started in 2003.  Its a game design problem, not a player problem.

What has your starting date to do with your false assumptions?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

It would have been better to say that you can have those as your goals, but, like everything it all requires hard work and effort on your part, and, as Eve is probably one of the most social games currently in existence, you will need to persuade others to 'help' you achieve those goals, or shared goals perhaps.. but Eve does give you the freedom to choose those goals, something that no other game, that i am aware of, does..   Eve is a player driven game.. i think that pretty much explains it as much as it can be.. even the Devs have a hard time keeping up image

Bleh I started in 2003.  Its a game design problem, not a player problem.

What has your starting date to do with your false assumptions?

My starting date and experience in EvE give me a good understanding of what is and is not possible.  The blurb was nonsense.  My assumptions were not false assumptions because they were not assumptions, they were statements of fact. 

My starting date and experience in EvE give me a good understanding of what is and is not possible. 

Oh, so you believe that because you say that you are a 2003 player it somehow turns your false claim into valid?

Sorry to disappoint you but only credibility of the arguments is judged, not those who pronounce them.

My starting date and experience in EvE give me a good understanding of what is and is not possible. 

Oh, so you believe that because you say that you are a 2003 player it somehow turns your false claim into valid?

Sorry to disappoint you but only credibility of the arguments is judged, not those who pronounce them.

I believe that experience is a good indicator of ones ability to provide correct information.  Since the OP requested that people with experience provide information and I have information gained from years of experience then I believe I provided what the OP requested :)

Experience:

Mission running

Mining

Pirating

0.0 Alliance Member (Stain Alliance)

0.0 Pirating

Scammer

War Deccer

CEO of a Corporation and founder of a large alliance.

I believe that experience is a good indicator of ones ability to provide correct information.  Since the OP requested that people with experience provide information and I have information gained from years of experience then I believe I provided what the OP requested :)

Eh, so many fallacy in a single post.

1) You can believe anything you want, it does not make it true tho...

2) Where do you see such request of the op?

3) Just because you claim you got an experience and knowledge does not make you containing one...

4) Even if you do have an experience and knowledge, it does not ensure you can draw correct conclusions.

Well, I would say if you ever wanted to weight validity of your claims on your authority, you have very much ruined your effort...

• CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

Eh, so many fallacy in a single post.

1) You can believe anything you want, it does not make it true tho...

2) Where do you see such request of the op?

3) Just because you claim you got an experience and knowledge does not make you containing one...

4) Even if you do have an experience and knowledge, it does not ensure you can draw correct conclusions.

Well, I would say if you ever wanted to weight validity of your claims on your authority, you have very much ruined your effort...

Go away, people like you ruin this community, constantly starting arguements.

Originally posted by citalkay

Go away, people like you ruin this community, constantly starting arguements.

Any proof to back up your claim? :)

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

I would say that your 0.0 alliance experience is at least a bit dated since Stain Alliance has been gone for many many years. Stain Alliance members founded my current alliance and my alliance is one of the oldest in the game.

Originally posted by Calfis

I would say that your 0.0 alliance experience is at least a bit dated since Stain Alliance has been gone for many many years. Stain Alliance members founded my current alliance and my alliance is one of the oldest in the game.

Yea that was a while ago, I was Infinity Ziona in EvE, SA is in my employment history somewhere don't remember what year.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

What makes eve so special is its History, not the games history, but the actual history of the people and groups in that game. Its really really different from other games because it matters alot to the(older) players, who are more or less running the show even these days.

So no, you can't become the greatest pirate or the leader of the greatest alliance of all time. Just like you can't discover amerika or become the next Mohammed Ali. Things that lay in the past always appear larger and greater(especially to those that where there when they happened), but you can can follow in the footsteps of these great accomplishments and if you preveil your name aswell may go into the history of eve, and inspire the following generations.

To me that is what eve is about. The next similar thing in those themepark games are server or world first kills, but really they don't hold even a small candle to the kind infamacy you can reach in eve and beyond. What makes eve so special is that it covers all the angles, wether you are a scumbag, a social misfit or psychology student looking for unwary and unvoluntary ... objects. Or you can become the ultimate motherhen and play "Sims: EvE Edition", with your own menagerie of misfits, only they are real people.

Also imho EvE is one of the very few MMOs thats worth its subscription fee. Its the ideal kind of game to have as primary secondary, just add some F2P or B2O MMO(*cough* i heard there is a new one coming out soon) for that instant gratifaction or mindless butchery to work of some steam.

P.S.: Never play EvE when angry and wanting a killing spree. Lack of judgement leads to embarassing 'splosions that will NOT make you feel better.