Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA to be the sleeper hit of 2012......

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Im sorry, did aion fail? last time i checked it was number 1 in korea.. still is, and tera isnt beating Aion in korea.

But then again, the devs didnt hit every facet of Aion with the casual nerf bat the way en masse did, so maybe it will be a hit here. since most western players seem to like easier games.

O wait do we live in korea here? Last time i checke most of us lives in NA or EU and guess what? Aion tanked in NA and EU.

Originally posted by chibineko89

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by karmath

It really wont be.

While the combat is awesome, the best we have seen in recent years, but the rest of the game is the same ol' tired linear themepark.

Hyping it to be more than that is stupid.

you forgot to add, how wonderful , unique, and different GW2 will be.

Big Roll of eyes for you!

gw2 will be different thats for sure

they are breaking alot of mmo standards

wont know if its fun though till i can try it out

but none that i care about... now where have i heard that before.

Originally posted by wrightstuf

I see alot of ..."It gets better later on"...i've never seen that. if an mmo doesnt capture your attention and start off fun, then thats the way it is. If anything, a developer should try to make it just the opposite to draw more people in, then work more on end game content.

The only thing that gets better later on is licking your way to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

I wonder if ths new generation or something but appearly working toward something doesn't exist any more its either get it now or gtfo.

Originally posted by skydiver12

Tera's downfall could only be the "PVP" centric claims of the EU / NA publishers. TERA is not a PVP centric game by nature (korea). Possibility of Politics does not equal FFA full PVP all day ganking - in Korea. The PVP crowd overhyped by the Betas currently ignore the fact that the level cap and lack of Endgame itemization (like enchanting, luxing and stone stacking with top end gear) is missing.

see: http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.de/2012/02/tera-online-gear-attributes-and.html TERA's half ofcustomization  is GEAR(Equipmen) based. The rest is Glyphs.

Unlike what many believe this takes time, this creates a huge item(gear) gap and thus many will sink down a lot of time into gear (pve) or metagame politics in order to be competitive in pvp.

The level dominance falls of swiftly, and once you can get one shottet by a PVE centric player with top gear, you will need to sink down your time into gear too, as a PVPer. Open world ganking with friends during a GVG will not give you the gear. Outlawing random people killing BAMs will not give you the gear. The whole "skill" BS only applies when equally geared or for the beta : within 2 levels.

You don't have to farm that much for gear in Tera, drop rates has been fixed in Korea so its like 3-4 gold per run. Ofc most of those are going toward upgradining lol =X as for pvp in Korea, thing is they don't like OWPVP, no idea why but they shun it so almost no one does it. Unlike NA/EU where we love it.

Originally posted by Kyleran

LOL, and all would be accused of being Asian grinders in this day and age. image

Players really have no clue what they want.  They don't want to grind, either by questing or just standard camp grinding of mobs, so what is it that they really want?  To stop grinding altogether apparently.

I think the answer is they really don't want to play MMORPG's anymore as evidenced by the direction GW2 is taking with progression (and lack thereof)

Tera won't be a smash hit, in fact I expect Enmasse would be thrilled if they are as successful as Trion/Rift and still running 10 full servers a year from now.

But they shouldn't feel bad if they miss the mark, if past history is any indicator few other titles will really be a big hit (GW2 not withstanding, that's almost too big to fail I think) so they'll be in good company.

Hey, EVE's still going strong with just one server.   image

What they want is to not have to work for anything but still have the satisfaction as if they worked for it. People who like old school game know this feeling, you grind to lvl up, sure its work but once you get up there you can enjoy the benfits of been high lvl and do and explore higher lvl content. Like Tera and most game i don't give a damn about the progression, i work hard through it to get to the end game, if the game has a solid end game than my work is worth it for long term enjoyment (for me will be Tera's pvp)

Originally posted by NBlitz

Any other TERA fans getting sick of following the TERA forums? It's the same folks, same crap but different day.

I CANNOT WAIT until the lot of you disappear into GW2 and forget about this niche title. Niche title but loved by its fan base.

I've gone from title to title and discussed the one I left during that time but never to the extent some of you have and still are. 

You're kidding yourself if you think you're discussing anything. What you're doing is trying to put down others for their preferences. To make yourself feel better because you're a wretch.

Different days? What you talking about its the same crap same day same time but differen't universise. Yes its scary but our alternate dimention self are suffering the same thing D;

Originally posted by firefly2003

Tbh I havent been following GW2 at all I play the first one hated it gave the account to a friend, with everything he's listed in green it sounds like I really wouldn't like GW2 either , from what it sounds like getting rid of what everyone hates in a MMO makes GW2 not even sound like a MMO where everyone is a special snowflake, if there is no quest grind what is there to do deathmatches in PVP? What is the longetivity to the game if there is nothing to do but kill things? Of course this is just my opinion but that doesn't even sound fun.

I'll keep the stuff I like in MMOs that are NOT WoW or the multiudes of its clone army (TOR,etc)

You follow gaint letters on your screen telling you what to do.

And ya pretty much battle ground or their WvWvW which is just a mess of random people fighting.

Originally posted by Musik

MW2/3 = GW2 

BF3 = Tera

If you don't get it don't bother replying.

omg i agree on the comparsion.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Really don't want to get into the whole... Elin whatever debate all over again.

my god the horror, i'll say this both side were extremely immature about it so i can't side with either -.-

Originally posted by Musik

If people don't like it and they have expressed their opinion why keep doing it over and over again. That is the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!)

omg some one know this!!! <3

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Here is the deal , one person calling others trolls in the forum, Stated GW2 does nothing different , and that Tera is very different.

This is false, they got called on it , and basiclly couldn't argue with the facts,then someone rightly stated well different doesn't equal better. This is a good arguement. But not the original matter of contention.

Lets be honest Tera Could be good, great, bad, ok, or awful. Im personally leaning to ok. I don't care for its combat , its an anti action action combat system (or thats how it feels to me). Beyond that it doesn't change anything from the mmo experince, This is reality. However, its the small things that make mmos enjoyable, so the combination of systems and game experince could make Tera a wonderful game to play, or just the same awful.

The same is true for GW2 it might be very bad. I kind like better equipment to strive for but gw2 doesn't have it (not the tredmill like wow has tho, more like daoc, like every so often / expack there were new better items, but just a bit better and not better items for every item slot). Furthermore, GW2 is acctually doing things different. And honestly if you looked at it with less bias you might like some of the changes (Amazing playability, all content is playable by your character... so you level 52 and your firend is 10 ... no problem go play with him you'll scale down to the zones level and play together, Non-liner experince. You don't follow quest huh to quest hub per say, you just walk off and explore in -> direction  and stuff happens and you effect its outcome, explorable easter eggs; jumping, thinking, fighting puzzles hidden all over).  The game is doing something different, you might not like it, it may suck. But give credit where credit is due.

PS. Just to be fair, i think gw2 ~ equal equipment is lame, i don't care for it. And more so i think generic and jack of all trade classes ARE THE WORST, i feel classes should fit very spefici roles, hybrid are ok but only if they come with pros and cons. (And i like tera's class system, just do not like the combat).

Back to TERA if it wanted to be a big hit removing that action root all together would be a plus in my mind. - Out of my 14 core gaming buddies 7 tried it 5 said nope withint 2 days simply due to that. (Doesn't mean some people will not enjoy it, just that it turns many people off).

+10 logic points

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Tera wasn't long at the top of the Asian market don't expect it to do any better here in NA. The game is pretty much SWTOR with a Asian skin which we all know was easy mode WOW clone and so on.

Sleeper of 2012 will be Dominus!

Never played either game have you?

I have played all the game released that I mentioned in that post. Can not comment on Dominus.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

From the beta i'm quite impress with Tera.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

On topic, Tera will fail or succeed based solely on if En Masse plans to market their game or not. As much as forum trolls swear their uninformed opinions matter, they don't.

Rift has had an enormous marketing push, is more of a broad appeal game, and has closed over 2/3rds of their servers after one year.  Marketing only works if the game is something people will want to pay, and based on the list I gave above  think the appeal is very limited.  TERA wont fail, but it wont be over 200k subs by this time next year.

The difference between Rift and Tera is that Rift is a WoW clone and Tera is not. Having played Rift to 50 and Tera to 58 I can easily say that Tera is a superior game in ever way. If Rift can succeed in this market I don't see why Tera cannot. If its true that players get to keep their open beta characters at launch that will be a stroke of genius for En Masse. Because even though people bash Tera left and right the truth is that anybody that has invested more than a few hours discovered that this game is good. Keeping your OB characters at launch will allow a lot of people that are afraid to try this game the opportunity do so without risk and will end up subbing when they see that Tera's year of polish in action.

1.  Rift released during a 'perfect storm' period.  the only anticipated title of the year was still a long way off and not even gauranteed for 2012.  WoW had a massively unpopular expansion a few months prior and for the first time had a noticeable downward population trend.  And even with all this, heavy advertising and unprecedented giveaways and cheap promotions, along with help from anonymous taking down PSN and SoE for a while, Rft ended the year with 42 less NA servers than it began with for a total of 16.

2.  TERA is releasing in a much different environment. It has the SWTOR decline in its favor, but right around the corner is TSW, D3, MoP and GW2.  Yes, D3 isnt an MMO but it will draw heavily from MMO players.  Many people wont get invested with what they vew as better options (true or not) right around the corner

3.  Korean games traditionally do not do well in the west.  Regardless of the fact that TERA isnt a 'korean grinder,'  people in the west just dont flock to korean games.

4.  Your 'truth' is opinion, I played 2 beta weekends, up to my high 20s, and my impression is that TERA is just OK.  Good combat system does not mean good MMO.

5.  Keeping OB characters wont mean much.  TERA's closed beta were really open betas becase keys were very easy to obtain, most people that have had interest have tried it already.  OB isnt going to draw many new faces in.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

You all realize the rooting abilities go away around lvl 18. The reason that you're rooted in place it to create a sort of power curve in your character in my opinion. As your character gains levels these things go away. Also as your character gains levels your skills charge longer. There are a lot of changes that occur. Getting past lvl 18ish is the hard part for many right now. 

Honestly I quit after lvl 13 initially. I said to myself wow what a junk piece of a game. But I made myself go back because I read on the forums get past level 18-20ish and you will see most of your complaints go away. So I leveled up, and honestly what a fucking shock. As an archer I could run and gun with almost all of my skills while charging. As a berserker the same occured. I was rather impressed. Sadly  I could not talk my friend into following me, he didn't believe it. Also I beat him 4x in a row in duels and he pretty much raged.

The point is give Tera a shot. Open beta will be free for all on the 20th. If you like pvp come try it, although you will get ganked, hell I gank everyone I see usually at quest hubs. Not for any malicious reasons, but because the pvp is really fun. The learning curve to play this game is the same as COD or MW3. When you pick up an FPS game you're not a God at the start. Regardless if you're good or not it takes time to master your craft/playstyle in it. The same holds true for Tera as well. Many people will not be used to this and quit after getting griefed. FUCK that stick it out, and kill those players back. If they come at you with numbers, be thankful because that shows an active pvp community. Lets step away from the WoW agreement pvp battleground systems. "I KNOW THERE IN TERA" but the open world pvp in it surely makes up for it. 

The linear questing is a good thing as well for pvp, think about it. Where do I have to go to find someone to kill? Ow man I can goto spot X and there will be people questing there for sure. Head over to spot X and boom 3 people are waiting for you. Kill kill kill, and let the fun go on. This is what I find most enjoyable about Tera, it has a FUN pvp system not seen since Warhammer, or early AoC. 

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by hotix

You all realize the rooting abilities go away around lvl 18

....snip....

So I leveled up, and honestly what a fucking shock. As an archer I could run and gun with almost all of my skills while charging. As a berserker the same occured. I was rather impressed. 

can anyone else verify that this is true?

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

3.  Korean games traditionally do not do well in the west.  Regardless of the fact that TERA isnt a 'korean grinder,'  people in the west just dont flock to korean games.

if all/most OTHER korean gamese ARE grinders, then your own words are working against you.

cuz then it sounds like "people in the west don't like grinders.  true, Tera is not a grinder".

alot of people in the west DO love that art style, so i don't know what else you might be stereotyping as being Korean.

Corpus Callosum    

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I think it's safe to say that unless you plan to play both x and y you have probably spent the majority your time finding out information on one or the other. This is going to make judgments towards the other one near-sighted to a certain degree.

For example: "TERA did horrible in Korea so it probably will here too". This IMO is a near-sighted prediction because it leaves out the past year and a half of changes to the game by BHS and also EME's changes for it's western audience. Others would be:

"TERA offers nothing new to the genre"

"TERA is like your typical Asian grinder"

And so on. You're entitled to your opinion of course. It's pretty obvious however which ones have credence and which ones are based simply on lack of information/experience.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Concerning art style I think Eastern games have been beating the snot out of western games where originality and imagination are concerned. My own preference though.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Nadya3

Bioware made something totally new, and different.

No they didn't.  It was just a multiplayer sequel.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by BizkitNL

<>

You cannot play TERA by mouse-clicking your skills. What kind of effect do you think that will have on the regular MMO gamer?

Nah, that's too easy of an argument. You assume MMO gamers only play MMO's and nothing else?

But I wasn't too specific. I was looking at TERA as a whole. <>

I should've added that I think it's one of the reasons why I think the game will never be more than niche, within the MMO genre. image

It's not the first time I've heard people saying that they come home from a long day at work/school and all they want to do is "relax" playing an MMO. 

Originally posted by Omnifish

Originally posted by Omnifish

<>

<>

Even if we assmue that is true, we aready have a game like this in the west...it's called DCU <>

DCUO had a wonky block and dodge system, frustrating soft tab target system and was more of a hybrid. Has that changed? Don't lump it with TERA.

So your seriously saying a slightly, 'better', dodge system will keep people playing longer? Even with the quest hubs/ grindo game structure?

Point is, DCU was set up exactly the same way.  People said, 'Oh the combats great and different, that'll keep people playing!', I can tell you this because for my sins I was one of them, but it didn't because the quests/tasks were mindless grinding of mobs, till end game. I can lump Tera in the same bracket for sure, actually DCU at least had a little pay off if you like comicbook cutscenes...

once the newness wore off (within 4-5 levels) i didn't like DCUO combat at all.  despite people calling it an action game, it felt too much like a slightly different take on your standard dice rolling combat in the way that it played out.  

Tera feels NOTHING like DCUO combat.   while i don't like the rooting, and IMO its not really a "true action game" because of that, it is A LOT more real-life-skill based and a lot more like an action game than DCUO.

Corpus Callosum    

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by AxesSWTOR

TERA will *not* be a hit.  Too many things against it.

Korean games do not do well in the west 

Everything about the game, outside of the combat and graphics, is generic

The games first 20 levels do not put out an impression that the game is remotely difficult, the easiest 1-20 weve ever seen

The fourth thing that could kill it is the community, but Ill just chalk the atrocious community up to beta.  

^

So tera will fail purely because it is korean...

At least you two could pretend you do any type of research before you post. Tera has been westernized so much the only thing korean about it now is the original dev team.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by burdock2

With all these other high profile MMOs running ramparnt atm (SWTOR/TSW/GW2) I feel that TERA might just be that sleeper that makes a bigger spalsh than people are predicting.

lmao.

yeah, no.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

@Corpusc,

Not Doing quests, except the main story, gave me a great sense feeling of freedom. Best decision I have made playing TERA. I'd have to dig for the official announcement regarding the NA xp tweak, not sure on an exact date. While I didn't record the numbers I tested my theory from level one with an Archer. There were times that I was not high enough for the next step in the main quest so I'd just go out and fight orange level monsters. It's really important to keep stamina up though. I thought it was actually faster than running all over turning in quests but that could be because the combat is great and time seemed to go by faster. You also get more money due to a higher amount of mob kills.

I would highly recommend you try it for Open Beta since you seen to have the same stance I do. I can handle 1-4 quests at a time, 15 is overkill lol. This is the first game I've found to let me progress without grinding it's quests.

thanks.  this is great to know.  now i think i definitely will have to buy the game.

if what hotix said is true, that the rooting largely (or even partially) goes away past 18, i might end up getting to max level for the first time ever (provided i have the time).  

these 2 factors may also make me wanna play on a PVP server, which i had decided strongly against based on getting one-shot just outside city gates.  and seeing how often city gates were being camped.   8)

i figured levelling up via quests would result in constant deaths, but if i'm not so railroaded by quests, i have alot more freedom to move around to more out of the way areas, and being ranged with abilities that can be used on the run would make surviving much easier.

Corpus Callosum    

lol  so everything about the game, outside of the game itself, is generic.

if you were expecting Tera to be Second Life 2, A Tale In The Desert 2, SWTOR 2, or anything other than combat centric, you have some serious problems in being able to predict ANYTHING about games.   

Corpus Callosum    

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Originally posted by AxesSWTOR

TERA will *not* be a hit.  Too many things against it.

Korean games do not do well in the west 

The games first 20 levels do not put out an impression that the game is remotely difficult, the easiest 1-20 weve ever seen

The fourth thing that could kill it is the community, but Ill just chalk the atrocious community up to beta.  

^

So tera will fail purely because it is korean...

At least you two could pretend you do any type of research before you post. Tera has been westernized so much the only thing korean about it now is the original dev team.

but you know how people over view cover of everything, omg its from Korea!!! asian grinder not going to play.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by corpusc

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

@Corpusc,

Not Doing quests, except the main story, gave me a great sense feeling of freedom. Best decision I have made playing TERA. I'd have to dig for the official announcement regarding the NA xp tweak, not sure on an exact date. While I didn't record the numbers I tested my theory from level one with an Archer. There were times that I was not high enough for the next step in the main quest so I'd just go out and fight orange level monsters. It's really important to keep stamina up though. I thought it was actually faster than running all over turning in quests but that could be because the combat is great and time seemed to go by faster. You also get more money due to a higher amount of mob kills.

I would highly recommend you try it for Open Beta since you seen to have the same stance I do. I can handle 1-4 quests at a time, 15 is overkill lol. This is the first game I've found to let me progress without grinding it's quests.

thanks.  this is great to know.  now i think i definitely will have to buy the game.

if what hotix said is true, that the rooting largely (or even partially) goes away past 18, i might end up getting to max level for the first time ever (provided i have the time).  

these 2 factors may also make me wanna play on a PVP server, which i had decided strongly against based on getting one-shot just outside city gates.  and seeing how often city gates were being camped.   8)

i figured levelling up via quests would result in constant deaths, but if i'm not so railroaded by quests, i have alot more freedom to move around to more out of the way areas, and being ranged with abilities that can be used on the run would make surviving much easier.

What hotix said is slightly miss leading, rooting animation is still there, you are going to stop moving to do an attack that will never go away for balance reason and thats how this combat system works. However as you hit higer lvl its much less noticeable with glyph and bonus on equips that increase attack speed. You skill/attack will chain much more fluidly where you won't feel the root much anymore.

What hotix was refering to was the charge skill of archer and berserkers. In lower lvl when you charge you can't move, however by 18 or so you get upgraded verison of the skill that allow you to move while charging.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by chibineko89

gw2 breaks mmo standards

completely gearless based pvpr In other words, no form of progression or achievement.  Hell, your name doesn't even show up while PvP'ing, so people never know who killed who. How is that fun at all?

no mob taggingThis is innovation?  Really?

pushes ppl to work together without barriers suchs as partie Forced grouping.  Rift already does this.

everyone gets their own loot based on what they did So, no mob tagging + measured contributions based on what you do.  What could possibly go wrong?  Not that it matters, loot is worthless in this game.  How quaint.

limiting players to about a dozen skills to b used at one time"Limiting" being the key word here.  What freedom!

no gear grinding And no endgame.  

WvWvW Gigantic Battleground that is completely separate from the persistent world.  

no open world pve where you get gankedNo open world anything, actually.  Everything is separated into nice little compartments so the players don't get their feelings hurt by other mean players when playing.  

there wont b pvp, pve,rp servers theres no nee No need for PvP and PvE because there is no open world element to the game.  Most would consider this a negative.  No rp?  Why?  Guess RPers get screwed in this game.

can do almost anything in the game from lvl 1 dont have to get to max lvll to get the "real game" A nice way of saying "no endgame content." But let's see a level 1 match up with a level 30 player in WvWvW, and then tell me that's a practical idea.  SWTOR got butchered by people complaining about not having PvP level tiers.  And somehow you think this will be a good idea for GW2? 

a hybrid hotkey action mmo that takes physics into account(i have the highground i can shoot farther as an example.  Hybrid...lol.  It's tab target combat.  Period. Yes, you can aim in a direction, but you won't NEED to do that.  

no more reading quest txt Nope, just long, protracted Kill X of Y quest chains...errr...I mean, "dynamic events."  

no long list of  quests to do on the side on the UI Nope, just long, protracted Kill X of Y quest chains...errrr..., I mean, "dynamic events."

not bound bound by animations Nope, just by excessive cooldowns, which means you spend every fight spamming one key for the majority of it.  How fun.  

no holy trininity 8 utility classes.  What a joy.  So much for uniqueness.  

im sure i could go on but gw2 does more to change MMOs than any other game ive seen recently They certainly do more things "differently."  I think many people will find that it may not be a good thing, though.  

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by rexzshadow

<>

What hotix was refering to was the charge skill of archer and berserkers. In lower lvl when you charge you can't move, however by 18 or so you get upgraded verison of the skill that allow you to move while charging.

At level 20 and higher. Only through glyphs, and the first one costs 7 (!!!) points, so it takes a while to get the second one for the other charge-up skill.

L2P TERA combat:

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I am not sure I would say that TERA will be a hit. Mostly it depends on what you mean by hit or successful. But sleeper hit is also not far off. I think it will do much better than most people would expect.

TERA does what it does very well and in a nutshell, that is what is needed to carve out a niche for yourself in this market. What does TERA do? Action combat. Ok, sure, lots of people will roll their eyes at that one because it doesn't appeal to them. Or they will say, sure it is something different but it isn't enough. Actually, I think it is enough. How a game does its combat is pretty huge because you spend the majority of your time doing combat. Great graphics, meh, important but not enough on its own. 100% voice overs, meh, nice to have but not enough on its own. Totally different combat system from virtually all other MMOs? That will make the difference for a lot of people. I know for myself, this was the first game in a long time for me in which I wasn't actively trying to avoid combat to get to my quest objectives.  How many times do you weave your way around the zombies because the quests only asks you to kill skeletons? In TERA I was killing mobs often just for the fun of it. I often found myself killing a few extras on the way back to the quest giver just because they were there. Sure it is subjective, and depends entirely on how much you enjoy the style of combat to begin with but if you do enjoy it turns out to be a not to small factor in how much you enjoy the game.

I think TERA is going to be a niche game. Much like how hardcore FFA PvP games are also very niche. They appeal to a certain type of MMO player and those players form a very stable, consistent community. EVE online is a good example of this. You just can't get the EVE experience any where else. But you have to want the EVE experience.

Same for TERA. It won't appeal to everyone, you have got to like a certain amount of twitch in your MMO. But for those who want that kind of game play, you currently can't find it anywhere else. The base community of TERA is going to be stable and consistent and probably larger than most outsiders would have expected. But I doubt it will turn the whole genre upside down either.

And yes, TERA does have the other half of the equation in place. That is, they are doing what they are doing very well, so far as I can tell currently. The game runs nicely. It has a rich feature set though maybe a few non essentials are missing. They communicate well with their community. The game has great polish. By itself all this would not be enough but anymore it is almost essential for getting your foot in the door.

TERA will do fine.

All die, so die well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Any other TERA fans getting sick of following the TERA forums? It's the same folks, same crap but different day.

I CANNOT WAIT until the lot of you disappear into GW2 and forget about this niche title. Niche title but loved by its fan base.

I've gone from title to title and discussed the one I left during that time but never to the extent some of you have and still are. 

You're kidding yourself if you think you're discussing anything. What you're doing is trying to put down others for their preferences. To make yourself feel better because you're a wretch.

There's nothing niche about it.

If anything, it's pretty mainstream.

No, it's going to be pretty niche.

What you are doing is lookning at the same old, same old quests and saying "well, other games do taht therefore it's going to be mainstream".

The kill x quests actually lend to the "niche" moniker because so many mainstrea people are tired of them. And since Tera has a very specific type of game play (meaning pvp, kill x quests and BAMS; some dungeons) that mainstream players will either be tired of the "same old same old", will want everythign that WoW has, will chastise the game for ot having as much as many other mainstream games.

The players who will like Tera are those who are reminded by the old school, grinding, open world and perhaps ffa pvp. They will overlook all the mainstream Tera stuff so they can capitalize on the strong points.

I don't see a lot of people being into ffa pvp (even on the Tera forums there are people who are convinced that it's evil) there aren't going to be a lot of people wanting to do kill x quests interrupted by BAM grinding.

Essentially the game will speak to a smaller subset of players, regardless of its mainstream thrust.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

if all/most OTHER korean gamese ARE grinders, then your own words are working against you.

cuz then it sounds like "people in the west don't like grinders.  true, Tera is not a grinder".

alot of people in the west DO love that art style, so i don't know what else you might be stereotyping as being Korean.

Aion really isnt a grinder either.  You know what was a grinder?  Everquest.  Which to this day is still the second most popular MMO in the west historically, the only game besides WoW to maintain over 400k population for years at a time.

lol  so everything about the game, outside of the game itself, is generic.

if you were expecting Tera to be Second Life 2, A Tale In The Desert 2, SWTOR 2, or anything other than combat centric, you have some serious problems in being able to predict ANYTHING about games.   

A good combat system needs content to support that system.  If you think in such a ridiculously narrow manner and break down MMOs to just combat and graphics, maybe you should address your serious problems before trying to tell  others thay have them.

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Games not worth paying for thats all i can say, ill wait for shards

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

I agree that TERA will be a niche title.  It's not going to have overwhelming sub numbers due to some stigmas that are attached to it from people that haven't played the game.  But the population will be healthy.

I do think that if people go into TERA and try to play it like they would a standard themepark MMO, they probably will be dissatisfied.  The questing in TERA is linear.  The game world is anything but.  However, to truly enjoy this game, I think people have to be willing to break away from that completionist mindset that many themeparkers have today.  I found the game was most enoyable for me when I only concentrated on the main storyline quests while spending the rest of my time exploring and killing.  I use those side quests as ocassional xp boosters when trying to finish off a level, or giving myself a quick start in the next level.  Then once dungeons and BAMs become available around level 20, things really get fun.   

My main fear for this game is that people will view the entire game based on the starter area and not give the rest of it a chance.