Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta List and Review

Updated April 18.

Open Beta List and Review - (Work in Progress)
Ok, here's my reviews of Open betas, all my reviews are based on personal opinions and are not to be taken to heart.

Don't be afraid to comment or suggest games to add!!!

Read First!!! I will flag games as Open (which is a currently open beta), Pending (Soon to be Open Beta), and towards the end of the list I may add CB (Close Beta).
I'm puting some of the bigger closed beta's near the bottom, some Closed beta's near the top because I believe people will want to be able to see right when the turn open beta. And I may add some high quality free mmorpg's near the bottom because I believe that some people are looking for a fun game to play for free, but this is still primarily open beta list.
Also, reviews/previews/explantions not by me, but (usually) by the company will be in GREEN.
Last thing is the best beta isn't always at the top, when I add a new game to the list it's proably going to be at the top, so the top, could be the worst or the best, or anywhere in between.

Note on Closed Beta tests. Closed Beta tests can be open to the public, so if you're a serious beta tester don't overlook them.

Table of Contents

I. The List
II. News
III. "How to Join" and "What is an Open Beta?"

I. The List

- Supreme Destiny Fantasy - Supreme Destiny is an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) title published by E-Games. This game offers a very intensive character development as well as a unique pet/mount system to complement your character.

P.S. Thanks to cootsy for finding this, Thanks!

- Shot Online Golf Sim MMO - Note: I dunno about this one, not bashing the game, just saying.
Shot-Online is not just an online sports game either, but it is a highly accurate simulation and a deep role-playing experience. It is the RPG quality that makes Shot-Online the unique game it is, especially with the community interaction and the enhancement and leveling of your character.
http://www.shot-online.com

- Kingdoms of War RTS/Fantasy - In some respects KOW is like other RTS games.  However, to label it as such really puts it in a category of games that don't attempt to tackle even half the scope that KOW is going for.  It is difficult to call KOW a RTS, RPG or even an empire building simulation because it is all of those, yet it is more.  One thing that sets KOW apart from all other games is that the gaming world is totally dynamic.  99% of what goes on in the game depends on real people interacting with each other.

- Raycrash Sci-Fi (Open) ?+/10 - This is a Mecha based MMORPG, I havn't heard about it till just recently, so I'm not sure if it's gonna be any good, but I didn't hear about CoH and that turned out great. Try it and make your own opinion.
P.S. Thanks to "Roin" for making a post and digging up the information!
http://www.pagn.net.ph/raycrash/index.html

- Face of Mankind Sci-Fi (Open) 6+/10 - Note: Havn't tried, might soon. It's in open beta, I think.
Another I have yet to try, I've heard many good and bad things, but this is definately in the medium range in MMO standings. FoM is a MMOFPS, yep... The most current news is from the 1rst, dunno what's up with that. It does look interesting, look atleast. Go ahead and try it out.
http://www.fomportal.com/

- Gate to Heavens Fantasy (Open) ?+/10 - Note: Havn't played yet.
I'm definately going to try this, the open beta is going as of the 24th (or 27th, not sure). This game has branching character classes (which I love). Decent visuals, seems pretty griddy, which I like. I'll write more when I get to it.
http://gth.e-games.com.my/en/index_en.asp

- R.O.S.E. Fantasy (Open) 6+/10 - ROSE is a very cool game from the game guys that brought us Ragnarok online. This game features fairly traditional MMO click-attack gameplay. ROSE also has a decent branching class/skill system and great spells/weapons, this could have a decent fan base since it's almost and updated version of RO. I do warn you alot of it is cutsey wutsey and may not appeal to everyone. I strongly suggest checking this out, especially if you're looking for an open beta.
Note: My thanks to sog3n for reminding me of this one, I can't believe I almost forgot it!
http://www.roseon.com

- Outpost Sci-Fi/FPS (Open) 5+/10 - Note: I havn't played outpost in a good while so the flaws I mention could be void by now.
Outpost is a very slow paced RPG/FPS. Why do I say slow? Party because you have to stop to fire your weapon. Yep, that's right, no runnin' and gunnin' here. Is that a bad thing? Not entirely. This game did have some good points, like the excitement of getting new weapons and equipment, opporating as a unit in teams. Things like that. Since it has been a while it's very likely they could have fixed alot of the problems (lack of weapon/armor variety, not being able to run and shoot, ect). So if you're bored and like FPS, or army games, go ahead and check this one out.
http://www.outpost.com.my

- KAL Online Fantasy (Open) ?/10 - ¡®KAL-Online¡¯ brings a new genre of Oriental Fantasy to the players.¡®KAL-Online ¡¯ has oriental sentiment and culture in a fantasy world. Most current games based on western fantasy, SF, etc. but ¡®KAL-Online ¡¯ can make the players to have a new experience. The story of ¡®KAL-Online ¡¯ is based on oriental myth about the 74th war between Ha-Nin, the great king and ¡°Ban-Go¡± who challenged to the king with troops of demon.
http://www.kalonline.com

End of Open Beta's, begining of Closed and Free games.

- Dungeons & Dragons Online Fatasy (Close Alpha) 7+/10

- I think DDO will be a very cool game, definately gonna be a next or current generation MMORPG. At the moment it's technically a closed alpha. BUT! You can get in cause anyone can sign up. I'll try to keep this updated with full Open Beta announcments and/or announcments on beta pools (when they let people in). If you're a serious Beta test go for this, my best expierence have been Alpha tests, and I'm hoping I get in this one too.

- Thang Fantasy(Free) 2/10 - Note: This is another one that I dont know too much about, I'll be tring it soon.
I'm not working with much information, but from the looks of it, this game sits in the same pool as RYL. This game is a ancient China-esque game. Not much to say, the screen shots dont look good at all, seems to be over head point and click. I'd say if you havn't tried RLY, go try that, if you have and you're just looking to find something try this. I really dont know much about this game, I'll write a better review soon, just trying to get the games listed atm.
http://thang.ongameport.com/

- Xiah Fantasy (Free) 3/10 - Note: I'm not sure if this is still open, I believe it is, could be wrong.
Xiah is decent, I'd put it in the same pool as RYL. I DID NOT get to play this much at all, but from first impressions (infact like 5 minutes) it wasn't that impressive at all, if you wanted to be a certain "class" you had to be a certain character IE you have many people running around that look like you. This may appeal to those interested in anchient China, and things of that sort. I lost this game cause of a virus and I'll be trying it again soon so I can write a decent review.
http://asia.xiah.co.kr/

- Dark & Light Fantasy (CB) ?+/10 - DnL, this game will make or break the MMORPG mold, I have and probably every one of you, that DnL is suppose to have some truly ground breaking things in it. Lets start with one of the rumors or facts that I've heard, I heard that there will be Nomadic NPC's which travel around, and possibly start up towns in different locations, random, which gives people the option to be a map maker and sell maps. That's truly amazing, an incredibly smart NPC that can set up towns, making a constantly changing world, a true, alive world. Second is the visuals, this could be a old screen shot, but it still looks pretty damn good http://www.darkandlight.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/oldrender.jpg . DnL has promised Siege, PvP, Crafting, changing wheather. Very Very much things, I'll write more later.
http://www.darkandlight.net/

Comments

• HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307

Sticky Annoucment:
    If anyone writes a good serious review of any beta or any free game I will make a link to the review in this post. Thanks.
    II. News
    -April 18 1:35 AM
    General News
    - Still nothing really big in the terms of news, I think companies are getting a little more stingy in having real good, full Open Beta's. Which is great for business *cough*mourning*cough*. If a game doesn't hold a open beta, then players get uber hyped from what the game "promises" and what screen shots look like.
    - And I didn't really add anything about the Chinese WoW open beta because I'm pretty sure MMORPG.com probably get's 0 visitors to the site from China.
    Patch Notes
    - Added Dungeons & Dragons Online as a Closed Alpha.
    - Removed Mourning for obvious reasons.
    - Moved Xiah and Thang from Open Beta to Free game. (Why do I have free games and things that are Closed Beta on an Open Beta list?  I have closed beta's on here so people can takes a quick glance at big open beta's that will be upcoming. I have free games on here just cause sometimes people want to play free mmo's, and to spice up and otherwise feeble, at the moment atleast, game list.)
    -March 28 7:32 PM
    General News
    - Nothing new lately, I havn't really seen any significant (at least in my opinion) games to add to the list. Most of the games I havn't put on the list, I would call much below average, probably even much below crappy. REMEMBER if there's a game you want to see on the list just send mail to hyoukan on mmorpg.com mail.
    - Secondly, I'm going to be adding decent player previews/reviews, just post something if you want it added.
    -March 18 10:06 PM

Patch Notes
    -Removed "Matrix Online", "Risk Your Life", and "Fairy Land", it's over.
    -Added "Kingdoms of War", "Shot Online", and "Ray Crash".
    -March 1 2:16 AM

At 12 PM PST today (march 1) open beta keys will be given away at fileplanet.com . This is on a first come first serve basis.

-Feb 27 5:22 AM

Added Storm Riders Online and Gate to Heavens, a little late, but enjoy!
    Also did some thread structure work. Bedtime finally 7:03 AM, stayed up too late
    Sleep well,
    Hyoukan
    P.S. There are some pretty decent Asian (Taiwan, Japan, Korea based) only betas that I can get a hold of if anyone is interested, they are pretty complicated to get signed up to, I'll have to see if there's any problems with adding them some do, alot dont. RO2 soon :), I say Korean closed beta summer 2005.

III. How to Join/What is?

1. What is an open beta?
    Basically an open beta is a beta test for the public to join.
    2. Why beta test?
    A beta gives both the players, and the company something. The player gets a chance to play and try out a game before it is release. The company get's free testers to find bugs and give feedback.
    3. What should I know?
    There are two VERY important things you should know. First is some require you to be 18, why? The answer to that leads me to the second reason. Some open betas require that you not release any information about your beta testing experience till they give the ok. And for that you have to sign a contract requiring you to be 18.
    4. How do I join?
    (Some of you will think this is a stupid question, but some people havn't beta tested before, let alone played a computer game.) Basically on the game's website there should be a button on the sides or top that says "Beta", "Join", "Application" or something along those lines, you go there then just fill out the application, I STRONGLY suggest reading the EULA if they have one, although for vet gamers, you probably dont have to because by now you should get the just of it.
    (Still in progress...)
  • catticatti Member Posts: 1

I just joined mmorpg.com so I don't have rank enough to post in the rose online user whatever thing, so I'll post it here: Although every place that mentions ROSE online on this website gives the credit to Gravity Corp, they are NOT the creators of rose. They produced it, but the game is made by a company called Triggersoft. ^_^

• vapoovapoo Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by catti

I just joined mmorpg.com so I don't have rank enough to post in the rose online user whatever thing, so I'll post it here: Although every place that mentions ROSE online on this website gives the credit to Gravity Corp, they are NOT the creators of rose. They produced it, but the game is made by a company called Triggersoft. ^_^

so...??   I don't need to know who produced game, it's not important. If I like game I'll gonna play it no matteer who made it.... image

• AzikAzik Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by vapoo

Originally posted by catti

so...??   I don't need to know who produced game, it's not important. If I like game I'll gonna play it no matteer who made it.... image

WHOOSH!!!

That one went right over his head.  image

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

LINK for current beta sign-ups, open betas and upcoming betas in dev...

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

there is not any open beta for dark & light and mourning, at least i could not find it all were closed betas
    i think those games should not be put into a open beta list

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

I've been in the Matrix Online beta for a month now (d/l from fileplanet).  While its been fun trying out out, it will be buggy on release.  I've submitted over a 3 dozen bug reports and less than half have been fixed.  So it looks like we'll have another game pushed out the door before its ready.  I was considering buying it, but I'm not going to pay for another buggy game.

Its sad that there are so few companies that are willing to wait until a game is in good shape before releasing it.  They figure that because its an online game they can fix the rest of the problems after release with automated patches.  What they are really doing is making the users pay to play the final beta-test!

Originally posted by dadown

I've been in the Matrix Online beta for a month now (d/l from fileplanet).  While its been fun trying out out, it will be buggy on release.  I've submitted over a 3 dozen bug reports and less than half have been fixed.  So it looks like we'll have another game pushed out the door before its ready.  I was considering buying it, but I'm not going to pay for another buggy game.
    Its sad that there are so few companies that are willing to wait until a game is in good shape before releasing it.  They figure that because its an online game they can fix the rest of the problems after release with automated patches.  What they are really doing is making the users pay to play the final beta-test!

I totally agree with you on this. On the other hand if you check the monthly BIG-patch's notes you can see that they do a substantial amount of bug-related work, which I'm moderately impressed with. Even so, it WILL be a buggy release, I'm even thinking along the lines of Anarchy Online's release, but I do think MxO will end up being a pretty decent game in the long run. Either way only time will tell.

Bumping cause mmorpg.com wont sticky, also updating the list tonight.

No I'm not looking for a sticky lol, but as this is primarily a list and not discussion, I want to keep it atleast on the front page so people will be able to find what they are looking for. So around the time this post hits halfway through the second page I may send a bump to it.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

I tried Face of mankind and was rather disapointed with it.  First, there is no protection for new players.  I was killed twice from behind while browsing at a terminal in the first hour of play while still trying to figure out how things work.  Second, its a zero-sum economy where the only way to earn money is by doing faction missions or selling items to other players and most activities are taxed by the local faction.  This makes it hard for crafters as each step of mining, refining and producing products cost significant amounts of money.  Third, there is no leveling or advancement of skills, just fighting for control of territory and accumulation of money and items.

If you loose your weapon and run out of cash, you are SOL unless someone will lend you money as you can't earn money unless you have money!  The answer is to delete your character and start over.  There is also perma-death if your character dies without having purchased a clone.  Some people have a second account to start a new character every day just for the money you are given as a new character!!

• paganbloodpaganblood Member Posts: 7

Was wondering if the site has or is gona start a beta newsletter of sum sort ?

i love to beta test games my self but you can never find a alpha test toget your teath in too,

thankies

Originally posted by paganblood

Was wondering if the site has or is gona start a beta newsletter of sum sort ?
    i love to beta test games my self but you can never find a alpha test toget your teath in too,

thankies

There already are a couple sites that have some newsletter's, can't think of any off the top of my head but you might wanna try http://www.betawatcher.com/. It's a pretty good beta site, was going down hill for a while but, seems to be working a little better now. A couple games on their site are listed as beta, like WoW was for a good 3 or 4 months after release.

• paganbloodpaganblood Member Posts: 7

thanks for the reply ill go checkit out now

again

thank you

• xhuixhui Member Posts: 10

nvm

Originally posted by paganblood

thanks for the reply ill go checkit out now
    again
    thank you

np
  • anastolanastol Member Posts: 6

and what abouth this news:

"Tremendous Turnout for World of Warcraft Pre-orders in China! - Sun on 4/11/05

The World of Warcraft all-access open beta test, set to begin on April 29, was announced in China earlier today. The game is scheduled for release in China later this year..."

copy&paste from this article:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView...howArticle/2905

• cootsycootsy Member Posts: 10

You havent got Superme Destiny there :)

here is the link
    http://www.supremedestiny.com.my/

Im going to try it out now currently downloading it :).

• redscouseredscouse Member Posts: 14
    Hi..this is my first post and I'm lookin' for a beta, any suggestions please.How do I know when beta's become available?
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by cootsy
    You havent got Superme Destiny there :) (...)

The "mmorpg:s" from e-games are ALL poor Diablo-clones (warrior, mage/healer, archer/thief) that also have "buy better ingame items for real money"-option.

[Edit: its says open beta in faq & not on the rest of site so I was wrong ::::21:: ]

Originally posted by redscouse
    Hi..this is my first post and I'm lookin' for a beta, any suggestions please.How do I know when beta's become available?

Big MMORPG Open Beta releases will probably on the MMORPG.com news a day or so before I have it. For smallers Open Beta releases you can check my news. As for Open Beta sugestions, R.O.S.E. seemed the best out of the current Open Beta selection. Just look around at the different sites and see what you like.

here is the link
    http://www.supremedestiny.com.my/
    Im going to try it out now currently downloading it :).

Adding that to the list. I'll credit you in the description, news, or both. Thanks!
    Try out supreme destiny or wait for heroes journey they would be the two i would try out.
  • redscouseredscouse Member Posts: 14

Thanks Hyoukan....I've applied for DnL....screenies look the business...

Originally posted by Hyoukan
    here is the link http://www.supremedestiny.com.my/
    Im going to try it out now currently downloading it :).Adding that to the list. I'll credit you in the description, news, or both. Thanks!

Thnx :P

well i havent played it much but i enjoy it apart from the constant downtime of the site and server.
    But i realised its at the same time everynight :).