Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have 3 questions for EVE players(Thinking of purchasing)

2»

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

1.If I download the eve demo and level up, can I continue my trial character after I purchase the retail version?

Yes 

2.I see eve now has a character creator. I saw a guy walking around his ship.

My question is ....Do they have space ports, hubs or any place that I can walk around with my character outside of my ship and see other players to interact with?

No

3.Since im starting new will it take me years to catch up to other players?

Depends what you mean with "catch up".

Skill-wise? Yes, if you specialize you can be "usefull" to corps in around 2-3 months.

Wealth wise? Never

You will always be behind other players that played for longer (or been subbed for longer), thats how the game works.

There is no "cap" so there is no literal "catching up".

That's actually not true.  You'll never catch up skillwise, but yes, you can be viable in a very short time.  But like others pointed out, more doesn't always mean better.

Its exactly what i said.

Weath wise?  Playing longer, whether that be measured in hours per day or the age of your account, has zero bearing on the amount of money you can make.  At no point do you need to have played for X amount of years to be able to monopolize on the market.  Not even being able to run higher level missions guarantees you more money, when you could easily lose a large chunk of your ISK replacing something you lost.

Then you've got plex trading.  Anyone willing to buy a timecard can sell it on the market and make a handful of ISK with no effort. 

A better understanding of economics and the market will make you more money then someone who's played longer then you. 

I know at least one guy who's put considerably more time into EVE that has much less wealth then I do, but then I've never given over a billion ISK plus all of my personal assets to anyone in order to join a corp.   I get the funniest mail in EVE sometimes.  

There are always exceptions.

In -general- however the players that play longer are more "powerful" than new players.

A "catching up" like in WoW will never be possible in EVE, im just making this very clear to the OP who might not know this.

If he expects to be competitive at just about anything he is looking at a long road ahead of him, especially in the non-combat parts of the game. Researching, manufacturing, it all takes time...long stretches of time where your sub ticks away.

Especially as a new player the options what to do in the meantime are extremely limited. If a long time crafter hits an impass he can probably fall back on secondary/tertiary specializations. If a new player hits an impass, he is screwed or needs to grind his way back up in his specialization.

That illustration of the EVEs learning curve is there for a reason. If you fall of the cliff as a new player, well...good luck.

Wealth is not just measured by the amount by ISK on your account, or items and ships in your hangar.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia
    Originally posted by Malcanis

PS A good analogy would be to imagine an ordinary fantasy MMO that allowed an unlimited number of alts per account, and rated your account on the total number of xp or levels all the characters had on it. So a 5 year player might have a level 80 Paladin, Necromancer, Shaman, Assassin, etc etc - let's say he has 800 levels. A 6 month player might have maybe a level 80 Paladon and he's working on his level 10 Shaman. He only has 90 levels.

But the newbie "level 90" guy's Paladin is just as good as the "level 800" guy's Paladin.

yeah I know how it works. AS a gallante blaster nut my favorite ship for solo pvp is a buffer tanked cloaky blaster proteus. I have level 5 in every skill the proteus uses including the ship itself (never died in it its unbeatable if flown right), implants boosters, guns. Now been a while since I played but if I remember correctly itd take at least a year to get to where I am with proteus? In comparison I could get max level in wow and a full set of best gear in no time at all.

Max level, maybe, full set of top tier gear as well...? Yeah that might take a little longer, hey?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

PS A good analogy would be to imagine an ordinary fantasy MMO that allowed an unlimited number of alts per account, and rated your account on the total number of xp or levels all the characters had on it. So a 5 year player might have a level 80 Paladin, Necromancer, Shaman, Assassin, etc etc - let's say he has 800 levels. A 6 month player might have maybe a level 80 Paladon and he's working on his level 10 Shaman. He only has 90 levels.   But the newbie "level 90" guy's Paladin is just as good as the "level 800" guy's Paladin.

yeah I know how it works. AS a gallante blaster nut my favorite ship for solo pvp is a buffer tanked cloaky blaster proteus. I have level 5 in every skill the proteus uses including the ship itself (never died in it its unbeatable if flown right), implants boosters, guns. Now been a while since I played but if I remember correctly itd take at least a year to get to where I am with proteus? In comparison I could get max level in wow and a full set of best gear in no time at all.

Max level, maybe, full set of top tier gear as well...? Yeah that might take a little longer, hey?

Nope not really. Top tier is a hell of a lot easier to get time wise than say top tier in EvE which would be officer loot, Max level is possible in less than a week pling, a month casual leveling. No comparison at all.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

1.If I download the eve demo and level up, can I continue my trial character after I purchase the retail version?

Yes 

My question is ....Do they have space ports, hubs or any place that I can walk around with my character outside of my ship and see other players to interact with?

No

Skill-wise? Yes, if you specialize you can be "usefull" to corps in around 2-3 months.

Wealth wise? Never

You will always be behind other players that played for longer (or been subbed for longer), thats how the game works.

That's actually not true.  You'll never catch up skillwise, but yes, you can be viable in a very short time.  But like others pointed out, more doesn't always mean better.

Its exactly what i said.

Weath wise?  Playing longer, whether that be measured in hours per day or the age of your account, has zero bearing on the amount of money you can make.  At no point do you need to have played for X amount of years to be able to monopolize on the market.  Not even being able to run higher level missions guarantees you more money, when you could easily lose a large chunk of your ISK replacing something you lost.

Then you've got plex trading.  Anyone willing to buy a timecard can sell it on the market and make a handful of ISK with no effort. 

A better understanding of economics and the market will make you more money then someone who's played longer then you. 

I know at least one guy who's put considerably more time into EVE that has much less wealth then I do, but then I've never given over a billion ISK plus all of my personal assets to anyone in order to join a corp.   I get the funniest mail in EVE sometimes.  

In -general- however the players that play longer are more "powerful" than new players.

A "catching up" like in WoW will never be possible in EVE, im just making this very clear to the OP who might not know this.

If he expects to be competitive at just about anything he is looking at a long road ahead of him, especially in the non-combat parts of the game. Researching, manufacturing, it all takes time...long stretches of time where your sub ticks away.

Especially as a new player the options what to do in the meantime are extremely limited. If a long time crafter hits an impass he can probably fall back on secondary/tertiary specializations. If a new player hits an impass, he is screwed or needs to grind his way back up in his specialization.

That illustration of the EVEs learning curve is there for a reason. If you fall of the cliff as a new player, well...good luck.

Wealth is not just measured by the amount by ISK on your account, or items and ships in your hangar.

I have to disagree, only because as a manufacturer I know that someone with only industry 1 isn't at that big a disadvantage, because knowing your market, and understanding trends is more important then having lots of skill points.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

PS A good analogy would be to imagine an ordinary fantasy MMO that allowed an unlimited number of alts per account, and rated your account on the total number of xp or levels all the characters had on it. So a 5 year player might have a level 80 Paladin, Necromancer, Shaman, Assassin, etc etc - let's say he has 800 levels. A 6 month player might have maybe a level 80 Paladon and he's working on his level 10 Shaman. He only has 90 levels.

But the newbie "level 90" guy's Paladin is just as good as the "level 800" guy's Paladin.

Nope not really. Top tier is a hell of a lot easier to get time wise than say top tier in EvE which would be officer loot, Max level is possible in less than a week pling, a month casual leveling. No comparison at all.

Actually in EvE you can just buy the char you want with ISK(which you get from GTCs), officer loot included.

Char: 4 Billion

Gear and ship: 10 Billion

The look on his face when he realises that this means nothing in the face of 5 friends and their t1 ships: Priceless

Would be funny though if the guys who destroy his ship would be among those that bought GTCs from him, i bet stranger things have happened in EvE :D.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Yes 

No

Wealth wise? Never

Its exactly what i said.

I have to disagree, only because as a manufacturer I know that someone with only industry 1 isn't at that big a disadvantage, because knowing your market, and understanding trends is more important then having lots of skill points.

You didnt understand a word of what i said.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Yes 

No

Wealth wise? Never

Its exactly what i said.

You didnt understand a word of what i said.

I would venture to say that the value of "catching up" is severely being overestimated as no really tries to be competitive in "everything" as the point of the game is to specialize and be good at what YOU like doing in the game.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

Actually in EvE you can just buy the char you want with ISK(which you get from GTCs), officer loot included.

Char: 4 Billion

Gear and ship: 10 Billion

The look on his face when he realises that this means nothing in the face of 5 friends and their t1 ships: Priceless

Would be funny though if the guys who destroy his ship would be among those that bought GTCs from him, i bet stranger things have happened in EvE :D.

This is true.  And can be done completely legally too.  Pretty terrible considering it was the harshest toughest game on the market for years after it was released.

Originally posted by Calfis - I would venture to say that the value of "catching up" is severely being overestimated as no really tries to be competitive in "everything" as the point of the game is to specialize and be good at what YOU like doing in the game.

While thats true some specializations require massive amounts of training.  Comparatively its somewhat like saying to a WoW player they have to stay level 19 and own in L19 BG's, or only play Alterac Valley or be happy with only doing tradeskills. 

The next argument is equally absurd, "you don't need to be awesome, you can be totally crap, spend all your time following the big boys around and be an expendable tackler!", "But I wanna fly a Mothership...", "oh well, yeah in 2 years time".

The best one is "oh don't worry, if you 10 vs 1 a vet you'll win anyway, you don't need skills, skillpoints or fancy ships".  Well unless he's in a MS that's true otherwise its 20 vs 1 :)

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Calfis - I would venture to say that the value of "catching up" is severely being overestimated as no really tries to be competitive in "everything" as the point of the game is to specialize and be good at what YOU like doing in the game.

While thats true some specializations require massive amounts of training.  Comparatively its somewhat like saying to a WoW player they have to stay level 19 and own in L19 BG's, or only play Alterac Valley or be happy with only doing tradeskills. 

The next argument is equally absurd, "you don't need to be awesome, you can be totally crap, spend all your time following the big boys around and be an expendable tackler!", "But I wanna fly a Mothership...", "oh well, yeah in 2 years time".

The best one is "oh don't worry, if you 10 vs 1 a vet you'll win anyway, you don't need skills, skillpoints or fancy ships".  Well unless he's in a MS that's true otherwise its 20 vs 1 :)

The WOW comparison is never valid because there is a conceivable cap in WOW. It only makes sense to "catch up" and think in terms of a cap if the game itself centers on that cap like WOW. EVE isn't centered on a level cap and it never will be and that is a good thing. I started in 2010 and I can still get a mothership and fly around will big boys who started in 2006. I can achieve all the end game stuff that they can even if they do have x amount more skillpoints.

In fact I would venture to say that my 2010 nullsec character is better than many 2006 characters that did nothing but play safe in high sec for 6 years. I've fucked with carebear characters that have had years on me and they couldn't do shit to me once they googled my killboard and decided it wasn't worth messing with a newer character that had hundreds more player kills than they ever had. Its not about levels/skillpoints in EVE its always been about the player. I may have 30 million skillpoints but I dont see any reason to envy the 60 million skillpoint player sitting in EVE University. The way I see it I have already surpassed him by being a member of -A-.