Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet taking your money before cash shop is done.

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

This whole cash shop thing is nonsense. Preferred they have gone with subscription fees rather than a cash shop.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by RelytDnegel

I'll be buying gw2 although I am weary of what may be in that shop later down the track and still unsure about what we know to be in there now. I have played p2w games before and well if I believe they cross the line they may already have my money but I'll never buy an Anet game again. They haven't proved to be shady just yet but we will see.

+1

I'm with you on that. The only real danger is the potential abuses. I trust Anet but not Ncsoft. And just last week there was an uproar because NCsoft east put in a "boss" drop weapon in the cash shop. We as a community need to get out the pitchforks over things like this. Cause when we don't, they will only take the nexxt step.

When have gamers ever acted as a community? Do you really believe that there will be a point where gamers will act outside of their immediate desires and even more of a stretch toward principles that they don't even share? Laughable...

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Yamota

This whole cash shop thing is nonsense. Preferred they have gone with subscription fees rather than a cash shop.

+1

They would get less profits though ;>

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by PieRad

If you are agaisnt P2W, then you were never their target anyway, they got your money already before the shop is done, before NDA is lifted, even before a release date, since there will be no revenue from sub, you won't be paying anymore.

After the box you have no value to them, only the cash shoppers will be of interest to Anet, and those who love cash shop won't complain when they add a even more obvious P2W scheme, right now their hiding it behind gems, that doesn't make it any less P2W.

There is a very good reason why they haven't finished the shop yet, they want your money before you know what's gonna be in the shop, because those who dislike 'advantage for money', wouldn't have bothered buying the box if they knew what was gonna be in it.

This way they get money from both sides.

That was a good laugh, thanks man!

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by MikkelB

and don't forget, pay to win has been in every game since gold sellers began.

I don't agree. Goldselling hasn't set me back in WoW for example. Sure, the people spending cash for gold could buy some items for sums of gold I did not possess, but with enough time, I could buy them too.

which is identical to what is being offered in GW2, time. In fact, the greatest advantage the game is offering right now is the 3 day head start.

It's also why the current cashshop isn't pay to win. Even the 'boss drop weapon' you mentioned in a later post doesn't worry me much. The only thing I fear is when ArenaNet puts things in the cashshop that give an unfair advantage over players that don't use the cashshop. As of now I've seen no evidence that ArenaNet is planning that, on the contrary, it contradicts their manifisto.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by Yamota

the whole sub thing is bs  making you pay  every month or never get acess

rather then GW2's buy little tinkets that dont make a lick of diffrence they put up to get some extra revenue fro m peopel who want things faster.

subs are a scam

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Thane

and why again do you bother about MY money again? ^^

Because it affects the REST of us. Stop thinking so self centered please.

@OP, good write-up :)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

[sarcasm]

Hey guys and gals, i realised one thing!!!!

Here is that Hall of Monuments stuff... Actually if you play GW and collect things you will have prizes in GW2 and some of them have AN ADVANTAGE over other players. So in theory, the players who have bought and played GW1 will have DIRECT ADVANTAGE over those who didnt.

So conclusion is: Anet if FORCING you to buy and play GW in order to be competitive.

Way to rip me of my money. Bad Anet, bad!!

[/sarcasm]

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by PieRad

If you are agaisnt P2W, then you were never their target anyway, they got your money already before the shop is done, before NDA is lifted, even before a release date, since there will be no revenue from sub, you won't be paying anymore.

After the box you have no value to them, only the cash shoppers will be of interest to Anet, and those who love cash shop won't complain when they add a even more obvious P2W scheme, right now their hiding it behind gems, that doesn't make it any less P2W.

There is a very good reason why they haven't finished the shop yet, they want your money before you know what's gonna be in the shop, because those who dislike 'advantage for money', wouldn't have bothered buying the box if they knew what was gonna be in it.

This way they get money from both sides.

1) They didn't take my money, I gave it to them.

2) If this were another company this may have been seen as an intelligent warning. The thing is... this is Anet, they have a good rep for keeping there word. The have a good rep for delivering on their promises. There has been nothing indicating that I should be wary of Anet.

I can sit here and heed the warnings of some random poster on the internet that comes off as a troll with his  "worried about what might be" thread or I can take a chance in trusting a company that has given me every reason to trust them in the past.

Tough choice here.......................

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

I like Anet and I don't doubt them. NCsoft however isn't that trustworthy, but then again, most of the old big companies aren't trustworthy anymore.

Still pre-purchased.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by pierth

I'll be buying gw2 although I am weary of what may be in that shop later down the track and still unsure about what we know to be in there now. I have played p2w games before and well if I believe they cross the line they may already have my money but I'll never buy an Anet game again. They haven't proved to be shady just yet but we will see.

+1

I'm with you on that. The only real danger is the potential abuses. I trust Anet but not Ncsoft. And just last week there was an uproar because NCsoft east put in a "boss" drop weapon in the cash shop. We as a community need to get out the pitchforks over things like this. Cause when we don't, they will only take the nexxt step.

When have gamers ever acted as a community? Do you really believe that there will be a point where gamers will act outside of their immediate desires and even more of a stretch toward principles that they don't even share? Laughable...

EA and BW might disagree with you on that one. I'm sure they will love to send you a cupcake.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

I don't understand these complains about cash shop. In Guild Wars cash shop didn't give you any adventage, I don't see any reason why they'd change it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Game could be terrible but here's the kicker, and it's the same reason I don't feel angry over how bad Darkfall and Mortal are.. they are TRYING to do something different. That alone makes it worth buying. Which is why I have bought it! At this point, the game being good is just a bonus.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

At least they sent me an email thanking me for letting them take my money before the cash shop is done.

Originally posted by pierth

+1

EA and BW might disagree with you on that one. I'm sure they will love to send you a cupcake.

Oh, I see, so have either of them bolted the doors and closed up shop, have they both agreed that the way business was done was awful and promised to start anew, or are they just going to do whatever makes money and continue on as if nothing ever happened? The cupcake display is meaningless as it doesn't stop anyone from buying their games.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Is this never going to end?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This whinning is getting to the point, where I don't think Anet can do any right to some of these people. The saddest thing is some of these posters are grilling Anet for almost nothing, yet their post history shows them posting support in one of the threads for a game made by a company with an actual history of screwing over their players. Kinda funny, in a very sad sorta way.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

i can't wait to buy everything off the cash shop

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    I swear half the people on this forum are completely brain dead
  • alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

all i have to say to all the GW2 haters is take a look at this link before you open your mouth next time

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

Thanks for the economical advice buddy, no idea where I would be without ya!

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Cammy

I swear half the people on this forum are completely brain dead

I like your optimism

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by aesperus

This whinning is getting to the point, where I don't think Anet can do any right to some of these people. The saddest thing is some of these posters are grilling Anet for almost nothing, yet their post history shows them posting support in one of the threads for a game made by a company with an actual history of screwing over their players. Kinda funny, in a very sad sorta way.

Agreed, particularly those that insist that all forms of cash Shop are P2W

Oh, you mean like NCSoft, oh... wait...

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

This topic again, really?...

League of Legends, a F2P MOBA, had 32 million people playing it 4 months ago... I'm going to guess its closer to 40 million by now. League of Legends has a cash shop, where you buy Champions, Skins and Boosts to increase XP or IP gain per match, but you never have to invest any money into it if you dont want to, yet I'd wager a majority of those 40 million people at least buy a champion or two with real money, I don't see people calling that game Pay 2 Win.

So.... how is GW2 pay to win again? Oh... right, the XP boosts.

Because we all know how important levels in GW2 are, and how reaching level 80 before other people is paramount to being succesful. /sarcasm  d-_-b

By that logic, Anyone deciding to start playing any mmo already released is at a disadvantage.

/facepalm

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

This discussion has been closed.