Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character names...

Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

So I just preordered and received the following email:

-----

Congratulations on successfully completing the registration process for Guild Wars 2!

The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link.

Your Guild Wars 2 User ID is:

*****edit*****.8761

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.

-----

The last paragraph concerns me.  I'll be frank and admit that I am the type of player who gets his jollies from having an awesome and relatively sought-after name.  In Guild Wars 1, I have ownership of several names that I cherish.  One, for example, is "P K".  I was looking forward to carrying this forward to Guild Wars 2.  Does this mean that there will 50 other people with names like P K.1598, P K.6157, etc. running around in-game?

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm pretty sure that has to do with your account information on the forums and nothing to do with your in game name.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

So then account names are visible in-game?

Otherwise, the final sentence of the email makes no sense.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

would be really suprised if this were the truth....my user ID is partial english, partial not and partial something else, making it quite unique of this reason....and had a .9014 - never seen this user name taken ever, in any game or otherwise taken

edit: actually if you read your mail it says....This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Impulse47

I see what you're saying.

Perhaps for the beta they are allowing everyone to choose whatever names they want and then adding some digits on the end. 

For instance, if Totalbiscuit couldn't get his name, they wanted him to be able to do so.

It does seem odd. I certainly didn't see any of that in the BETA videos thus far.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

They are. There's a system in place like RealID.

• greenie224greenie224 Member Posts: 37

What I got from reading this is that this goes for your account name which is also your forum name, not your ingame name.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"-Voltaire

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Your account name is your email address.  The last question with the .#### is just your ingame handle.  Also you can freely change it by logging onto the beta forums right now and change it.  I done it during the press beta and it changes ingame also.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by star

They are. There's a system in place like RealID.

Damn.  That is one of many things I hate about Diablo 3.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Edited for clarity:

The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.  

Yeah I can't imagine they will use account names in game. . If they mean in game character names then I can imagine:  Drizzt.0001  Drizzt.002  Legolas.0001 etc. etc. etc.  I truly hope this is not the case.  Mind you, you just end up with. . Drzzzzt, Dryzzt, Driizzt, Legolus, Legulos etc. etc.

Not sure there is much of a difference.  If they mean due to World V. World then that makes sense.  ie.  Someone on server one is Drizzy and someone on Server 2 is Drizzy so they get the tags.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.  

Yeah I can't imagine they will use account names. . I can imagine:  Drizzt.0001  Drizzt.002  Legolas.0001 etc. etc. etc.  I truly hope this is not the case.  Mind you, you just end up with. . Drzzzzt, Dryzzt, Driizzt, Legolus, Legulos etc. etc.

Not sure there is much of a difference.

The difference is only one person gets the -actual- name under the usual system.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

-----

Congratulations on successfully completing the registration process for Guild Wars 2!

The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link.

*****edit*****.8761

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.

-----

The last paragraph concerns me.  I'll be frank and admit that I am the type of player who gets his jollies from having an awesome and relatively sought-after name.  In Guild Wars 1, I have ownership of several names that I cherish.  One, for example, is "P K".  I was looking forward to carrying this forward to Guild Wars 2.  Does this mean that there will 50 other people with names like P K.1598, P K.6157, etc. running around in-game?

I think you should have read the box where you entered in your nickname which is what you have ***'d out. So you have an account name which isnt shown to others then you have your character name which ppl can see out in the world and then you have your nickname which is your forum name, party name and friendslist name(this is a tad iffy but this is the gist of it). The char name is unique I believe its been said world wide but thats iffy. Ok so say my char jim bob grps up with your bobby sue in party I see your ****edit*** and then we invite a char names hello kitty and they ALSO use the nickname ****edit*** THEN you will both get the numbers after your name. These will most likely always show up on the forums but that is all speculation.

summed up 3 names... account name(private), nickname(public can be shared with others but you get the numbers) and character name.. unique.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

-----

*****edit*****.8761

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums.

-----

To all those saying it is not your in game name, read the highlighted text.

That message definately states that if your name is the same as another players, the four-digit code will show in game.

Seem's a bit silly to me, what is wrong with the system used previously, as in, if the name is taken, it is taken, you have to come up with another unique one?

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

-----

*****edit*****.8761

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums.

-----

To all those saying it is not your in game name, read the highlighted text.

That message definately states that if your name is the same as another players, the four-digit code will show in game.

Seem's a bit silly to me, what is wrong with the system used previously, as in, if the name is taken, it is taken, you have to come up with another unique one?

You missed my realid post. It's used for adding friends and chatting in whispers, like mine is zaryi, so if I was to chat with another zaryi it'd be

zaryi.001:zaharyia assad: blahblabhal

zaryi.002:freyja hothgar: blerblerbler

I has nothing to do with your characters name.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

-----

*****edit*****.8761

-----

Yes if someone else picks the same name in game then you will both have random numbers behind them, however it would be very rare for someone to choose the same first and last name so start thinking of a good one.

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Yeah I can't imagine they will use account names. . I can imagine:  Drizzt.0001  Drizzt.002  Legolas.0001 etc. etc. etc.  I truly hope this is not the case.  Mind you, you just end up with. . Drzzzzt, Dryzzt, Driizzt, Legolus, Legulos etc. etc.

Not sure there is much of a difference.

its NOT your account name you choose a nickname and that is what he is spazzing about

• tomfabiotomfabio Member UncommonPosts: 25

It obviously does not mean your ingame name. Why would they have you choose your characters name before even creating it? As said above, it is simply the account display name. Although I do think Anet should clarify on that, the paragraph is a little misleading.

Originally posted by tomfabio

It obviously does not mean your ingame name. Why would they have you choose your characters name before even creating it? As said above, it is simply the account display name. Although I do think Anet should clarify on that, the paragraph is a little misleading.

the paragraph next to were you choose this name is VERY clear. THe OP was probably just in a hurry to make his purchase.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

As I understand it; if you have your Guild Wars account registered and an active Hall of Momuments your charector name is reserved so that only it can only be used by a Guild Wars 2 account that is linked to your Guild Wars account can use it.

So I am very concerned as to why the four didgit code is there for "reserved" names.  Does that mean that someone else may have the same name that we were promised would be reserved for us?

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Might be for friendslist only, hopefully. There was a pic from the beta that had Dev name - Char name on the friends list. Otherwise it would just be plain ugly to see name.2948 running around.

Originally posted by kzaske

As I understand it; if you have your Guild Wars account registered and an active Hall of Momuments your charector name is reserved so that only it can only be used by a Guild Wars 2 account that is linked to your Guild Wars account can use it.

So I am very concerned as to why the four didgit code is there for "reserved" names.  Does that mean that someone else may have the same name that we were promised would be reserved for us?

read my posts! the name with the numbers are your DISPLAY or NICKNAME this is for the forums and sorta like WoW's realID the numbers only show up if two ppl that chose the same display name are on the same server.. so like I name myself fred and so do you.. I may show up as fred.4444 and you fred.5555 if we are on the same server at once. The details are fuzzy but that sums it up.

to clarify more... 3 names involved. account name (w/e@ ncsoft), char name (ziggy the righteous) and display name (fred.5555)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Pretty sure I remember seeing that numbers and symbols would not be allowed as part of character names, don't see why they'd circumvent their own system.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by kzaske

read my posts! the name with the numbers are your DISPLAY or NICKNAME this is for the forums and sorta like WoW's realID the numbers only show up if two ppl that chose the same display name are on the same server.. so like I name myself fred and so do you.. I may show up as fred.4444 and you fred.5555 if we are on the same server at once. The details are fuzzy but that sums it up.

to clarify more... 3 names involved. account name (w/e@ ncsoft), char name (ziggy the righteous) and display name (fred.5555)

I think we've both posted this same explanation like 3 times now. People are thick :|

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Pretty sure I remember seeing that numbers and symbols would not be allowed as part of character names, don't see why they'd circumvent their own system.

no numbers? no symbols?

if they do this, i'm going to send anet ALL my money! every cent!

Originally posted by headphones

no numbers? no symbols?

haha I know! but I think for char names and def for display names there are no symbols or numbers BUT the 4 numbers will show up if you log into a server where someone has the same display name.

@Star... I actually counted before you posted this... its like COME ON its a 2 page thread!!! Stop panicing and read!

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by headphones

no numbers? no symbols?

haha I know! but I think for char names and def for display names there are no symbols or numbers BUT the 4 numbers will show up if you log into a server where someone has the same display name.

@Star... I actually counted before you posted this... its like COME ON its a 2 page thread!!! Stop panicing and read!

yah, but the display name thing. wow. so cool. too cool for words, actually.

every day. every single day, gw2 comes up with something else that makes my jaw drop and i go: see? this is why i wanna give these guys my money. what's left of it.