Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by Cammy

Here is why people are annoyed:

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60 = £37. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

In the UK a normal PC game, or other MMO costs £35 - £40.

Also, you can buy GW2 from play.com for £39.99 = $63, which is a fair price equivilant to the US price. Why are ANet charging more than retailers?

But yet... when I went to the UK last a CD cost me 3X more than it does (in general) when Im in the U.S

So.... should I go rage out at their local HMV because it's too much money? Only for them to basically laugh and tell me "if I don't want to buy it, then don't buy it".

It's really that simple... if your going to bitch and moan about a few bucks on a video game, you probably should just stop playing video games. Pick up reading - books are way cheaper.

If they were charging $99 for the game or something I could understand the outrage but this is the same cost that EVERY SINGLE AAA title costs on the Xbox/PS3, etc. So, why is GW2 the bad guys? Because they want to make a profit?

Seriously, people are just getting more and more spoiled by the day....

You still buy CD's? Wow, move into the 21st century. 

What im trying to get at, is would you be happy if you had to pay $80 for GW2, because thats the equivilant price ANet are charging us Europeans. 

This was 15 years ago.... /shrug

Sorry that I didn't give a life story with my post - it was meant to be used as an example. I realize half the people on this forum weren't alive then, but the rest of us should get the general idea.

And if they charged me $80 American, I would do one of two things.... I would either determine it was worth the investment and buy it, or I would determine it's too much for a video game and I'd pass. What I WOULDNT do is I wouldn't run to the forums which seems to be everyone's personal soap box these days, then proceed to bitch and whine about something costing a little extra money, especially if all games in the UK cost the same amount.

OK, but if you then found out that other people were getting it for $60 and you had to pay $80 wouldnt you be pissed off?

No... not really. What other people do/don't do really doesn't have any affect on me what so ever. I also understand that different countries = different pricing in some cases.

Hell - Im from Canada, so when I go to the states I get gas for WAY cheaper than I do here. Do I rage out because I have to pay more for the EXACT same product? I mean - gas is gas, regardless of which country I live right? Why do I have to pay more? That's the way it goes sometimes.... If someone thinks its too much money, then they absolutely shouldn't pay it. I come to this forum about once every 2 weeks now (mostly because of the whine - I can't handle it) and it seems every time I come there's another EXACT same post of "WAAAAA They are charging more than I want to pay QQ QQ QQ". Fuck - I'd like it for free? Can't I have that? If not - then Ill go make a new post once a week to show my displeasure.... you have to admit, it is pretty ridiculous.

P.S Thanks for having an actual conversation, it's a good topic of debate and I can understand why you are frustrated. Just try to see it from the rest of the world too :)

Well, looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree. I just dont think its fair that we are charged more in the EU/UK for the same product when it doesnt cost ANet any more to sell a digital download to EU/UK.

And dont get me started on gas prices. In the UK its currently average of £1.42($2.25) per litre!!!!!!

Have to agree with Straggen. The only way they would change their model is to make a significant impact in their profit by refusing to buy the game unless it's same price (at least for the digital editions).

Because there's no valid reason for something digital to cost more in EU than on the US. There's no packaging, no posting, no customs, nothing. And if they're even hosted in the same server for download, there's no extra server cost!!!!

This is nothing new to us Europeans, we're used to having to pay more for no apparent reason, but it's also our own fault for allowing this to go on. We complain, but we still put down the cash and buy the game. If there was a significant boycott to the sales they would probably rethink it. We (Europe) hold a considerable slice of the videogame consumer market... we just have to put our collective feet down and make them realize it.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

The cash shop, monthly fee (or lack of), and payment model are totally relevant.  Buzzword marketing spin titles like F2P and B2P aren't really relevant as well as your opinion of the quality because that's subjective.

"You get what you pay for" is also irrelevant and misleading, but also works against you.  By that logic WoW, RIFT, and TOR are all far superior to GW2 because there is a monthly fee attached to those games.

What is relevant is what they're charging for the game and how much it will cost in an ongoing basis.  If you think the cash shop is irrelevant then you're kidding yourself.  NCSoft has carefully calculated the potential revenue generation per customer, over time, and is calculating that they can make as much or more, per person, than a subscription or pure cash shop based game.  They're already ahead of the "no upfront cost" cash shop game because they're generating at least $60 to $150 or more from the get go plus any cash shop items sold within the anticipated revenue return period (after initial purchase).

So it really comes down to the fact that they have had an amazing advertising campaign selling the marketing concept of B2P.  They've convinced millions of people that putting $60+ dollars down, for nearly no hard return (eg: game cash / gems) on a "no monthly fee" cash shop game is a worthwhile investment.  No other F2P game publisher has pulled this off.  I hope to hell this doesn't become the new trend in "F2P" games.

If I buy the game, play it, enjoy it, and never use the cash shop, does that mean that I'm doing it wrong?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Seems everyone is up to screwing us in Europe, Diablo3's digital version is $60 or £45 ( $71) - shop around though and you can get it for £35. (normal price for a PC game in UK).

I think publishers do this cus they know people will pay the extra to "play now" and/or to guarantee day 1 access, but thats what we all are impatient fanbois and they're cashing in on it.

But yeah when I saw the £50 price tag this morning I knew I would not be pre-ordering - I'll wait and see if it's any good.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

I thought this thread was a joke.  However, it seems its not.

Ok, I'll be giving it a miss.

• SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41

The OPs signature content really tells you everything you need to know about his perspective.

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Stop being cheap....they are putting out a AAA game (compared to what else is out there) and your paying to play the game for life....without a sub.  Any other AAA game you buy, your doing the same thing no?....plus $15 every month (if its an MMO)

If you have any doubts as to whether the game is worth it to you.....dont pay for it.  Just about every new game I've purchased the past few years is $50+, I dont see whats so new about this. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by jackwu10

i feel like getting robbed each time i wanna play game on eu server..

cos everytime i wanna buy digital version, i always need to pay xxx euro..

FFS, i live in south africa, we dont earns as much as u guys do in EU, FFS

why do ppl like us need to play so much just to play in some servers far far away??

we should be only paying max 40euro for any game... they should come up with "rest of the world" version other than us/eu version.... fking hell.. 55euro... for digital dl...

Isn't it true that everyone outside the EU logs in to the US servers by default?

In other words, even if £39.99 for a game is 'expensive', which I don't honesty believe it is, you would be buying the US client anyhow so your problem isn't really with the EU.

On a side note, I guess SA dosen't have much of a gaming scene? They obviously don't sell a lot of product there, otherwise I guess you would get your own servers? Are there no South African retailers that will carry the game?

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Charlizzard

The cash shop, monthly fee (or lack of), and payment model are totally relevant.  Buzzword marketing spin titles like F2P and B2P aren't really relevant as well as your opinion of the quality because that's subjective.

"You get what you pay for" is also irrelevant and misleading, but also works against you.  By that logic WoW, RIFT, and TOR are all far superior to GW2 because there is a monthly fee attached to those games.

What is relevant is what they're charging for the game and how much it will cost in an ongoing basis.  If you think the cash shop is irrelevant then you're kidding yourself.  NCSoft has carefully calculated the potential revenue generation per customer, over time, and is calculating that they can make as much or more, per person, than a subscription or pure cash shop based game.  They're already ahead of the "no upfront cost" cash shop game because they're generating at least $60 to $150 or more from the get go plus any cash shop items sold within the anticipated revenue return period (after initial purchase).

So it really comes down to the fact that they have had an amazing advertising campaign selling the marketing concept of B2P.  They've convinced millions of people that putting $60+ dollars down, for nearly no hard return (eg: game cash / gems) on a "no monthly fee" cash shop game is a worthwhile investment.  No other F2P game publisher has pulled this off.  I hope to hell this doesn't become the new trend in "F2P" games.

If I buy the game, play it, enjoy it, and never use the cash shop, does that mean that I'm doing it wrong?

If I play a F2P game and never spend a dime, especially not $60 to $150 up front before even trying it, does that mean I did it right?

How can you be wrong playing a game you like.  If you think paying an up front fee for a F2P game makes sense to you then by all means send them as much money as you want.  Personally if I'm giving a F2P game $60 in cash I expect some game cash in return and not just access to their servers because I get that for.... wait for it.... free.

you sir are just as lacking in logic. gw2 is B2P, in the end any labeling is all semantics though as they are all simply GAMES. now first of all, all evidence atm points to the cash shop not being a required thing to be competative at all. its up to you to prove otherwise when you go around trying to convince other people it is otherwise. i have yet to see a single person do this.

no it is not free to play the company is the only person who can actualy decide to make it free to play (its a business model not a type of game design like say pay 2 be competative *win sounds better but is hard to define*). as for the game it looks to me like it has enough content to exceed most single player games that cost the same and it also happens to be a persistant world Co-operative mmo with 2 types of pvp gameplay.

to me that is a great deal and maybe you dont think it is, well thats fine THATS YOUR OPINION just like my thinking its a great deal is MY OPINION. in the end your post is just flamebait and misinformation as most if not all of the previous two posts i read that you made in this thread.

good day sir.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Charlizzard

If I play a F2P game and never spend a dime, especially not $60 to $150 up front before even trying it, does that mean I did it right?

How can you be wrong playing a game you like.  If you think paying an up front fee for a F2P game makes sense to you then by all means send them as much money as you want.  Personally if I'm giving a F2P game $60 in cash I expect some game cash in return and not just access to their servers because I get that for.... wait for it.... free.

So, having no experience playing this game, you have decided that what they are offering is not worth the $60. OK. But if it had a sub fee, like say, World of Warcraft, then it would be OK, even though for the last 8 months I haven't gotten anything from my subscription other than 5 months of Dragon Soul, and that's all I can expect for the next 3? I check my mailbox for free pets and mounts but I can only find the ones that Blizz is trying to sell me in their store.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

F2P downloads are that way  ------------>

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The price of this game is standard.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

People just HAVE to have SOMETHING to bitch about.  Pure and simple.  Nothing new to see here.  A game that is the same price as other games, both similar and in other genres, and someone whining and moaning on MMORPG.com forums.  Neither are new.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by colddog04

PC games do not typically sell for £50 in the UK.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by Valua

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

I guess that's all that needs to be said on this matter. You can wait for the usual discounts in retail after release, or just don't buy it at all. 

What?  Games have been $50-60 for a few years now.  In fact, I'm surprised they aren't higher as $50 was the prices for many more years than one would expect.  I spend $60 on one trip to a sushi joint.  I think the price is more than fair considering there are no sub fees.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by Valua

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

I guess that's all that needs to be said on this matter. You can wait for the usual discounts in retail after release, or just don't buy it at all. 

What?  Games have been $50-60 for a few years now.  In fact, I'm surprised they aren't higher as $50 was the prices for many more years than one would expect.  I spend $60 on one trip to a sushi joint.  I think the price is more than fair considering there are no sub fees.

PC games are not 50 POUNDS unless they are the 'deluxe/CE/complete/whatever' edition.

Kinda like how it won't be 50 YEN or 50 WON or 50 KRONAR etc etc.

USD isn't the only currency. :P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

You're right, the price of this game is ridiculous.....ridiculously cheap compared to most AAA MMOs!  Considering you have no sub fees to pay once you buy, it's a pretty good deal, I say.  The price of this game is not really any different than most games coming out nowadays, so I don't see a problem.

But, if you don't like it, that's cool.  I'll be enjoying it for quite a while before you decide it's a low enough price for you.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Really this thread is still here? (/facepalm) and the op is comparing the pricing of a full version launch to an expansion cost?? 

HERE's my reaction to that one.

(incidently, that video is one of my favorite videos of all time LOL)

Anyway the pricing is clearly normal, people were paying more for SWTOR and you have to pay to play that game meh. Heck the RoI expansion was the same cost for LOTRO. 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by evolver1972

You're right, the price of this game is ridiculous.....ridiculously cheap compared to most AAA MMOs!  Considering you have no sub fees to pay once you buy, it's a pretty good deal, I say.  The price of this game is not really any different than most games coming out nowadays, so I don't see a problem.

But, if you don't like it, that's cool.  I'll be enjoying it for quite a while before you decide it's a low enough price for you.

Well if you want to be that way.

Then Guild Wars is totally overpriced for  a Cash shop game. Most games with a cash shop are free.

• valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62

I can't help but say everyone can blame themselves. I can't go to this board or another gaming site without hearing how its the saving grace of the MMO genre and gaming itself. Having that kind of blind support by so many what did you expect? Boasting millions signing for beta did you think they'd sell it for 39.99?

The gaming industry has seen every AAA title in the last two years sell near or over 1,000,000 boxes at launch and then struggle to keep 200-300k (if lucky) around after the free month. This is the money grab. Many won't like that there isn't a raiding treadmill (even though they have said there isn't one) just like all those so mad that SWOTOR wasn't SWG 2.0 after EA told you it wasn't but bought the game anyway. What i'm saying is every title bleeds players after the first month or two. I'd want my dollars up front also.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Xexv

I was just looking at the UK prices of a bunch of different games and I can see why PC users would feel like it's overpriced.

In the US, $60 has become pretty typical for a AAA title at this point. But it looks like they're jumping the price up 10 quid for you Brits.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I have said this 5 times today already, but you guys refuse to listen, prefering to repeat the same moan.

I bought the game for £39.99 for the GF today.

Where is your mental block on that information?

Go and look at Play.com.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

I paid 149+ for the CE and another 50+ on a digital deluxe (for the kids). Why? Because I can and I want to.

You may think it foolish, wasteful, whatever. I think it is cheap considering how many months I will invest in this game. Oh and letting my younglings have thier first, eagerly anticipated, taste of playing their first MMO.

You think it is too expensive. Cool, don't buy it. The less bitter, self entitled, gripers we have in-game, the better.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Opens wallet.. tumbleweed whistles out and out of the room... maybe when things are a bittt cheaper.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Jesus Christ! If you cant afford 60 dollars (or whatever currency) then DONT play the game!  This thread is getting stupid. No one is forcing anybody to buy anything.

Its Arena Net's IP and they can sell it for whatever they want.  Complaining about it isn't going to change that.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

You are wasting your keyboard. We're at page 19 and some people do not understand how there can be different countries or currency. You could show them a globe and Euro or Pound notes and they still would not be any wiser.

Edit. The guy posting above me is a perfect example. He does not know how to type other currency's even when the thread is littered with examples. Edit

I bet it's the same people who say GW2 does not have a subscription fee so it's okay to pay a bit more. Completely forgetting (most) other games with a cash shop are free.

This discussion has been closed.