Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Opapanax

I'm not sure what games OP has been playing the last 2 or 3 years. Games being priced at 59.99 is nothing new, the price increases have been coming for a while. I remember when it was big debate for the consoles when X360 and PS3 started charging 50 and 60 dollars for games.

This is pretty much the average pricing on high-end games. I'm not suprised by it, I think the OP just needs to do a little more research there.

For the OP the Anet website charges $80 (49.99 British Pounds) for the normal digital edition (that is a 33% difference with the US price). Which is not average priced at all.

/shrug... I paid £39 for the GF's standard version, which was completely in line with what I was expecting.

Has it occured to you that Anet charge more by agreement with their retail partners? The reasons to do it this way should be pretty obvious...

Well, we can guess what we want. But the OP just compared to other games he bought for full price. Thats the only thing he can really go on. And I agree that he should shop around, but still all this doesnt explain the huge price difference.

The fact that Anet allowed other retailers to sell the pre order for £39 should be the only explanation you require.

It didn't happen that way by accident.

So can the US players also find that large of a price difference when buying in American retailers? Compared to what you say it would be $46.79 .

If not, then Anet is only overcharging nonUS players and it isnt about protecting EU retailers. Or they wouldve done the same for the US.

I honestly do not care about their pricing in the US, or the way you are twisting and turning to make this look bad.

The price I paid, £39, was completely in line with my expectations. That is all that matters.

You are staring to look like a man with a mission to demonise ANet at all costs now tbh.

No , I'm a fan of Arenanet the developer. But that doesnt mean that I can't be critical about other decisions they make.

Sure you are. I can see that. So much a fan in fact that you, for some reason, are trying to create a shit storm over very standard pricing.

Being able to buy this game for £39.99, as allowed by ANet, is fine and completetly in line with expectations. I simply don't understand what you are crusading about.

The price difference is not explained by your assumption. It just doesnt make sense that Anet does this to protect only the European retailers. Thats why I asked if the same is happening with the US retailers... yah de yah... /snip

/sigh... look...

I will repeat.

I do not care about the US market. I only care what the game is for sale for in my region. I am not interested in your extension of the the conversation to include US pricing. The price I paid was not expensive when compared with the Uk market in general.

No matter how you look at it , the UK price for the DE version is very pricy. Especially compared to the US price and standard full prices in the UK for games.

I will repeat. I bought the game for £39.99 for my GF. If you don't like the prices you see on the ANet site, that choice is also open to you. No one is trying to cheat you.

If you don't like the price you see, look at other retailers. If you insist on the DE version directly from ANet then that's your look out. What you shouldn't do though is pretend that there isn't a choice on how much you spend.

I just can't stand yes-sayers.

Well, nay sayers who always take the contrary PoV just in order to pick an argument or be 'cool' or whatever are just as bad IMO.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

An extra 10 Euro..

Basiclly the price of a couple of pints of beer..

I think I can live with my purchase of GW2

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Hurvart

Originally posted by slicknslim88

This game isn't even that pricey, typical Xbox 360 games cost the same.  And Diablo is going to cost the same, Starcraft 2 even cost the same and they have no reason to charge 10 extra dollars either, they just do it for shits.  The console games say they charge 10 more dollars from the previous consoles because of the "HD" features.  PC games have always been 50 until Blizzard came along. 

This is an MMO that is free to play, a top of the line, future of gaming MMO.  And it is no more expensive than Thor God of Thunder was for 360 when it was released...need I say more?

Some of the other cash shop games are free to download. So its not very cheap. At least people should wait and preorder after NDA is lifted.  Its always better to know what you are actually getting for your money. Without any real info and facts its difficult to determine if its worth the price or not.

NDA? What NDA?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Or if your a cheapskate like me, you can buy the game once its been out for 3 or 4 months at probably less than half the current price, and any really bad bugs the game may release with, will hopefully be dealt with, its a win win tactic image

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

SWTOR's Collectors edition wasnt worth the 150 bucks, neither is GW2....collectors editions are notoriously 79.99 to 99.99 where they get off charging 50 bucks more i will never know. will people pay it yes! is it right of them to charge it for something that is only worth the original CE price range...NO!...HELL NO.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Saryhl

SWTOR's Collectors edition wasnt worth the 150 bucks, neither is GW2....collectors editions are notoriously 79.99 to 99.99 where they get off charging 50 bucks more i will never know. will people pay it yes! is it right of them to charge it for something that is only worth the original CE price range...NO!...HELL NO.

have you seen what you get.. THAT is why its 150 >.< The statue alone if worth 70

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

what are people complaining about ?

normal pc games are 49.99 euro in holland.  GW2 costs 59.99 euro (the normal console game price! )

i call it cheap if anything :)

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Another day -- another useless post.... no wonder no one goes to these forums anymore.

This about sums it up nicely

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Loke666

Here in Sweden it costs 500Kr, same as mostother new games... In fact CIV5 and a few others cost me 600Kr so I am happy enough.

And yes, it is $74 but games are more expensive here than in the US. You can still buy it straight from ANET for $60.

Bought mine from Webhallen.se ^^

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Jesus are people getting paid to bash GW2?

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Just got an email from ncsoft about pre-purchase pricing

€55and €20 more for some crappy one time use stuff.

Is that is an indication how they are going to price the cash shop, I'm out!

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Amjoco

There is no monthly fee that is why Arenanet is charging the same price as a PS3 or XBox 360 game. Come on, do some research, this is the going price of most AAA games.

/endthread

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Originally posted by Mouls

Jesus are people getting paid to bash GW2?

I think people are just getting dumber.... unfortunately....

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

i find it totally interesting who, from the inner circle of tards, is buying this game or not.

srsly.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by Amjoco

There is no monthly fee that is why Arenanet is charging the same price as a PS3 or XBox 360 game. Come on, do some research, this is the going price of most AAA games.

/endthread

It would be if it wasn't for the cash shop.. We have to wait how that turns out. For all we know it's the same cash shop as a free2play game. Then all of a sudden GW2 is mighty expensive in comparison.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Here is why people are annoyed:

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60 = £37. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

In the UK a normal PC game, or other MMO costs £35 - £40.

Also, you can buy GW2 from play.com for £39.99 = $63, which is a fair price equivilant to the US price. Why are ANet charging more than retailers?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by stragen001

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

Also, you can buy GW2 from play.com for £39.99 = $63, which is a fair price equivilant to the US price. Why are ANet charging more than retailers?

And why do you care so much if you have an option to buy cheaper? are you forced to buy from official store? You complain for the sake of complaining.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I'm Alot Shepard, and this is my favourite rant on the web.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Valua

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really?

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

Don't buy it then. No harm to you, No harm to us (As if we cared). Can always stay in....the other MMOs.

But something tells me you just wanted to type for attention.....See you in GW2! :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

In the US, the price for GW2 is $60 = £37. In the UK the price for GW2 is £49.99 = $80. Why are ANet charging European customers more than US customers? 

Could it have something to do with the fact that the European economy is very volital right now?

Join us dtguilds.com

But yet... when I went to the UK last a CD cost me 3X more than it does (in general) when Im in the U.S

So.... should I go rage out at their local HMV because it's too much money? Only for them to basically laugh and tell me "if I don't want to buy it, then don't buy it".

It's really that simple... if your going to bitch and moan about a few bucks on a video game, you probably should just stop playing video games. Pick up reading - books are way cheaper.

If they were charging $99 for the game or something I could understand the outrage but this is the same cost that EVERY SINGLE AAA title costs on the Xbox/PS3, etc. So, why is GW2 the bad guys? Because they want to make a profit?

Seriously, people are just getting more and more spoiled by the day....

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by Cammy

But yet... when I went to the UK last a CD cost me 3X more than it does (in general) when Im in the U.S

So.... should I go rage out at their local HMV because it's too much money? Only for them to basically laugh and tell me "if I don't want to buy it, then don't buy it".

It's really that simple... if your going to bitch and moan about a few bucks on a video game, you probably should just stop playing video games. Pick up reading - books are way cheaper.

If they were charging $99 for the game or something I could understand the outrage but this is the same cost that EVERY SINGLE AAA title costs on the Xbox/PS3, etc. So, why is GW2 the bad guys? Because they want to make a profit?

Seriously, people are just getting more and more spoiled by the day....

You still buy CD's? Wow, move into the 21st century. 

What im trying to get at, is would you be happy if you had to pay $80 for GW2, because thats the equivilant price ANet are charging us Europeans. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• pags411pags411 Member Posts: 98

I'm rarely surprised by the MMO RPG community, but the number of posts referring to the price of the game as being exorbitant is pretty surprising to me.  This is a free to play title that has already demonstrated objectively impressive visual and audio.  Additionally, it appears to be remarkably different from any other title in the genre while offering a wide range of gameplay opportunities for every type of MMO player.  If that general concept doesn't excite you then you probably fall into the nerd rage category of people who dislike or like something for the sake of disliking or liking it.

The game is going to cost as much as any console and many PC games cost at launch.  I fully expected this, and most people I've spoken with weren't surprised either.  I guess the thing that strikes me as bizarre is the justification people cite when cursing ArenaNet's pricing decision.  For example, this original poster points to TOR and Tera as contrasting examples.  This is a nonsensical comparison when you consider the fact that these two games are subscription-based (which implies a very different philosophy to game design and management through it's lifetiem).  S/he then asks how ArenaNet can justify charging this amount and supposes that it may be due to it being free to play (acknowledging this significant difference from games that were just mentioned earlier in the post).  There's also a curious remark about not receiving a retail box (do people use the boxes for something?)

Comparisons to titles like ME3 strike me as odd.  This is probably a difference between EU and US (I live in the US), but ME3 costs as much as GW2 will cost.  It's strange that they cost different amounts in EU.  It sounds like GW2 might be very marked up in EU?  This game doesn't cost anymore than any other game I've ever seen on a shelf.  To top it off, s/he says s/he will by the game in a few months when it costs significantly less.  Sounds like they took care of their own problem?

• SaftglassSaftglass Member Posts: 8

In sweden 380sek cheap!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    To be honest I think the fact we Are all living is ridiculous.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

This discussion has been closed.