Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current Forum Activity

SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

I think a lot of the flaming on this site would disappear if you guys removed the "Current forum activity" section on the main page. Trolls/haters mostly don't bother with spending their time to manually go to the specific forum of a game they want to troll, so they use the Current forum activity section for an easy way for this.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I like the current forum activity feature. I've found interesting threads that way that I might not have found otherwise. Threads without any trolling or flaming. Threads full of real debate and people willing to agree to disagree. So no I personally wouldn't like to see it removed as a feature :(

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by melangel

I like the current forum activity feature. I've found interesting threads that way that I might not have found otherwise. Threads without any trolling or flaming. Threads full of real debate and people willing to agree to disagree. So no I personally wouldn't like to see it removed as a feature :(

I agree 100%.

I mostly use the real-time forum overview when I'm browsing the forums. It also makes it good for learning what people think about games I otherwise would never even have heard of or bothered to look into.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Current forum activity is the best feature of this forum and i think it should expand to 10 posts instead of 5.

It makes the forums much more alive.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I like the forum activity feature, it shows what the community I like seeing what threads are most popular minute by minute.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Somsbal

I think a lot of the flaming on this site would disappear if you guys removed the "Current forum activity" section on the main page. Trolls/haters mostly don't bother with spending their time to manually go to the specific forum of a game they want to troll, so they use the Current forum activity section for an easy way for this.

Any thoughts?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Tardcore

Any thoughts?

I feel used

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by EverSkelly

Current forum activity is the best feature of this forum and i think it should expand to 10 posts instead of 5.

I think 50 is good. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/realtime/

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by grunty

Omagawd!

Where did you find that?

*trollplosion*

@ OP. Please no. That feature is single most important one on the front page.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by grunty

Omagawd!

Where did you find that?

*trollplosion*

@ OP. Please no. That feature is single most important one on the front page.

???

It's on every single page of this site except for the front page.

And I just found it on the front page.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

'Current forum activity' is one of our most popular features on the site and helps people find all sorts of conversations they wouldn't have otherwise. If users are having kneejerk reactionary responses due to stuff they see coming through the activity feed that is something on the user side (i.e. a need for the user to learn restraint) and not something we can (or should) try to code into the site.

Thanks!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by melangel

image  One of my favourite features of the front page. Really would not be the same without it.  It's not just Trolls that use it O.P.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I use it a lot, and sometimes it may make it look like I am hating on something, as I would probably not even click on that games forum otherwise, but I try to not go to where something I say could be seen as 'hate'...I try to be as truthful, but just like everyone else, I have likes and dislikes, and I try to put postivie and negative things in...

I don't hate any game enough to drone on about it, but sometimes if I see someone painting a picture too far one way or the other, I will give a counter or different perspective...Thats what forums are for, well atleast when we aren't acting like a certain mmo killed our dog.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Current forum activity for me is the most useful feature on this site. Being able to see what is currently being discussed across all of the game forums is essential and makes visitors to the site feel a part of what is going on. 

PS, you can see more realtime posts by clicking the more posts link at the bottom of current forum activity

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Looks like i'm the only one here then image

I use it a lot myself too (in fact it's basically the only thing i use on this site) but i still think it should help in cutting down some of the flaming though.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

It is what brings me to the site, I use it to "keep a finger opn the pulse" of the MMO community. Well atleast our little community here.

For a wider perspective: It almost sounds like you would make it harder for folks to post their views. Why would you want to do that? If we take away the "flames" and "haters", all we are left with is "hype". I LOVE free speech and it causes fear in me when someone wants to impeed it.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I love when a topic about an older game comes up for discussion that I've never played.

The passion that some of the gamers feel for those older titles makes me want to download them and give them a try.

Current Forum Activity definitely has its upside.

Originally posted by Four0Six

Why would you want to do that? If we take away the "flames" and "haters", all we are left with is "hype". I LOVE free speech and it causes fear in me when someone wants to impeed it.

There's a difference between people posting negative criticism and flamers/haters.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Why would you want to do that? If we take away the "flames" and "haters", all we are left with is "hype". I LOVE free speech and it causes fear in me when someone wants to impeed it.

There's a difference between people posting negative criticism and flamers/haters.

Only in the eye of the beholder.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

That's one of the main features of the site I use.  It's a useful tool.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Not nearly as much as you think.

I'd prefer to error on the side of caution and let a dozen troll posts go past in order to preserve people's priviledge to speak.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'd prefer to error on the side of caution and let a dozen troll posts go past in order to preserve people's priviledge to speak.

In general, I would agree with you Kyleran.  Right up until I check out their posting history.  When you see that out of the last 10 posts, more than 6 of them are negative on the same game points to a troll.  Even then though, I look more at the tone and how "reasonable" the complaints are more than the amount of complaints.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Kyleran

In general, I would agree with you Kyleran.  Right up until I check out their posting history.  When you see that out of the last 10 posts, more than 6 of them are negative on the same game points to a troll.  Even then though, I look more at the tone and how "reasonable" the complaints are more than the amount of complaints.

Please contact me privately if you feel there is a user who is making a habit of continuously trolling a particular game forum. We'll check it out and take action if necessary. Thanks!