Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legend of Grimrock

snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Just noticed this one....

Fans of RPG's in the old days...eye of the beholder, Lands of Lore anyone?

Just look at this one,,,brings back good memories :)

http://www.grimrock.net/

I know, it's an RPG, no MMORPG.....just wanna share it with you.

This sort of gameplay I miss these dayz..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It looks good on paper but I'm a bit reserved. I've fallen into this trap before with indie remakes. They are often nothing more than bad clones of great games, from times past.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Reviews arent bad either, and the price is just...LOL

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/legend-of-grimrock/1222252p1.html

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Really looking forward to this :) It looks great..

I dont know why they didnt make it turnbased however, I mean why use a tilebased system for movement if you dont make it turnbased..

Wizardry 8 style :)

I can atleast hope they will add a turnbased or pausable option further in after release, Im worried that the realtime will be to much for my taste atleast..Im old and slow :)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by thark

I dont know why they didnt make it turnbased however, I mean why use a tilebased system for movement if you dont make it turnbased..

Eye of the beholder, land of lore.. and many more were tile based without being turn based. I think thats what they were going for.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by Vannor

Originally posted by thark

Eye of the beholder, land of lore.. and many more were tile based without being turn based. I think thats what they were going for.

Yes I know, but the reason they were tilebased was because they could not make a fluid 3D game back then, I applause the oldschool take on this, but I highly doubt the reason people liked Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore was because they were tilebased...So..They could just have made it full 3d in this case as they deceided not to have a turnbased system..IMO

But...I'm still very greatful for this...and I can always hope for an added pausfunction with option to give orders naturally:)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am waiting for the iOS version.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

15- 20 hrs of gameplay.. not much tbh..

It does look promising tho.. but i will wait until release and see.. since no demo provided.

I always feel that.. when a game doesnt have a demo or decent preview.. most likely its going to be crap.

Legen of Grimmrock does seem promising tho.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by EduardoASG

It does look promising tho.. but i will wait until release and see.. since no demo provided.

I always feel that.. when a game doesnt have a demo or decent preview.. most likely its going to be crap.

I think that's a good amount of gameplay time when considering the prices is $12.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

and seems theres a demo available.

Im downloading it form Ausgamers website.. so guess players can test it before buying it.

Worth taking a look at.

About the price.. true.. aint much.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by drakes821

I think that's a good amount of gameplay time when considering the prices is $12.

Not to mention the community created content will add to it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Im downloading it form Ausgamers website.. so guess players can test it before buying it.

Worth taking a look at.

I love those games! I was a huge Eye of the Beholder fan. I do hope it comes out for the Android OS.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I will take a good 15-20 hours of gameplay over a padded 40 hours any day.

Plus, short game = more time for other games. As long as i got my money worth, shorter games are better.

Worth taking a look at.

My guess is that the "demo" at ausgamers is the HW test file and not a demo unfortunatly.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I wish the combat was turn based but other than that it looks quite good.

I'll be picking this up as soon as I can.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Originally posted by thark

I can atleast hope they will add a turnbased or pausable option further in after release, Im worried that the realtime will be to much for my taste atleast..Im old and slow :)

The reason is because of pathing AI and formations.   Their are technical mathematical reason why its simply better from a pathing perspective.  Yes I can do some sort of A* pathng algorithm or some such over a non tile based map to get something to some place is a optimal or close to optimal path.  But that is not the same things as programming in tactical considerations.

They can give you better tactical behavior while still allow you to skirmish in and out and also have mobs skirmish as well.  They could have gone turn based but they chose real time to make certain bahaviors possible and to have a certain visceral feeling to the game.  Turn based is more cerebral.  Not that that is bad but it is different.  And really they almost might as well have a turn/real time option.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Definitely pre-ordering. Eye of  the beholder 2 was my first RPG game and I loved it :)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

For some reason I'm extremely excited about this game. In fact, I just loaded up a new game of Eye of the Beholder to get in the mood for some dungeon crawling action!

Now, if only I could find some blasted graph paper around here *starts searching*

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Rednecksith

For some reason I'm extremely excited about this game. In fact, I just loaded up a new game of Eye of the Beholder to get in the mood for some dungeon crawling action!

Now, if only I could find some blasted graph paper around here *starts searching*

I see I'm not the only one. :) While waiting, I bought Realms of Arkania 1-3 from GOG.com and dug into those.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Rednecksith

I see I'm not the only one. :) While waiting, I bought Realms of Arkania 1-3 from GOG.com and dug into those.

Oh, Realms of Arkania, I remember that one too :)