Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game still worth buying as GW2 is out . . .

KuriouzKuriouz Member UncommonPosts: 25

Just wondering if its worth it to invest in GW, as GW2 is out now. Does GW still have large enough population to make it worthwhile. Easy to team up and find parties etc. Of course active guilds and PvP.

Thx

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Guild Wars 2 isn't out, it doesn't even have a release date yet.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If GW2 was out.. why would you rather buy GW1 if you'd tried neither?

But yes, GW1 has a very healthly population.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Gw1 will probably always have some kind of population in the thousands just becase it has this weird Sister-game dynamic with Runescape.  ...I don't understand that whole Crossover,  but it exists for some reason and it's a force to be reckoned with.

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

I spent the last couple of days messing around with the Prophecies limited free trial and I regret all those times I picked up the GW box and put it back on the shelf thinking "I can't really see myself playing this more than a few hours; besides, I have a WoW character to manage."  :(

The one problem I had to deal with was a lack of intuitiveness -- partially my 'fault' coming from primarily WoW clones -- not in the combat or the pace in which things are introduced, but in terms of efficiently managing one's time and all the items one picks up.  Do I keep it to trade with an NPC later?  Should I ID it?  Should I salvage?  Is it worth something to other players?  Do I need to keep it for crafting?  Did I make it 10x harder for myself by vendoring all those items?  I found myself constantly looking up information, a lot of it humorously contradictory of course, and some of it requiring following a long trail of links to find out that one will want to have N number of X items to give to P person some time L levels down the road, which is most efficiently done by farming M monsters in A area or salvaging C components from D drops.  It's exhausting! 

The portion of the in-game community I saw was still pretty active ... moreso than a few of the TOR servers I've played on.  =P

• boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60
    I've been playing GW for 6 years. Right now you can pick up 3 games for $30. I'd buy it. Also consider that GW2 will release later this year.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

In a word? No. Don't think you know GW1 from the GW2 beta.

GW2 is a fun game from people that have a passion for MMO design and their players.

GW1 is closer to a single player PvP/cooperative game with teams than an MMO.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Kuriouz

Just wondering if its worth it to invest in GW, as GW2 is out now. Does GW still have large enough population to make it worthwhile. Easy to team up and find parties etc. Of course active guilds and PvP.

Thx

Well, seems you may already have your answer from all the other comments. ^^   As far as I have heard, the two games are quite distinct from each other.  GW1 will appeal to a different group of people and you just might find it to your liking.  Sure sounds like it is active, from all else being said.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by boikymar

I've been playing GW for 6 years. Right now you can pick up 3 games for $30. I'd buy it. Also consider that GW2 will release later this year.

Ive started playing in last year in anticipation of GW2, and the game is great fun, and i have only just completed the campaigns.  I would recommened buying it for the lore alone.  Hall Of monument reward system means achievments in GW2 give you instant rewards in GW2 - its a really nice tool for rewarding GW1 play.  Think of the game as an Traditional RPG in the Guilds Wars world with a co-operative environment (it is not a mmorg and doesnt pretend to be)

Tip - if you want to join up with people outside a guild, travel by boat to Embark Beach or the great temple of balthazar, pick up the daily Zaishen  quests there and go the zone/area where the quest starts.  You will see lots of random groups forming there which are easy to join (a lot of the zones you will not have been to yet, so it gives you goals :))

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

GWs is an awesome game, actually. But don't expect it to be the same as GW2.

It sets up the lore nicely, and the art style is similar (although, 7 years old), but it doesn't have action-combat, and it's not really an MMO.

It's basically an online single player game, with some MMO elements. If you are going to check it out, do so for the story / quests, primarily. To be blunt, you will not have time to unlock all the perks from GW1 -> GW2 if you are starting fresh. Unless you power-game it for a few months and are constantly engrosing yourself in strategy guides. There's just way too much content there to absorb.

Here's a good video series if you're interested in the original Guild Wars:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=11

He basically had a month off from working, and decided to dedicate that entire month towards GW1 content play-throughs, and he documented it. He does an awesome job explaining what's going on, and the lore behind it, as he guides you through various quest lines in the game.

Some of the more recent videos also have some GW2 stuff thrown in, and his entire series on the 'winds of change' ties one of hte bonus mission storylines in with how they may be relevant to GW2. Really great stuff if you like lore.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

You can't jump.  'nuf' said!

I self identify as a monkey.