Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO Awakening Focus Group Community Update #1

Comments

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by Norpan

Well, to be honest Norpan, as neutral as I try to be about MO as a game (SV I have little respect for, that's a fact), the quotes from the focus group is ill hidden advertising. I find it lack of respect to treat the community to such obvious hype.

Well, there is also quotes like:

• Henrik, Star Vault CEO: That is not supposed to happen!

• Anonymous Game Master: Seriously you did what... how the F#$@ did you make it do that?

Call me sceptic, but what I hear when reading these "quotes" is someone saying to the other one "Yeah.. and then throw in some witty funny quotes to balance the other positive ones out... yeah.. that totally looks legit!". Sure, it is something for community, I don't quite care, better than nothing. I just dont enjoy being treated like some cheap kid who will get all hyped up as soon adults mention candies. Maybe that's just sceptical me:)

Yeah, but you don´t even like MO, so those quotes ain´t for you so to speak. Those quotes are for the guys that play MO and so far I haven´t ran into any "kid" from all the guilds I´ve been in. Most people playing MO are 20+. So shouldn´t refer to people that like these quotes and that play MO as "kids". I think people that play MO takes these quotes for what they are. And that´s something that is not set in stone.

Sigh.. I mentioned "kid" as a metaphor, google it. I didn't say how old MO players were, but how I felt treated like by those quotes. Nor do I dislike MO, I dislike SV. MO is just a game I am mildly interested in. 

And as I said. These quotes ain´t directed toward someone that´s not interested in MO. Your interested in disliking SV. And the people that play MO and don´t have anything against SV, they welcome these quotes, cause they thirst so much for new info about Awakening. Just head over to MO forums and have a look for yourself. Threads like: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/70748-awakening-screenies.html or http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/73885-awakening-tc-guards-ai-murder.html So people that play the game and look forward to Awakening, appriciate these quotes, and they get some bones to chew on before they get new screenies etc.

I dont care who they are directed to. I merely said that I consider such quotes to be lack of respect to the customers, irrelevant on who exactly they are aimed at. That the customers in question have low standards is another topic.

And since when is 18-20 the age of a "kid"? In Sweden your considered a adult when you turn 18. So Henriks refers to the people playing MO as adults... ;)

Its not about when you stop being a kid but proving your random number of MO players being 20+ wrong. 

Nope, since that is MY experience. And I still haven´t run into any "kid" in any guild that I´ve been in. The youngest I´ve played with has been 21 years old and the oldest 44 years old. And amadmans quote is more on par with what I´ve experienced.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i have met around 6 people under the age of 20 since i started playing MO, not going to name them since they mgiht not want people to know their age but overall ive probably met and known around 200 people who have played the game since beta to today.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Well, to be honest Norpan, as neutral as I try to be about MO as a game (SV I have little respect for, that's a fact), the quotes from the focus group is ill hidden advertising. I find it lack of respect to treat the community to such obvious hype.

• Anonymous Game Master: Seriously you did what... how the F#$@ did you make it do that?

Call me sceptic, but what I hear when reading these "quotes" is someone saying to the other one "Yeah.. and then throw in some witty funny quotes to balance the other positive ones out... yeah.. that totally looks legit!". Sure, it is something for community, I don't quite care, better than nothing. I just dont enjoy being treated like some cheap kid who will get all hyped up as soon adults mention candies. Maybe that's just sceptical me:)

Yeah, but you don´t even like MO, so those quotes ain´t for you so to speak. Those quotes are for the guys that play MO and so far I haven´t ran into any "kid" from all the guilds I´ve been in. Most people playing MO are 20+. So shouldn´t refer to people that like these quotes and that play MO as "kids". I think people that play MO takes these quotes for what they are. And that´s something that is not set in stone.

Sigh.. I mentioned "kid" as a metaphor, google it. I didn't say how old MO players were, but how I felt treated like by those quotes. Nor do I dislike MO, I dislike SV. MO is just a game I am mildly interested in. 

And as I said. These quotes ain´t directed toward someone that´s not interested in MO. Your interested in disliking SV. And the people that play MO and don´t have anything against SV, they welcome these quotes, cause they thirst so much for new info about Awakening. Just head over to MO forums and have a look for yourself. Threads like: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/70748-awakening-screenies.html or http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/73885-awakening-tc-guards-ai-murder.html So people that play the game and look forward to Awakening, appriciate these quotes, and they get some bones to chew on before they get new screenies etc.

I dont care who they are directed to. I merely said that I consider such quotes to be lack of respect to the customers, irrelevant on who exactly they are aimed at. That the customers in question have low standards is another topic.

And since when is 18-20 the age of a "kid"? In Sweden your considered a adult when you turn 18. So Henriks refers to the people playing MO as adults... ;)

Its not about when you stop being a kid but proving your random number of MO players being 20+ wrong. 

Nope, since that is MY experience. And I still haven´t run into any "kid" in any guild that I´ve been in. The youngest I´ve played with has been 21 years old and the oldest 44 years old. And amadmans quote is more on par with what I´ve experienced.

"I haven´t ran into any "kid" from all the guilds I´ve been in." -Norpan

"Most people playing MO are 20+." -Norpan

A classic example of the pitfalls of inductive reasoning

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

If you have being in  RGD, SS, DC, MWT, AQ, RUS, CHT, WSX, ENVY and a couple of other older guilds i cant even remember their names based in Mohki and Bakti you would have meet 15-17 year old kids and at least 1 in each guild. Most of them are still playing MO and some of them keep low profile and are way more mature than the average MO 18+ player but that cannot change the fact that a decent part of Mo's playerbase is under 18.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Who cares about the real age of MO players. 

In MMOs it's one's behaviour that make one a kid, and by that definition I'd say a huge percentage of MO's playerbase are snotty troll kids.

But is that so strange? Most sane, mature people left ages ago since the game only caters to trolls, e-peeners and griefers.

Originally posted by SHOE788

Really? Hows that? I haven't ran into any "kid" in MO and as I said the youngest I've played with was 21. So how is this inductive reasoning when it's my experience? Either way, this has nothing to do with this thread. If you wanna continue talking MO players age maybe we can start a new thread and have at it. ;)
  • ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Really? Hows that? I haven't ran into any "kid" in MO and as I said the youngest I've played with was 21. So how is this inductive reasoning when it's my experience? Either way, this has nothing to do with this thread. If you wanna continue talking MO players age maybe we can start a new thread and have at it. ;)

Stating that, I quote, "Most people playing MO are 20+." -Norpan, is an inductive reasoning since you state it like it's a fact (not an opinion or people in those guilds you've been in) and then get proven wrong by CEO :P

Stating that, I quote, "Most people playing MO are 20+." -Norpan, is an inductive reasoning since you state it like it's a fact (not an opinion or people in those guilds you've been in) and then get proven wrong by CEO :P

It´s a fact in my eyes since I´ve only met people that is 20+ during the time I´ve played. And it´s a fact as well if you go by how people voted in that thread by amadman. Had it been many under 18, they would have said it in the comments below. But there were not that many... And also Death had only ran into 6 peeps under out of the 200ish he says he have met. So yeah, it goes even without saying that most people playing MO is 20+. And CEO was proven wrong with that poll... :P

And CEO was proven wrong with that poll... :P

Yes, I am sure that a random poll without <18 option on forums and experience of two players is more accurate than CEO answering shareholders. I hope the sarcasm is clear there.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Recently started playing MO after coming from Darkfall and I got to say im having a blast and this upcomnig exp is sounding really nice...

Sure it has some bugs and at least none that i have come accross have been total game braking or anything and darkfall has some nasty bugs and stuff as well so im used to it..

As for PVP it seems to be non stop during peak times and there are always lots of people around the Bakti and fab and whenever i go to other cities they are also well populated..

Anyway we dont really have much choice if we want to play a hardcore pvp sandbox type game, its either MO or Darkfall and i really like them both..

Cant wait for the new EXP pack and its good they are using actual players to do all the testing.

Yes, I am sure that a random poll without <18 option on forums and experience of two players is more accurate than CEO answering shareholders. I hope the sarcasm is clear there.

There is a new poll on MO. Someone is following us. ;) And seems that 20+ is leading right now.  So go make 50 fake accounts and vote under 20 now so you won´t be proven wrong.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Recently started playing MO after coming from Darkfall and I got to say im having a blast and this upcomnig exp is sounding really nice...

Sure it has some bugs and at least none that i have come accross have been total game braking or anything and darkfall has some nasty bugs and stuff as well so im used to it..

As for PVP it seems to be non stop during peak times and there are always lots of people around the Bakti and fab and whenever i go to other cities they are also well populated..

Anyway we dont really have much choice if we want to play a hardcore pvp sandbox type game, its either MO or Darkfall and i really like them both..

Cant wait for the new EXP pack and its good they are using actual players to do all the testing.

Amen to this. But I left DF after I realized the insane grind and no skill cap. I hope they fix both b4 DF 2.0.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

There is a new poll on MO. Someone is following us. ;) And seems that 20+ is leading right now.  So go make 50 fake accounts and vote under 20 now so you won´t be proven wrong.

I am sure that a random poll with <18 option on forums and a few trolls is more accurate than CEO answering shareholders. Although, given the lack of correlation between reality and the things the StarVault CEO says, I'd say the credibility is about equal.

(Either way I don't care about someone's age. And 20-30 sounds legit. It's a pay-to-play game, after all. "Under 18" was probably Talwin and errr one of Talwin's alt accounts.)

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

Shareholders expect certain information like target market and things like that. I am sure most of this info is just pulled out of the air with little to no actuall investegation. And no one other than people here are taking it as cold hard facts.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

Because a poll which only a percentage of playerbase will see and even smaller percentage will bother voting on is more accurate than CEO with access to everyones data. Not that I care, but I hope you realize how wrong that logic is.

Because a poll which only a percentage of playerbase will see and even smaller percentage will bother voting on is more accurate than CEO with access to everyones data. Not that I care, but I hope you realize how wrong that logic is.

Nope. Cause as any poll it shows the average outcome of how it is. How do you think elections work? Just the same. Even though not every1 vote, you still get where the wind is blowing. And Henriks answer was more likely just a guess. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Originally posted by amadman

Shareholders expect certain information like target market and things like that. I am sure most of this info is just pulled out of the air with little to no actuall investegation. And no one other than people here are taking it as cold hard facts.

Lying to shareholders is always good practice.

People wonder why Henrick isn't liked.

Secondly, is it really much of a stretch to believe that what the CEO says should be the truth?

Nope. Cause as any poll it shows the average outcome of how it is. How do you think elections work? Just the same. Even though not every1 vote, you still get where the wind is blowing. And Henriks answer was more likely just a guess. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Yeah, I am sure that the CEO with access to everyones data, including their birthdate has to guess. Much less accurate than a fanmade poll! Geez, Im done wasting time proving why your logic is flawed, maybe we should create a poll here with a question of "Is MO a good game" and use that as an argument.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

You fundamentally misunderstand polls and statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll#Potential_for_inaccuracy

The poll has numerous faults, and the best information we have is Henrik talking with legal responsibility to shareholders. That lists the average age as 18 - 20 and this extremely flawed poll does nothing to disprove that.

"So how is this inductive reasoning when it's my experience?" -Norpan

...Really?

no...Really?

Average age of MO players? How about average intelligence?

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/74059-average-age-mo-player.html

Take a look at that poll, see something wrong? Lets see 18-20 option and 20-30 option. Despite the obvious age discrepancy there is there anything else a problem here? Maybe if you are 20 years old you fall into both categories? Oh look it's repeated for 30 -40 and 40+.

Wow this person sure can create a poll

Secondly, let's take a look at the post, surely theres some goods in here.

"haters on MMORPG thinks, and as Henrik said here"

Haters on MMORPG think this! Oh yeah by the way Henrick said it too, but HATERS ON MMORPG ACTUALLY THINK THIS LOLOLOL crazy huh?!?!?!

"According to him over 50% at least should be between 18-20 then..."

Lets have a small lesson on averaging shall we.

Imagine 3 numbers, 1 2 and 3. To average we add them all up 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 then divide by the total amount so 6 / 3 = 2

But wait!!!! 2 is just one of the numbers out of the three making 2's representation 1/3 or 33% and NOT "at least 50%".

There must have been some wizardry I did so lets try again

4 + 6 = 10 / 2 = 5

DOH! 5 isn't even represented in our numbers and it's the average!

Isn't this a middle school math skill?

"DEM MMORPG TROLLS R SO DUMB! XDDDD"

The thread made on the official forums got a reply from Henrik, who it appears must be a "hater from mmorpg" (as per that thread) because he sticks by his 18-20 numbers and gives his source.

Thanks Henrik for clearing it up - the official figures show the average age is around 18-20.

Originally posted by Betel

The thread made on the official forums got a reply from Henrik, who it appears must be a "hater from mmorpg" (as per that thread) because he sticks by his 18-20 numbers and gives his source.

Thanks Henrik for clearing it up - the official figures show the average age is around 18-20.

Really? He also said: "with that said, I do think you are somewhat correct though, the avrage age have gone up, especially if we count active players. As the poll slowly shows. Guess we could renew those numbers a bit more accurate up to date. Many of the 18 years vets are now 22 as well So they moved up an option". Thanks for clearing that up for us Henrik.

[Mod Edit]

...Really?

no...Really?

Take a look at that poll, see something wrong? Lets see 18-20 option and 20-30 option. Despite the obvious age discrepancy there is there anything else a problem here? Maybe if you are 20 years old you fall into both categories? Oh look it's repeated for 30 -40 and 40+.

Haters on MMORPG think this! Oh yeah by the way Henrick said it too, but HATERS ON MMORPG ACTUALLY THINK THIS LOLOLOL crazy huh?!?!?!

Imagine 3 numbers, 1 2 and 3. To average we add them all up 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 then divide by the total amount so 6 / 3 = 2

But wait!!!! 2 is just one of the numbers out of the three making 2's representation 1/3 or 33% and NOT "at least 50%".

4 + 6 = 10 / 2 = 5

Well, the guy at least changed it as soon as he made it. So he saw what he did there. And people that read it can see this as well. So don´t know how you missed it. But it says it right there at top. "Edit. Since I messed up the poll some. Only vote for the option before if your 20 or 30 etc. And hopefully a mod can fix the poll for me later".

Henrik said -

"I got the information from our customer database avrg info on age from our databses that signed up to the game, which should be pretty accurate. Dont forget that a huge amount of our players never writes on our forums. We have many none english players that have their own forums as well."

So the only reliable figure is that one. If he wants to run the numbers again it might get different results but who knows. So yes Henrik has cleared this up beyond all doubt - the only known figure for the average of MO players is 18-20. This continues the trend of Henrik only really being honest when legally responsible for his statements.

The quote you use contains no verifiable figures at all, and isn't evidence of anything except opinion. The fact remains that the only figure with any provenance is 18-20.

This case is closed, by Henrik himself, until new figures are available.

...Really?

no...Really?

4 + 6 = 10 / 2 = 5

Well, the guy at least changed it as soon as he made it. So he saw what he did there. And people that read it can see this as well. So don´t know how you missed it. But it says it right there at top. "Edit. Since I messed up the poll some. Only vote for the option before if your 20 or 30 etc. And hopefully a mod can fix the poll for me later".

Yet the fail math still exists.