Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile does the Diablo franchise justice.

Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Don't have enough time or interest to write a lengthy review here, so I'll summarize:

Diablo 3 - Terrible departure from what made the series awesome by a dev team who clearly never played Diablo 2 and is just abusing the franchise for its name.

Path of Exile - Awesome throwback to the earlier games made by a group of diehard Diablo 2 fans which only makes adjustments where adjustments were needed.

It's in open beta right now.  Try it.  I know it's hard realizing that a game you have waited several years for is going to suck (I share in your pain), but it's time to move on.

Path of Exile is the true Diablo 3.

Comments

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

While I only played up to level 5, while the game seems interesting with the skill gems and the talent trees (webs??)

I hated the art style and visuals, its so dark and black, my eyes hurts after playing for 20 minutes.

I actually liked the diablo 3 art style compare to diablo 2, they added more colour to their palette and definitely spiced up the environements.

One more thing about PoE, is it just me or the character scaling is horribly done? My character looks so huge? Like unusually huge if you look at the surrounding environments.

As for gameplay, I never think any diablo game is complex in its mechanics, so I don't really see huge difference between diablo and path of exile. (Other than PoE talent WEB! xD)

and hey, diablo III and path of exile both needs constant internet connection :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• BobRSanchezBobRSanchez Member UncommonPosts: 3

Guy, you played basically the TUTORIAL of Diablo 3. Of course, as it is no longer the year 2000, Diablo 3 should have some major changes with respect to the mechanics relative to Diablo 2. Think about it, if they put out a game that's exactly like Diablo 2 with better graphics and new story, fans will be DISAPPOINTED. They'll just complain about how the devs didn't put any work into making a new game.

Anyway, with that said, you can't  compare Diablo 3's beta to a game that opens most if not all of its content to public test. You've played 1/3 of Act 1, and you're trying to tell people that you know this game already.... that is simply ridiculous.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by BobRSanchez

Guy, you played basically the TUTORIAL of Diablo 3. Of course, as it is no longer the year 2000, Diablo 3 should have some major changes with respect to the mechanics relative to Diablo 2. Think about it, if they put out a game that's exactly like Diablo 2 with better graphics and new story, fans will be DISAPPOINTED. They'll just complain about how the devs didn't put any work into making a new game.

Anyway, with that said, you can't  compare Diablo 3's beta to a game that opens most if not all of its content to public test. You've played 1/3 of Act 1, and you're trying to tell people that you know this game already.... that is simply ridiculous.

Why should it have major changes to mechanics? If its not broken dont fix it... Diablo2 had the mechanics it had because it was fun. Not because of techical limitations.

Old school Diablo fans will be disappointed if Diablo3 is nothing like Diablo2. That game defined the genre. And some fans really want to continue playing that genre. They dont want something that feels like a generic action game dumbed down enough for anyone to play it.

Diablo3 is still a good action game worth buying and playing. But some fans will not think that is enough.

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by Hurvart

Why should it have major changes to mechanics? If its not broken dont fix it... Diablo2 had the mechanics it had because it was fun. Not because of techical limitations.

Old school Diablo fans will be disappointed if Diablo3 is nothing like Diablo2. That game defined the genre. And some fans really want to continue playing that genre. They dont want something that feels like a generic action game dumbed down enough for anyone to play it.

Diablo3 is still a good action game worth buying and playing. But some fans will not think that is enough.

I am still confused about what makes diablo 3 so different from diablo 2????

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by nomatics856

I am still confused about what makes diablo 3 so different from diablo 2????

probably will not become clear until May 15, if then.. My opinion.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I don't agree. Some things had to change for example the fact that they added a real map instead of that overlay that D2 used and Path of Exile now uses. It's a bit annoying at least to me. That's not to say Path of Exile is bad, I've been playing it for a while but many of the changes Diablo 3 made are things that needed to change.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

You sir are wrong every true diablo fan wanted a 2d game jut like the first 2, diablo 3 doesn't appeal to anyone I know in the d2 community at all! Blizzard North left for a reason and made arena.net and runic games. Diablo 3 looks like like wow and looks and feels nothing like diablo.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

So by your logic, we shouldn't

• Upgrade or buy new computers until our current setup is broken beyond repair.

• Apple shouldn't have designed iPod touch, because iPod Classic wasn't broken

• RIM shouldn't have designed smartphones because feature phones wasn't broken

• Every MMORPG shouldn't do anything other than copy WoW because it isn't broken, it might boring, but it isn't broken

• Every current shooting game should be exactly like CoD because the game obviously wasn't broken

Sure I get that you shouldn't change just for the sake of change, but we should be constantly changing in hopes of getting something better. No one knows if Diablo III is going to be worse than Diablo II, but also no one will knows Diablo III is going to be better than Diablo II. Its like comparing Harry Potter's 1st book to it's 7th book, themes changed, story progressed, world altered.

Diablo III should feel like a game created and delievered in 2012, not 2000. Of course the game is changed, if you want the Diablo II fun, why not just play Diablo II, obviously graphical upgrades isn't what you are looking forward to in Diablo III?

Game production is a design oriented business, limiting designers by asking them not to change anything is like asking you to write with your foot, simply unfair.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

So by your logic, we shouldn't

• Upgrade or buy new computers until our current setup is broken beyond repair.

• Apple shouldn't have designed iPod touch, because iPod Classic wasn't broken

• RIM shouldn't have designed smartphones because feature phones wasn't broken

• Every MMORPG shouldn't do anything other than copy WoW because it isn't broken, it might boring, but it isn't broken

• Every current shooting game should be exactly like CoD because the game obviously wasn't broken

Sure I get that you shouldn't change just for the sake of change, but we should be constantly changing in hopes of getting something better. No one knows if Diablo III is going to be worse than Diablo II, but also no one will knows Diablo III is going to be better than Diablo II. Its like comparing Harry Potter's 1st book to it's 7th book, themes changed, story progressed, world altered.

Diablo III should feel like a game created and delievered in 2012, not 2000. Of course the game is changed, if you want the Diablo II fun, why not just play Diablo II, obviously graphical upgrades isn't what you are looking forward to in Diablo III?

Game production is a design oriented business, limiting designers by asking them not to change anything is like asking you to write with your foot, simply unfair.

It appears they have dumbed down the game to try to target a more mainstream audience. Probably because they think more people will buy and play it.

No permanent choices. No skills or character stats that can be different depending on player choice.

Things like that will not make the game more or less modern. Unless making games more mainstream is a trend 2012. Is that good? I dont think so. Because I am not very mainstream. I dont think mainstream games 2012 are that good really. I also like better graphics and better technology in general. And I think it can make new games better. But that is not why I have problems with parts of D3:s design and mechanics.

IMO, compared to D2 D3 is more action game and less RPG.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah .. i will stick to Diablo 3. From what i have seen .. it is going to be a good game.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

I will most likely cancel my D3 preorder (preordered start of 2010...) after having played the PoE stress test last weekend. I loved D2 and loved most of what I saw in D3 in the early stages because they where creating the mechanics I wanted. It was all about depth and diversity. Individuality through a huge amount of skill combinations. But it all went down the drain.

Unluckily the D3 developers priorities changed (by force maybe?) at some point. They then removed the depth. They removed the need to think about your build. They removed anything a 10 year old would not understand. They literally removed everything I liked in D2. All that is left is a simple hack and slash for your average console player. Just pick a character, turn your brain off and rush through the game. Think about skill choices? No need. Consider attribute allocation? Too tiresome. Come up with a good skill order for fast leveling? What? Far too complicated. Develop a unique build? Uh...I wanna d3str0y not build!!! Wat does 'build' even mean?!

So here we are with a game a monkey could beat. A game where a monkey will have the same char as you and will copy every build you make. A game where you do not have to decide a thing. A game where failure is impossible. And this is being hailed as the best game evar!1

Sorry to say, but PoE IS the real D2 successor. D3 was doomed once they decided to consolify it. The skill tree of PoE is what I expected to get from D3 but instead they reduced it all to one build per character type.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

The fact that I see so much PoE fanboys on D3 forums leads me to believe that the PoE crowd is more concerned about D3 than the opposite. Rightly so.

After all, we all know D3 will sell millions of copies and has an industry behemoth with gigantic resouces behind it.

Both games have beta reports out and as much as there are haters on both sides (haters gonna hate), for different reasons they attract different kinds of players and seem to be two good games. It's the number of people they will attract that will make a difference in the end. PoE is a title that may sell some hundred thousand copies while D3 will for sure sell millions of boxes. PoE may even benefit from a post-D3 depression if Blizz doesn't make sure the endgame content in D3 is enough to provide the daily fix to the arpg junkie masses that will assemble for D3.

If I had time I would wait it out 6 months and pick whichever the best, probably skipping both unless D3 pvp becomes awesome.

Since I am bored while waiting for GW2 I'll give D3 a shot, will keep me entertained for a while, has historical value and these hack and slash arpg shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway...

Unless Blizz does the right thing and puts out kick ass instanced pvp, if that is the case all changes. Please don't spam "shut up pvp guy" quotes from dev, D3 pvp can be awesome if done right and Blizz can't be so dumb as not to see this....

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

I played Diablo2 quite a lot, mainly because it was one of the few games my friends and I all mutually enjoyed. However, I'm trying to make my own small statement by not buying Diablo3 because it looks and plays like a top-down World of Warcraft. Even though my friends will be buying it, I'll put my time towards Tera or Dominus and maybe GW2 if I read that the World vs World vs World isn't garbage.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

I started playing Diablo 1 about a month after the original release.  Played Diablo 2 as soon as released ofcourse.  I'm also in Diablo 3 beta and will play the day of release.  I've found all 3 very fun.  I like constant action in my games and that's what Diablo provides.  I've also been in the POE beta for maybe 7-8 months.  It doesn't even come close to what Diablo 3 is in terms of fun.  So I guess I am not a true Diablo fan, even though I'll be playing it and the real fans won't be.  Shrug, what can ya do?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Aori

Diablo 3 is still true to its franchise lol. D3 has 3 major changes that i think are worth being upset about.

One being the leveling, one of the big deals was getting past level 90 upto 99. At the same time the majority of people who managed this feat either account shared or botted not exactly game breaking but i'll accept it being a gripe.

Second being the skill tree removal. This is kinda iffy, i personally enjoyed having a skill tree. Though i have got used to the D3 skill system. The D3 system is good, you don't have to reroll a character again, it was annoying after awhile in D2. The great thing about D3 is that you pick the skills you like and how you want them to work with runes, there is a few systems in place to either reward people with keeping the same skill set. You cannot change skills on the fly to fit whichever situation you may want at that time. Thus similar to D2 perm skill tree allocations.

Third being attribute allocations, the only people who may have an honest gripe against its removal are minmaxers. Mid to Late D2 almost everyone dumped everything into Vit and used items to get their stats by switching gear in and out to get the desired items. This isn't what blizzard had in mind when creating D2 either, so it was changed.

Most of these changes were talked about when Blizzard north was around, however they dragged their feet for to long deciding if it was the correct way to go.

So with PoE i have some issues as well. Ignoring its somewhat dated look from the early 2000 era.

First gripes - copied start - AoC intro, picking your hero on a slave ship and waking up on a beach next to a driftwood wand.. seriously. Second part of this is the mobs, zombies and quill shooters from D2 starting area are now 'drowned' and 'sand spitter'.

Second gripe - lighting - I get what they were trying to do with the lightning at the start but it was seriously painful. I achieved a headache and a bit of nausea. The other part to this is the game is to dark, not like evil dark but like night time dark. The lighting scheme needs changed a bit to be brighter without ruining the ambience.

Third gripe - skill tree - All i can say is, it looks like a failed game of cats cradle. This is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen, variety is great but clean that shit up.

Also something about it feels clunky and doesn't seem to flow right with the camera and controls, hard to put it in words though.

Dispite this, it has a chance at being decent. I mean for free you can't go wrong if you can get passed my second gripe, ignore the first and don't mind sifting thru the third.

TLDR;It doesn't remind me of Diablo in the least.

when I saw the skill tree in PoE.. I said out loud WTF!, then made my husband look then explained how ridiculous it was in vent. For the most part I agree with Aori. D3 has issues, PoE has many issues but I think PoE is a blatant rip off and not even a good one. 

Most of D3's issues are from what they have removed from the game during the beta process.. instead on giving us a good game they kept removing great features with each beta patch.. dumbing it down even more. Hell and things they removed were the fun stuff like the gold looting critters and the better crafting system with recipes that dropped in dungeons.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Yeah PoE's skill tree is so incomprehensible.  Girl gamers.

• BobRSanchezBobRSanchez Member UncommonPosts: 3

Okay look. All I'm saying is, you're basing all your judgments on the BETAAAAAAAAAAAA. 

First of all, you never even played through Act 1 of the game.

Second of all, if you don't like it, sure, don't buy it. But I will say this, usually those people who are unwilling to change their state of mind and open their hearts to new things are the ones that ultimately lose out in the end.

"You're wrong because true hardcore D2 players think D3 is totally crap and not really a Diablo game"

Well, guess what, maybe ten years from now D3 fans will be saying D4 isn't truly a Diablo game because D4 doesn't live up to D3's reputations. It's a never-ending struggle of old/diehard fans vs new audiences and players.

All I'm saying is, if you write off the game just because it's not the same as what you remembered Diablo 2 to be, well, it's just your loss then. If you go play a game that's straight up a rip off of Diablo 2 with better graphics, I guarantee you that in the end you'll realize people who stuck with D3 had a good reason to. I mean just look at HoN vs League of Legends. People who claimed League of Legends was too dumbed down and for noobz and casual gamers only... where are they now? That's right, playing LoL because nobody wants to play HoN anymore due to its many faulty mechanisms. Changing a game to suit more people...I really fail to understand how that's a bad thing. Are you all really just a bunch of elitists who don't want as many people to enjoy a game with you as possible? Come on now, either give it a chance before you claim it doesn't live up to its predecessors' names, or just don't buy it but don't make premature assumptions about it either.

I'm not saying that anyone can gaurantee Diablo 3 will be the most successful out of the series or even as successful as the others... But who knows? There will always be people who has never tried Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 and will be BLOWN AWAY by Diablo 3 and become the new generation of hardcore Diablo fans. You'll just be replaced and nobody will really care, right? I mean, the choice is obvious isn't it? Stick with the old idea and be cynical, and die off with the others who can't let things go, or open up your minds and join the fun with the rest of the world. That's all I'm saying.

TL;DR- D2 had faults, D3 attempts to correct them. People will always bitch and moan, but if you want to survive, you have to adapt.

Originally posted by Inf666

I will most likely cancel my D3 preorder (preordered start of 2010...) after having played the PoE stress test last weekend. I loved D2 and loved most of what I saw in D3 in the early stages because they where creating the mechanics I wanted. It was all about depth and diversity. Individuality through a huge amount of skill combinations. But it all went down the drain.

Unluckily the D3 developers priorities changed (by force maybe?) at some point. They then removed the depth. They removed the need to think about your build. They removed anything a 10 year old would not understand. They literally removed everything I liked in D2. All that is left is a simple hack and slash for your average console player. Just pick a character, turn your brain off and rush through the game. Think about skill choices? No need. Consider attribute allocation? Too tiresome. Come up with a good skill order for fast leveling? What? Far too complicated. Develop a unique build? Uh...I wanna d3str0y not build!!! Wat does 'build' even mean?!

So here we are with a game a monkey could beat. A game where a monkey will have the same char as you and will copy every build you make. A game where you do not have to decide a thing. A game where failure is impossible. And this is being hailed as the best game evar!1

Sorry to say, but PoE IS the real D2 successor. D3 was doomed once they decided to consolify it. The skill tree of PoE is what I expected to get from D3 but instead they reduced it all to one build per character type.

I agree. For D2 veterans that wants to focus on character building POE will be a better game. Blizzard probably knows this. But they dont care. Because they believe its better to be more mainstream and release a game that all action gamers will want to play. People that just want to kill things and find loot. Some of them would not play if character building and skill system was to complicated. They typically dont want to learn and spend time figuring things out. Or be forced to make permanent choices.

Blizzard understood they couldnt make the perfect game for everyone. But they are trying to target the majority of actiongamers.

People that are dis appointed can try POE. Perhaps there will be other alternatives later. We dont have to play D3.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

I do agree with the op.. beeing a Diablo series fan myself.. was expecting much more from Diablo3.

Path of Exile, on the other way, kinda fulfills the 'diablo addict' part of myself. The art direction goes into a more gothic/dark ambiance, the graphics are awesome in my opinion, and the skill tree system is amazing, an whole new aproach, fresh, unique.

Path of Exile is already an amazing game, and i can only imagine what it will be once is complete and goes live.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by Impulse47

Don't have enough time or interest to write a lengthy review here, so I'll summarize:

Diablo 3 - Terrible departure from what made the series awesome by a dev team who clearly never played Diablo 2 and is just abusing the franchise for its name.

Path of Exile - Awesome throwback to the earlier games made by a group of diehard Diablo 2 fans which only makes adjustments where adjustments were needed.

It's in open beta right now.  Try it.  I know it's hard realizing that a game you have waited several years for is going to suck (I share in your pain), but it's time to move on.

Path of Exile is the true Diablo 3.

lol, another d2 clone pretending to be d3

amusing post, thx for  the laugh dude.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Diablo 3 only having a very small handful of people working on the game who were even around when Diablo 2 released, let alone Diablo 1, is more than enough of a reason for me to regard it as I would any other unknown title.  They're working entirely off of the property itself and nothing else.

I think any other action RPG deserves just as much of a chance as it does at this point and from what I've seen coming down the pipeline, there are more than enough games to rival it for me.  We all know that Diablo 3 carries the most girth in it's name, now, though, so you can imagine it'll sell completely regardless of any exterior factors.

Personally, I'd rather play Path of Exile than Diablo 3 as it stands having played Path of Exile and from what I've seen of Diablo 3.  I find it hard to believe that Diablo 3 will have many game changers apart from what we've already been shown.

Not to mention this is Blizzard's first real chance to stab into the console market with a hot and butter-ready knife.  I'm not slamming consoles or anyone who enjoys them, but time and time again games have suffered from ports even existing.  I don't believe that Blizzard will develop the two titles independently down the road, which makes me believe that they'll withhold content or interesting features that'd just not work on the console platform.  Just my two cents.

• DwigoDwigo Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Impulse47

Yeah PoE's skill tree is so incomprehensible.  Girl gamers.

Its not that it is incomprehensible, the problem for me is that there are so many waste of point fillers. First you need to take like 5 levels worth of useless +stat and then you get one passive you actually wanted. Then you need to repeat that to get to the next one.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

PoE is pretty medicore, for all its so called "complicated" mechcanics it's actually a very shallow game.

You guys will come to see this once you've played it more than a weekend.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

PoE is pretty medicore, for all its so called "complicated" mechcanics it's actually a very shallow game.

You guys will come to see this once you've played it more than a weekend.

The action RPG is almost literally defined as a shallow game.  Item hunting and what else?

People enjoy that.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

PoE is the first good computer game since years.

i have no idea about D3 tho and will surely try it too.