Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long should the CD on WvW be?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

If you decide to change server, how long do YOU think the CD should be before you can participate in WvW?

Imo, there should be a short cooldown but you loose the boost rewards. I would like it to be from an hour to maximum 6 hours. Even though you will not be changing server all the time, you should be able to enjoy the whole game shortly after you change server. 

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I think until a new server rotation occurs.  Otherwise people may still switch servers to win in that round.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

perfect example as to why it should wait until next rotation:

Day 1 of 2 week WvW =

Player A: aww man my server sucks Server 2 is dominating, I should switch to that server.

He switches and now can fully participate on the "Winning" Server.  That would breed even more un loyal and un dedicated players to just switch servers any chance they think their server sucks and join the "Winning" server.

I think if someone is going to server hop then WvW needs to have a lengthy delay to prevent the above from happening.

THere is a reason that WvW will send the best server against other best servers and put lower servers against other lower servers.  If you're server sucks, doesn't coordinate, fights over commander, fights over keeps, or what ever then sure I don't see a problem in switching servers.   The problem is when people server hop to just be on the best server over and over with no concequences. 

Usually players who server hop, Not just switch servers because they want to be in a better guild or on a better orginized WvW server, but server hop always lookiing for the best server compared to theirs, They are usually the worst players to be around.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

well switching your homeworld server will cost some cash obviously which is nice to boost company revenues for those people that want to say they are in the #1 server.  Sadly the #1 server is probably going to change often and queue times for WvWvW are going to be sky high for the #1 Title matchup for that 2-week period.

I think it should be as often as you want, but you do not gain any of the server's mist bonuses for PvE until the next 2-week matchup. 

At least for PvE you can switch servers for free at anytime right in game, but you keep bonuses from your homeworld server - I don't think I will ever change my homeworld server unless no one from my server plays WvWvW.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think it should be 2 server rotations so anywhere between 2 and 4 week

Make that atleast a week... and then only at server rotations... which would mean anywhere between 1 and 3 weeks

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Isn't that what Arenanet already said? You can change home server and still participate in W v W freely but you will not get any bonuses from W v W that your old or new server has earned until after the next rotation.

They're not denying access to world v world to anyone after a server change, they're denying the bonus effects. At least that's how I understood it when I read the blog.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Isn't that what Arenanet already said? You can change home server and still participate in W v W freely but you will not get any bonuses from W v W that your old or new server has earned until after the next rotation.

They're not denying access to world v world to anyone after a server change, they're denying the bonus effects. At least that's how I understood it when I read the blog.

That would be bad... people would halfway switch servers just because they are on the WvWvW loosing side...

There is absolutely no reason for server switches for WvWvW, as you can allready play PvE on all servers.  So make it hared to switch servers or all the elite jerkists will ruin a lot by continually switching to the winning side

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

To be honest switching servers don't need a cooldown period. Obtaining the buff from a WvW should be something like: a player needs to have been on the winning server from start to finish of the WvW event.

That would be the easiest solution in my opinion. People can transfer at their leisure then, but won't obtain the buff until the player has gone through a full event.

Changing home server should remove the buff yes. An exception could be made if moving from one winning server to another. Penalizing someone for changing servers by not making them able to do something is bad. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

If a player switches servers mid battle, the CD should be long enough for all short term plans/strategies to play out (2 days imo).

Something that is still on this topic would be someone who has characters on multiple servers that are warring with eachother.  If you were take into account a single player can be a member of multiple guilds, cross server espionage can become factor in WvW planning.  Almost like an Eve style meta game. 

One of the coolest things about Eve is the need for infosec/opsec.  Groups responsible for planning are compartmentalized from the rest of the alliance.  Hopefully all these thongs develop and take root within GW2 WvW.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That would be bad... people would halfway switch servers just because they are on the WvWvW loosing side...

There is absolutely no reason for server switches for WvWvW, as you can allready play PvE on all servers.  So make it hared to switch servers or all the elite jerkists will ruin a lot by continually switching to the winning side

I think you misunderstand, or I worded it badly. If you switch home server half way through a W v W round you will get no bonus from W v W until after the NEXT following round, so switching halfway through gets you nothing. No benefit at all. It would be 3 weeks before you would become eligible for the bonuses. One more week of the current round and the 2 weeks of the next one.

This forces people to participate for their current server if they want to get the bonus. What doesn't happen is you get barred from playing W v W, so no part of playing the game is denied you, just the bonus effects.

Originally posted by Maephisto  Hopefully all these thongs develop and take root within GW2 WvW.

There are THONGS in GW2?? Score!

I think you misunderstand, or I worded it badly. If you switch home server half way through a W v W round you will get no bonus from W v W until after the NEXT following round, so switching halfway through gets you nothing. No benefit at all. It would be 3 weeks before you would become eligible for the bonuses. One more week of the current round and the 2 weeks of the next one.

This forces people to participate for their current server if they want to get the bonus. What doesn't happen is you get barred from playing W v W, so no part of playing the game is denied you, just the bonus effects.

Switching half way through gets you on the winning side. Which for mos elitist jerkists is enough to switch sides. Allowing people to jump over to another server on every whimp is not something that helps with building swerver pride and strong communities.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by andre369

If you decide to change server, how long do YOU think the CD should be before you can participate in WvW?

Imo, there should be a short cooldown but you loose the boost rewards. I would like it to be from an hour to maximum 6 hours. Even though you will not be changing server all the time, you should be able to enjoy the whole game shortly after you change server. 

Until next rotation, to be able to take part in WvW, and no bonus for the first rotation in the new homeland.

You can switch servers at anytime, but your homeworld(WvW) should be not so easy be switched, to avoid winning team, or best bonus Joiner. All other ways will just invite to be exploited. And there are always players to exploit what ever is exploitable.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Maephisto  Hopefully all these thongs develop and take root within GW2 WvW.

There are THONGS in GW2?? Score!

Only on the Charr, unfortunately.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Switching half way through gets you on the winning side. Which for mos elitist jerkists is enough to switch sides. Allowing people to jump over to another server on every whimp is not something that helps with building swerver pride and strong communities.

Keeping people locked on a server they don't want to be on is much worse and can easily damage the community. You don't limit what a player can do, because that causes resentment. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I have thought about this and I believe the people who seek to switch servers solely for the purpose of being on the winning side is something we dont have to worry about.

The people who engage in this behavior are non factors as they are probably only worried about having the winning title and concern themselves little with skill or community coordination.  They can switch servers all they like, but I dont believe their contributions would amount to any advantage to the gaining server.  In fact it may be the opposite.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

As i am in now way for being able to transfer freely, i dont believe the asnswer is to take away something from a paying customer.

1 there are a few legit reasons to want "ONE" server switch. why should you be penalized for it.

I also dont think the buffs matter to people as much as winning, lol people lie cheat steal bot, just to win

I dont kno the answer and i hope arena net finds a good one but both of the solutions (server hoping, and taking away game time from WvW) are bad imo

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by Maephisto

I have thought about this and I believe the people who seek to switch servers solely for the purpose of being on the winning side is something we dont have to worry about.

The people who engage in this behavior are non factors as they are probably only worried about having the winning title and concern themselves little with skill or community coordination.  They can switch servers all they like, but I dont believe their contributions would amount to any advantage to the gaining server.  In fact it may be the opposite.

i think if enough of them did, it would damage the server they left though.  If you can transfer freely and a sever keeps loosing the population would dwindle

If that's what they want to do then good riddance to them. They have to pay a fee for that service and there's no guarentee that their new server will continue to win W v W matches with the matching system. If those people are stupid enough to fork over the cash every time their new server looks like it might lose a round, let em do it.

I don't want to play with those type of players anyway. I'd rather play with people who will stick around and play for their server's pride/honour, whatever you want to call it. If some choose to bail out when it gets rough then let em go I say.

Ok, i understand your arguement. But, this is at least in my mind not a problem. Let say you want to switch your home server, because all of your friends play at another one.(one of the legit reasons) But you are a avid WvW player and cant be without it. (and i can understand that) But then just wait when the server rotation occurs, and switch then.. maybe they can even give the option, that you register for a homeland switch, and you will be then switched at the next rotation time.

In such a scenary you can play(at longest 2 weeks) WvW, just without your friends at your old homeland, and switch than as soon as possible to your friends homeworld with being able to play WvW immediately. So.. imho no problem.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I thought all this had already been answered by the devs. I was under the impression from what I had read that once a new 2 week round started you were stuck competing for the server on which you originated at the start of that round. During the round you can switch servers but when you enter V8 your still competing with your original servermates until that 2 week round ends.

Am I wrong because that was what I thought I had read and it honestly seems like the only honest and fair way to run V8.

Originally posted by Connmacart

Keeping people locking on a server they don't want to be on is much worse and can easily damage the community. You don't limit what a player can do, because that causes resentment. 

You can switch your server at anytime, just not your homeland.. and that for a good reason explained a view times in this thread(exploit avoidence). And in almost all other mmos you cant switch your server in any case, just reroll on another server.

And wtf are two weeks in a mmo? Not even worth to mention. Seriosly, give at least a reason why it is that hard, which is not already countered. But.. no.. not necessary.. i dont care anyway.. ;)

Originally posted by Apraxis

Ok, i understand your arguement. But, this is at least in my mind not a problem. Let say you want to switch your home server, because all of your friends play at another one.(one of the legit reasons) But you are a avid WvW player and cant be without it. (and i can understand that) But then just wait when the server rotation occurs, and switch then.. maybe they can even give the option, that you register for a homeland switch, and you will be then switched at the next rotation time.

In such a scenary you can play(at longest 2 weeks) WvW, just without your friends at your old homeland, and switch than as soon as possible to your friends homeworld with being able to play WvW immediately. So.. imho no problem.

With the current system you can swap server now, and play with your friends right away. You just don't get the W v W victory bonuses until you've been residing on that server as your Home Server until after the next 2 week campaign has finished.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

I thought all this had already been answered by the devs. I was under the impression from what I had read that once a new 2 week round started you were stuck competing for the server on which you originated at the start of that round. During the round you can switch servers but when you enter V8 your still competing with your original servermates until that 2 week round ends.

Am I wrong because that was what I thought I had read and it honestly seems like the only honest and fair way to run V8.

You're not wrong. The OP poll is irrelevant due to this. I think the OP was under the impression that a server move denied you acces to playing in W v W, or perhaps that it should deny you access. I think the current setup is perfectly reasonable and will work well.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is not exactly true. If you switch from your start server for PvE reasons and find one you really like you should eventually be able to switch to the same server for PvP also so you can PvP with your friends. Or maybe you get unlucky and choose one of the servers with lowest population after a while.

But 1 rotation is fair.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Infinite