Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy the game in its current state?

Comments

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Praetalus

I find this amusing and also hypocrisy at its finest... "Would you buy it in its current state?".Current state meaning, unfinished...and overwhelmingly, it appears the large majority of you would... yet.....all day long I read post bitching about unfinished games rushed by the developers and how much its ruining the genre...yet, the majority here would by the unfinished product today if made available ..... amazing. Those who said yes, give yourself a big pat on the back...lol. And btw, this is not a shot at Anet in anyway, as obviuosly, they will release it when its ready...its a shot at the hypocrites who complain about something then proudly say that they would aid in which they complain....

So, I'm guessing, not a fan?  The question posed is NOT release the game now, it's, release it to ME now.  So, give yourself a pat on the back, for not understanding the question, or more likely, deliberately ignoring the intent in order to pretentiously ride in on the thread to slay the evil hypocrites.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Zeblade

GW2 is not going to be like so many hope for. They don't have tons of money to toss at this. And every kind of game,mmo get these silly threads before the game launchs and will give up tons of money for sight unseen.

To much time has passed. The graphics look dated and you cant go by some video. If you get the chance to see it before you buy then do what you want. But lol try not to use the word "hard core" when your going by some video.. I know you got in the beta played it blah blah.. 

Good game but so much of it has changed.. buying it? Not yet.. 

Funny, I've seen more of Guild Wars 2 now than I have of some games I actually purchased and subscribed to.  Anybody who manages to buy this game "sight unseen" has either been living in a cave for the last two years or just didn't want to see it.  And yes, to me, viewing gameplay video is a viable method of evaluating a game.  In fact, it's the only viable method short of actually having access to the client (in my opinion).

I've seen much and I approve.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Ankur

We don't even know when GW2 is releasing so i don't get this 'i will buy it when its ready'. If history is any proof MMOS don't change dramatically from beta to release. So i don't understand what magic people are waiting to happen at release.

I don't pre order just out of principle but i know GW2 will be more or less same at release.  So if you are not like me why not pre order now?

To me the only reason to pre-order is when something is going to be hard to find, which is almost non-existent in this day and age, considering Downloadable games. The only real exception might be CE's which are also never hard to find anymore.

I won't buy it until I see it in action, whether that's getting into beta, trying a trial, or watching a friend play.

Watching a friend play will be exactly like watching video on you tube;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by rungard

i would take my chances on 60 bucks for sure.

mmo's are never done.. we all know that.

ill help them out, but how long they keep me around is pretty much up to them. they have way more invested in this than i do.

There's a difference between "never done" and all but unplayable.The key factor as of late has been performance and optimization, well not really of late, this has been an ongoing issue since as far back as I remember (starting at SWG my first launch MMO), that's really the only thing I care about, features can be worked in, performance determines whether I can play it or not. The former I can live with, the latter not so much.

WHat's really key to this is that optimization is the last step, at this point there's no time for delays, it's a matter of get as far as you can, which for most hasn't been all that far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

We don't even know when GW2 is releasing so i don't get this 'i will buy it when its ready'. If history is any proof MMOS don't change dramatically from beta to release. So i don't understand what magic people are waiting to happen at release.

I don't pre order just out of principle but i know GW2 will be more or less same at release.  So if you are not like me why not pre order now?

To me the only reason to pre-order is when something is going to be hard to find, which is almost non-existent in this day and age, considering Downloadable games. The only real exception might be CE's which are also never hard to find anymore.

I won't buy it until I see it in action, whether that's getting into beta, trying a trial, or watching a friend play.

Not really, while watching a friend playing I can see his set-up, play it myself, etc...

Not really, while watching a friend playing I can see his set-up, play it myself, etc...

Ok fair enough but what i am saying is that do people really expect the game to change  alot at release? i see alot of peple giving the reason 'if it improves at release i will buy it'. but if people just want to test it, all you have to do is pre order, test the game and if you don't like it cancel the pre order. Everybody wins.

Ok fair enough but what i am saying is that do people really expect the game to change  alot at release? i see alot of peple giving the reason 'if it improves at release i will buy it'. but if people just want to test it, all you have to do is pre order, test the game and if you don't like it cancel the pre order. Everybody wins.

I don't think it will change, but the thing is, if I haven't seen it nor do I have an idea whether it will be playable on my PC or what type of performance I will have, it really doesn't matter if it changes or not, I wouldn't know heh.

Edit: Yeah there's always getting a gamestop pre-order and checking out Beta, which is a tad different than actually buying the game.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

No, i don't think it works that that with this game, does it?

This is a prePURCHASE thing, meaning to get into the beta's, you have to BUY the game, not preORDER it for 5 bucks or whatever

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Sorry it isn't going to work like that. Pre purchase is different then pre order. Once you get into the beta weekends you can't then say I hate this I want my money back. You bought it and used part of the product on offer. It would be like buying a bag of pretzels, eating part of them and deciding you like peanuts better and expecting your money back. No way. You opened it, used some and now you are the proud owner of a bag of pretzels like it or not.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

This is NOT for trolls, this is a question to those who consider themselves hard core Guildwarriors.  Just reading some of the statements on other sites about release made me wonder if there were any other crazies like me, who would take it, as is, and happily wait for updates to get it where Anet think it's ready for release. This is strictly a hypothetical, obviously, so no need to shoot back with, "they would never do that because.......

EDIT:  The question I'm asking is if it were offered to YOU specifically, and not a general release.  Even I wouldn't want them to launch before it's ready..........yes I would..........no...........yes............no......... 

Yes.   I've had nothing but postive experiences with ANet and the games they developed for Blizzard prior to leaving and becoming ANet (WarCraft, StarCraft, battle.net, Diablo, Diablo II) .    Something I can't say with many other gaming companies who, like some one-hit wonder boy-band, keep churning out the same palagerized plots coupled with second-tier engines and graphics while letting you know that, hey, they had this #1 hit in 2000...

Originally posted by melangel

Sorry it isn't going to work like that. Pre purchase is different then pre order. Once you get into the beta weekends you can't then say I hate this I want my money back. You bought it and used part of the product on offer. It would be like buying a bag of pretzels, eating part of them and deciding you like peanuts better and expecting your money back. No way. You opened it, used some and now you are the proud owner of a bag of pretzels like it or not.

Pre purchased games  a lot of times and got my money back too if i didn't like the beta. So yes it is possibble to get your money back.

Pre purchased games  a lot of times and got my money back too if i didn't like the beta. So yes it is possibble to get your money back.

Well, I don't know how you managed to do that, except by either calling your bank or credit card company to reverse the charge, claiming it was a scam or that you never recieved the order, which, where i'm from, is fraud and will land you in very hot water if they press charges, costing you ten times what they game cost, if they decide they don't want to tack on jail time so....yeah, don't do that.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

no

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

You are the first I have heard of who has managed that with their only reason being they don't like it. Not counting games that actually never release a final product. Not doubting you, just saying I've not heard of anyone else being successful.

edit: @Toxia exactly! Don't try this at home people!

Originally posted by Toxia

Well, I don't know how you managed to do that, except by either calling your bank or credit card company to reverse the charge, claiming it was a scam or that you never recieved the order, which, where i'm from, is fraud and will land you in very hot water if they press charges, costing you ten times what they game cost, if they decide they don't want to tack on jail time so....yeah, don't do that.

i don't need to do that because most of the pre orders only charged me 5 to 10 bucks and rest on release so was easy to cancel in other cases companies itself agreed to give money back to those who didn't like the game for example in case of STO / CO .

Even Ncsoft gave me my money back on Aion.

i don't need to do that because most of the pre orders only charged me 5 to 10 bucks and rest on release so was easy to cancel in other cases companies itself agreed to give money back to those who didn't like the game for example in case of STO / CO .

Ok well that's the difference. This is FULL prepurchase we are talking about here. Payment IN FULL from the start before you ever test it in beta.

Ok well that's the difference. This is FULL prepurchase we are talking about here. Payment IN FULL from the start before you ever test it in beta.

I payed payment in full for Aion, CO and STO ;)

Yeah, you are paying the full amount ^_^,  So I guess make sure you think about this before buying this time lol.

From April 10th onward, pre-purchasers of any of the editions (Collector's, Digital Deluxe, or Standard) will be guaranteed access into beta weekend events and a three-day head start for launch, which is awesome if you want to reserve a cool name so you're not stuck with being xLegolasXx. An additional benefit to any pre-purchase is the somewhat mysterious Hero's Band, which will apparently give characters a variety of power boosts to speed them on their way.

The Collector's Edition is going to cost you $149.99, but ArenaNet certainly seems to be providing bang for your buck: a 10-inch statue of the iconic Rytlock Brimstone and his sword Sohothin, a custom frame with five Guild Wars 2 art prints, a book on the making of Guild Wars 2, a soundtrack CD, and five in-game items (including a mini Rytlock), all of which should make this a pretty tempting order for super fans of the game. The Digital Deluxe pre-purchase is only going to run you $79.99, and the Standard Edition will be $59.99 -- again, any three of those will secure you the Hero's Band, a place in beta events, and a three-day head start. Pre-ordering Guild Wars 2 from select retailers will reserve you a copy of the game at launch and entitle you to a one-day head start.

SOURCE

Just for information, since you seemed confused . See you ingame!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I would but Anet is not dumb enough to risk alienating potentially millions of players with a buggy unfinished product.  I think we can all agree that has been a serious issue with most MMO's over the last decade so why exaserbate the problem by following suit.  AFAIK Blizzard and Anet are the only 2 companies that refuse to release unfinished product so in my estimation that makes them worthy of more time to "get it right".

Thank you for saying 'most.'   It's refreshing to have someone recognize that not every MMO has come out of blocks with the 'fail' built in...

Originally posted by TheTrueKing

Simple answer YES!

Why? because after playing nearly all games currently available on the market, i've realised there is nothing worth my time at the moment.  Even with Guild wars 2 not being finished I'd much rather play it not finished while they are still finishing it.

Burned out of FPS, Burned out of Linear quest lines, Burned out of gear grinds, and extremely burned out of grind until end game just to play a different game I grew accustomed to playing for countless hours, just fo fight over some loot with elitist jerks. 

Yeah, I'm in  the same boat.   What I've been doing is 'a month here, a month there' on F2P/Sub games like DCUO and STO.   And I have a fully bought LOTRO which I still log onto, on occassion...   But I just can't play it for more than a few hours every month.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I wouldn't buy it "as is" because OBVIOUSLY it's not ready or it would BE released.  Duh.  To me this is a no-brainer.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I voted no, my mind and heart say no.. but I am bored so if I had the chance, yeah, probably would.

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

Of course not, the game isn't ready yet. I am not a blind hyper who buys everything based on trailers and some gameplay vids.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Maybe I won't buy at all? I've heard a lot from leaks of performance issues, I would like to see that addressed for absolute minimum. The one issue I may have is if they never have a true open beta (one that you don't buy into) I'm not sure this time around those people will have a preview as like GW1. Sadden a bit by that.

Originally posted by winter

Sadly its threads like this that encourage developers to rush out half finished, buggy and feature incomplete games.

Let the GW2 developers do their jobs and make a nice polished, bug free game that you'll be proud to tell friends and family to buy. Rushing out a half finished game now would just give the haters more ammo, and  hurt the game company you all claim to love so much.

It's a pre-purchase that includes a beta test.   Everyone knows that.   It's clearly disclosed:

Starting April 10, players can secure their Guild Wars 2 Limited Collector's Edition, Digital Edition, or Digital Deluxe copy by pre-purchasing the entire game at buy.guildwars2.com or at select retailers. Players who pre-purchase any edition will have guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events, three-day headstart access to the final game, and Hero's Band in-game item. Learn more about our pre-purchase program and our incredible Collector's Edition right here!

As for me, I've nevery had a problem with a game made by ANet.   And I mean as ANet or Blizzard where they came from (Diablo, Diablo II, Warcraft, Starcraft...).   These are guys who were top-notch 'to the nines' developers and went on their own.  

And not a bunch of second-teamers that got lucky once and have been cruising on their reputations since.  Unlike other companies I could mention...