Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question about the servers in Guildwars 2

xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Hail my fellow gamers, so my big question around Guildwars 2 so far is how ill work the servers ?   5 servers divided by continent ? : Asia Europe Americas Oceania , etc etc Then on each one divides by 3 servers that compete on world vs world vs world, and will we be able to go to any of those continent servers ???   

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by xenpt

Hail my fellow gamers, so my big question around Guildwars 2 so far is how ill work the servers ?

5 servers divided by continent ? : Asia Europe Americas Oceania , etc etc

Then on each one divides by 3 servers that compete on world vs world vs world, and will we be able to go to any of those continent servers ???

There's no server based by region...

It'll have servers from which you can choose 1 to be your homeworld and for which you will fight all the time in WvWvW, you can jump to another server at any time for no cost, but you won't be able to fight for that server in WvWvW since it's not your homeworld and you get bonuses from WvWvW from acomplishments of your homeworld...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

I sincerely hope they have at least 3 separate Oceanic World v World v World servers. Any WvWvW match against other continents would be a slaughter, considering theyd both outnumber us and be on at different times, allowing them to take back all our progress.

I like your concepts...but Swtor taught me never to love (a dev) again. I'll never trust any company with my customer loyalty until they state a fixed release date for my country. Not beat around the bush with "staggered release so that the [obviously superior American] customers can get a smoother launch".

I know your agony of uncertainty. May we both receive answers soon...

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

Originally posted by Zillen

I sincerely hope they have at least 3 separate Oceanic World v World v World servers. Any WvWvW match against other continents would be a slaughter, considering theyd both outnumber us and be on at different times, allowing them to take back all our progress.

I like your concepts...but Swtor taught me never to love (a dev) again. I'll never trust any company with my customer loyalty until they state a fixed release date for my country. Not beat around the bush with "staggered release so that the [obviously superior American] customers can get a smoother launch".

The WvWvW battles last for 1 week, and then you change the opponents... So there's no sence in making 3 servers for each continent or oceanic servers... 

• ShadowBaronShadowBaron Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by korent1991

The WvWvW battles last for 1 week, and then you change the opponents... So there's no sence in making 3 servers for each continent or oceanic servers... 

I'm not an Aussie myself, but there's always reason to have separate servers for separate world regions.

Especially in PvP like this where, as pointed out above, people being on at different times will essentially make the whole deal one-sided: first one side takes everything without resistance, then the second side does it, no one ever actually engaging in any vast PvP.

Time zones are a pain and so is latency. These aren't problems you can just wave away.

Originally posted by ShadowBaron

Originally posted by korent1991

I'm not an Aussie myself, but there's always reason to have separate servers for separate world regions.

Especially in PvP like this where, as pointed out above, people being on at different times will essentially make the whole deal one-sided: first one side takes everything without resistance, then the second side does it, no one ever actually engaging in any vast PvP.

Time zones are a pain and so is latency. These aren't problems you can just wave away.

That would be the problem if they actually made region based servers and stood them against eachothers in WvWvW.... 

When they don't region lock the servers, the chance of having only americans/aussies/europeans on a single server is next to 0... 

And then, what would be the point of having different WvWvW battles and making your way up on the ladder of glory among other servers if there's always the same 3 servers fighitng against eachother and eventually everyone will go to that 1 server which is the best in it's region and WvWvW would die...

Latency worked just fine in GW1, I don't think there should be a problem with GW2 WvWvW since it's istanced and it's another server just for pvp...

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Unless they changed it, the WvWvW lasts 2 weeks, and servers will be paired based on record (once those start to establish, obviously no record first pairing)...I also think their will be many more servers than you guys are mentioning.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by Xthos

Unless they changed it, the WvWvW lasts 2 weeks, and servers will be paired based on record (once those start to establish, obviously no record first pairing)...I also think their will be many more servers than you guys are mentioning.

that is correct. WvW last 2 weeks. even after the first 2 weeks are done, they will probably start pairing winners and losers, or participation

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Originally posted by Xthos

that is correct. WvW last 2 weeks. even after the first 2 weeks are done, they will probably start pairing winners and losers, or participation

I tought it was 1 week, thanks :)