Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so wait a person can have a character in multiple guilds?

Comments

• SunthasSunthas Member Posts: 27

This idea frightens me.

In real life, I belong to multiple circles and I can talk to all at once, family, friends, coworkers, etc... If I have to actively switch my guild flag to determine which guild chat I see, that kind of defeats that purpose. 

Seems to me it will make trying before you buy as a guild member a lot easier, because you can try out a new guild without leaving your old guild. 

I agree this seems like it will make it a lot harder to lead and organize guilds and guild events when your guildmates are online but in other guilds, loyalty would be split, as would time, as the other poster mentioned, when he logged in and saw no one online he would swap guild tags, that causes downward spiral as when anyone else logged in, even though that other member was there, they would have flipped tags, so the guild would then again appear empty. 

I like the idea of having extra social circles, in EQ2 you could create cross-server chat rooms that anyone could use, so you could make other "guilds" that way, without having to only see chat of one.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

As someone who has led multiple 120+ person guilds over the past few years (as have many of you, I'm sure) this idea really frustrates me.   For the hardcore PvE and PvP guilds, I doubt it will be an issue as there will be rules that ban members from joining other guilds in most of them.  But for large, social guilds like ours it will be terrible as members will just jump ship to the guilds with the biggest influence at the touch of a button, instead of evaluating their options. 

Whats the point of even having multiple PvE/social grouping guilds on the server?  There will just be one 5000+ member guild that everyone is part of, and no point competing. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Actually I loved the way it was in GW1 cause:

1) one could switch at any character and still have its guild

2) guild could save spots for real players intstead of tons of alts since a player had what I pointed in number 1.

3) one could progress with any of its characters in the same guild with the guild benefiting no matter which character the player played at that time

4) stronger guild bond through good teamwork and cooperation by knowing your guildies and what they can or can't helping everyone to improve in pve and pvp.

Now your guild wants to do GvG but they can't because half of the players are currently in other guilds doing things there.

"We can't do GvG sorry", others that are more commited are dissappointed and trying to find other guilds aswell or leaving entirely if things like that repeat themselves over and over because people are online but don't care cause they are busy in other guilds at that time.

So the guild hopping will start to be the case 24/7 and no guilds will be able to establish the bond they had in GW1 or other games.

At least in GW1 if you were dissatisfied with a guilds progress or there were issues, you would leave and commit to a other one that suits you more.

Now It's like being unfaithful 24/7 and staying only with the guilds that currently have more advantages for you instead of helping your own guild to grow and get stronger.

It promotes selfish behaviour, no togetherness, no teamwork and no caring at all.

Thats bad in my opinion.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

It is actually quite nice, you have to think about the big picture.

You can be in a major PvE Roleplaying guild. Then, you can be in a big WvW guild. THEN, you can be in a guild that does The normal PvP. It works out really.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by DarkPony
    Poor guild leaders ... forced to spend their life's savings on the Influence vendor to keep as much boosts up as possible and to make their guilds appealing enough for people to keep repping for them and not insta-switch to another guild; it's a dirty job, eh?
    Members have it easy: they can quickly scan to see which guild has the most boosts running at the time and just run with the one that gives them the most personal gain.
    Lost your guild's keep in WvW and things look bleak? Watch and see your members melt away like snowflakes in the sun to join that other guild which is about to cap their own.
    Not saying that all people are like that, but many people in online games aren't so very loyal.
    At the very least this adds a ton more incentive for guild leadership to run a tight and well organized ship and keep achieving because guild members are a much more liquid commodity this way.
    I think it is reasonable to expect succesful guilds to come up with their own rules against guild commuting and forbidding their members to rep for others.

interesting

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

As someone who has led multiple 120+ person guilds over the past few years (as have many of you, I'm sure) this idea really frustrates me.   For the hardcore PvE and PvP guilds, I doubt it will be an issue as there will be rules that ban members from joining other guilds in most of them.  But for large, social guilds like ours it will be terrible as members will just jump ship to the guilds with the biggest influence at the touch of a button, instead of evaluating their options. 

Whats the point of even having multiple PvE/social grouping guilds on the server?  There will just be one 5000+ member guild that everyone is part of, and no point competing. 

There is no competeing in pve, and in pvp if there was only one guild you whole server could only own 1 keep,castle,supply depot on the whole map

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Guilds can have very focused themes (such as roleplay adventure, large-scale DE hunting, or WvW), and this could create a much more cohesive team experience.  However, most players have multiple interests and shouldn't have to restrict themselves to just one such guild.  This is dealt with in other MMOs by basically eliminating themed guilds.  Every guild is instead just a general mish-mash group who does a little bit of everything, comprised of many players who don't necessarily have the same interests or even get along.  

In this system, you can switch to your social guild with some of your closest gamer friends and have fun doing some personal story quests with them.  A few of you want to do some WvW?  You switch over to the WvW guild that you joined together.  

It's flexible, cooperative, and friendly.  

There's no need for any pseudo-nationalistic if you're not with us, then you're against us mentality.  GW2's system discourages any wannabe guild dictators who expect blind loyalty solely because you share the same guild tag over your head.  Instead, this system encourages you to actually forge relationships and earn respect and loyalty through a variety of in-game experiences.  If you are a good leader, of a good guild with a solid focus, players will continue to log onto your guild to run stuff with you.  If you say "my guild and nobody else's," you may attract some other guild-nazis, but you'll put off a great many players.  And I'll be seeing you in WvW :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

There is no competeing in pve, and in pvp if there was only one guild you whole server could only own 1 keep,castle,supply depot on the whole map

Dunno about you, but I join guilds for more than just buffs. It's only in games where that's literally the only advantage where that becomes the defining factor.

While it's true that no one wants to be part of the lamest guild on the server, I'd say it's also true that the better players generally want to be with other good players. Personally, I'd rather represent a guild of good players who are fun to group with, but has less buffs, than a guild that has max buffs but a crappy chat channel and questionable grouping.

To be honest, it wasn't a huge deal in FFXI, I don't see it being a huge deal here either. I can see how it would unnerve guild leaders who are used to running things a certain way, though.

Keep in mind, too, that you don't have to invite everyone either. So I'm sure there will be highly selective guilds on the servers that people just can't join on a whim. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of them had the best buffs either.

• Originally posted by Connmacart

This can be great for individuals, but I see a possibility of it hurting guild communities.

People don't have to form a bond with their guild and  I think that  the overal community can suffer from that. People being asses under one guildtag can hurt all other guilds they are in by their reputation. Try and fix that as a guild leader.

If the game forces people to form bonds, then those bonds were fake anyway.

People should form the associations they want to form, the game should people things to strive for and facilitate and give them tools to do so as a guild.

Why do you think guild in most games are complete soap opera dramas?  Its the combination of greed and fake bonds.  As simple as that.

• bongolinbongolin Member Posts: 31

"Loyal guild members" will be loyal until they don't want to be in the guild anymore and they will leave/switch. Same with the rest "not loyal". They will move from guild to guild, no matter howmany guilds they can join.

At the end, we have the usual guild situation + more options. Yet another Anet presentation of their "player must have options" philosophy.

I can't find the down side, can you?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Ecoces

just read on GW2Guru that a character can be apart of multiple guilds? how is that going to work and doesn't that seem to go against the whole idea of guilds in the first place?

Instead of thinking of it as guilds, think social circles.  It's flexible.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SunthasSunthas Member Posts: 27

I've run guilds in the past. I don't ever want to run guilds again. 

I love the idea that all characters are autojoined to one guild. I just think if your going to have a guild based system it should allow you to be in all guilds at once and chat with all at once and be online in all at once. And if thats how it works then we could probably make this system work. 

If however whatever tag/influence you assign to a guild for the moment is the one that you can speak with and you cant see who is online on your other guilds or chat with them without flipping the tag and missing out on your other guild than this system seems troublesome.

Joining 3 or 4 guilds with PVE, PVP, RolePlay, and Friends focus seems fantastic but only if you can have all 4 at the same time. Different chat channels on or off as you desire. Otherwise I just want a huge guild and a friends guild, and anytime my huge guild is being annoying I'll just swap tags to my friend guild. Keeping up with events for one guild is hard enough, 3 or 4 would be next to impossible. 

Originally posted by Sunthas

I've run guilds in the past. I don't ever want to run guilds again. 

I love the idea that all characters are autojoined to one guild. I just think if your going to have a guild based system it should allow you to be in all guilds at once and chat with all at once and be online in all at once. And if thats how it works then we could probably make this system work. 

If however whatever tag/influence you assign to a guild for the moment is the one that you can speak with and you cant see who is online on your other guilds or chat with them without flipping the tag and missing out on your other guild than this system seems troublesome.

Joining 3 or 4 guilds with PVE, PVP, RolePlay, and Friends focus seems fantastic but only if you can have all 4 at the same time. Different chat channels on or off as you desire. Otherwise I just want a huge guild and a friends guild, and anytime my huge guild is being annoying I'll just swap tags to my friend guild. Keeping up with events for one guild is hard enough, 3 or 4 would be next to impossible. 

Imagine the chaos :D 10 chat tabs scrolling everywhere... personal messages...invites...angry officers/leaders.... :D

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

just read on GW2Guru that a character can be apart of multiple guilds? how is that going to work and doesn't that seem to go against the whole idea of guilds in the first place?

Most people are in multiple guilds already, so this mirrors how people play MMOs just within a particular MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by waynejr2

+1

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by bongolin

"Loyal guild members" will be loyal until they don't want to be in the guild anymore and they will leave/switch. Same with the rest "not loyal". They will move from guild to guild, no matter howmany guilds they can join.

At the end, we have the usual guild situation + more options. Yet another Anet presentation of their "player must have options" philosophy.

I agree with the people on the GW2guru forum asking for tools to see what guilds an app is apart of. As a guild leader who guild will be an exclusive guild it will make my job a lot easier.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by waynejr2

+1

yeah +1. That and alliance system between guilds kind of work well for PvP purposes.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Different guilds do different things.  This was a fantastic feature in FFXI.

People just have to get over the "it's my guild and fuck everyone else" mentality.  I'm pretty disgusted with that aspect to be honest. 

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I think lots of people are looking at this the wrong way.

What system does, is that it will create more competition about being a good guild. I think there are lots of people like myself, who just wants to hang out with cool people, who don't care most about the perks of the guild. 

I think people will browse through guilds until they find one with the same mentality as them, and then they will stay there, unless they have dedicated purposes.

Example - Im playing GW2 with 8 of my really good friends. We're making a guild together. 8 other friends are casual players but when we are on together, we play together. It's fun. However I play more than them. So often I am alone. Either i invite non RL friends, which is weird, or I leave my RL friends which is also weird.

This was a problem in past.

Here I can swap, over to my PvP guild. its nothing but PvP gain and grinding for pvp gear. no biggie. I know these are different people, and they wont bother me with requests unless I am representing them. If one of my RL friends come online, I check my friends list, and swap guilds. And I am back.

I might have a third guild, which is a casual guild. its one of those levelling guilds full of people lamenting chuck norris jokes, while 60 elementalists are making it rain fireballs, while singing "fire in the rain" by adele on ventrillo, and everyone are having a good time.

People will settle down eventually. I don't see how anyone will want to swap around 10 guilds. you wouldnt do that. human beings are creatures of habits. if you want to retain players, then be an awesome guild leader. dont whine because you cant scapegoat them into staying with you because you spend so much time organizing the guild. thats just petty.

It's a great system, because the most fun guilds will win. the best communities will prevail. 

I agree with the people on the GW2guru forum asking for tools to see what guilds an app is apart of. As a guild leader who guild will be an exclusive guild it will make my job a lot easier.

Why? To kick all players who are "not loyal"?

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

so i can prevent those who are in other guilds from joining mine, my guild plans to be an "exclusive" guild. i would like to know what other guilds someone is in without having to spy on them.

I feel bad for anyone who thinks them being guild leader constitutes it being a "job".

I hope such tools will not be implanted. But I guess it will be visible if you search for a player or add that player to friends list, and then see what guild he is at all times. I guess that way you could see. 

Maybe there will be some sort of elitism or stimatization about it too. That would suck pretty hard. elitism in pvp acceptence was a big problem in gw1, when people didnt want to play with someone below a certain rank.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Kalfer

I feel bad for anyone who thinks them being guild leader constitutes it being a "job".

I hope such tools will not be implanted. But I guess it will be visible if you search for a player or add that player to friends list, and then see what guild he is at all times. I guess that way you could see. 

Maybe there will be some sort of elitism or stimatization about it too. That would suck pretty hard. elitism in pvp acceptence was a big problem in gw1, when people didnt want to play with someone below a certain rank.

Well, since influence is such an important RvRvR mechanic, why shouldn't a guild leader want some loyalty?

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

so i can prevent those who are in other guilds from joining mine, my guild plans to be an "exclusive" guild. i would like to know what other guilds someone is in without having to spy on them.

I guess you will have fun, alone :)

I guess you will have fun, alone :)

I spitted out my cherry soda all over my keyboard from laughing so hard. 

/Foreveralone in my gw2 keep

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Kalfer

Well, since influence is such an important RvRvR mechanic, why shouldn't a guild leader want some loyalty?

It just seems counter-intuitive to what this games about. You make it sound like WoW-raid loyalty of so called hardcore people who take the game super seriously with dreams of being "world first" and all that jazz.

The game seems more about being fun than snooping into what people want to do. after all this game allows you experience the end game levelling content almost instantly if you so choose. The developers don't seem to care. They just want people to play together. Not to create this super demanding hardcore time consuming gameplay mentality. I'm sure there will be some hardcore pvp guilds though. Good for them. This system will probably weed out the "non loyal" as they seem to be called regardless of snooping mechanics!:)

I think WvW is about an entire server coming together, and I think the game will allow people to play together in meaningful ways without being guilded and/or grouped.