Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of buying game..

2»

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by goldiewilson

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by zareon

Wondering if it's worth buying? i heard a lot of negative feed back about this game, but just like every mmo i suppose..

Also is there a way i can purchase via download? similar to D2D?

Is a great game, and it will be better after the 1.2 update. mmorpg is full of hater and gw2 fanboys, so this is not a good place to ask for advice.

LOL this is not a great game, don't listen to the fanboys zareon they would play ANY star wars game and say it was the second coming of Christ. At Best get a trial key, but don't get stuck in an actual account with EA games, chances are once you hit level 30 you will already be bored with the game. Also most of the GW2 fans are one the GW2 Guru site so thats another lie, this site was filled, I mean filled with angry pro SWTOR fanboys who were bashing every game on this forum, until their game actually came out they realized it sucked and abandoned ship, the only ones left are the most dedicated victims of brainwashing.

This game gets negative feedback for a reason, its not coming from websites, its coming from players.

Great game my ass.

And again, you don't need to listen to any of them!

Ask for a Free trail make up your own decision on the game. If you don't like it then you saved yourself some $$ and QQ.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

If you want to enjoy the game more than others have then do the following;

1. Play after 1.2 release, so there are many people playing in the new areas as you

2. Join a guild, or play with a group of friends, and this makes the game much more enjoyable. This game does a good job with cinematics, and to enjoy the game, you must try to milk the focus of the game, and that is the story.

3. Play it on a large screen, a T.V., so it becomes like watching a movie during the cut scenes, and enjoy the dark side and light side options to your quest

4. Read before hand about each planets holocrons location, or if you are a true explorer then just find them yourselve. Datacrons are fun to get, and sometimes too challenging with jumping platforms. Advice on jumping: walking with ( / forward slash) to jump a small distance, or without sprint, or using arrow keys in the air to adjust distance and postiion slightly, and also jumping and then moving forward.

5. Pvp at lvl 10, there is a boltser system

6. Space pvp for fast exp by doing dailies

7. heroics/Flash points with guild

8. Choose a crafting system that you can share with your friends, and try to have an exhange with each other. Edit, biochem is not necessarily the best since other crafts offer other abilties for pvp, while everyone can buy stims, adrenals, and medpacs. So with other crafts you can have more utility, but it costs more to not have biochem.

9. playing alts when you reach a point you dont find fun in the lvling with pvp, story, side quests etc. Playing an alt will give a new approach with a new setting and playstyle and most likely a new starter planet. Also the benefit of playing an alt is that you get rest exp on your previous character, so when you go back to them it is easier to get to the next planet, or the next part in your story by lvling faster and not having to do things just to get exp.

10. Rest in the cantina all the time, get good gear, buy med pacs (or make them with biochem), stims, and adrenals for bosses which are a bit too tough or maybe for pvp

Over all the game is fun even if you are not a star wars fan, but it requires the right setting to increase the fun with any MMO and thats with the player base making it more interesting.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

If I knew what I know now before I bought the game, I would not have bought it.  As people have mentioned, it's a matter of personal preference, but aren't all entertainment products?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by killion81

If I knew what I know now before I bought the game, I would not have bought it.  As people have mentioned, it's a matter of personal preference, but aren't all entertainment products?

Not on these boards! It's either something wrong with the gener or developers.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Level 1-49 pretty much feels like a single player game, most of the time. There is very little challenge (if any) at those levels. If you are in it for the story you might want to give it a go. But I would wait until another free weekend pass comes along. You can check the status of that either through the official website announcement or check here from time to time:

http://www.swtor.com/weekendpass

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400211

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

It's really that bad huh ? :(

No, it's not.  It's actually quite good, depending on what kind of game you are looking for.  Do you still enjoy themepark MMOs?  Then this game is very good.  Don't listen to the haters.  They didn't enjoy it.  Doesn't mean you won't.  Game has over a million and a half subscribers currently, so obviously somebody out there likes it.

At the very worst...and I mean worst...you can play the game as a single player story-driven rpg to level cap and more than get your money's worth.  

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Painlezz

Rule of thumb...

Never ever listen to anyones opinion on this site.  Everyone is a troll!

However, the opinions of others are more or less wrong.  I won't tell you if the game is good or not, but 60 dollars will give you more hours of entertainment in SW TOR than just about ANYWHERE else you could spend it.

Movies?  That'll get you 4-5 shows @ 90 minutes a show

Bar?  60 bucks will last you a night at best

Dinner out?  Unless you eat at McDonalds, 60 bucks might get you 2-3 meals

Skydriving?  Cost you way more for 1 trip

I think you get my point?  60 bucks will get you at least a week of solid gaming out of this title and thats more than you can expect from just about anything else. 

People are right about one thing, if you're looking for a world to spend the next 6 years in, this is not the game for you. 

I am sick and tired of hearing this lame argument.

For the same ~ $60, you can have 8 months of Nexflix or Hulu which will get you a megaton more hours of enjoyment. Same with a subscription to Pandora or satelite radio. Or 40 redbox movies. Or 3-5 slightly older single player titles on sale at Steam or other sites. Or several months rental to any of the game rental sites.

So what is your point?

TOR, for many people was not worth the money and didn't get through their "free" month.

To say that TOR is cheaper than sky diving means what exactly? Is it ok to pay $60 for yet another shallow MMO because it is cheaper than a night at a bar?

It is this same attitude that has empowered developers with the knowledge that it is "ok" for them to put out any old crap, because certain customers (like you, apparently) will buy it and keep buying it anyway.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Shubawkss

I agree with the above poster.

I was level 50 in 2 weeks of casual play - I found it boring, nothing to really do except some instances/raids and repeatable missions that were tetious rather than fun and enjoying. Unless you're playing with a large group of people that can always get together to play - save money for something else.

no you weren't

I'd buy SW:TOR and check it out if I were you, OP.  You'll get at least a month's enjoyment out of it, provided you don't mind playing the same sort of game you've probably been playing since WoW was released.  The leveling is probably done better than any other themepark MMORPG out there or it's at least on par with WoW.  The story-based questing goes a long way to disguising the grind.  The only issue I have with questing though is all the running between quest areas.  You'll notice it early on, but it gest REALLY bad when you get to areas like Tatooine and Hoth.  The game worlds are simply large just for the sake of being large, which means for no real reason you're just running around a lot of empty areas that look the same as every other area.

Endgame is where things fall apart.  There's not much there unless you re-roll a different class, and what is there is pretty buggy.  Either way, if you get a month out of it, I'd say that's 50 dollars well spent.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Wait for a free trial to see if you like it. You are the best to determine if it's for you. Don't listen or worry about what anyone says on this site.

*** Raving Rabbid fires a plunger at CCP for not permabanning Mittani and not allocating more resources to WOD!!!!!! *****

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

Try it before you decide to buy or not to buy.

Its a good game for what it is. I and two others played quite much since launch, and had a ton of fun. Our journey to 50 was very entertaining. The problem was, that we were too fast and hit cap pretty fast on our server which made it hard to find groups. We tried many FP on ourselfs (3) and well we litterally cried when we wiped (well, almost ^^), and cheered when we finally did it.

But In the end the repetive daily quest/FP grind was just not enough. Plus, the PvP, which i considered as a fun in theory, was not an option. (ability delay, baaaad perormance no matter what, Illum ...sucks.)

However, i will try it out in the future again.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Arguably a good but not brilliant single player game but one you can only play for 30 days unless you subscribe - unlike Skyrim, for example.

Also, arguably, a poor mmo. And people got to max level in under 3 days. Bioware have also said that crafting wasn't what they intended, PvP wasn't as intended, and have had an event to make the world feel more alive. This is Bioware that has said these things.

And if you do check out the reviews factor in that it got 'high marks' for graphics which didn't make it into the final release - so much for reviewers assuming the game would 'improve' prior to release.

The lack of replies to your questions and this forum in general so soon after the game has launched speaks volumes.

New content will come - but slowly; the voice over acting, according to Bioware, takes a lot of time. Quarterly content drops - and 1.2's lack of new content, nerfs, and 'tampering' (as some see it) with the mythos is upsetting a lot of folks.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

good luck

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

If you are looking for actual reviews on this game, STAY OFF THIS FORUM!!!  All they do is cry like sissy girls.  About ALL games.  They like nothing. 

Seriously, I come here every few days hoping things get better.  But they don't.....but it's good for a laugh.

Here's my opinion....do with it what you will....

Play the game. You will enjoy it. Even if you play for only a few months, that is worth the game price. Most people shell out 50-60 bucks for a game they play once or twice.  If you get bored, cancel and move on to something you do enjoy.  PLEASE refrain from posting here about how you hate the game you don't play....and try to convince everyone not to play it as well.

That just makes you look like a douchebag.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The game is fun for about a month.  There's a lot of basic features we have come to expect in mmos that are not there yet.  If you're going to play I'd wait till those are implemented.  For example, guild tab and friends list was bugged.  A lot of times people were on but the UI was indicating they were not on.  There's no guild bank.  The auctionhouse is very poorly implemented and buggy.  Bad UI design.

My light side points got bugged and I couldn't advance any further, which sucks because you need to reach certain levels in light side points to unlock things in the game.  They said they were working to resolve my issue but it was not resolved before my subscription ran out so I cancelled.

To me it seems like a sinking ship.  Out of my entire guild by the end of my few months playing, there was only two other people around.  The game is heavily instanced if that matters to you, and except for seeing folks in war zones or on the space station you will hardly see anyone in the game, not because they are not there (maybe) but how they designed the game.

The story and voice over is great at first but after awhile it does feel like bla bla bla....bla bla bla bla bla. 

But don't trust me, play the game and see for yourself.  Maybe you will come to a different conclusion.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Darklighter1

If you are looking for actual reviews on this game, STAY OFF THIS FORUM!!!  All they do is cry like sissy girls.  About ALL games.  They like nothing. 

Seriously, I come here every few days hoping things get better.  But they don't.....but it's good for a laugh.

Play the game. You will enjoy it. Even if you play for only a few months, that is worth the game price. Most people shell out 50-60 bucks for a game they play once or twice.  If you get bored, cancel and move on to something you do enjoy.  PLEASE refrain from posting here about how you hate the game you don't play....and try to convince everyone not to play it as well.

What... because people will actually criticisize the game they are douchebags?  Funny how prior advocates were  rampent around the forums praising the game this and that n then the tables have turned, general consensus is massive dissapointnment.  Argueable "paid* reviews rate the game in 8.5 on avg and yet Metacritic user reviews are settling at 5.7.... who is to be believed more?  Some reviewer that many considered as paid reviews, either directly or indirectly, or by users who bought the game, played it weeks or months at times and gave out their 2 cents and reviews?  Hell even your long time advocates even threw in their towel like DarkPony and you never hear from other advocates.

50-60 bucks is fresh on the market games while a lot of good games can be bought at a fraction of that price, not to mention once you tally up subs you're more looking at 100+ bucks for a boorish MMO what people call a CoOp SRPG than an MMO.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

It's really that bad huh ? :(

No, it's not.  It's actually quite good, depending on what kind of game you are looking for.  Do you still enjoy themepark MMOs?  Then this game is very good.  Don't listen to the haters.  They didn't enjoy it.  Doesn't mean you won't.  Game has over a million and a half subscribers currently, so obviously somebody out there likes it.

At the very worst...and I mean worst...you can play the game as a single player story-driven rpg to level cap and more than get your money's worth.  

Except the fact your number quote as the launch numbers which no MMO in history has ever maintained launch numers, maybe WoW but not sure even they maintained their sub numbers and it took many months before surpassing their launch numbers.  All indications are that subs are way below lauch numbers.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by Darklighter1

What... because people will actually criticisize the game they are douchebags?  Funny how prior advocates were  rampent around the forums praising the game this and that n then the tables have turned, general consensus is massive dissapointnment.  Argueable "paid* reviews rate the game in 8.5 on avg and yet Metacritic user reviews are settling at 5.7.... who is to be believed more?  Some reviewer that many considered as paid reviews, either directly or indirectly, or by users who bought the game, played it weeks or months at times and gave out their 2 cents and reviews?  Hell even your long time advocates even threw in their towel like DarkPony and you never hear from other advocates.

50-60 bucks is fresh on the market games while a lot of good games can be bought at a fraction of that price, not to mention once you tally up subs you're more looking at 100+ bucks for a boorish MMO what people call a CoOp SRPG than an MMO.

World of Warcraft has a 93 reviewer metacritic and yet the user reviews are setting a 6.9.  That game must actually suck all the reviewers were paid etc etc etc

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

SWTOR is a good game but like every game out there, it won't be to everyones taste. Same as some people absolutely love eve online and others don't. I purchased dragonage after alot were raving about how great it was yet I found it a bore.

My suggestion is play the game for yourself as its the only way you will know if you like it or not.

• JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Got a friend to give me a 7 day trial, client is download atm.

I was never a star wars fan or anything, was more into the EQ type mmo's but im looking for a new game, not much mmo's out there aswell.. so i had to try something different. I was checking YouTube videos of the game and the pvp, looks pretty fun to me, im sure the player base is still stable with over 1.5 million subs.

I'll give it a try, if i like it, i'll continue playing, if not then.. i'll just wait for another mmo to come out (TSW)

Lets hope this gets me hooked, it really does look fun based on the videos and gameplay footages on YouTube.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

SWTOR is basically Warhammer Online but with lightsabers.  If you compare the two games mechanics wise, you will find that they are very similar.  It makes sense because Mythic worked on both games and I have a feeling during the production stage of SWTOR, there were certain things that Mythic would say "Oh we know exactly how to implement that.  We'll handle it".

Unfortunately Warhammer Online was mediocre and Mythic is no longer a reputable developer.  The only thing that really shines in SWTOR is the story telling - and that is because Bioware controlled that aspect of the game.  But even then, you will probably find yourself skipping most of the story telling at one point, as a large majority of the community did.  Everything else is mediocre: The gameplay, the warzones, the pvp, the pve, the quest, the polish, the crafting, ect.

I would give the game a 6/10.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Wondering if it's worth buying? i heard a lot of negative feed back about this game, but just like every mmo i suppose..

Since some people love it and some don't, you should decide for yourself I think. I've played games other people have thought were pants and had fun and other's everyone has raved about have made me think hu?!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Most people seem to think (according to what I've read here) that the box price is worth the first month of play. I agree. I got a lot of fun out of the first 30 days and don't regret buying the game. Community opinion seems to be extremely divided after that first month when it's time to decide if you want to sub or not. 

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I played for a while. 50 bounty hunter and 43 shadow. Its a fun leveling game. It really is. It lacks in the endgame department though. Daily quests and pvp grinding are just not my thing these days. But it could be yours, who knows. I say spend the money, you'll get at least 75 hours out of it. And thats as many hours as a good RPG, with the same price tag.

I played for two months, it would seem thats worth 60 dollars.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Painlezz

Rule of thumb...

Never ever listen to anyones opinion on this site.  Everyone is a troll!

However, the opinions of others are more or less wrong.  I won't tell you if the game is good or not, but 60 dollars will give you more hours of entertainment in SW TOR than just about ANYWHERE else you could spend it.

Movies?  That'll get you 4-5 shows @ 90 minutes a show

Bar?  60 bucks will last you a night at best

Dinner out?  Unless you eat at McDonalds, 60 bucks might get you 2-3 meals

Skydriving?  Cost you way more for 1 trip

I think you get my point?  60 bucks will get you at least a week of solid gaming out of this title and thats more than you can expect from just about anything else. 

People are right about one thing, if you're looking for a world to spend the next 6 years in, this is not the game for you. 

Yep true you just went tp the vanguard saga of heros forum and trolled it,  amd for no reason at all, just to troll. Shame on you~!

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by ignore_me

I'm going to say that honestly you should wait a year. By that time the nature of the game will be pretty well set. You will have more content, and the bugs/bad systems should be gone.

This is true for all MMOs IMO.

This site is frequented by a disproportionate amount of sandbox gamers, and themepark games draw their ire. Thus you need to decide which side of the fence you fall upon. If you prefer sandbox mechanics(Trader created loot vs MOB dropped loot, PVP focused, open worlds to build houses), then chances are you wont like it.

If your thing is PVE content, and you like other BW games, then there is a good chance you will enjoy this game.

I happen to like the game, but what interests you isnt something I can tell ya. That is something you need to decide for yourself when it pertains to what focus you enjoy out of your MMO gaming.

If themeparks arent your thing, then I would suggest checking out games like EVE, or the  TBA launch date of ArcheAge. GL in your search.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.