Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online - No Permadeath

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 357

Just saying... if you want a game like Salem and H&H, Wurm Online is already out :) 

That said.  I LOVE PERMADEATH!

 

Who else thinks permadeath should be in every game?

Comments

  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,239

    permadeath makes little sense outside PvP games. Due to the nature of PvE, permadeath doesnt work very well.

    image

  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

    Perma-death is cool and all... until you die from something stupid.

    I was enjoying H&H until I lagged out hard in an area that was unfortunately too close to a bear...

    I wasn't even mad, I just shrugged and stopped playing the game.

  • hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

    Totally different games. H&H is much more about exploration, while Wurm is much more about doing repetitive things around one place mostly ...

  • daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 357

    Wurm is only repetetive if you try to play it alone.  If you play with a group of friends you get things done SO much quicker that you can actually DO other things.    You really have to try it with a group of friends. 

  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

    Why don't you discuss Wurm online in the Wurm online forums instead?

    This thread is a lame attempt at advertising, if you ask me.

  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

    Originally posted by daveospice

     

     Who else thinks permadeath should be in every game?

    Probably less than 1% of the gaming population, that's who.  Permadeath is an awful idea for an MMO, even if implemented correctly.

  • hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

    In one of the Salem videos there was a good point "when you loose nothing when you die - you dont know what you have". And permadeth is present only in real life, in games you only loose time spent on skills/items. Same in Salem, H&H, EVE itc.

  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

    Originally posted by Hardsun79

    In one of the Salem videos there was a good point "when you loose nothing when you die - you dont know what you have". And permadeth is present only in real life, in games you only loose time spent on skills/items. Same in Salem, H&H, EVE itc.

    i quite agree, though perma death in games means the time spent on the character is lost. alot of gamers treat the loss of a character even if they only played it 30 seconds as too much to bare in a game.

    i'v died 3 times in heaven and hearth, not sure how many times i have died in battlefiled 1942 lol, perma death while a pain in the ass does give an element alot of risk/reward that alot of pvp based non-perma death games dont have. 

    how it will work in salam though is anyones guess.. i do know zerg doesnt work, as it does not look like it works in HnH. takes too long to get a zerg group going to pvp in a perma death game. 

    that said, i quite agree with you, the only thing lost when you die in a perma death game is time and effort. 

  • daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 357

    permadeath works on  some games.  For example, Diablo 2 was a lot of fun with hardcore mode.  In my opinion Hell Gate London was ONLY fun in hardcore.  Rarely does permadeath actually work in a PVP setting.  There will always be someone higher level, and it will have nothing to do with your skill as a player and you will simply just die and have to start over which is a frustrating experience.

     

  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

    Perma death would be good  if its done right, now if you die every time and its permadeath I don't see the point, I think a game needs to be careful, I been desiging a game that involves Permadeath, what it would include is something from the wild west where you would have hangings, the only time some could be Permadeath is if they where hung, they would though have a new character a kid, and start as that and get there belongings so they do not lose everything. To be Perma death they would have to be rotten grifer and be caught... So I think if someone does this right in a game like I been studying the effects of Perma death in a game, it really matters how you do it.,

     

    If you have Permadeath setup every time you die I would find that to be bad because you could lag, disconnect etc that would piss people off, now if you use Permadeath based on your actions then I think it would work something similiar to what I been designing for a game, I nearly have my Degree in Game design so I study different styles of gaming play mechanics, and combat etc, to see what works and what does not, I also try and see what people like ,dislike....So Devs need to be careful with permadeath in games. But I think it needs to be added in our new games we need new mechanics we also need to see some of  the older style mechanics mixed in,we need to move away from the EQ, WOW forumla, people are sick of it ...

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,680

    Originally posted by daveospice

     

    Who else thinks permadeath should be in every game?

    we have enough trying to prolong the time before our permadeath comes in real life. Dont need that in video games too...

    i dont support permadeath, much less if i have to pay for the game.





  • MelquisedecMelquisedec Member Posts: 12

    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

    Perma death would be good  if its done right, now if you die every time and its permadeath I don't see the point, I think a game needs to be careful, I been desiging a game that involves Permadeath, what it would include is something from the wild west where you would have hangings, the only time some could be Permadeath is if they where hung, they would though have a new character a kid, and start as that and get there belongings so they do not lose everything. To be Perma death they would have to be rotten grifer and be caught... So I think if someone does this right in a game like I been studying the effects of Perma death in a game, it really matters how you do it.,

     

    If you have Permadeath setup every time you die I would find that to be bad because you could lag, disconnect etc that would piss people off, now if you use Permadeath based on your actions then I think it would work something similiar to what I been designing for a game, I nearly have my Degree in Game design so I study different styles of gaming play mechanics, and combat etc, to see what works and what does not, I also try and see what people like ,dislike....So Devs need to be careful with permadeath in games. But I think it needs to be added in our new games we need new mechanics we also need to see some of  the older style mechanics mixed in,we need to move away from the EQ, WOW forumla, people are sick of it ...

    I agree, permadeath can be done, if done properly. But i think it will also requires a games with a very open gameplay, and an emphasis on immersion, grow of characters driven world and sociability, so permadeath even when real will be avoided..

  • AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143

    This thread should be renamed. Wurm Online has nothing to do with Salem.

  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

    Originally posted by rojo6934

    Originally posted by daveospice



     

    Who else thinks permadeath should be in every game?

    we have enough trying to prolong the time before our permadeath comes in real life. Dont need that in video games too...

    i dont support permadeath, much less if i have to pay for the game.

    Prolong our own ir real life?

     

    Yes i bet everyone would like to be part of the furniture at 99 years old  i wouldnt even want to be 70/75+

     

This discussion has been closed.