Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arche Age and a NA release date?

Comments

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by salenger

I have been following this game for two years and there has been no information at all, in  regards to the north american release date..Im begining to wonder if AA will turn into one of these titles that will get release in Asia, and 2-3 years later we see a English NA version of the game.  It is annoying that we on a daily basis see screens from the Beta but still years after it was announced for an NA version have heard very little about its release.  2012 is the asian release and news on NA or opinions on when we could see it?

I have a feeling that if Arche Age doesnt hit the NA market before q2/3 2013 then its bound to fail with the amount of sandbox games that are due out within the next 1-2 years.

Heres to hoping we get some information on the NA version sooner than later.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you on the launch dates, I know alot of people that if they didn't get inworld within the first 6mo-1year then they probably wouldn't play it.

I know I still would, but most people don't like the idea of starting a year + behind.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I have been following this game for two years and there has been no information at all, in  regards to the north american release date..Im begining to wonder if AA will turn into one of these titles that will get release in Asia, and 2-3 years later we see a English NA version of the game.  It is annoying that we on a daily basis see screens from the Beta but still years after it was announced for an NA version have heard very little about its release.  2012 is the asian release and news on NA or opinions on when we could see it?

I have a feeling that if Arche Age doesnt hit the NA market before q2/3 2013 then its bound to fail with the amount of sandbox games that are due out within the next 1-2 years.

What 2013 Sandboxes are getting released next year?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

You guys telling me I'm wrong you have yet to name ONE game that was released in the east and lived up to the hype in the west.  It doesnt exist not with FFXI or L2 both NICHE games with NICHE playerbases.   If the game isn't made for NA it wont work for NA we want different things and thinking you can change a games core to fit an audience you didnt make it for is ignorant of the developer and the proof is there look how bad Tera preorders are in the west look at Aion.

Oh and the fact you called Rift buggy is lol that game was the most polished MMO at release in the last 10 years.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by William12

You guys telling me I'm wrong you have yet to name ONE game that was released in the east and lived up to the hype in the west.  It doesnt exist not with FFXI or L2 both NICHE games with NICHE playerbases.   If the game isn't made for NA it wont work for NA we want different things and thinking you can change a games core to fit an audience you didnt make it for is ignorant of the developer and the proof is there look how bad Tera preorders are in the west look at Aion.

Oh and the fact you called Rift buggy is lol that game was the most polished MMO at release in the last 10 years.

No game developed in the west has lived up to its hype in the west. Not WoW, not rift none of em.

XI did just fine in NA, niche(i agree its for a niche crowd) or not, and it is one of the highest grossing MMO's of all time, as for Lineage series it rank right up there in the top 5, probably higher than XI, Which just goes to show you dont need the NA playerbase to have a highly sucessfull MMO. Far as that is concerned, WoW is the only NA developed MMO that ranks in the top 5 profiting MMO's of all time. 

The majority of the NA playerbase now is far to fickle and far to ADHD to please. WoW's success will never be duplicated, to much compitition now.  NA mmo's have a life spam of 60-90 days before they taper off to their own little nich group. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by Zylaxx

People have been speculating about AA for a while.  I am of the opinion it never sees the NA market.  I can not believe it has not found a publisher already.

Of course it will find a NA publisher. They are still making the game. Why would they start to place emphasis on finding a publisher now?

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

First of all there is always a exception of the rule. Secondly, ArcheAge may be very different from all other game releases from the eastern market, and i will tell you why.

Once upon a time, there was a MMOPRG played all over the world, very popular in the West and in the East, japanese businessmen played it to train their soical skills and so on and so forth.. and that game was called Ultima Online.

But for whatever reason after Ultima Online EverQuest was released, and also quit popular in the West, especially at their time because of the 3D graphic(Ultima Online was 2D, or 3D isometric), and all most all games in the West followed the design paradigm of EverQuest(which was quite different to UO, EQ got level grind, item grind, big raids and all those stuff, UO not) and in the East they followed more or less the Lineage 1 design paradigm(also different from UO)

But know one developer thought how cool, innovative and completely different UO was, and ahead of the time, and so decided to develop a new game, with the design paradigm from UO and their experience from the MMOs of the last 5 years. And so ArcheAge development started from a eastern developer, following the design paradigm from an ancient western MMO. We will see how it turn out, but from all what i can say, it may be as successful in the west as in the east as old UO was at their time.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Apraxis

First of all there is always a exception of the rule. Secondly, ArcheAge may be very different from all other game releases from the eastern market, and i will tell you why.

Once upon a time, there was a MMOPRG played all over the world, very popular in the West and in the East, japanese businessmen played it to train their soical skills and so on and so forth.. and that game was called Ultima Online.

But for whatever reason after Ultima Online EverQuest was released, and also quit popular in the West, especially at their time because of the 3D graphic(Ultima Online was 2D, or 3D isometric), and all most all games in the West followed the design paradigm of EverQuest(which was quite different to UO, EQ got level grind, item grind, big raids and all those stuff, UO not) and in the East they followed more or less the Lineage 1 design paradigm(also different from UO)

But know one developer thought how cool, innovative and completely different UO was, and ahead of the time, and so decided to develop a new game, with the design paradigm from UO and their experience from the MMOs of the last 5 years. And so ArcheAge development started from a eastern developer, following the design paradigm from an ancient western MMO. We will see how it turn out, but from all what i can say, it may be as successful in the west as in the east as old UO was at their time.

Sure, UO did everything right.  People, don't let this guy blow smoke up your ...  UO at it's peak didn't have to complete with a hundred mmorpgs.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

NA/EU publishers should pull their heads out of their asses.

Archeage is a goldmine. Although at the moment it's a high risk high reward title and I'm not sure if anyone is willing to take this risk at this state of the economical unstability.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

We don't even know if it has a publisher or not, it might have that just not public yet.

Originally posted by Kuro1n

We don't even know if it has a publisher or not, it might have that just not public yet.

Well if there was one I'm quite sure they'd spill the beans asap. People will start saving money for the extra-special-hardwoodbox-collectors-edition-with-ship-model-included the very moment it has a publisher.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I will wait patiently for glorious Archeage to find itself a publisher.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

whats it take to be a publisher? just curious? is it money? computer skills? a development team to westernize the language?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Myrdynn

whats it take to be a publisher? just curious? is it money? computer skills? a development team to westernize the language?

You need to have quite alot of money , want to take risks + have some time to assemble team to westernize game & do good proper marketing.

Oh and you need viable business plan or course. 

I might missed something as well.

Anyway don't think anything publisher-wise will be 'signed' & made ready before AA will release in Korea.

Think any western publisher will want to see how AA will fare there , how finished game version look like and I think how well (or bad) AA will do may have big impact on publish rights price and terms (just one time pay , or some upfront payment & royalities ,or rather % of revenue or something else ,etc).

While AA show great promise and I am waiting for it I seriously doubt it have chance to be relaased in west before Q4 2013.

Especially that 2012 is incredibly mmorpg release heavy and bringing yet another title in let's say late 2012 or early 2013 would be hmm unwise imo.

Well first and foremost you need money (investors) and a contract with XLGames about publishing the game. Once you have investors/contract you can start your company and collect all the required personel (Communications/Marketing/Development Team/Server management/Public Relations/Human Resources/Customer Service) and of course you need a base of operations with all the required hardware/software/bandwith etc..

I have no personal experience about this but I'd suppose it's quite tricky making a valid contract with a korean company not to mention having a healthy relationship with the developers of the game so you can successfully run your service in the region. Of course it takes a lot more work an resources starting from a scratch. But one potential publisher could be Enmasse if Tera launches out nicely and actually makes them profit ^^

Of course serious company would make market research about the game, I assume you'd need about 500-1mil subscribers for a P2P to make reasonable profit.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

thanks was just curious if it was something that maybe we could kickstart but unlikely

Originally posted by Myrdynn

thanks was just curious if it was something that maybe we could kickstart but unlikely

Probably not :)

"In the month of September 2010, a new contract was announced between XL Games and Tencent to publish the game in China. This generated much attention as it was worth from $50 to $60 million USD; making it the second largest deal recorded in Korean gaming exports, behind NCSoft's deal with Shanda for Aion. Later on November 10, 2010, another contract was signed to provide exclusive publishing rights through GigaMedia to make ArcheAge available in other Chinese-speaking regions such as Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.[5]"

Jake Song also left NCSoft to create XLGames so I doubt NCSoft would publish the game in NA/EU. o(

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by waynejr2

Sure, UO did everything right.  People, don't let this guy blow smoke up your ...  UO at it's peak didn't have to complete with a hundred mmorpgs.

Yeap. And and you didnt have to pay nowadays 600$/month like back then without internet flatrate. And not 10 Millions of people playing games in and over the internet. All that is true, other times, other circumstances. And i never claimed UO was faultless, you can improve on everything, and nothing is perfect.

BUT, UO did a lot of things right, and a lot of those things have not done for a long time. And, my post was not about good or bad MMO designs, it was about Eastern and Western design, and that ArcheAge could be successful in the West, because they follow a design paradigm of an old Western Game. Thats it. And yes.. hundreds of quality mmos, i just ask myself why i didnt enjoyed one of them in the last five years. Well, maybe its just me, maybe not. ;)

Edit: And i didnt enjoy one Eastern MMO. You could even call me an Asian MMO hater. I just hate grinding, and those games were mostly about grinding, extensive grinding. But nevertheless i am interested in ArcheAge, why could it be?

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

When you know that XLgames sold the publishing rights to the chinese for a record 50 million dollars, you have a better understanding of why there isn't a western publisher yet.

Western publishers are too broke for this one or just don't see it as a viable investment, given the current low popularity of both korean games and sandbox games in the west.

What's more likely to happen is XLgames will publish it themselves in NA/EU, they already have a branch in the US so it's totally possible..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Charas

When you know that XLgames sold the publishing rights to the chinese for a record 50 million dollars, you have a better understanding of why there isn't a western publisher yet.

Western publishers are too broke for this one or just don't see it as a viable investment, given the current low popularity of both korean games and sandbox games in the west.

What's more likely to happen is XLgames will publish it themselves in NA/EU, they already have a branch in the US so it's totally possible..

Self-publish - yes I see it as a real possibility - though I would not expect it happen before 2013 or even early 2014. 

XL Games is still fresh company - AA their first title and they still have to finish game then release it , then it has to gain good enough position in Asia and then they will have enough funds + manforce to do western release.

Still considering that it is already 4/2012 and there is propably still CBT5 + 1-2 open betas ahead of AA release in Korea (so like 4-5 months still till release?) , late 2013 - early 2014 does not sound that late.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It will come to NA. Many games have been released in other countries even long after it's native release. What sucks the most about that is that they tend to be several patches behind the original due to translation and adaptations to the local marketing model.

You stay sassy!

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Well if there was one I'm quite sure they'd spill the beans asap. People will start saving money for the extra-special-hardwoodbox-collectors-edition-with-ship-model-included the very moment it has a publisher.

Only a bad publisher would do this, the gaming industry is just another industry and they will 'spill the beans' when it fits them best. Which is probably not 'asap'.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Charas

Self-publish - yes I see it as a real possibility - though I would not expect it happen before 2013 or even early 2014. 

XL Games is still fresh company - AA their first title and they still have to finish game then release it , then it has to gain good enough position in Asia and then they will have enough funds + manforce to do western release.

Still considering that it is already 4/2012 and there is propably still CBT5 + 1-2 open betas ahead of AA release in Korea (so like 4-5 months still till release?) , late 2013 - early 2014 does not sound that late.

thats too late :(

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by woza

While I agree that Asian markets are certainly viable in their own right, for people to start writing off the NA market as insignificant based on population is pretty dense.

When you look at the Asian market there are language issues all within the one zone.  Not everyone in asia speeks korean, or mandarin.  So the work that needs to be done to bring the game to NA has to basically be done for every country in the asian zone.

Converting the game to English however gets the game 90% ready for launch for practically 1/2 the world, and not only that, the affluent half where a lot more people have the disposable income to buy the game.  An English version works in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Western Europe and half of Eastern Europe and some of South Africa.

No, the relevance of the market is not the question, simply whether the market wants AA is the bigger question and what publishers are probably asking themselves right now.

Not to mention most of Asia speaks English now (and very well).  The Internet pretty much solitifed English as the "Worlds Langague".  I agree game should of been made in English First

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by grimfall

Not to mention MMO's don't fail or succeed based on bugs, or even a smooth launch.  Anarchy Online is all the proof you ever need to disprove that notion.

That was a different time...  I was having loads of fun with Vanguard at launch despite the bugs, and couldn't understand problems people were having with AoC at launch since it seemed fine to me.  And people even complained about SWTOR launch.  I am totally a SWTOR hater, but it's launch went just fine and I never had problems with bugs in that crappy game.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Thorbrand

You won't hear anything about a NA release or publisher until MMORPG.com wants a boost in their front page hype-o-meter.

Fixed. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky