Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canceled My Sub (Another Whiney post)

Comments

• BigLuvinBigLuvin Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Heh. The funny thing is that you have people saying how you can play SWTOR completely solo and how big of a problem that is and at the same time in the same thread people complaining about how some can't play most of the content because the lack of finding groups.

It pays to be a thoroughbred allround sceptic outsider and that I take all posts from everyone with a healthy dose grain of salt image

I think everyone will agree that the game is easy enough to do solo and most server populations now require you to do that now.  Basically you can skip heroics and level by alternative single player methods (because you have your companion) or instanced PvP.  Most people I knew got all of their gear through instanced PvP not flashpoints and raids which require groups.  The problem there is that a lot of server populations are diving so low that it's hard to even get said matches in an hour of queing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Heh. The funny thing is that you have people saying how you can play SWTOR completely solo and how big of a problem that is and at the same time in the same thread people complaining about how some can't play most of the content because the lack of finding groups.

It pays to be a thoroughbred allround sceptic outsider and that I take all posts from everyone with a healthy dose grain of salt image

Both kinda makes sense to me.

Most of us don't play a MMO to solo, we play them to be social. If I just want to solo I play a singleplayer game.

I don't think" it is great that you can solo most things since there are so few players" really is a good argument for anything.

Now, I think that it is good that there is some solo content in a MMO but if people can solo most of it that means it gets harderto find groups, many people who probably would like to get a group decides to solo since it is easier than wait for a group. Guildwars have the same issue now, when I started I always PUGed and had more fun but now I often solo stuff since it is so much work to find a group in many places.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Soopaman

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

thanks my friend, and yes I agree with you. SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO I had ever played.

If SWG was such a great game prior to pre NGE. Why did the game fail so badly. Its not like SWG was a great game. It had lots of problems that needed to be fixed. You cant compare the 2 because they are not the same.

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.
    If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

History lesson for you folks: SWG WAS doing fairly well between 2003-2004 (which had an upwards of 250-350K subs, at the time, 2nd highest populated MMO in the western world) but as of October 2004, subs basically got cut in half because of the World of Warcraft launch (and coincidentally, City of Heroes), JTL didn't save the bleeding subs, their publish 9 change actually made it easier for players to leave the game, John Smedley admitted that they would win back some of those WoW goers by making SWG like WoW (hence combat upgrade), he then outright lied during the CU phase that "the CU is here to stay" because 2 weeks later the NGE was leaked and everyone took it as a joke and Smedley/Torres announced the NGE which confirmed the leak, again an attempt to bring back WoW players. Smedley even admitted they were willing to lose existing players over the NGE to try and get new players in, stupid strategy if you ask me because it backfired.

TLDR: SWG was doing well 2003-2004, 2005 with combat upgrade was the start of the downfall and the NGE brought out the coffin ready to go. It was the company's mistake.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

Agree 100% I posted a review myself trying to be non bias and not whining. Yet some how people always seem to think because your writing a "Here is why I'm quiting speech"  feel it's a QQ or your just another sub that is a waste of time having around. If you were to post this on SWOTR Community site it would be locked instantly! The devs don't like when the truth is right in there face.

Just to mention also SWOTR Just admited on there community site there is only 1.2mill subs atm. They even tried to say that they were so "overwhelmed" with subs the other day they had to get additional help. Im going to call the "Shanigans Flag" on this one. For anyone doubting this game isn't going down hill fast go to the community site and look under general discussion. People are asking where are the merges? Or transfers? or the people?...I can honestly say it's Bad. I logged in last night to try and just do a 3 win daily and at 6p.m Est. on a East Coast server and it took 45mins to get half a que going for huttball... Save your money and just walk away from this game. I regret ever spending time or $$$ on it. Just another MMO that took our cash and ran with it. 

Also fanbois...Save your QQn this game will be dead like the rest of them in a few months. I wanted it to be more but when the Devs don't care and a company like EA is running things unless $$$$ is being made they don't want anyone working or improving s**t!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by sookster54

History lesson for you folks: SWG WAS doing fairly well between 2003-2004 (which had an upwards of 250-350K subs, at the time, 2nd highest populated MMO in the western world) but as of October 2004, subs basically got cut in half because of the World of Warcraft launch (and coincidentally, City of Heroes), JTL didn't save the bleeding subs, their publish 9 change actually made it easier for players to leave the game,

So it was doing well before it got any REAL competition in the market place? That hardly invalidates anything I said. By your own admission, it lost half its subs and was continuing to lose them on a monthyly basis. hence, the attempt to turn it into a WOW Clone.

John Smedley admitted that they would win back some of those WoW goers by making SWG like WoW (hence combat upgrade), he then outright lied during the CU phase that "the CU is here to stay" because 2 weeks later the NGE was leaked and everyone took it as a joke and Smedley/Torres announced the NGE which confirmed the leak, again an attempt to bring back WoW players. Smedley even admitted they were willing to lose existing players over the NGE to try and get new players in, stupid strategy if you ask me because it backfired.

No one has ever disputed the bad events that took place with the NGE.. Also, I had a character on Corbantis and was part of a guild in Bestine with its own city so I hardly need a history lesson on the huge screwup that was SWG.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Sauron,hear me.

Its time to forge new Star Wars MMO.

just to rule them all..

Thanks in advance mr Sauron.

if only, lol

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Distopia

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.

If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

As a long time -PREcuSWG fanboi.... this. ANyway, @OP how did it take you 3 months to figure out the mechanics in SWTOR? They're the same basic mechanics we've seen in every major release since 04.

SWG doing well and swg matching wow are 2 different things. Lucasarts are always in control of their license and they have been known to trample over other people's work to get what they want. And they wanted to match wow. Simple really.

OP can not win here. Play for 3 months and everyone will be like "you must have liked it to play for so long" play for one month and he wouldn't have given it enough time to experience later content

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• solpariahsolpariah Member UncommonPosts: 19

I canceled my sub just before the first paid month ended. It got too familiar for me and felt like I was playing something I had already beaten in a past gaming life. I'll likely try out the Legacy System, however, to see how rewarding that feels. If it doesn't sell me immediately then I'll likely not be coming back for a long time. All-in-all, I agree with the OP. It's too early in its life for me to assume it's a terrible game though. Beyond the first 6 months of release would probably be a better starting point for true analysis for me, there's always bugs.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by darkehawke

As a long time -PREcuSWG fanboi.... this. ANyway, @OP how did it take you 3 months to figure out the mechanics in SWTOR? They're the same basic mechanics we've seen in every major release since 04.

SWG doing well and swg matching wow are 2 different things. Lucasarts are always in control of their license and they have been known to trample over other people's work to get what they want. And they wanted to match wow. Simple really.

OP can not win here. Play for 3 months and everyone will be like "you must have liked it to play for so long" play for one month and he wouldn't have given it enough time to experience later content

I just find it odd it would take someone three months to "figure out the mechanics in TOR". 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I just find it odd it would take someone three months to "figure out the mechanics in TOR". 

There is phenomena in which individuals will justify adverse experiences if they chose to participate willingly, and will then experience cognitive dissonance if they re-assess rationally. An example is basic training or boot camp. After you've been though it you feel good about it even though physically it was punishing. If you spent years gearing up for the game, you might have difficulty giving up the idea of it you had for so long. Everybody experiences this differently so it's not really an objective thing. So yeah, emotional justification.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ignore_me

There is phenomena in which individuals will justify adverse experiences if they chose to participate willingly, and will then experience cognitive dissonance if they re-assess rationally. An example is basic training or boot camp. After you've been though it you feel good about it even though physically it was punishing. If you spent years gearing up for the game, you might have difficulty giving up the idea of it you had for so long. Everybody experiences this differently so it's not really an objective thing. So yeah, emotional justification.

I woke up in a bathroom chained to a desk with a hacksaw and a mouse, on the computer was SWTOR, a disembodied voice told me if I levelled all 8 classes to 50 a door to the safe with the key in would open. After 6 hrs I cut my foot off.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I woke up in a bathroom chained to a desk with a hacksaw and a mouse, on the computer was SWTOR, a disembodied voice told me if I levelled all 8 classes to 50 a door to the safe with the key in would open. After 6 hrs I cut my foot off.

omg I'm crying right now and I feel like I did 100 sit ups. this made my day :)

Did you just leak the story for the next SAW movie? :)

That was pretty funny.

Whatever. I've never said that someone who quits during their trial didn't give it enough time and I challenge you to find me saying that. I doubt others here have either. As many have said, the mechanics are very similiar to other mmos. Even the critics who lavished praise on the game said this. There's nothing wrong with asking someone why it took three months to figure out something that everyone else already knew and had been discussing for a long time.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

This will be the last themepark MMO I will ever play again. Im tired of playing the game same wow forumla over and over again with the same mechanics and them. I'm done with them. If i play anymore WoW formula game I think my brains going to melt

Hopefully Archeage will bring something to the table.

Cheers

-Trash

This I like to hear, perhaps there's still hope for the industry. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

*please dont take this post the wrong way. It isn't a troll post, and I'm not looking to get negative attention. I'm just stating my opinion on this game. The game is not horrible, but I am just posting this so some people that get this game will realize what they are getting into. If you enjoy the game thats awesome. I'm glad you are liking it.*

Anyways I have been playing SWTOR for 3 months and I played through the entire thing. I've done raids and everything. So I think I have a pretty good grasp of what I'm talking about here.

-Firstly the game is a WoW clone, bottom line. If you honestly cannot tell the difference between a clone and something that isnt ripped off then you either have never played WoW, either that or you need glasses. Yes I know MMO's all copy off each other, but they also brought something new to the table as well. For instance Rift. At least they brought something dynamic to the market. SWTOR dosnt bring anything dynamic at all. The only thing is voice overs and story.

No arguement there, although.. rift did add something new to the table, the dynamic events are unusual in mmo's though ironic enough rift didnt just feel like a clone, it felt like logging onto WoW.. the stripped down F2P version.

-secondly the things good about this game are the story, the voice over work was "ok" but I've seen better in Biowares Previous titles like Dragon Age. Alot of the responces are copy and pasted so you will hear the same replys over and over again. I didn't like this because it shows that the development team couldn't of bothered to make a complete dialogue but instead copy and pasted it into multiple mquests throughout the game. The PvP in SWTOR is horrible because its all Instanced PVP. You can do world pvp but you dont get hardly anything for it. not as much as doing instanced pvp. Although I could be biased because I'm more of an open World PvPer. I hated Battleground in WoW because it ruined the whole point of world pvp.

Again some irony here, battlegrounds killed world pvp, on the other hand, it also added reason to actually DO but did add perspouse to actualy DO pvp.pvp, before wow added the battlegrounds, there as no pvp xp nor any form of reward from it, no pvp gear, no pvp ranks nothing.

in short battlegrounds killed the perpouse of world pvp ,

-thirdy this is one of the easiest MMO's I have ever played. (No kidding) I could of done these raids with one arm tied behind my back, no joke. Right along with How easy wow is now. It's like they made this game for kids who couldnt even do 8th grade algerbra. The raids and operations are all tank and spank. It's the most boring and mundane Cra... I have played since wrath of the noob king. Even Rift raids are at least more challanging then this.

Its true, the game is very easy, the raids are pretty easy, most fights are pretty tank and spank but they did bother to trow in some mechanics, I do think its ironic you brought in Rift, especially the first 2 raid zones where pretty much tank and spank, not to mention their instance boss fights where easy mode as range dps granted on occasion you actually have to tough your mouse or keyboard!

-and lastly After 3 months of wasting my time with this game. Ill say this SWTOR was a complete waste of my time. I wish I never played it. I played the game for 3 months because i wanted to have a good idea what the mechanics of the game were and what the game had to offer. I also didn't want a give an opinion on a MMO that I never raided or really knew about the game itself, Because I always see people playing games and basing their opinions on the first 20 or so levels of gameplay.. i didnt want to be one of those people. So now I can firmly make some valid judgments on SWTOR. I believe that this game should of been a single player game. Not a MMO. Whoever decided to have that space combat in the game should go back and learn how to make a MMO. I loved Bioware Games back in the day with baldur's Gate, baldur's Gate 2, neverwinter Nights. Dragon Age. All single player games mind you, but you could tell they were made very well with good writers, designers, artists, and great voice over work. But after the release of Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and now SWTOR I think Bioware games are not as great as they used to be. I definitly wont be wasting my money on anymore bioware games anymore.

I can definately understand you quit the game, how ever mmo's and games in general ARE a waste of time. You say you continued to play because you wanted to have a good grasp on things.. sorry not buying it. If you dont enjoy playing it.. why the heck did you continue to play?

This will be the last themepark MMO I will ever play again. Im tired of playing the game same wow forumla over and over again with the same mechanics and them. I'm done with them. If i play anymore WoW formula game I think my brains going to melt

Hopefully Archeage will bring something to the table.

Cheers

-Trash

Reaction is in red, not even saying you are wrong about the issues within the game.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

Whatever. I've never said that someone who quits during their trial didn't give it enough time and I challenge you to find me saying that. I doubt others here have either. As many have said, the mechanics are very similiar to other mmos. Even the critics who lavished praise on the game said this. There's nothing wrong with asking someone why it took three months to figure out something that everyone else already knew and had been discussing for a long time.

That quoted part was in no way a response to you. Just a general response. Indeed you are perfectly within your right to question his reasons.

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

^ LOL

• War_MachineWar_Machine Member Posts: 22

Classic.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Castillle

"I am devoting my time and money in voting for Heejun Han in American Idol. I will also scour the interwebs for information about him and gathering more people to join the Heejun Han Fanclub.  Please vote for him and tell other people to vote for him *directed at you, the person who is reading this*"

Thats what I wrote when I cancelled my sub a few minutes ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(  My condolences, Bunny.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by smh_alot
    Now this is why sandbox fans should stay the fuck away from themepark MMO's, especially the hardcore SGW fanboi vets. I mean, put hardcore sandbox fans in themepark MMO's and it's guaranteed that you get a lot of them whining to high heavens, 'why oh why am I not enjoying myself even if I know it's a totally different kind of game that hasn't the sandbox features that I like in MMO's'. Ehm, they're themepark MMO's: shouldn't hardcore sandbox fans have already figured out what elements they like in MMO's and what it does to their gaming fun if those elements are lacking? Seriously -_-
    I love themeparks and have never really enjoyed any sandbox MMO. I have spent most of the last eight years playing themepark MMOs and enjoying myself immensely.

If I wrote a whiny post about SW:TOR, it would be almost identical to the post that started this thread, up until the final "This will be the last themepark MMO I will ever play again" paragraph.

SW:TOR is an extremely poor themepark. Extremely poor. You don't need to be a sandbox zealot to find it massively disappointing.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

thanks my friend, and yes I agree with you. SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO I had ever played.

I know you heard this before but the emu is almost ready to go gold, just saying...that is where I am playing currently. Can't beat a skill based system with 32 professions. The graphics are not bad either if ya jack em' way up.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by smh_alot

Now this is why sandbox fans should stay the fuck away from themepark MMO's, especially the hardcore SGW fanboi vets. I mean, put hardcore sandbox fans in themepark MMO's and it's guaranteed that you get a lot of them whining to high heavens, 'why oh why am I not enjoying myself even if I know it's a totally different kind of game that hasn't the sandbox features that I like in MMO's'. Ehm, they're themepark MMO's: shouldn't hardcore sandbox fans have already figured out what elements they like in MMO's and what it does to their gaming fun if those elements are lacking? Seriously -_-

I love themeparks and have never really enjoyed any sandbox MMO. I have spent most of the last eight years playing themepark MMOs and enjoying myself immensely.

If I wrote a whiny post about SW:TOR, it would be almost identical to the post that started this thread, up until the final "This will be the last themepark MMO I will ever play again" paragraph.

SW:TOR is an extremely poor themepark. Extremely poor. You don't need to be a sandbox zealot to find it massively disappointing.

Well said.

Its a themepark with 75% of the rides missing.

As a public service, I need to inform viewers that posts may contain feedback critical of the product being discussed. This is often termed "whining" by those who don't share that viewpoint. If you are allergic to whining, you should consult your doctor before reading these forums, as this phenomena is germane to the forums. In addition, some viewers may experience side effects such as logical fallacies, personal attacks, poorly constructed arguments, and recreational gaming community apathy.