Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canceled My Sub (Another Whiney post)

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by toodlepip123

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

thanks my friend, and yes I agree with you. SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO I had ever played.

And with that post you nullified ANY argument you may have had or will have.

It just puts the complexity level he requires from a good game into context.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

I aint mad at ya homie... The game is a 5 out of 10 at best... the instancing is ridiculous and the PVP is a complete joke. They would have been better served just giving us an updated version of SWG lol, me thinks people would be much, much happier.

thanks my friend, and yes I agree with you. SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO I had ever played.

Now this is why sandbox fans should stay the fuck away from themepark MMO's, especially the hardcore SGW fanboi vets. I mean, put hardcore sandbox fans in themepark MMO's and it's guaranteed that you get a lot of them whining to high heavens, 'why oh why am I not enjoying myself even if I know it's a totally different kind of game that hasn't the sandbox features that I like in MMO's'. Ehm, they're themepark MMO's: shouldn't hardcore sandbox fans have already figured out what elements they like in MMO's and what it does to their gaming fun if those elements are lacking? Seriously -_-
  • AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by RefMinor

Apple to oranges. Its like comparing dark prophecy to EVE and saying DP sucks because it isn't more like EVE. two different MMOS, two different genre.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

I am one of the new guys to this game,and although i understand what the OP is saying i play mmo's differentely.it takes me months just to get 1 char up to 50..i really take my time..i have been playing 10 days now and i got a lvl 15 guardian and am enjoying it...i hate raids.

Has far as i,m concerned raids are for the minority in-game imo.i have also noticed the dialogue being the same on some quests,but i dont let that dampen my wish to play atm.

I think the easiest way i can put this is i do not treat this game has an mmo..because in my view it is'nt.time will tell weather or not i stick with it..if not its on to the next one..it will be a case of another lesson learned(not).

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

If SWG was such a great game prior to pre NGE. Why did the game fail so badly. Its not like SWG was a great game. It had lots of problems that needed to be fixed. You cant compare the 2 because they are not the same.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Gajari

"Please, help me, a GIANT WOMPRAT is eating my wife alive. You have to save her!"

Jedi Respone: "You need to remain calm, emotions aren't helping, now start again from the beginning."

"*sigh* Over in the field, a GIANT WOMPRAT.... WIFE... EATING ALIVE!"

Jedi Response: "I'm on my way, this is what I've trained for."

"Hurry please. Thank you."

End Result...

"So, did you save my wife?"

Jedi Response: "I'm sorry, your wife was eaten alive. I did everything I could."

"Oh no... poor wife. Here's some credits, it's the least I could do."

Jedi Response: "No reward is necessary, but thanks."

... I got carried away. I should be a writer for BioWare.

HAHA! Totally nailed it... especially the "No reward is necessary" line!

One thing I found really odd in the story telling was that choosing light side choices never got you anything and choosing dark side choices sometimes got you stuff if you were a Jedi, but not usually - but choosing "greedy bastard" choices got you all the extra rewards all the time! You would think the game would reward Republic players for trying to be light and Empire players for trying to be dark, but no... the only reward goes to the money-grubbing scum bag. Ironic, this coming from EA and Bioware, yes?

It's funny: All the buildup of the voice over and story and it's not even all that great, and they clearly put gameplay as second on their priority list. Future MMO developers: Nail down some solid gameplay mechanics and progression ideas first and foremost. Story is important, but people spend far less time talking to NPC's than being out in the world killing stuff or whatever.
    They really should have kept voice overs to the personal story and instances/warzones and not have every single quest have it. It really kills the excitement of it rather than giving you something to look forward to during big scenes. And as the OP said, they ended up rehashing a lot of responses. I don't need a huge, drawn out reason for killing a few enemies.
    "Please, help me, a GIANT WOMPRAT is eating my wife alive. You have to save her!"
    Jedi Respone: "You need to remain calm, emotions aren't helping, now start again from the beginning."
    End Result...
    Jedi Response: "I'm sorry, your wife was eaten alive. I did everything I could."

But consider the alternative that's seen in other MMO's.

"Hello, traveler, please help me, could you kill those 10 rats for me because - "

-- ignore textwall, click ok to accept quest task --

Or what was before text quests and exclamation marks to level via quests

"hey friend, let's get some xp and level. What shall we do?"

- "Let's grind mobs for some hours."

I mean, skipping quest text and do the simple quest tasks or grinding mobs wasn't that much more entertaining either all those years, in fact it was only fun because it was still new. I prefer story heavy quests a la AOC/SWTOR/TSW/GW2's Personal Story above mob grinding or text based quests that went before it.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I can agree with the OP on nearly all points - 

That game isn't horrible, far from it - it's a good solid game for a month or two.

*It is quite simply among the easiest MMO's I have ever played, and I have played a TON of them - you can hit lvl 50 EASILY, and I mean that within one month of playing.  Raids can be somewhat difficult at certain parts but I never once ran a raid that a 5 year old coulden't grasp.

*The PvP is terrible, no doubt about it - it's repetitive and the world PVP (or Ilum) is a disaster.

*The only point I differ is that Star Wars did innovate when it came to companions - NO, not mind blowingly, but the companion system was kinda cool, especially in regards to the crafting system (even though the crafting system sucks)

In the end ToR just didn't provide long term fun, lvling was very, very easy. Raids were very, very easy, and lastly, PvP was pointless side game (like space combat) which was very, very easy (travcer missil, tracer missil, tracer missil, tracer missil)

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Ankur

Apple to oranges. Its like comparing dark prophecy to EVE and saying DP sucks because it isn't more like EVE. two different MMOS, two different genre.

I also question his definition of complexity. For me, a game that allows you to run MACROS and gain experience while being away from your computer is anything but complex. Also, useless time sinks are not the definition of complexity.They are just boring and monotonous.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I understand that swtor has not bring anything new to gameplay.If it's something new that has brought is voice overs but thats not fun at all in a mmorpg.

Bioware tried to see if voice overs are working in a mmorpg but they failed.

Originally posted by Soopaman

If SWG was such a great game prior to pre NGE. Why did the game fail so badly. Its not like SWG was a great game. It had lots of problems that needed to be fixed. You cant compare the 2 because they are not the same.

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.

Originally posted by reignjuste

I understand that swtor has not bring anything new to gameplay.If it's something new that has brought is voice overs but thats not fun at all in a mmorpg.

Bioware tried to see if voice overs are working in a mmorpg but they failed.

You are saying that SWTOR VO was a failure. I will ask what unit of measurement are you using to make such a claim. Do you have factual data or are you stating an opinion

Originally posted by smh_alot

It's funny: All the buildup of the voice over and story and it's not even all that great, and they clearly put gameplay as second on their priority list. Future MMO developers: Nail down some solid gameplay mechanics and progression ideas first and foremost. Story is important, but people spend far less time talking to NPC's than being out in the world killing stuff or whatever.
    They really should have kept voice overs to the personal story and instances/warzones and not have every single quest have it. It really kills the excitement of it rather than giving you something to look forward to during big scenes. And as the OP said, they ended up rehashing a lot of responses. I don't need a huge, drawn out reason for killing a few enemies.
    End Result...

"Hello, traveler, please help me, could you kill those 10 rats for me because - "

I mean, skipping quest text and do the simple quest tasks or grinding mobs wasn't that much more entertaining either all those years, in fact it was only fun because it was still new. I prefer story heavy quests a la AOC/SWTOR/TSW/GW2's Personal Story above mob grinding or text based quests that went before it.

I would rather have that and the remaining 198m of the budget put towards making the MMO part the best it could be (regardless of themepark/sandbox)

It didn't help really that SOE dropped wow in space onto an unsuspecting sandbox crowd whilst chasing WoW like numbers, thus going from 250k to 50k very fast, as the original players left but the WoW crowd carried on enjoying WoW and didn't switch to NGE.

If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Agree 100%

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I think the biggest thing is: SWOTR is like a book. A good book, no doubt- its from Bioware. But a book nonetheless. When you finish reading a book, you put it down. This wouldve made an awesome singleRPG. Story fits in great there. MMOs are more about social interaction. You dont socially intereact with a book. Story is important yes, but you cant leave behind the rest of what makes an MMO in the dust (such as pvp/world events/guilds/exploration). You dont pay subs for a book, you buy it once.  I just dont feel this game is worth subs.

End Result...

I would rather have that and the remaining 198m of the budget put towards making the MMO part the best it could be (regardless of themepark/sandbox)

Eh, leveling IS part of the gameplay. If that's boring and not fun, that's the first 125-200 hours you're in a game, if that's not important you might as well have everybody start at level cap and skip the whole leveling idea. Kinda like shooters where you can jump into multiplay right away.

story/context infused quests (cutscene/dialogue/etc) > textwall quests > mob grinding (imo)

Originally posted by Zaltark

I think the biggest thing is: SWOTR is like a book. A good book, no doubt- its from Bioware. But a book nonetheless. When you finish reading a book, you put it down. This wouldve made an awesome singleRPG. Story fits in great there. MMOs are more about social interaction. You dont socially intereact with a book. Story is important yes, but you can leave behind the rest of what makes an MMO in the dust (such as pvp/world events/guilds/exploration). You dont pay subs for a book, you buy it once. I just dont feel this game is worth subs.

Incorrect. More fitting would have been, 'SWTOR's questing is like a book', because for the rest it has all the typical features that other (themepark) MMO's have. It's simply that Bioware put more emphasis on making the quest leveling part of the game more entertaining, and if you have a problem with that, you might as well say that quest leveling in an MMO is bad, or that quesst leveling shouldn't have a story in an MMO.

Originally posted by ktanner3

If SWG was doing well they would have never considered the NGE in the first place.

Lets be honest. SWG was doomed do to failure and this is because SOE never fixed the problems prior to CU and NGE. I personally enjoyed SWG up too CU. But not once had SOE tried to address the problems with SWG. Personally SWG had the best crafting system of any game I have played. But thats was about it.

End Result...

Eh, leveling IS part of the gameplay. If that's boring and not fun, that's the first 125-200 hours you're in a game, if that's not important you might as well have everybody start at level cap and skip the whole leveling idea. Kinda like shooters where you can jump into multiplay right away.

story/context infused quests (cutscene/dialogue/etc) > textwall quests > mob grinding (imo)

I don't want to have to play a poor SPRPG in order to get to a husk of an MMO.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Lets be honest. SWG was doomed do to failure and this is because SOE never fixed the problems prior to CU and NGE. I personally enjoyed SWG up too CU. But not once had SOE tried to address the problems with SWG. Personally SWG has to best crafting system of any game I have played. But thats was about it.

My experience would have been better had I went crafter,dancer or one of those professions. They obviously got that part of it right. However, for those of us looking for more than being the best crafter or dancer in the galaxy the game was not up to snuff. Certainly not worth a sub fee when so many things are broken and unplayable.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

"I am devoting my time and money in voting for Heejun Han in American Idol. I will also scour the interwebs for information about him and gathering more people to join the Heejun Han Fanclub.  Please vote for him and tell other people to vote for him *directed at you, the person who is reading this*"

Thats what I wrote when I cancelled my sub a few minutes ago.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

I don't want to have to play a poor SPRPG in order to get to a husk of an MMO.

Shrug. Not really an answer on my post. I said that it's important that leveling to level cap should be made entertaining as well, and that the story based approach to quest leveling as seen in AoC's Destiny quests, and SWTOR/TSW/GW2 (Personal Story) quests is a more fun way to level than textwall quests or mob grinding. If you prefer textwall quests and mob grinding as main method of leveling, well, good for you I guess.
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

End Result...

There's nothing overly different in your generic quests out in the world after a while anyway. Aside from story quests, I was skipping through  most of the quests to get to the point by about level 20 if not sooner. A lot of people end up doing this. I'm playing WoW again at the moment, and I get more excitement from watching their little in-game cutscenes and events than I did from SWTOR's story system. The one exception is on the Esseles or Black Talon flash points the first couple times I ran them - those were fun as hell and me and the rest of the group always laughed our asses off at the responses each other had.

That quickly faded however. :(

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Games like SWTOR always scare me...The high intial price tag and the insane hype are almost always going to be a huge letdown at some point......The OP also made a reference to Rift saying they at least brought something to the table.....Well I have to disagree....If you had played Warhammer (which is where alot of the RIft devs came from) you would realize they basically took the public quests, gave them a slightly different look, and renamed them as Rifts....It was nothing new.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by Theocritus

Games like SWTOR always scare me...The high intial price tag and the insane hype are almost always going to be a huge letdown at some point......The OP also made a reference to Rift saying they at least brought something to the table.....Well I have to disagree....If you had played Warhammer (which is where alot of the RIft devs came from) you would realize they basically took the public quests, gave them a slightly different look, and renamed them as Rifts....It was nothing new.

Rift was more of a letdown to me since I figured SWTOR would suck. Im still playing SWTOR, and uninstalled Rift.

In the begining I said, RIFT took all the good and got rid of all the bad....then I just said, this is a preaty WOW with PQs, then the population died.

Now it is basicly free, which tells me the pop is still dead. Except for the few "L33T" guilds that server hop to get world firsts.