Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SP Reset, how many would come back to play

notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

So if you could totally reassign your SP, how many players do you think they would have reactivate there accounts?

Or CCP, you can continue laying off, take on Sony, etc.

For me, it would probably get you a few months while I try out a couple new things. I've only played 3 times in the past 7 years, for no more than 6 months anyway, so if you want to omgwtf are you retarted? It won't make a lot of difference to me either way.

Comments

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Why would they do that eve has the most subcribers than its ever had. It has never been lower on subs one year than the other it just keeps gaining subs slowly but steady.

Why would they reset the SP when its dosent evne take long to be competative. After the first month I was jsut a comeptative a a vet in a BC, even beat a few of them.

Now im cross training Caldari because most of ym Amar training is done. My toon si 1 year old and it only took that long to get there. One year to catch up and be competative to the vets on 100% fo their level.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Zecktorin

Why would they do that eve has the most subcribers than its ever had. It has never been lower on subs one year than the other it just keeps gaining subs slowly but steady.

Why would they reset the SP when its dosent evne take long to be competative. After the first month I was jsut a comeptative a a vet in a BC, even beat a few of them.

Now im cross training Caldari because most of ym Amar training is done. My toon si 1 year old and it only took that long to get there. One year to catch up and be competative to the vets on 100% fo their level.

EVE is a great game I'm not here to flame it.  I've posted negative things about their SP system before and won't jump in again on that.

But you know what I would really like to see.  A breakdown of how many active accounts as well as how many unique players.  I definately understand that total accounts are increasing but anybody who plays EVE knows most veterans have multiple accounts.  As time goes on, this increases.

I would like to see the following graph plotted over time:  1) Include one line for total # of accounts and 2) Include one line for total number of unique players

I'm curious how much of the increased accounts are vets with additional accounts and how many are actually new people.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

EVE is a great game I'm not here to flame it.  I've posted negative things about their SP system before and won't jump in again on that.

But you know what I would really like to see.  A breakdown of how many active accounts as well as how many unique players.  I definately understand that total accounts are increasing but anybody who plays EVE knows most veterans have multiple accounts.  As time goes on, this increases.

I would like to see the following graph plotted over time:  1) Include one line for total # of accounts and 2) Include one line for total number of unique players

I'm curious how much of the increased accounts are vets with additional accounts and how many are actually new people.

Yes you make a very good point here, but something you have to realise most people actually do not use more than one account. CCP had a conversation on this somewhere.  And most people who do use multiple accounts use only 2. Honestly alot of the peole who had 5 or 6 accounts dont play anymore. How ever I do beleive that people who have 2 accounts is roughly around 20-25% of the population. they are about 500k or 600k subs? so 20% of that.

By the way thank you for having a discussion instead of slaming down everyone elses opinions.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Another point of fact is the number of peak concurrent users everyday has been steadily increasing over the years. Currently its around 55k.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Not many I would think, I doubt many quit wishing they could switch career.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Why when it only takes about a week to be decent at any career. The SP system isnt as bad as everyone says lol geez.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by notmex

So if you could totally reassign your SP, how many players do you think they would have reactivate there accounts?

For me, it would probably get you a few months while I try out a couple new things. I've only played 3 times in the past 7 years, for no more than 6 months anyway, so if you want to omgwtf are you retarted? It won't make a lot of difference to me either way.

You mean an individual player being able to refund their SP and redistribute the points?

I'm suprised CCP hasn't done that yet.  It would have to be a very very limited feature, possiblely even requiring you pay for it.  I knew a lot of people who would've taken advantage of it.

I'm not sure if it would impact sub numbers.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I am an EvE newcomer (well been a few months now)  and I got a 2nd account (for mining, industry etc..)

honestly I have no idea why I shied away from EvE in the past .. probably the open PvP.  But having played mostly theme park and raiding mmo's since the original EQ, I know myself and lots of my friends have grown tired of the hamster wheel, and were primed for the sandbox,  and I havent looked back.  I already got a handful of my old MMO friends to try it out too, and they too are now hooked.

I have a feeling (and its just a feeling) a LOT of people in the MMO space are ready for the Sandbox, maybe they just don't realize it yet.

Far from perferct, but a breath of fresh air after 10 years of theme parks.

Why when it only takes about a week to be decent at any career. The SP system isnt as bad as everyone says lol geez.

That was my point.
    Originally posted by sycofiend

I am an EvE newcomer (well been a few months now)  and I got a 2nd account (for mining, industry etc..)
    honestly I have no idea why I shied away from EvE in the past .. probably the open PvP.  But having played mostly theme park and raiding mmo's since the original EQ, I know myself and lots of my friends have grown tired of the hamster wheel, and were primed for the sandbox,  and I havent looked back.  I already got a handful of my old MMO friends to try it out too, and they too are now hooked.
    I have a feeling (and its just a feeling) a LOT of people in the MMO space are ready for the Sandbox, maybe they just don't realize it yet.
    Far from perferct, but a breath of fresh air after 10 years of theme parks.

You chose the red pill when you played in the sand.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I thought about it, have 3 accounts with anywhere from 50-65M SP's, almost all focused on combat skils.

I might be tempted to come back if I could reset the points and retrain one of them in Industry, but not sure the current batch of industrial players would appreciate the extra competition.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I had been chatting with some of my corp mates about a feature like that recently actually. I proposed that you pay 40 dollars to have All your SP reset but the negative of that would be you would lose all the skillbooks you had injected into your character. This would force long time players to really think about doing it considering how expensive many skill books are. For example a carrier skill book is about 450million ISK. equals to about 1 game time code or 17 dollars and 50 cents in real world cash.

With these pro's and cons it would also keep the skillbook market alive considering people that took the plunge would need to repurchase all the skill books. Wouldnt effect the character bazaar much either :) I think its a win-win situation tbh

Pro's

all your sp back

Negatives

Lose all your injected skill books

pay 40 USD

That was my point.

Sorry misread your post lol

• notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

I haven't played much, but I've never seen the 55k online like 2005. So I doubt they have more subscribers.

They layed off last summer, and now in bed with Sony for Dust.

Where do you get they are doing good from that?

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

For probably the 128789'th time, hardly anyone.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Takes 156 day to get projectile turrets up alone, not training any specializations. That's not including core skills for engineering, electronics, mechanics, navigation, starship command.

You must be an easy target.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I would play if they made a new server, not really interested in resetting skillpoints. As I've said before I would prefer a server that resets every year or so, so everyone starts from scratch. A server like that would need some changes to the game, faster skilltraining and some other stuff. It would be fun if they added changes after every reset so it feels new and fresh aswell, like new starsystem layout, new mods, ships, skills, implants, asteroids, missions, NPCs, business opportunities etc.

Basically I want back the feeling of EvE being new and unexplored with lots of possibilities, the game is so figured out at this point, everything is very familiar and people are settled in roles they have perfect skillpoints to perform. The game feels kind of stale to me at this point, I think it needs something drastic like a new server and lots of changes, server resets would promote action all over the place imo.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Takes 156 day to get projectile turrets up alone, not training any specializations. That's not including core skills for engineering, electronics, mechanics, navigation, starship command.

You must be an easy target.

You don't need to be in a HAC with T2 guns and equip to be usefull.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

You don't need to be in a HAC with T2 guns and equip to be usefull.

True, I was canon fodder when I first started.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Most SP related threads grow tiresome. I wish they changed the system to PO's but beyond that no shits are given. This is still better than one of those whiney threads about how "vets will always be ahead of newbies" thats written by some guy who quit after the free trial and really, really doesn't understand the mechanics enough to realize the stupidity of that argument or even better is simply trolling because that topic is guaranteed to get at least one bitter vet bitter.

6 months? Thats more than enough time to get skilled heavily into at least 1 aspect of the game. It took me a whole 2 1/2 months to solo L4s as a clueless newb and after 3 I was already out of hi-sec and soloing sleeper anoms.

No matter what, all anyone needs to know in the end are two simple words: character bazaar. If that doesn't fly with you, then learn some damn patience and be happy flying t1 frigs and tackling for awhile you f**king tw*t.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I do not see a point. Who is supposed to benefit from "reset"?

Players with SP will not gain much as most SP is spent in core skills and players without SP won't be able to afford to train anything else but missing core skills.

There is always test server where you can "try new stuff" anyway.

SP are minor. It does not matter how much SP you have or how you distribute them, what matters is your ability to utilize what you have. If you fail in the game, it is your own failure and you can either start blaming <input a feature or mechanics here> or you can actually try to improve yourself.

Overall, the idea of any kind of reset is fundamentally bad. Your choices is what defines you - remove the consequences off your choices and the game will become meaningless.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Wasn't there one already based on a learning skills refund?

I got B-ship 5 on the spot from that one.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

True, I was canon fodder when I first started.

If you lose a ship, it is 100% your fault.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Keep your current skills and learn some more. You would play for a a few months OP? wow yes lets let ccp organise all this just for your curiosity for a couple of months.

Even as a new player I do not feel overwhelmed knowing so many players have years ! on me. Just enjoying the game.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Reassign my skills? I'd learn the same skills I learned so far.