Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's the players not the game

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by ktanner3

The type of player that is enjoying TOR are out doing quests, warzones and flashpoints. When they are done they log off. They're not going to sit around a cantina and chat. I mean really dude, there's social networking sites for that type of thing and they don't charge a monthly sub.

Way to not understand a thing.

MMORPGs are supposed to provide VARIED forms of gameplay. What you want is a single player game with online capabilities like Quake...oh wait, that is what TOR is. TOR doesnt even have the most basic MMORPG aspects, people standing around chatting, I dont know of any one other MMORPG that didnt have a major hub with a bunch of people just talking, even GW1 which was almost completely instanced still had a main hub jam packed with people talking.

I mean god damn man, you have to group, in mass to earn social points to buy gear meant for you to walk around and role play in!

Thats like rewarding PvP gear to people that stand around town emoting in mass!

its 100% unadulterated DERP!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Shakes420Shakes420 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by jtcgs

So I guess it isnt THE players...its the PLAYERS. think about that one.

Publishers run models to see what is profitable in any given market. These models usually contain potential customer purchase history. 

So while I believe the player base is partially to blame for making uninformed purchases, I also believe (in this circumstance) that EA ran the models on old BW games, ie srpg, and figured they had a no brainer for success.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The type of player that is enjoying TOR are out doing quests, warzones and flashpoints. When they are done they log off. They're not going to sit around a cantina and chat. I mean really dude, there's social networking sites for that type of thing and they don't charge a monthly sub.

MMORPGs are supposed to provide VARIED forms of gameplay. What you want is a single player game with online capabilities like Quake...oh wait, that is what TOR is. TOR doesnt even have the most basic MMORPG aspects, people standing around chatting, I dont know of any one other MMORPG that didnt have a major hub with a bunch of people just talking, even GW1 which was almost completely instanced still had a main hub jam packed with people talking.

I mean god damn man, you have to group, in mass to earn social points to buy gear meant for you to walk around and role play in!

Um...it's called FLEETS and there are vast amounts of people using them.  I was just responding to the SWG fanboy that thinks just because there aren't crowds of nerds standing around a cantina that TOR is dead.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Shakes420

Publishers run models to see what is profitable in any given market. These models usually contain potential customer purchase history. 

So while I believe the player base is partially to blame for making uninformed purchases, I also believe (in this circumstance) that EA ran the models on old BW games, ie srpg, and figured they had a no brainer for success.

Which has nothing to do with the fact it was billed as an MMORPG and that MMORPG players expect MMORPG aspects or that fanboys are acting like they and only they get to voice their opinions or that people shouldnt say anything about the game unless its nice.

It was a worthy try though.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Hmm...so how about this...

I enjoy single player, story-driven RPGs like BG, Torment, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, etc.  And as a story-driven RPG, I felt SWTOR was horribly lacking and inferior to almost any decent single player story-driven RPG.

The pacing was terrible due to all the side-quests you get forced through.  The stories were overall mediocre, with only a few classes having interesting stories.  And despite the game taking a long time to beat, you don't really get all that much actual story...most of the game is spent on terrible, cliche side quests.

So...was it my lack of insight as a player that made me not like this game?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by musicmann

Really, close to 500k subs in the beginning and around 250k subs that was maintained until the NGE. I mean, the Kauri server was always jammed packed at any time of the night or day during the pre-cu and cu era of the game for me. Kinda funny, i seen more people just hanging out in the Coronet cantina for about 30 minutes then i did the whole month and a half i spent in TOR. I guess you have what's called selective amnesia. If TOR has 1.7 million active subs i sure would love to know where they are, cause they are surely not playing the game.

I was making a point about how back in SWG pre NGE days, the servers were full and i seen more people in a 30 min span than in the whole almost 2 months i spent playing TOR. TOR feels like exactly how i think BIoware wanted it to feel. Like one of their SPRPG games with coop features. If that's your thing, there's many SPRPG games that don't charge a monthly sub.

Like i posted before. If Bioware wanted to screw up an IP, they should have used their own ME one. With all intent and purposes, this could very well be the last time LA ventures into the mmo genre. How sad of time this is for SW / mmoprg fans that wanted a deeper and more open/sandpark mmo and got a closed off, wielded on rails SP game. It's easy for mmorpg fans that love the fantasy theme to just move on to the next one that comes around. If you played WOW for any amount of time, you could switch to RIFT and now the upcoming GW2 and get that almost the same themefeeling. There's only been two SW mmo's and the first they screwed up and is shutdown and this new second one is just crap. So, if your a fan of SW and mmo's you should understand the passion and the reason behind the dislike for TOR.

Like i posted before. If Bioware wanted to screw up an IP, they should have used their own ME one. With all intent and purposes, this could very well be the last time LA ventures into the mmo genre. How sad of time this is for SW / mmoprg fans that wanted a deeper and more open/sandpark mmo and got a closed off, wielded on rails SP game. It's easy for mmorpg fans that love the fantasy theme to just move on to the next one that comes around. If you played WOW for any amount of time, you could switch to RIFT and now the upcoming GW2 and get that almost the same themefeeling. There's only been two SW mmo's and the first they screwed up and is shutdown and this new second one is just crap. So, if your a fan of SW and mmo's you should understand the passion and the reason behind the dislike for TOR.

Um, ONLY two SW mmos? Fans of other franchises would love to just have ONE MMO. The first Star Wars MMO was a sandbox set in the Empire Strikes Back era and the second one is a themepark based in the Old Republic Era. When SOE did what they did to SWG and drove my entire city away I didn't whine and moan all over the MMORPG boards like a spoiled brat on a daily basis. I stopped giving them money and moved on. I did that thinking that there was never going to be another SW MMO but then again, this is just entertainment, not a cure for cancer. So no, I don't get the huge "call to arms" attitude that some posters here have over this game and I'm a big fan of Star Wars. Then again we ARE talking about a fan base that went bat shit crazy over greedo shooting first.....

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Consumer buys a product

Consumer doesnt like the product.

Consumer complains about the product.

Other consumers try to burn them at the stake for daring to either speak or think differently.

1 consumer is in the right...the rest are Nazi zombies.

Everyone has a right to demand a better product, everyone should demand better, its the consumer that drives the market, and it isnt for you to tell people what they should or should not like and your opinion of what is or is not good does not trump what they think.

So I guess it isnt THE players...its the PLAYERS. think about that one.

Actually its more like...

Consumer follows development of product for two years

Other consumers tell him that this isn't the game for him

<<< Service provider / manufacturer assures customers that it's the best thing since sliced bread

Consumer buys product on strength of these promises

consumer doesn't like it

Consumer then spends every day of his life trashing a product he should have never bought in the first place.

Let me just correct that a little...

Seems fair now.

Yeah you might argue that the buyer should have listened to other consumers..  but that still doesn;t change the fact that he has a right to be angry with the manufacturer.

(btw: this doesn;t apply to me personally. )

Consumer buys product anyway

As expected, consumer doesn't like it

Consumer then spends every day of his life trashing a product he should have never bought in the first place.

That is such a crock.

This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public.

And the second WORST thing about it...its the only field where there are consumers DEFENDING the practice and trying to shut down anyone that speaks out...THE worst thing about it, is that the people they are shutting down...are people wanting the product IMPROVED!

Because GOD KNOWS that wanting...oh...options placed into the game is a BAD THING! ITS BAD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THERE AND ITS A COMPLAINT!

OMG, he wants MORE? BURN HIM!

OMG, he actually dared to say that...oh...the idea of the Legacy system is a good one but the way its being implimented is stupid and could be done in a far better way that that actually isnt pure DERP?!? KILL HIM for not being a good little sheep and STFU and just accepting things the way they are... 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I've seriously never seen a post so far off the mark.  I like the setting, I tried hard to enjoy the story, I didn't rush.  I got bored before level 30.  The game is BORING.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Um, ONLY two SW mmos? Fans of other franchises would love to just have ONE MMO. The first Star Wars MMO was a sandbox set in the Empire Strikes Back era and the second one is a themepark based in the Old Republic Era. When SOE did what they did to SWG and drove my entire city away I didn't whine and moan all over the MMORPG boards like a spoiled brat on a daily basis. I stopped giving them money and moved on. I did that thinking that there was never going to be another SW MMO but then again, this is just entertainment, not a cure for cancer. So no, I don't get the huge "call to arms" attitude that some posters here have over this game and I'm a big fan of Star Wars. Then again we ARE talking about a fan base that went bat shit crazy over greedo shooting first.....

You are whining and moaning about it now though. You have been quite a bit over the last week or so. Personally I think you do not like SWTOR but keep saying you do because you do not want to post the truth that you hate it, and admit you were wrong about the game.

You keep saying it is not going to become like SWG, which is quite true but if they do not do anything to ADD (not change) some systems (hopefully similar to what SWG had and other MMOs have) to SWTOR it is just going to remain stagnant and die off.

You also said:

"The type of player that is enjoying TOR are out doing quests, warzones and flashpoints. When they are done they log off. They're not going to sit around a cantina and chat. I mean really dude, there's social networking sites for that type of thing and they don't charge a monthly sub."

If you do not see a problem with this, then you clearly do not care for SWTORs future. social networking sites are fine, but not everybody who uses these sites would be playing SWTOR. If there were social hubs in SWTOR for people to hang out, then everybody there would have access to SWTOR, as they would be logged in to it and running the game.  In SWG people hung out in cantinas, haviing fun and formed grouped and before you knew it were off doing quests and stuff in a group. Now there is not this, and people who play the game have logged off = dead game to those looking for people to play with.

All your comments over the past few weeks have not been positive towards SWTOR at all.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I agree the game feels empty. It is pretty new and even the starting zones are empty as a game that has been out for years. I am a big Star Wars fan but when I only see a couple players in a few hours of play then I am not going to pay to play monthly for an RPG. I also have an issue with modern games having craptastic graphics. I don't expect the best in the graphics department but I don't want to play something that looks like I should be playing it on facebook either (I know it's  stretch but you get the point). The only way I would be willing to play a game that has poor graphics if it has some dynamic that is really unique like Shadowbane. I would still play that game.

However, if you like the game I think that is great and I am in no way trying to insult anyone who enjoys the game. Each person has their own tastes and I do not wish the game to fail. They put a lot of hard work in it and it does have some good qualities as well.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

That is such a crock.

This is a product that is under an NDA until near release, long after the pre-order is set up and open to the public. Most consumers must rely on the information being allowed to be made available by the company. In ANY OTHER FIELD this would be false advertising and misleading the public.

And the second WORST thing about it...its the only field where there are consumers DEFENDING the practice and trying to shut down anyone that speaks out...THE worst thing about it, is that the people they are shutting down...are people wanting the product IMPROVED!

Because GOD KNOWS that wanting...oh...options placed into the game is a BAD THING! ITS BAD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THERE AND ITS A COMPLAINT!

OMG, he wants MORE? BURN HIM!

OMG, he actually dared to say that...oh...the idea of the Legacy system is a good one but the way its being implimented is stupid and could be done in a far better way that that actually isnt pure DERP?!? KILL HIM for not being a good little sheep and STFU and just accepting things the way they are... 

True +1.  I've been hit with the Status Quo stick so many times over the past week, that I am starting to wonder about the community. This is justification on a grand scale, and it's pretty sad.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

Um...it's called FLEETS and there are vast amounts of people using them.  I was just responding to the SWG fanboy that thinks just because there aren't crowds of nerds standing around a cantina that TOR is dead.

How can that be if people just do their quests and log off...

Are you sure mmos are for you? You seem like you would be happier in a srpg and leave your socialising to the social websites

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

Originally posted by darkehawke

Are you sure mmos are for you? You seem like you would be happier in a srpg and leave your socialising to the social websites

Exactly, they are arguing one thing and when its pointed out its wrong they come back and say the opposite which then contradicts the first thing they said...its amazing. So many arguments being presented like this you have to wonder why they believe what they believe, it doesnt seem to be based on anything tangable.

Defending for the sake of defending.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

That's because Han shot first, no need to change that at all.

That is such a crock.

No it's the truth as seen by the posters on this forum that spent all that time whining about TOR yet still bought it.

Did we know this was not going to be SWG2? YES

Did we know this was going to be a themepark game? YES

Did we know that the game was focused on story? YES

Did we know there would be no day/night cycles? YES

Did we know there was no swimming? YES

I could go on. The only thing you could really say was misleading was the HI RES issues. If you want your money back over that then be my guest. There was even time before release to try the game and if you didn't like it to cancel your pre-order. Yet for some stupid reason the people that complained non stop on this board about how TOR was not SWG or not this or not that, STILL bought the game. THOSE are the people I am referring to. Of course there's going to be people who had no false hopes about the game not like it. But that doesn't mean they were burned or conned as you and others like you try to imply.

DERP!!!.......

Am I misreading that or are you blaming players? Just like you have the right to complain they have a right to say it's fine. It's up to the devs to decide who is right.  I was there during the devlopment of STO and my ideas about what the game should have were shot down continuely on the official boards. As it turns out, I was right and the game was panned by both critics and gamers. That is just something you have to deal with as long as you take part in community activities.

Well when one of those other IPs becomes a dominant part of popular culture they will get their MMOs. On the other hand, SW fans just get fucked so I'm not sure there is any advantage there. Good for you with your awesome iron will and ability to move on. I like your stance: This is all unimportant so I'm gonna weigh in with you whiners. Spoiled brats, damn right. We should not complain, we should know our place and accept what is made, we have no say in the matter. Stupid customers.

No thanks, I'll stick with the game I'm currently playing. You of course might be happier in any of the many MMOs currently available.

Originally posted by ignore_me

Well when one of those other IPs becomes a dominant part of popular culture they will get their MMOs. On the other hand, SW fans just get fucked so I'm not sure there is any advantage there. Good for you with your awesome iron will and ability to move on. I like your stance: This is all unimportant so I'm gonna weigh in with you whiners. Spoiled brats, damn right. We should not complain, we should know our place and accept what is made, we have no say in the matter. Stupid customers.

You guys just get more crazy with every post. Keep it up. It's nice entertainment until I get home and play.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

As much as i agree with customers right to complain and demand for better this is the worst place to do so. I seriously doubt that anyone here thinks that whtever complaints they write here are really recahing Bioware or other companies. lets be honest here please, the only purpose of these forums is pvp and venting out and feeling better. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Kind of expounding on the "Fourth Pillar", I cant help but point out the real line between happy subscribers and unhappy unsubscribers is play style.

I've said it before, big title mmorpg's brought many new players into the fold, gone are the days of the close knit, die hard "yes M'lady" crowd from rpg games like EQ.

The reoccuring theme with the bulk of unhappy ex players is the way they typically play the game, (a quick caviot) I don't mean every single person fits this mold so use common sense at will.

You hear it time and again, people play a little of the starter worlds quests,  they pee vee pee non stop,  the planet quests turn grey, they jam through the personal story and hit 50 in a week or two.

The same people will tell you how much they hate the planets and the linear quests and so on, open world pvp is all that matters ect. even though most of them haven't seen anymore of the individual worlds outside of the flight paths to the class quests they jammed through.

It's the way I and many others played Warcraft, rip through the levels, get to endgame so you can farm gear in the arena or raids, and then quit because you are bored.

I am utterly content to play my character, fly to a planet and entrench myself in the content, levels happen with a story unfolding from talking, living beings in the worlds.

Sorry if this rpg game didn't meet your fps style, contrary to the silly and typical sky is falling crowd here, the game is still in existence and after a few months now, developement is ongoing to make it better.

Well better if you like role playing games anyway.

You are 100% right.   I knew Swtor was for me when very early on with my Bounty Hunter I was given a quest by this MOM to rescue her kid from the kids Dad who took the kid because the mom was going to send him off to be a Sith and the chances of the kid dieing were good.  Well being a rotten Bounty Hunter I took the quest and when i caught up to the Dad and kid I shot down the dad dead even though he begged me to spare him cause he did not want to see his kid die in the Sith pits. The Kid started crying over his dads dead body and I told the kid to go back to his mom and he would thank me some day.  WOW what great story telling and roll play goodness-I was hooked after that

No thanks, I'll stick with the game I'm currently playing. You of course might be happier in any of the many MMOs currently available.

I love it when somebody who plays these games calls other players Nerds. /irony

Originally posted by Ankur

As much as i agree with customers right to complain and demand for better this is the worst place to do so. I seriously doubt that anyone here thinks that whtever complaints they write here are really recahing Bioware or other companies. lets be honest here please, the only purpose of these forums is pvp and venting out and feeling better. 

I used to think that no one could be naive enough to think that a dev would read the vile that is spewed here and change their game. But now I think some of them actually believe that. No one could possibly gripe about a game this long just to feel better.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Kind of expounding on the "Fourth Pillar", I cant help but point out the real line between happy subscribers and unhappy unsubscribers is play style.

I've said it before, big title mmorpg's brought many new players into the fold, gone are the days of the close knit, die hard "yes M'lady" crowd from rpg games like EQ.

The reoccuring theme with the bulk of unhappy ex players is the way they typically play the game, (a quick caviot) I don't mean every single person fits this mold so use common sense at will.

You hear it time and again, people play a little of the starter worlds quests,  they pee vee pee non stop,  the planet quests turn grey, they jam through the personal story and hit 50 in a week or two.

The same people will tell you how much they hate the planets and the linear quests and so on, open world pvp is all that matters ect. even though most of them haven't seen anymore of the individual worlds outside of the flight paths to the class quests they jammed through.

It's the way I and many others played Warcraft, rip through the levels, get to endgame so you can farm gear in the arena or raids, and then quit because you are bored.

I am utterly content to play my character, fly to a planet and entrench myself in the content, levels happen with a story unfolding from talking, living beings in the worlds.

Sorry if this rpg game didn't meet your fps style, contrary to the silly and typical sky is falling crowd here, the game is still in existence and after a few months now, developement is ongoing to make it better.

Well better if you like role playing games anyway.

You are 100% right.   I knew Swtor was for me when very early on with my Bounty Hunter I was given a quest by this MOM to rescue her kid from the kids Dad who took the kid because the mom was going to send him off to be a Sith and the chances of the kid dieing were good.  Well being a rotten Bounty Hunter I took the quest and when i caught up to the Dad and kid I shot down the dad dead even though he begged me to spare him cause he did not want to see his kid die in the Sith pits. The Kid started crying over his dads dead body and I told the kid to go back to his mom and he would thank me some day.  WOW what great story telling and roll play goodness-I was hooked after that

Did youseriously just use the 3rd starter quest as your example of how good or bad this game is on story? Really? You get through that quest in under 10 minutes of TOTAL game play. Is that all you played before you judged it? Really??

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)