Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Open World PvP incentive

13»

Comments

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

I was doing Fimbrilisk with some Guild freinds(small social guild)  and a sorc comes up and ask to be in party...i quickly invite the sorc to guild which she uickly declines...so I then quickly declared my pvp intentions and proceeded to murder the player mauahahahahaha.....

now i ask..is that not incentive to OW PvP? 

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Did you see "Sorry I had auto decline on, please inv-" before she died?

Just not worth my time anymore.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by ch0sen0ne

Other than people fighting over BAM's there is no reason to PvP in the open world.

Killing for the hell of it gets old after a while...

Sure they are going to have Server Vs Server later but that is too little too late.

With GW2 coming out I think I will just skip this game and save me the time and money.

People that love PVE will surely like this game tho.

its just not my cup of tea...

I tried closed beta and have to say that PvE was really bad due to bad story line and quests, so if PvP sucks and PvE is bad , what does that leave?  I tried a Lancer maybe the lancer just sucks, I have a april 6 beta key maybe I will try another class to see if that is better

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Bombzaway

I was doing Fimbrilisk with some Guild freinds(small social guild)  and a sorc comes up and ask to be in party...i quickly invite the sorc to guild which she uickly declines...so I then quickly declared my pvp intentions and proceeded to murder the player mauahahahahaha.....

now i ask..is that not incentive to OW PvP? 

No, actually it's not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

It actually was as that sorc found a buddy and hunted me down. It was quite fun, getting ganked by somebody thats your same lvl isnt all that bad and evidently did provide enough incentive.

Having the whole politics game to discover these types of actions could be pretty meaningful..then again maybe im just dreaming of a themeboxed game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Other than people fighting over BAM's there is no reason to PvP in the open world.

Sure they are going to have Server Vs Server later but that is too little too late.

With GW2 coming out I think I will just skip this game and save me the time and money.

There never is a reason why a game should offer PvP in the open world because its pointless and the vast majority of the time it comes down to 1v1 fights which isnt an RPG concept.  On top of that it promotes and advocatgees poor gamesmanship.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    That's your opinion but there is a large group of people who love open world PvP. Yes, you can be ganked and it doesn't seem fair but OWPvP isn't about being fair, it's about an added dynamic to playing the game. There is also the chance for mass PvP which TERA also promotes.

Battlegrounds are great for those that want fair, structured PvP but it comes down to personal preference.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by eddieg50

I tried closed beta and have to say that PvE was really bad due to bad story line and quests, so if PvP sucks and PvE is bad , what does that leave?  I tried a Lancer maybe the lancer just sucks, I have a april 6 beta key maybe I will try another class to see if that is better

PvE is bad because the story line is bad... welp, judging from your past SW:TOR threads highly acclaiming Biowares amazing storytelling I can see you are actually serious.

But in all honesty, the combat and interaction between players and mobs is what the basis of judging PvE should be based on, and from the fact you didn't leave the starting area to experience any of the fun PvE with BAMs or dungeons, I guess that your opinion doesn't really seem valid.

PvP is also amazing in my opinion, never have I had so much fun with a guild in the open world, something many MMOs do not even offer.

@Zylaxx - 1V1 PvP in TERA OWPvP is almost non existant...it's usually groups of five rolling around and the odd zerg(unless you are on VoT, then zerg vs zerg vs zerg battles everywhere).

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Zylaxx

There never is a reason why a game should offer PvP in the open world because its pointless and the vast majority of the time it comes down to 1v1 fights which isnt an RPG concept.  On top of that it promotes and advocatgees poor gamesmanship.

There is no reason a game should offer owpvp,  haha are you serious? 

My guess is your opinion of owpvp would be quite different IF GW2 had owpvp  image  

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

My guess is your opinion of owpvp would be quite different IF GW2 had owpvp  image  

No he literally hates PvP, look at his signature, looking for "sandbox PvE" and next big flop "Archeage".

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by stayontarget

No he literally hates PvP, look at his signature, looking for "sandbox PvE" and next big flop "Archeage".

No I love PvP that is structured and segregated from the main portion of the game.  Such as DAoC, GW2 or Arena in WoW.  Those are the only 3 ways I like PvP.  Anything else is a gank fest that offers nothing but frustration.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

No I love PvP that is structured and segregated from the main portion of the game.  Such as DAoC, GW2 or Arena in WoW.  Those are the only 3 ways I like PvP.  Anything else is a gank fest that offers nothing but frustration.

Well then, your post stating "no reason a game should offer OWPvP" is stupid, as all the things you like about PvP you can get on a PvE server, so why would you try to take away OWPvP from people playing on PvP server when it does not reflect/hinder you in any way.

Giving players options is always better and OWPvP is something MANY people enjoy, it offers me nothing but fun, I rarely experience frustration and even so, just adds to the dynamics of OWPvP.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I was hoping they would have castle sieges or a territory control but whos to say they wont add that in the near future.

Originally posted by Sinaku

I was hoping they would have castle sieges or a territory control but whos to say they wont add that in the near future.

Well they are primarily the developers of Lineage 1+2 so it's entirely possible.

I am still in hopes of guild+player housing for now.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Ankur

PVP for fun. That is exactly what people are going to tell you on GW2 forums...  

Wrong

Its about meaningful PVP, territoy and resource control, server pride and fun!

Sorry your going to miss it, enjoy your treadmill that is TERA.   :)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Xasapis

Tera PvP can be fun if you enjoy being an @sshole griefer...

Well, my suggestion for you would be to pick a PvE server in Tera, if you are interested in playing the game at all. After all, GW2 will offer only PvE servers (no open world PvP). Nothing wrong with choosing whenever you want to PvP, that's why there is a distinction between servers in the first place.

Wrong

There is no PvE only servers in GW2, there is no need too. The PvP has already been separated, there is no chance of griefing.

We do have a few people screaming for PvP only servers, but I doubt that will ever happen.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

How exactly am I wrong? GW2 has only one type of servers, the PvE type.

You're telling me I'm wrong and then explain in detail how the servers of GW2 are PvE? Seriously?

I would even go one step further and argue that GW2 is a PvE game. Why? Well, truly PvP games have integrated this aspect of their gameplay into all aspects of the game. There are very few true PvP games. One example is EVE.

• Take PvP out of a PvP game like EVE, what are you left with?

• Take PvP out of a PvE game like LOTRO, what are you left with?

That should answer your question whether GW2 is a PvE or PvP type of game. Their servers however are definitely PvE, their PvP is segregated and strictly optional. On a PvP server you're forced into PvP whether you like it or not.