Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Open World PvP incentive

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

The entire PvP revamp for TERA including in depth battlegrounds, server vs server and other things are apparently planned for Queen of the Argons Part 2.

As for incentives to OWPvP, could it just be for fun? I know with daily quests and the rifts being recently added in KTERA people will be running around the world a lot more(rifts offer the best rewards in the game in their present state), so you have ample opportunities to PK I would think.

As for organized PvP with incentives, try scheduling up to 10v10 deathmatches with other guilds, you can bet money and items and it is always good to show your guilds dominance over another one. Why not try actually building a community in this sense as well, something lacking in MMOs nowadays.

Hell even GvG can be organized and scheduled to happen every day or every other day at whatever time. I know a lot of Koreans do it almost on a daily basis.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

You need the ability to pick a fight and piss off the other side, by killing their quest npcs and occupying their town.  That was what was needed in WoW in the early days.  The good days.    arenas are crap.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by ch0sen0ne

I've been playing MMO's for ages now and ganking people has grown stale
    and since WoW battlegrounds, structured pvp is lame and boring.
    Even in Zerg Vs Zerg combat a small group of coordinated players can wreak havok, which to me is a ton more fun.
    Guerrulla warfare ftw...

Cmon, what you are really looking for is DAOC2. Trouble is, no one is making it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Kyleran

Cmon, what you are really looking for is DAOC2. Trouble is, no one is making it.

Are you sure? I'd swear that GW2 PvP is a carbon copy of DAoC, while the PvE is an evolution of WAR. That would make GW2 DAoC 3 I suppose.

I wonder how they're going to have the four way server fights in Tera btw.

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

Tera PvP can be fun if you enjoy being an @sshole griefer...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, my suggestion for you would be to pick a PvE server in Tera, if you are interested in playing the game at all. After all, GW2 will offer only PvE servers (no open world PvP). Nothing wrong with choosing whenever you want to PvP, that's why there is a distinction between servers in the first place.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

or you enjoy killing them.

Or you like the thrill of being attacked by 3 people and killing them all (happened once to me :-) )

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Or you like the thrill of being attacked by 3 people and killing them all (happened once to me :-) )

yeah that hppen when you are 10 lvls or more against others....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by alkarionlog

yeah that hppen when you are 10 lvls or more against others....

yes in that situation I would run, and did.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Other than people fighting over BAM's there is no reason to PvP in the open world.

Killing for the hell of it gets old after a while...

Sure they are going to have Server Vs Server later but that is too little too late.

With GW2 coming out I think I will just skip this game and save me the time and money.

People that love PVE will surely like this game tho.

its just not my cup of tea...

Castle sieging would be very fun, when the vanarch system comes out, it'll give more reason to kill...also the GvG's are all the reason you need to kill. 

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I love going after reds. Went after several in the last beta.

two reds were attacking one person (who was running away) so I attacked them, took down the bersker (I suspect they weren't an amazing berserker) and then went after the other one, got him down to a sliver but then they remembered their horse and ran. Once I saw his health regening and he was heading for town I just left him.

Another time I saw a red coming for me so I just turned and went for him. we started to fight and then 3 other whites joined in to kill him. he then "vanished". either he was able to disconnect, change channels, or "whatever" but he just vanished.

there are obviously going to be some good "ganker" players but I"m not convinced they all will be.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Sovrath

I love going after reds. Went after several in the last beta.

two reds were attacking one person (who was running away) so I attacked them, took down the bersker (I suspect they weren't an amazing berserker) and then went after the other one, got him down to a sliver but then they remembered their horse and ran. Once I saw his health regening and he was heading for town I just left him.

Another time I saw a red coming for me so I just turned and went for him. we started to fight and then 3 other whites joined in to kill him. he then "vanished". either he was able to disconnect, change channels, or "whatever" but he just vanished.

there are obviously going to be some good "ganker" players but I"m not convinced they all will be.

never really find good gankers, if they was any good they wouldn't hunt people attacking mobs and lower lvl, one pk I give him for his courage (or he didn't check my lvl before trying to kill me) I was the same lvl as him but I saw him comming and so I could run a little from mobs to a area I could fight him without mobs on me (he though I was running) I stoped and fight back, forgetting some mistakes and the damn skill missing his body, I could win without problem, others I jsut saw then attacking mobs and did the same they do to other just wipe then when busy with mobs, some die in the first 2 skils. TLDR pks don't have skill, they just fed on death ones or weaks, like hyenas or vultures

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by Ganathar

Other than people fighting over BAM's there is no reason to PvP in the open world.

Killing for the hell of it gets old after a while...

Sure they are going to have Server Vs Server later but that is too little too late.

With GW2 coming out I think I will just skip this game and save me the time and money.

People that love PVE will surely like this game tho.

its just not my cup of tea...

As you are a GW2 fan, I am sure that you have heard the phrase "we will play this for fun and not for the reward " in the GW2 forums when people complain about the lack of gear rewards in the endgame, so if you really think that GW2 is going to be great your argument is irrelevant.

You do not need an incentive to have fun!!!

BAMs are a resource, i foresee a lot of pvp over spawns just like in the old school games.  I do support a more hardcore pvp ruleset which would allow for some sort of player looting, but i don't want some sort of honor kill system for pvp gear like WoW.  That system managed to make the one fun part of MMORPGs(PVP) manifestly unfun.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

There are so many BAM's, they respawn every hour and with multiple channels for the same zone I would hardly consider that a valuable resource to control.

Also I've read one comment from a K Tera player that the BAM loot sucks compared to instanced PVE drops.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

I've been playing MMO's for ages now and ganking people has grown stale
    and since WoW battlegrounds, structured pvp is lame and boring.
    Even in Zerg Vs Zerg combat a small group of coordinated players can wreak havok, which to me is a ton more fun.
    Guerrulla warfare ftw...

So, what kind of PvP does GW2 have thats not instanced?

Theres The Mists(3 way Lake Wintergrasp) and a handful of battlegrounds.

So, you say structured PvP is lame and boring but its the only type of PvP that GW2 has.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I agree with you OP, but don't bother trying to talk to the Tera community about this. There is a very vocal section who absolutely do not want any incentive to PVP, and if you do they will quickly tell you to roll on a PVE server. I can't wait until some griefer makes their lives miserable "for the fun of it" and they rage about open world PVP being stupid on the forums.

Originally posted by Zookz1

I agree with you OP, but don't bother trying to talk to the Tera community about this. There is a very vocal section who absolutely do not want any incentive to PVP, and if you do they will quickly tell you to roll on a PVE server. I can't wait until some griefer makes their lives miserable "for the fun of it" and they rage about open world PVP being stupid on the forums.

Well, no they won't. Because any person who is used to open world pvp wont' care.

especially because "nothing happens to you". there might be a chance to have a crystal break upon death but I'm unclear whether that's for pvp or just pve.

Other than that? Nothing happens to you.

Interesting point, I have not once been pk'ed on the pvp server. I did away with some reds and I had one pk'er try to get me as I was running into a quest area but I hit my "charge" and that was pretty much it.

You can't apply your feelings on the subject to everyone. Just doesn't make sense.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Well, no they won't. Because any person who is used to open world pvp wont' care.

especially because "nothing happens to you". there might be a chance to have a crystal break upon death but I'm unclear whether that's for pvp or just pve.

Interesting point, I have not once been pk'ed on the pvp server. I did away with some reds and I had one pk'er try to get me as I was running into a quest area but I hit my "charge" and that was pretty much it.

You can't apply your feelings on the subject to everyone. Just doesn't make sense.

I don't want gear or epic rewards from OWPVP, but I want something lasting and meaningful to fight over. If I want some pointless PVP, I'll go play an FPS. I have no problem with OWPVP, but I'd like a compelling reason to do it. Fighting all night in Hillsbrad was fun, but it was not something I could do in the long term. There's no compromise though; it's either no incentive for PVP or you are a carebear who belongs on a PVE server. It's pretty frustrating trying to talk to the "real" PVP'ers about it.

I don't want gear or epic rewards from OWPVP, but I want something lasting and meaningful to fight over. If I want some pointless PVP, I'll go play an FPS. I have no problem with OWPVP, but I'd like a compelling reason to do it. Fighting all night in Hillsbrad was fun, but it was not something I could do in the long term. There's no compromise though; it's either no incentive for PVP or you are a carebear who belongs on a PVE server. It's pretty frustrating trying to talk to the "real" PVP'ers about it.

I think the problem here is that you are not seeing eye to eye on what is considered "incentive".

Other than sieges, please tell me what our incentive was to pvp in Lineage 2? There were no rewards, you didnt' get ranked, you didn't get titles or trophies. You might get a drop from a red.

what you did was drive your enemies out of hunting spots, keep people away from areas so only you and your clan could level their, get revenge on an opposing clan for attacking your alliance mates, etc.

If you dont' consider these things worthwhile rewards and they dont' consider what you want as a worthwhile reward then there really is no discussion because there is no common ground to meet on.

Essentially neither group wants the same thing.

I think the problem here is that you are not seeing eye to eye on what is considered "incentive".

Other than sieges, please tell me what our incentive was to pvp in Lineage 2? There were no rewards, you didnt' get ranked, you didn't get titles or trophies. You might get a drop from a red.

what you did was drive your enemies out of hunting spots, keep people away from areas so only you and your clan could level their, get revenge on an opposing clan for attacking your alliance mates, etc.

If you dont' consider these things worthwhile rewards and they dont' consider what you want as a worthwhile reward then there really is no discussion because there is no common ground to meet on.

Essentially neither group wants the same thing.

I didn't play L2.

I want the developers to give the players the tools to create reasons to participate in open world PVP. I want there to be territorial control. I want my guild to go smash down the door of another guilds keep and take it over. I want PVP to have an impact on the enviroment I play in. I don't want to kill a group doing BAM's and then chase them through channels all night; it's just not that interesting to me.

I didn't play L2.

Then see my last paragraph and sentence in my previous post.

For the record I want sieges and territory control as well. But ONLY, like L2 had it. Or something along the lines of eve perhaps.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Kyleran

Are you sure? I'd swear that GW2 PvP is a carbon copy of DAoC, while the PvE is an evolution of WAR. That would make GW2 DAoC 3 I suppose.

I wonder how they're going to have the four way server fights in Tera btw.

Its going to be an island and each server will have like a castle or something? On that island where people use it as a base to fight for dream shards for their server. Which can be used for boost for the server i think. I Also believe that if you manage to "storm" the enemy castle you can gain access to their server although that part i'm not sure i just remember some one said it.

endgame dungeons? who cares! I'm talking about PvP here

Lare-scale PvP combat fighting for territory and server domination!

and good luck to Tera ever stepping foot in the esports scene, lol....

http://gw2esport.com/item/guild-wars-2-pvp-to-feature-300-player-server-vs-server-battles-and-siege-warfare.html

You know why GW 1 wasn't an e-sport? Same reason why GW2 won't be. Also i seen bigger guild vs guild battle than that on Tera. When the big 300 member guilds on valley of titain fight now thats big and that sonly 2-4 guild not even a whole server.

a popular e-sport require lot of skill in game play, aka we have FPS which is almost pure skill, LoL which is lot of skill, and SC2 stragey/skill. Gw2? Sure some skill there but when its mostly spam spam spam and all your attack hom, kinda kick skill in the head and throw it out the window. The more combat video I see the less skill it looks the game takes. All the range attack can be used while moving and all seem to hom and never miss. The ability to cast whole moving is a joke to skill because it makes casting almost same as instant cast, there is no risk in casting if you can move. And the ability to use instant skill while cast kills it even more i mean the 2 major weakness of casting is you can't move and you can't attack. In gw2 not only can you move while casting you can attack too so why the hell even bother put a casting time there? Its almost pointless when you take away the only 2 weak point of skill with cast time.

I didn't play L2.

I want the developers to give the players the tools to create reasons to participate in open world PVP. I want there to be territorial control. I want my guild to go smash down the door of another guilds keep and take it over. I want PVP to have an impact on the enviroment I play in. I don't want to kill a group doing BAM's and then chase them through channels all night; it's just not that interesting to me.

I think this is the result of faction based pvp. Because when there is faction you get award fro killing the other side, makes sense. But when you have no faction there is no award, your suppose to be on the same side, open world pvp is just there if you feel like using it. Why its call declartion of outlaw. When was the last time we rewarded outlaws? And the point of open world pvp is to fight for resources, fight for the right to a mob. I hope they add in some open world raid bosses many Korean mmorpg have that give more incentive for guild to team up and battle for them.

Also when has pvp ever impacted enviroment? (as in the game wise) i mean unless your killing npcs like in WoW i don't see how PvP would ever impact the enviroment at all.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I am not a grief driven player personally but these people talking about dominating their server and griefing other clans seems pretty silly when you can so easlily avoid pvp. Even when you die teleporting back to a certain location is not hard.  I am guessing in the end game things get much smaller.  I am sure each server will have their unapologetic zerg which holds the end game content if you are able to do such.  Territory control would be so great. 

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

Sigh... I'm really getting fucking sick and tired of these GW2 comparison threads...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Hestia

Sigh... I'm really getting fucking sick and tired of these GW2 comparison threads...

I'm going to disagree and say that you are loving them.

How's that?

:D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"