Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's new patch...

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/22099

Holy crap, they finally changed the control style to match modern games.  I'm downloading the game and plan to resub just to see how this plays control wise.  Amazing.  Some other good stuff in the patch too, like the White Mage spell:  Arise.

Man I miss this game and reading new patches like this...how can I resist?

Welp, it was half assed.  They made the middle mouse key move your character the way modern games do..but the camera is still a pain to maneuver and using the middle mouse button, pushed in is uncomfortable.

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Don't get too excited the control scheme isn't that great. Plus for a lot of people it was causing issues when cancelling auto-run. I only had issues the first day but not anymore. Also nobody knows where Arise comes from yet, hopefully we'll find out soon and hopefully it's not a high lvl legion drop. Meteor drops from upper tier VW and will probably be widely used within a month.

Some of the best improvements have been the non relic, non empyrean weapons that have been introduced. Lately if it wasn't a relic or empyrean it was garbage it's nice to have a few decent choices for those jobs where you're not gonna want to spend the insane amount of time or gil to get a crazy weapon.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I got excited at first because I would play this game in a heart beat if it wasent for the controls/UI being so horrible, but then I kept reading and was sad again.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by snoop101

I got excited at first because I would play this game in a heart beat if it wasent for the controls/UI being so horrible, but then I kept reading and was sad again.

For pretty much everyone with this issue there is a quick fix. Us a controller, I don't but apparently people with your mindset love controllers. The game was kind of designed for it.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by elocke

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/22099

Holy crap, they finally changed the control style to match modern games.  I'm downloading the game and plan to resub just to see how this plays control wise.  Amazing.  Some other good stuff in the patch too, like the White Mage spell:  Arise.

Man I miss this game and reading new patches like this...how can I resist?

Welp, it was half assed.  They made the middle mouse key move your character the way modern games do..but the camera is still a pain to maneuver and using the middle mouse button, pushed in is uncomfortable.

Do you mean that the combat won't have you tethered to the mob now? That was my only gripe with FFXI really. I hated the combat style the way you switched to the strafing/tethered combat.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Do you mean that the combat won't have you tethered to the mob now? That was my only gripe with FFXI really. I hated the combat style the way you switched to the strafing/tethered combat.

That which you could break free from by pressing the * on the number pad during any battle.  And press it again to become retethered when/if needed.  It was great when you needed to run for a zone or reposition yourself during parties.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Khrymson

That which you could break free from by pressing the * on the number pad during any battle.  And press it again to become retethered when/if needed.  It was great when you needed to run for a zone or reposition yourself during parties.

LOL...I played for almost a year and didn't know that. Could you still fight when you did that?

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by Khrymson

LOL...I played for almost a year and didn't know that. Could you still fight when you did that?

Yes you can. You just need to be facing the enemy and be close enough to attack.