Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will NDA end after April 10th?

MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

The closed betas are obviously covered by NDA but after pre-purchase do you think it will be lifted so fans can create hype? Or will it be kept to prevent misinformation leaking out - a cash shop that has not been finalised / unfinished traits or dungeons for example.

Secondary note - Does pre-purchase mean mostly finished product that needs optimizing / balancing or an early cash grab?

My faith believes the game is finished and needs a little pre-release polish. My gut says it's a little of both, possibly to test the market and to figure out to what degree they need to optimise large scale battles.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

NDA drop is not confirmed yet, but very likely. Can't really require people to sign an NDA for a product they payed for in full.

Pre-purchased means that you pay full price for the game ahead of time, but only get it at the actual release date. Before that, you get access to the beta client, which is, by definition, unfinished. 

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

there will be no NDA associated with the BWEs

this does not mean all NDAs are dropped

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by semantikron

You speak in riddles.

You say there will be "NO NDA" but that doesn't mean "ALL NDA"

Vinny Barbarino confused on this side.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by HorrorScope

You speak in riddles.

It means that anything after April 10th, meaning the Beta Weekend Events of April and the following months, can be talked about and shown. However those that were part of the Closed Beta Events (like this weekend's) and are not Press, will still be under NDA, until the day they day. Or something along those lines. image

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

You speak in riddles.

The Beta Event Weekends will be NDA free, people that pre-purchase have their invitation guaranteed, they'll happen about once a month, first one announced for late april (rumours put it on april 20th).

There might still be other still unnanounced closed or press betas (they haven't said anything, this is me speculating), there will probably be bound by NDAs.

The previous NDAs will probably not drop, so you still won't be able to discuss things that happened on this weekend's beta, for example.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Thou hast worked and not worked. Perhaps not working is the greatest work of all....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

okay let's just clarify something right now, hype is generated by the company, not by the fans. And there is a distinction between fans and fanbois.

BW/EA had this formula, it boasted great things from their devs for SWTOR, released very little footage even after the NDA, and kept people in the dark for the most part about the game, paid great sums of money to all sorts of advertisement teams including websites like these. That's hype relying not on word of mouth and player experiences to spread the word of your games promise from experience, but rather relying on heavy advertisement and rumor to push your games hype.

There are no rumors when it comes to this game, everything all the way down to the progression, gear, skills, etc has been revealed already.

The only thing really missing from the nda is the actual story and all of the little things, exploration things.

I hope people don't abuse the NDA when its lifted because i don't want to ruin the game for myself.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by L0C0Man

You speak in riddles.

The Beta Event Weekends will be NDA free, people that pre-purchase have their invitation guaranteed, they'll happen about once a month, first one announced for late april (rumours put it on april 20th).

There might still be other still unnanounced closed or press betas (they haven't said anything, this is me speculating), there will probably be bound by NDAs.

The previous NDAs will probably not drop, so you still won't be able to discuss things that happened on this weekend's beta, for example.

But then those events might only have a part of the game available, like the first 30 or 40 levels.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Magnetia

The closed betas are obviously covered by NDA but after pre-purchase do you think it will be lifted so fans can create hype? Or will it be kept to prevent misinformation leaking out - a cash shop that has not been finalised / unfinished traits or dungeons for example.

Secondary note - Does pre-purchase mean mostly finished product that needs optimizing / balancing or an early cash grab?

My faith believes the game is finished and needs a little pre-release polish. My gut says it's a little of both, possibly to test the market and to figure out to what degree they need to optimise large scale battles.

Something tells me that once the pre-release betas start after the April beta phases they prolly will drop the NDA.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Naqaj

NDA drop is not confirmed yet, but very likely. Can't really require people to sign an NDA for a product they payed for in full.

Pre-purchased means that you pay full price for the game ahead of time, but only get it at the actual release date. Before that, you get access to the beta client, which is, by definition, unfinished. 

Basically what ^ said.

No, the NDA will probably not drop on April 10th, but will most likely be lifted somewhere around the end of April / early March when this 'pre-purchase' beta starts to kick in. I'd expect that to be around ~April 20th or later.

They have a press beta going on right now, and (potentially) one more going on early April depending on how this one goes. I don't see them lifting the NDA on that, until they have their newest beta build up and running, with people playing it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by itgrowls

okay let's just clarify something right now, hype is generated by the company, not by the fans. And there is a distinction between fans and fanbois.

BW/EA had this formula, it boasted great things from their devs for SWTOR, released very little footage even after the NDA, and kept people in the dark for the most part about the game, paid great sums of money to all sorts of advertisement teams including websites like these. That's hype relying not on word of mouth and player experiences to spread the word of your games promise from experience, but rather relying on heavy advertisement and rumor to push your games hype.

There are no rumors when it comes to this game, everything all the way down to the progression, gear, skills, etc has been revealed already.

The only thing really missing from the nda is the actual story and all of the little things, exploration things.

I hope people don't abuse the NDA when its lifted because i don't want to ruin the game for myself.

All kinds of footage was shown of TOR on the internet even before the NDA was dropped, much more after. The only thing they didn't show was the Ilum endgame stuff, which they showed off the npc battles there but that's about it (we did know how they were setting Ilum up, and the systems it would use).

We saw all the warzones, we saw what questing was like, we saw what planets looked like, we saw and knew what the advancement systems were like, we saw the types of gear that would be available, we saw what flashpoints and operations looked like and the types of objectives they possesed.

This is TOR in a nutshell, we also knew which things were being held back to be worked on after launch, guild systems, rank systems, etc..

IF you weren't seeing this stuff or didn't know about it, you weren't looking for it or watching the videos, it's as simple as that. I say again the above is just about everything that TOR is, you can't show things you don't have. Your post makes me wonder if you ever played TOR at all.

If you want to see a game holding info back and not showing anything look at TSW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

The reason for NDA's prior to NDA-drop continually applying, is because they were actually testing.

If you're testing out a different mechanic and the mechanic ultimately fails...  no one else really needs to know about it.  Allowing 2nd hand accounts on why it failed only invites needless drama most time and PENALIZES developers for trying new things.

In this industry especially (MMO's), where Innovation has been absolute complete and utter mythical horse shit, the last thing we should be doing is criticizing and needlessly penalizing developers for trying new things.

(obviously theres going to be some exception to this rule but we dont need to cover them here)

Originally posted by Distopia

*snip*

All kinds of footage was shown of TOR on the internet even before the NDA was dropped, much more after. The only thing they didn't show was the Ilum endgame stuff, which they showed off the npc battles there but that's about it (we did know how they were setting Ilum up, and the systems it would use).

We saw all the warzones, we saw what questing was like, we saw what planets looked like, we saw and knew what the advancement systems were like, we saw the types of gear that would be available, we saw what flashpoints and operations looked like and the types of objectives they possesed.

This is TOR in a nutshell, we also knew which things were being held back to be worked on after launch, guild systems, rank systems, etc..

IF you weren't seeing this stuff or didn't know about it, you weren't looking for it or watching the videos, it's as simple as that. I say again the above is just about everything that TOR is, you can't show things you don't have. Your post makes me wonder if you ever played TOR at all.

If you want to see a game holding info back and not showing anything look at TSW.

I've gotta give this one to Distopia. There was plenty of footage & dev updates on SW:TOR to give anyone following the game an idea of how it play. The only thing that was missing was Ilum (even from closed beta testers), which is no surprise why it ultimately failed and is being gutted from the game (for the time deing).

Now TSW is a game to worry about because even to this day I find it incredibly hard to find some raw beta footage of the game, that isn't in some controlled press setting and yet that game is suposed to release in 3 months. Meanwhile I been hearing about certain features being gutted, like most of the PvP that was originally plan. Really does sound worrying.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Master10K

I've gotta give this one to Distopia. There was plenty of footage & dev updates on SW:TOR to give anyone following the game an idea of how it play. The only thing that was missing was Ilum (even from closed beta testers), which is no surprise why it ultimately failed and is being gutted from the game (for the time deing).

Now TSW is a game to worry about because even to this day I find it incredibly hard to find some raw beta footage of the game, that isn't in some controlled press setting and yet that game is suposed to release in 3 months. Meanwhile I been hearing about certain features being gutted, like most of the PvP that was originally plan. Really does sound worrying.

Yep I never heard of it tested and I was in from august to Dec, our group didn't even have BG's until we were merged with all beta groups not long before release.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

snip*

regarding TSW it is because it is under heavy NDA.. trust me sooooo much I want to say >.<

Originally posted by ariboersma

snip*

regarding TSW it is because it is under heavy NDA.. trust me sooooo much I want to say >.<

Since you can't say anything, why not use an emote to explain your general feel.

image or image ?

@Distopia: At least that's something we don't have to worry about with GW2. Been hearing from a lot of NDA breakers that they are having a blast with the game's PvP. However hopefully ArenaNet fixes the issues they have been bringing up; like some ATI cards having terrible performance and not being able to create something like a "Shift" + "3" keybind.

snip*

Since you can't say anything, why not use an emote to explain your general feel.

image or image ?

@Distopia: At least that's something we don't have to worry about with GW2. Been hearing from a lot of NDA breakers that they are having a blast with the game's PvP. However hopefully ArenaNet fixes the issues they have been bringing up; like some ATI cards having terrible performance and not being able to create something like a "Shift" + "3" keybind.

imageimageimageimageimage 

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

*snip*

And with Funcom's track record of launches thats enough for me not to get excited by that game as much as I love the setting. 

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Magnetia

Yes.

*snip*

image or image ?

*snip*

image or image ?

switch the wall one and the confused one and its in the right order ;)

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

*snip*

image or image ?