Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Upcoming MMO's without Pay2Win cash shop?

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by gu357u53r

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well you are completely wrong about GW2, there is nothing pay-to-win about their cash shop so it looks like you have a very distorted idea what pay-to-win actually is.

If there is no pay to win items why even have it at all?  They could just save the created content to release in future expansions to stimulate players interest.  This is assuming they will have expansions, either way it's going to be a cash shop or expansions.  I guess not a bad thing if you look at it this way.  If however it is cash shop and expansions I won't buy into it.

Character slots, constumes, etc as well.

There's nothing in there, nothing at all, that provides any buffs that you can use in PvP btw.

Not in structured PvP, but I don't see what's stopping you from selling cash shop gems for gold and then using that gold to buy things for or in WvW.

Other than blueprints, what could you use that gold for in WvW?

Keep upgrades and items that make your character personally more powerful ;).

Also, I would like to bring up that we really don't know how much these blueprints and keep upgrades will cost.  If they cost A LOT of gold, then buying gold for cash may actually give an advantage.

Keep upgrades are paid for with supply and items that make your character more powerful can be acquired by anybody just playing the game.

I thought you would have known this Creslin.

Yes, we all know you can grind and grind to get the cash shop items, but many pay2win models are based off of this identical model.  Yes, you don't NEED to use cash shop but otherwise you need to spend hours and hours grinding for the gold or karma or whatever.  Very simply put, getting the advantages without working for them.  GW2 is now this form of pay2win model.  Korean model.

What advantages?

I was talking about acquiring items in the game. Not grinding gold.

Gold can buy items in the game.  Availability to unlimited amounts of gold via gem sales increases the availability of any tradeable item.

Advantage.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by Sythion

Would someone please acknowledge this?

Buying boosts = buying time.

Buying time != buying power.

::= Buying boosts != buying power

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

Spending Time = Getting More Power

Buying Time = Spending Time

Therefore... Buying Time = Getting More Power

Therefore... Buying Time = Buying Power

QED, no?

So if Buying Time = Buying Power

Pay2Play = buying gametime

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

then Pay2Play = Pay2win   Whoa, WoW is pay2win!!!

Of course it would be hard to win a game you cannot access so... Of F@#$ing Course Buying Time = Buying Power. Derp.

It is called an even playing field.  In Pay2Play (without cash shop) everybody pays for the same time and have the same advantages.  The only thing that seperates people in this case is skill and effort.  In Pay2Win, those that pay extra get more time/power than those who don't.  Then what seperates people in this case is skill, effort, and money spent.

Fundamentally changes the game and I refuse to play games that have it, plain and simple.  Hence this thread, as I want to know what MMOs if any will not have this pay2win cash shop model.  Looks bleak apparently, but I am patient and will wait for one.  There are many other games out there to play without putting up with this latest fad in MMO gaming.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Power = Buying Time  = Pay2win

Of course it would be hard to win a game you cannot access so... Of F@#$ing Course Buying Time = Buying Power. Derp.

Buying time is not buying power, buying time allows you the opportunity to grind power.

Time means nothing if you don't use it. 

I mean can we all at least agree that to play a damned MMO you need to have an active account??????????

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Well you are completely wrong about GW2, there is nothing pay-to-win about their cash shop so it looks like you have a very distorted idea what pay-to-win actually is.

If there is no pay to win items why even have it at all?  They could just save the created content to release in future expansions to stimulate players interest.  This is assuming they will have expansions, either way it's going to be a cash shop or expansions.  I guess not a bad thing if you look at it this way.  If however it is cash shop and expansions I won't buy into it.

There's nothing in there, nothing at all, that provides any buffs that you can use in PvP btw.

Not in structured PvP, but I don't see what's stopping you from selling cash shop gems for gold and then using that gold to buy things for or in WvW.

Also, I would like to bring up that we really don't know how much these blueprints and keep upgrades will cost.  If they cost A LOT of gold, then buying gold for cash may actually give an advantage.

Keep upgrades are paid for with supply and items that make your character more powerful can be acquired by anybody just playing the game.

Yes, we all know you can grind and grind to get the cash shop items, but many pay2win models are based off of this identical model.  Yes, you don't NEED to use cash shop but otherwise you need to spend hours and hours grinding for the gold or karma or whatever.  Very simply put, getting the advantages without working for them.  GW2 is now this form of pay2win model.  Korean model.

there just is not proof of this yet,  Yes if you have to grind till your eyeballs bleed to get anywhere then we will have a problem, but i dont forget everything they said in the past just because the cash shop info has come out. they've stated time and time again they want to remove the grind from the game, and that everyone will easily come by max stat gear for there level and so on

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Skyrim.

If Bethesda started a program where they locked down the cheats and sold gold online, affecting only the player of the game, would that be Pay to Win?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Guild Wars 2 more than likely.

Judging from the cash shop leaks and everything they've told us it will all be things like cosmetic, faster xp gain, things that aren't really going to give someoen an advantage in say a 1v1 or competetive fight. You can buy gems, which are used for cash shop. With what I understand you can buy gems in the game via gold, and I've heard gold isn't the "end all be all" in this game either. I believe PvP, WvW, uses some mechanics that use Karma/Valor? Which I'm not entirely sure you can buy with gems, and if you can you still need "Supply" which is only obtainable through WvW and doing something. 

I could be a little off, probably am, but that's the jist of how I understand it.

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

It is called an even playing field.  In Pay2Play (without cash shop) everybody pays for the same time and have the same advantages.  The only thing that seperates people in this case is skill and effort.  In Pay2Win, those that pay extra get more time/power than those who don't.  Then what seperates people in this case is skill, effort, and money spent.

Fundamentally changes the game and I refuse to play games that have it, plain and simple.  Hence this thread, as I want to know what MMOs if any will not have this pay2win cash shop model.  Looks bleak apparently, but I am patient and will wait for one.  There are many other games out there to play without putting up with this latest fad in MMO gaming.

even playing field may be a bad phrase to use there.  the only thing the the cash shop effect is effort.  it allows you to do thing with a little less effort.    if you buy gems someone still has to make enough gold to buy your gems, want cash shop items from your gems, and believe that there gold is worth less to them then the items in the cash shop.

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Skyrim.

If Bethesda started a program where they locked down the cheats and sold gold online, affecting only the player of the game, would that be Pay to Win?

Yes,

But it wouldn't matter, because you are the only one affected by it, What someone else buys has no influence over your decision to use or not use the shop and likewise, your decision will not affect anyone else.

Which is at the heart of my contention with MMO Cash Shops

Originally posted by st4t1ck

there just is not proof of this yet,  Yes if you have to grind till your eyeballs bleed to get anywhere then we will have a problem, but i dont forget everything they said in the past just because the cash shop info has come out. they've stated time and time again they want to remove the grind from the game, and that everyone will easily come by max stat gear for there level and so on

They also at one point said very definately that the cash shop will be "cosmetic only."  This they changed a few weeks ago from:

"These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay"

to

"Be assured goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time."

Now, we all know what is meant by "investment of time."  It is called grinding.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Darkfall 2.0 

apart of that hmm nothing?

Publishers are selling 'advantage' even if it is not COMBAT advantage ,but they sell gold or same items / rewards you can get in-game ,etc

People are buying it and only chance is one day publishers will think that ppl that dislike CS are enough in numbers so SOME (not all that's obvious) games will have pure p2p-no cash shop servers avabile for higher subscription rate.

Would not count on it in next 3-5 years though.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Dominus

Salem

AA

TSW

All those shouldn't have CS.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Dominus

Salem

AA

TSW

All those shouldn't have CS.

It IS confirmed that TSW WILL have CS.

and is not Salem gonna be F2P game? That would imply cash shop...

They also at one point said very definately that the cash shop will be "cosmetic only."  This they changed a few weeks ago from:

"These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay"

to

"Be assured goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time."

Now, we all know what is meant by "investment of time."  It is called grinding.

So your telling me a game in beta decided to change something? that still doesnt make the game pay to win. its gonna come down to money like in all business. and if they sell things that give people power the will lose a lot of money.

they can catter to 100,000 people that like pw2 spending 50 dollars a month to play there game or 2,000,000 people that dont like p2w spending 5 dollars a month.

Originally posted by fenistil

Darkfall 2.0 

apart of that hmm nothing?

Publishers are selling 'advantage' even if it is not COMBAT advantage ,but they sell gold or same items / rewards you can get in-game ,etc

People are buying it and only chance is one day publishers will think that ppl that dislike CS are enough in numbers so SOME (not all that's obvious) games will have pure p2p-no cash shop servers avabile for higher subscription rate.

Would not count on it in next 3-5 years though.

I would very gladly pay the higher subscription rate for this.  And you actually have an interesting idea, in that they can still do their little pay2win deal on most servers, but create non pay2win servers similar to how they do PVP servers today.  GREAT idea actually I hope somebody does this.  I hadn't thought about that solution to this problem...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

Why should some punk kid have an advantage over me just because he has no job and therefore has more time to grind out more gold and therefore can enchant his gear better than me? It is not skill and it is very little effort. It is just time. What if my kid were to send me a thousand gold every week because he felt sorry for me having to work to keep our family of the rain and he didn't want me to fall behind? What If I were so pleased with that deal I payed for his sub. Now we are essentially trading $15 for 4000 gold in game. Would it be so much different if I payed someone elses kid a $15 30day game card for 4000gold?  

Sounds to me like people are sore because they want their advantage to continue being the only advantage.

All die, so die well.

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

Why should some punk kid have an advantage over me just because he has no job and therefore has more time to grind out more gold and therefore can enchant his gear better than me? It is not skill and it is very little effort. It is just time. What if my kid were to send me a thousand gold every week because he felt sorry for me having to work to keep our family of the rain and he didn't want me to fall behind? What If I were so pleased with that deal I payed for his sub. Now we are essentially trading $15 for 4000 gold in game. Would it be so much different if I payed someone elses kid a $15 30day game card for 4000gold?  

Sounds to me like people are sore because they want their advantage to continue being the only advantage.

Ok, let me put it in real life terms so you can see the difference.  In real life, which of the 3 statements below do you agree or not agree with:

1) I respect people who use their intelligence and ideas to become rich.

2) I respect people who work hard to become rich.

3) I respect people who became rich without any effort and without using their intelligence (e.g., their parents gave them the money, they won the lottery, etc)

The parallels to the above in a game to me are:

1) High player skill, tactics, and strategy

2) Grinding, working, helping others, etc

3) Cash shop

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

Why shouldn't he have the advantage in game.

You have the advantage in real life.

(person with no job vs person with job)

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

Ok, let me put it in real life terms so you can see the difference.  In real life, which of the 3 statements below do you agree or not agree with:

3) I respect people who became rich without any effort and without using their intelligence (e.g., their parents gave them the money, they won the lottery, etc)

3) Cash shop

people dont earn my respect by being rich. and just because your rich doesnt mean you dont work hard. 

in option 3 what if he takes a lot of that money and donates or starts a charity is he less respected because of where the money came from?

and again people have to want the cash shop items bad enough to warrant spending there hard earned gold on it

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

3) Cash shop

people dont earn my respect by being rich. and just because your rich doesnt mean you dont work hard. 

in option 3 what if he takes a lot of that money and donates or starts a charity is he less respected because of where the money came from?

and again people have to want the cash shop items bad enough to warrant spending there hard earned gold on it

LOL you are taking the example way to literally.  Change "rich" to "happy" if you want.  Whatever.  The point was in the method of obtaining such goal, not in the goal itself...

Sure...

In an MMORPG,

QED, no?

gametime = time

Buying Time = Pay2win

3) Cash shop

LOL you are taking the example way to literally.  Change "rich" to "happy" if you want.  Whatever.  The point was in the method of obtaining such goal, not in the goal itself...

we just disagree, i dont care how someone else got his gold in gw2.    in any game people buy gold from goldsellers  im not gonna stalk and harrasam him because of it, im gonna continue to enjoy the game im playing. i may not agree with his methods but i just dont see it affecting me in gw2

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Weren't 20 "pay to win" threads enough?  Apparently p2w means something different to everyone.  Myself, I don't give a rat's ass if someone can level faster than me.  Rushing to endgame negates the journey.  I'm not into ruining my own gaming fun.  As far as Barbie dress up....I like to play that and I'm sure they'll get some of my money for that.  Most things they have in the cash shop can't be used in PvP, so I'm not really sure WHERE the "pay to win" is here, but....at least with GW2....they have already stated that nothing is written in stone yet, it's a work in progress.

I plan on playing ALL of these so-called pay to win games.  I played EQ2 for 7 years and it had a cash shop AND a sub.  If a game is good....I'm not letting a little cash shop get between me and a good time.  I feel sorry for you, OP, and all the others who are whining they aren't going to play now because "whaaaaaa wah" there's a cash shop, zomg it's gone p2w.  Waaaah.  If that's how you feel....you're the one missing the fun, not me, so....sayonara.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by just1opinion

If that's how you feel....you're the one missing the fun, not me, so....sayonara.

whats fun to you might be pathetic to someone else.

Let's internet

Originally posted by just1opinion

Weren't 20 "pay to win" threads enough?  Apparently p2w means something different to everyone.  Myself, I don't give a rat's ass if someone can level faster than me.  Rushing to endgame negates the journey.  I'm not into ruining my own gaming fun.  As far as Barbie dress up....I like to play that and I'm sure they'll get some of my money for that.  Most things they have in the cash shop can't be used in PvP, so I'm not really sure WHERE the "pay to win" is here, but....at least with GW2....they have already stated that nothing is written in stone yet, it's a work in progress.

I plan on playing ALL of these so-called pay to win games.  I played EQ2 for 7 years and it had a cash shop AND a sub.  If a game is good....I'm not letting a little cash shop get between me and a good time.  I feel sorry for you, OP, and all the others who are whining they aren't going to play now because "whaaaaaa wah" there's a cash shop, zomg it's gone p2w.  Waaaah.  If that's how you feel....you're the one missing the fun, not me, so....sayonara.

You don't have to feel sorry for me.  It is a stand on principle.  There are hundreds of games to play it is not like I won't be having fun gaming.  I just won't support a gaming philosophy that I disagree with.

I like the idea someone had of creating non-pay2win servers that had a higher subscription fee.  Seems like there is an easy to implement solution that potentially exists.  1) PVE servers.  2) PVP servers.  3) non-cash-shop PVP servers.

Count me in to option 3) above and I will gladly pay more for it...

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

What advantages does the cash shop provide so you don't have to play the game? Which is what you are stating

This discussion has been closed.