Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG F2P but not pay to win

hopdoghopdog Member Posts: 110

As the title said i'm just looking for a decent F2P game that dosnt have game breaking items you can buy from the store.  know i dont mind grinding or playing 2x as long as those who buy xp pots/item booster''s just as long as i have a "realistic" chance of getting the same type of gear.

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by hopdog

As the title said i'm just looking for a decent F2P game that dosnt have game breaking items you can buy from the store.  know i dont mind grinding or playing 2x as long as those who buy xp pots/item booster''s just as long as i have a "realistic" chance of getting the same type of gear.

Lotro is my favorite f2p model. You can get anything in game that you can get from the shop. The only drawback is somce locked quest areas. But, you earn turbine points in game to unlock them.

If you can wait, Aion's f2p is sounding pretty sweet...and they are getting player housing and mounts next big expansion.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Depends on what type of games you like, but the nice thing is most (P2P) MMOs are going F2P if they are not already.  All of the SOE will be F2P by April (Vanguard being the last and the spiritual successor to EQ).  Even Original EQ just went F2P last week if you ever wanted to see what thats about.

DCUO is a run action-based romp but a little on the simple side in terms attribute management.

Aion goes free this month or next, and I plan to check that one out.

Since I'm more of a high fantasy/anime fan I have been having TONS of fun in Eden Eternal.  Hook is you can switch classes on a whim.  Dont want to be Warrior anymore?  Switch to cleric.  I was definitely surprised how deep the gameplay is.  Story is light and drives you through quests but the real meat is the fast (hotkey) combat, events, and guild wars (guilds can carry territories).  This will hold me over until Lime Odyssey which looks amazing.

Another fun action oriented one is Dragons Nest.  All skill based, with dodging mechanic.  Visuals are amazing for a F2P game.  Be warned though, its heavily instanced but in my opinion does not detract from the gameplay.  Crafting and progresssion available.

In to superhero themes you have City of Heroes (strong affinity for attribute management and one of the best character creators) or Champions Online.  CoH *will* force you to pay like 2.50 to play though, found that out the hard way - but still better than a subscription.

There are the perfect world games as well - Perfect World, Ether Saga, and the new RaiderZ (action combat like TERA).  Im in the Alpha of RaiderZ and it looks like a contender.  They have the combat down, and to me just have to flesh out the story and context.  Right now it plays like a generic title but they have time to beef it up.

In all my F2P games the most I get from the cash shop is larger bags (I get LOTS of loot) and maybe some cheap cosmetic items to stand apart.  Like you I dont mind grinding for something that I can get in the store, and in fact thats the reason why I play.  I like to level nice and slow like and really build/learn my character.

Check out MMOHUT which has one of the most extensive lists (and reviews) of Free MMORPGs that I have seen.