Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any point in joining EQ2 now?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I just noticed that it is owned by Sony.. Is that a sign that I should avoid the game all together?

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Uh it has been owned by Sony since launch. How would this revelation make it any different?

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Agreed. Everquest has been released by SoE since the first one and it doesn't really make any difference in the quality of the game. It's fun as long you find a social guild. So I'd say go for it!

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Yeah Sony kinda created Everquest II, so they do own it.

Regardless if you like Sony or not though, its still a damn fine game, and has only gotten better over the past few years.  Even more so now that its entirely F2P all the way to lvl 90.  You are of course restricted on Race and Class choice as a free player, but can easily unlock the others for a decently small fee.

If you want a more technical answer behind who created Everquest, it was 989 Studios ~ later Verant Interactive, and lead by Brad McQuaid whom are credited for developing  EQ, but they were all a division of and owned by Sony.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Yes best game out there now, till Vanguard goes free to play.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I might give it a go then ^^ 

And at the same time, I'll give vanguard a go, so I know which one to stick to

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

It's gay what they've done to it with gear and F2P system. have to re-pay for stuff that should already be available to ex subscribers.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

If I like it and the community seems nice, I'll buy a sub and stick to it :3 Really in need of an MMo to play D:

Originally posted by Sarariel

If I like it and the community seems nice, I'll buy a sub and stick to it :3 Really in need of an MMo to play D:

Make sure you do the Harvesting skills and crafting it will pay off.

MAGA

Originally posted by emperorwings

It's gay what they've done to it with gear and F2P system. have to re-pay for stuff that should already be available to ex subscribers.

^ Yep.

For a new player or super casual I suppose it is OK. But it is not the game I loved and played for 6 years anymore. Might try it again for the next update to the DoV story though.

Also!

Sorry for spam replying hehe.

I'll be playing from Europe..Is the playerbase okay over here? Or is everyone put together in one big server?

If you would like join the Pemafrost server, send me an email here when you will be on and your charcters name and i will make and give you some backpacks and strongboxes.

MAGA
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

considering they are about to sale off 1/2 the customer base to alaplaya in Germany and put in region locks that s never been their before.

Then they just took off the lead dev and a couple of other devs leaving only 1 dev to work on the project and moved them to eqnext (eq3) .

The game is in maintenance mode, content has been really slow unless you look at the sc cash shop, now they get daily stuff put in there for sale.

Going free to play has not helped this game, in fact its had the opposite effect.

Originally posted by erictlewis

considering they are about to sale off 1/2 the customer base to alaplaya in Germany and put in region locks that s never been their before.

Then they just took off the lead dev and a couple of other devs leaving only 1 dev to work on the project and moved them to eqnext (eq3) .

The game is in maintenance mode, content has been really slow unless you look at the sc cash shop, now they get daily stuff put in there for sale.

Going free to play has not helped this game, in fact its had the opposite effect.

I disagree with this post try it out and make up your own mind is my advice.

MAGA

Also!

Sorry for spam replying hehe.

I'll be playing from Europe..Is the playerbase okay over here? Or is everyone put together in one big server?

If you play in Europe your best bet for a server is Splitpaw. Its more active at our night time.

As much as I disapprove of the current state of this game, this is a bit of a lie, its about to get a pretty massive content update. Levels are going up to 92 and they are unlocking the Skyshrine (second half of Velius).

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Don't be too hasty to spend any money, play for a couple of weeks and see if you find the combat entertaining. Personally I found it unbearable - and I don't even hate tab-targetting skillbar combat in general, I just found EQ2's implementation of it to be by far the least fun I have ever encountered.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I disagree with this post try it out and make up your own mind is my advice.

What part do you disagree with. 

Here is the post that backup my statements.

The prosiebine alaplaya faq thread 220 pages and counting

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=3260&topic_id=515195

The you chan check eq2 wire rothgar was moved over to eq2next http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/07/zoltaroth-steps-up-as-lead-programmer-of-everquest-ii-rothgar-heads-to-eqnext/

Now the game being in maintenance mode is just my oppion but a lot of other folks feal that way.   And there are many threads talking about low population. Most of those have been locked and tossed by the mods. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

SOE said a year ago, at the summer fanfaire, that DOV part2 would be this year

the content updates are happening altho more slowly - more like 3 times a year (as opposed to 4 times a year)

EQ2 is raising the level to 92 next month, as part of the update

EQ2 has its faults - like all mmos - but its not on maintenance mode

why the hell would they add more levels and introduce prestige AA next month ?

Originally posted by Nadia

SOE said a year ago, at the summer fanfaire, that DOV part2 would be this year

the content updates are happening altho more slowly - more like 3 times a year (as opposed to 4 times a year)

EQ2 is raising the level to 92 next month, as part of the update

EQ2 has its faults - like all mmos - but its not on maintenance mode

why the hell would they add more levels and introduce prestige AA next month ?

Only 2 levels what not 5, or 9.  We know that 100 is impossible without a total rewrite of the combat system. Oh and you cant progress past level 90 unless you have 280+ AA;s.  http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=15&topic_id=516347#5735199

I personally thing they are putting in just 2 levels to keep you busy until eqnext gets released later this year. That discussions already been hashed out in the forums, and on eq2 flames. There is a lot of questions as to why only 2 levels. 

Thats ok I just downgraded my 6 month sub to silver, and removed my cc info. I dont want nay of my info possibly passed to prosieben.sat.1 or alaplaya or whoever they are.

I just downgraded my 6 month sub to silver, and removed my cc info. I dont want any of my info possibly passed to prosieben.sat.1 or alaplaya or whoever they are.

Im wary of that deal too - SOE knows its controversial and has been tightlipped about it so far

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Its FREE.  YOu have nothing to loose but time it takes to download.  Like someone said earlier, try it out for a few weeks and see what you think.  Ive been on for about 6 months but I have station pass so I can play all SOE games.  From a fantasy RPG perspective it has massive amounts of content to keep you busy for as long as you like.

What typically makes or breaks this game for most is the client, its top heavy and resource intensive. Challenging to get the game to run at its highest settings.  And the combat.  It is hotkey/tab combat but was created waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2004 so it doesnt have the "bling" of recent MMOs.  Get around those two obstacles and you might enjoy it.

Cant wait to see EQNext, didnt know it was slated for this year?!   That gives me a full plate with Eden Eternal, Lime Odyssey(also this year), Guild Wars 2, TERA, and potentially Secret World.

I need to make some more time :-)

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Cant wait to see EQNext, didnt know it was slated for this year?!   That gives me a full plate with Eden Eternal, Lime Odyssey(also this year), Guild Wars 2, TERA, and potentially Secret World.

heh would be more than surprised if EQ3 got released this year, but SOE seem to be able to make MMOs rather fast with their new engine, but still... Id be happy if they can show off abit of gameplay at this years fan faire....

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Originally posted by Hedeon

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

heh would be more than surprised if EQ3 got released this year, but SOE seem to be able to make MMOs rather fast with their new engine, but still... Id be happy if they can show off abit of gameplay at this years fan faire....

The only way EQ3/Next would launch this year is if they rename Vanguard to EQ3 and relaunch that. :D  

EQNext will not be seen this year

id be surprised if SOE even talk about it at Sept/Oct 2012 Fanfaire

you will see Planetside 2 before any other SOE game -- and that has no release date either

http://massively.joystiq.com/category/planetside-2/

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

People hate Sony because of the Cash Shop and SWG revamp.

However, my favorite times in any MMO has been in a Sony game.

The only reason I would avoid this game is because of its dated servers, e.g., blown economy, twinks all over, etc.