Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor is a great game!

I have been playing swtor for over 6 months now, counting beta. Here is what people really have to look at. Bioware has done a great job since beta of listening to the players.. to the majority. But, you can not please everyone at once. Things that I want to see in the game, others will not... and vice versa. There are some great changes coming out in 1.2 and more to follow. They have not even gone through their first year yet and already I know that I will stay with them.. and no, this is by far not my first MMO.

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by Aedales

I have been playing swtor for over 6 months now, counting beta. Here is what people really have to look at. Bioware has done a great job since beta of listening to the players.. to the majority. But, you can not please everyone at once. Things that I want to see in the game, others will not... and vice versa. There are some great changes coming out in 1.2 and more to follow. They have not even gone through their first year yet and already I know that I will stay with them.. and no, this is by far not my first MMO.

When a game has many problems and is full of bugs and a company adds in their next update mount emotes then u got to realise that this company is not seious at all.Friendly advice.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

if bioware listened to their players.. 1.2 would have been what we got at launch.. not the beta quality product we actually got.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Great, most boring game ever too.   and 0 costumer support.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Really? really? another one of these posts come on seriously... i thought we were over all these posts...

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

[mod edit]

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I was in the beta for months. They didn't listen to shit we said.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by mbrodie

if bioware listened to their players.. 1.2 would have been what we got at launch.. not the beta quality product we actually got.

I dont think 1.2 is what we should have gotten at launch at all. But atleast we arent  getting WoW like tallent tree overhauls to such a large degree we get a free respec for some classes every major patch.

Though I do agree we kinna ran out of the current tier raiding a bit too fast, even wotlk managed to have enough raiding content for even cassual players for 2-3 months.

THe changes to the craft that are coming in are cute but promise more a ballance breaker then a fix to the actual problem WITH crafting, infact.. it doesnt adress the problem at all..

Class ballancing in this game is no worse then the other, certainly not as bad as it is/was with Rift. But again they seem to go the wrong way. The things that are actual the problem arent being adressed.  Not going to bring up all the ballance issues, they are something more for a different topic but to give an excample.. look at bounty hunter and commando healing. there is a reason why there are so few that spec healing for ops/fp's instead of adressing the major issues, they put in a joke of a fix but forget to actually DO adress the issue, yet proceed to nerf..

Is it a bad game? No for a single player in too many ways it IS amasing, granted if its your kind of game. As an mmo it is just too much on rails which helps to actually feel part of the story playing through but when you reach the end of the line the immersion that the story-lines brought in just vanish. IN many ways it isnt all that different to other mmo's but the content that is left feels like running a rerun, the rail track also imo discourage to play an alt. You must follow the path they layed out for you.

The conversation 3 choise system has potentional except when you hit 50 and run ops/fps and dailies over and over they are beyone anoying. that and the choises only add 3 extra keys to press but dont change  a thing.

I found this Mtv sploof that is beyone painfully accurate what the 3 choises actually do...

I know I should make a montage and add a press 1 2 or 3 key but still.. We all know the original movie so just imagen you picking the option 2 to reply to Obiwan and Padamee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gngZS_u5fuA

Again the game isnt bad at all, it still have alot of potentional and even for me brings a good amount of entertainment but there are a good list of issues AND content that needs to be added to actually give this game long livety.

Then ofcourse another thing.. Lets not get into the flaws with SWG but atleast that was star wars. Funny enough SwToR feels more like a upgraded Anarchy online then Star wars..

NOt to mention, most people expected Epic battles, heroic jedi's, cunning smugglers , brave troopers. Resourcefull bounty hunters, inteligent agents and elite sith lords but we got THIS instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLmetB5Sbo

Originally posted by Paithan

I dont think 1.2 is what we should have gotten at launch at all. But atleast we arent  getting WoW like tallent tree overhauls to such a large degree we get a free respec for some classes every major patch.

Though I do agree we kinna ran out of the current tier raiding a bit too fast, even wotlk managed to have enough raiding content for even cassual players for 2-3 months.

THe changes to the craft that are coming in are cute but promise more a ballance breaker then a fix to the actual problem WITH crafting, infact.. it doesnt adress the problem at all..

Class ballancing in this game is no worse then the other, certainly not as bad as it is/was with Rift. But again they seem to go the wrong way. The things that are actual the problem arent being adressed.  Not going to bring up all the ballance issues, they are something more for a different topic but to give an excample.. look at bounty hunter and commando healing. there is a reason why there are so few that spec healing for ops/fp's instead of adressing the major issues, they put in a joke of a fix but forget to actually DO adress the issue, yet proceed to nerf..

Is it a bad game? No for a single player in too many ways it IS amasing, granted if its your kind of game. As an mmo it is just too much on rails which helps to actually feel part of the story playing through but when you reach the end of the line the immersion that the story-lines brought in just vanish. IN many ways it isnt all that different to other mmo's but the content that is left feels like running a rerun, the rail track also imo discourage to play an alt. You must follow the path they layed out for you.

The conversation 3 choise system has potentional except when you hit 50 and run ops/fps and dailies over and over they are beyone anoying. that and the choises only add 3 extra keys to press but dont change  a thing.

I found this Mtv sploof that is beyone painfully accurate what the 3 choises actually do...

I know I should make a montage and add a press 1 2 or 3 key but still.. We all know the original movie so just imagen you picking the option 2 to reply to Obiwan and Padamee.

Again the game isnt bad at all, it still have alot of potentional and even for me brings a good amount of entertainment but there are a good list of issues AND content that needs to be added to actually give this game long livety.

Then ofcourse another thing.. Lets not get into the flaws with SWG but atleast that was star wars. Funny enough SwToR feels more like a upgraded Anarchy online then Star wars..

NOt to mention, most people expected Epic battles, heroic jedi's, cunning smugglers , brave troopers. Resourcefull bounty hunters, inteligent agents and elite sith lords but we got THIS instead...

well i'm glad you were happy with a mediocre beta quality product, FYI a lot of what is coming in 1.2 was in during beta and removed due to being incomplete, the last 8 months there was nothing done to the game shame u cant see old beta forums.. they spent their time pulling unfinished content and hyping the game, but sure, 1.2 isnt what we should have got.. a somewhat more feature rich, working, customizable game that we were all expecting

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

well i'm glad you were happy with a mediocre beta quality product, FYI a lot of what is coming in 1.2 was in during beta and removed due to being incomplete, the last 8 months there was nothing done to the game shame u cant see old beta forums.. they spent their time pulling unfinished content and hyping the game, but sure, 1.2 isnt what we should have got.. a somewhat more feature rich, working, customizable game that we were all expecting

Ive played most major mmos, its no where near as bad as WoW was but thats besides the point. The game has flaws, plenty of them. I still had my enjoyment out of the game but without some good amounth of changes, fixes and content I really dont expect to stay too long, as it stands its a ok placeholder till I deside to pick something else.

If you bothered to watch the movies I linked, you would have realised my oppinion about swtor isnt the best. Its just not a doom and gloom speech.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

i dont understand how it is a great game

a good game should have something going for it. eg

well engineered: no lag, good framerates, smooth animations, no bugs, nice graphics

innovation: new mechanics not commonly used/perfected in current games like world pvp, castle sieges, crafting, economy

swtor is  poorly engineered (lots of bugs like that cast bug, lots of things dont work), poor game design (lifeless static worlds, ilum is retarded, too much pvp rep grind) and it doesnt bring anything new to the table. It doesnt offer anything over mmorpgs released before it was released  like RIFT, WOW, AOC, AION which is kind of sad.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

[mod edit]

Ive played most major mmos, its no where near as bad as WoW was but thats besides the point. The game has flaws, plenty of them. I still had my enjoyment out of the game but without some good amounth of changes, fixes and content I really dont expect to stay too long, as it stands its a ok placeholder till I deside to pick something else.

If you bothered to watch the movies I linked, you would have realised my oppinion about swtor isnt the best. Its just not a doom and gloom speech.

i understood that.. but my point is 1.2 is what we should have got at launch IF bioware actually DID listen to it's playerbase during development.. it's hard no say no it isnt... because everything thats in 1.2 and subsequent patches leading upto 1.2 is things that were being bought up during beta testing upto 8 months before release... IF bioware DID listen, 1.2 is what we would have got at launch - not what we actually got

i had fun, i saw cracks on the leadup to 50... game kinda fell right about at 50, tried doing the alt route but found it was just the same as my main in a different skin.. tried a different faction... was the same as my main with a red skin instead of blue this time... i paid for my first month to get my legacy title (i'm a sucker for things like that) i resubbed this month so i could see my latency on locally hosted AU servers and at 15ms i was so impressed.. but still couldnt bring myself to play in it's current state

i really hope they get a handle on it and give me something good to work with before Diablo III, MoP Beta, or GW2 comes out.. because i could use a time sink :)

at no point have i said i want this game to fail and it's the worst ever... i played AoC at launch for one example along with every other mainstread and some non mainstream mmo's to know it's not the worst ever.. is it close definitley thats my point in saying 1.2 should have been the launch product considering they attached a sub and a premium price tag... not make people pay for the game and then wait 4 months to get the game upto playable standards.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Actually, I think they did an excellent job presenting the Star Wars universe in MMO form. When you consider that only 2 out of 6 of the movies were watchable all the way through. That's about the score I'd give SWTOR: 2/6. Mission accomplished EA. 

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Yes it is man, one of the best mmo now. Nobody offers so much as bioware does and they try every day so hard like no one before. It is pure joy to play this game. My only choice from classic mmo genre until Oblivion online comes out. Holy trinity -wow,eve,swtor and you don't need any other game. I notices that eu servers are again full with players,thats nice to see :)

Originally posted by palulalula

Yes it is man, one of the best mmo now. Nobody offers so much as bioware does and they try every day so hard like no one before. It is pure joy to play this game. My only choice from classic mmo genre until Oblivion online comes out. Holy trinity -wow,eve,swtor and you don't need any other game. I notices that eu servers are again full with players,thats nice to see :)

they try everyday so hard like no one before - have you heard of trion worlds by any chance.. in comparison they leave bioware for dead in terms of content patches / updates... just sayin

they try everyday so hard like no one before - have you heard of trion worlds by any chance.. in comparison they leave bioware for dead in terms of content patches / updates... just sayin

Dude i buy every new mmo worth to play, was in first days of Rift--cmon you serious???!!!  Rift is good game but planet Hoth is biger than all Rift  lands  together

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

For a single player game it's decent, though buggy (I could swear it was made by Bethesda, that kind of buggy). For an mmoprg, sub par, limited and on rails from start to finish. When you reach the conclusion of your personal story, the game ... ends.

Dude i buy every new mmo worth to play, was in first days of Rift--cmon you serious???!!!  Rift is good game but planet Hoth is biger than all Rift  lands  together

you didnt say anything about size.. u said about updates... trion worlds eats bioware alive in terms of update frequency and content patches.. sorry, truth is truth

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by bishbosh

i dont understand how it is a great game

a good game should have something going for it. eg

well engineered: no lag, good framerates, smooth animations, no bugs, nice graphics

innovation: new mechanics not commonly used/perfected in current games like world pvp, castle sieges, crafting, economy

swtor is  poorly engineered (lots of bugs like that cast bug, lots of things dont work), poor game design (lifeless static worlds, ilum is retarded, too much pvp rep grind) and it doesnt bring anything new to the table. It doesnt offer anything over mmorpgs released before it was released  like RIFT, WOW, AOC, AION which is kind of sad.

Hmm. WoW didn't really offer anything "new", and it had a crap ton of bugs when it first came out. Rift did also, Aion didn't bring anything new to the table either. It was just your average Korean grind fest, with wings(But Perfect World had already done that, so that's not new either). SWTOR does have decent graphics, I personally never had lag issues. But it is just WoW with Lightsabers and Wookies with flamethrowers(That FP was awesome, btw). The crafting is pretty good, to me at least. 

Originally posted by Xasapis

For a single player it's decent, though buggy (I could swear it was made by Bethesda, that kind of buggy). For an mmoprg, sub par, limited and on rails from start to finish. When you reach the conclusion of your personal story, the game ... ends.

Well i never saw  some big bugs in this game. Maybe you should update your hardware. It is simply not true

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

For a single player it's decent, though buggy (I could swear it was made by Bethesda, that kind of buggy). For an mmoprg, sub par, limited and on rails from start to finish. When you reach the conclusion of your personal story, the game ... ends.

Well i never saw  some big bugs in this game. Maybe you should update your hardware. It is simply not true

I didn't find any bugs either, other than the ones on Korriban..but those were really easy to kill(:P). 

you didnt say anything about size.. u said about updates... trion worlds eats bioware alive in terms of update frequency and content patches.. sorry, truth is truth

Ok, no problemo if you think so there is no point to argue about that. I didnt say that trion is bad team. It is just so simple, for me is tor much much better game and for you is Rift,. Maybe one day i will try again Rift i have there 2 lev50. But when i see so huge projects coming out like Oblivion online i am not so sure. 

it is true.. combat was broken at launch.. client to server relaying of global cooldown was broken and giving weird effects like 2 or 3 times animation firing off before abilities etc... all of which was acknowledged by bioware... bare in mind right now i said acknowledged.. they knew about the bug and there response was that a fix is in the works... they knew that combat wasnt working properly and released a game anyway combat being one of the most pivital points of an MMO

17 - 2600k

8gb gskill ripjaws 2100mhz

2 x 120GB SSD's

2 x 2 TB Data Drives

2 x Gainward 2GB GTX560Ti Phantom II running SLI / Nvidia surround when enabled

all my hardware is fairly newish and working 100% the game engine is buggy and flawed, thats not his fault at all... i still had issues in game

Ok, no problemo if you think so there is no point to argue about that. I didnt say that trion is bad team. It is just so simple, for me is tor much much better game and for you is Rift,. Maybe one day i will try again Rift i have there 2 lev50. But when i see so huge projects coming out like Oblivion online i am not so sure. 

i dont like rift either, they're just a much better development team

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Right. Are you by any chance working for Bioware? Because one of their favorite line about the missing high textures, was that the textures was a "bug". No, my computer is way above anything that any game developer can throw at it right now (fast I7, 12GB memory, 2TB hd, nvidia 580 etc). There are so many bugs in the game, it's hard not to miss them, unless of course you're purposely blind to them. Which is fine, honeymoon period and all.

I can understand why you defend the game. It's SW, it's coming from Bioware (a sad shadow of the Bioware of old) and the game is entertaining if you don't have much experience in mmorpgs and expect to function as a single player game would. t may become a passable mmorpg in a year from now, although I don't see how they can get rid of the insane amount of instancing. I suppose I could possibly recommend it as a lightweight intro to mmorpgs, but WoW is still by far a superior recommendation on that front.