Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turn based mmorpg's?

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Are there any good turn based mmorp's out there that arn't to expensive to play?. I know atlantica online is suppose to be good but I head it gets real expensive later on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

funny I was looking for the same, just started downloading Atlantica, Im only looking for a temporary fill til D3 and TSW come out, so Im not too worried about high level spending, also I heard that you can level without spending it just takes longer

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Wakfu/Dofus is turn based as well but its more turn based strategy instead of turn based rpg

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Wakfu is a turn based sandbox mmo. Check it out.

http://www.wakfu.com/na/mmorpg 

• adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128

Unfortunately, Atlantica is the only decent 3D turn-based MMORPG available. What you heard is right. It's a fun game, but becomes expensive and grindy later on. You may opt not to spend anything, but you have to work extra hard for it.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

F2P is never a good option so I suggest you ignore them.  I think LOTRO is the closest example of free to play, but anyone who isn't poor will end up spending a lot more on that game than any P2P.

Unfortunately I don't think you will ever see a quality turn based MMORPG as very few people want to sit around waiting for others to make their movies.  Imagine in a MMO environment where you group with random people... How many of those people will wander off in the middle of "whatever" while you wait for the turn timer to count down.

I LOVED Heroes of Might and Magic (turn based RPG) however I never found it enjoyable to play with other players as the waiting just gets to be too much.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Heroes of Might and Magic was always descirbed and reviewed as strategy not as an rpg. 

Sure it has some rpg elements when you 'develop' your heroes ,but well half of games nowadays do. FPS shooters included.

As for topic : yeah you out of luck mate. Not to many mmorpg's like those and they are also microtransaction - f2p based and they get really expensive later on in game.

Better imo to find either non-turn based mmorpg or some turn based single player rpg or single / normal multiplayer turn strategy with some rpg elements.  

I would say that "Elemental : Fallen Enchantress" is / will be very nice game. It is still in beta ,but should be out in vacation peroid.

• Originally posted by Myrdynn

funny I was looking for the same, just started downloading Atlantica, Im only looking for a temporary fill til D3 and TSW come out, so Im not too worried about high level spending, also I heard that you can level without spending it just takes longer

dont  know how much has changed in the last since nexon took over, but over  the 2 years i played, i lvled to 130 and never spent a dime(real dime ;)). and dont take the time it took me to get to that lvl as any kind of indicator. i was very lazy when it came to trying to lvl up. i mostly just ran dungeons with guildies a couple times a week to farm crafting mats

Originally posted by Painlezz

F2P is never a good option so I suggest you ignore them.  I think LOTRO is the closest example of free to play, but anyone who isn't poor will end up spending a lot more on that game than any P2P.

Unfortunately I don't think you will ever see a quality turn based MMORPG as very few people want to sit around waiting for others to make their movies.  Imagine in a MMO environment where you group with random people... How many of those people will wander off in the middle of "whatever" while you wait for the turn timer to count down.

I LOVED Heroes of Might and Magic (turn based RPG) however I never found it enjoyable to play with other players as the waiting just gets to be too much.

LOTRO is one of the worst FTP methods out because they restrict content. Lineage 2 is a shinning example of what Free To Play should be. No restrictions on anything and everything the game has to offer is available to everybody from level 1 all the way to max level. 

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Atlantica onlines golend age was during the betas, the early ones.

Its a great game (although it gets stale afte a while)

They added this thing called stamina, each battle consumes one.  When you run out you stopped getting XP and items for the fight.

When you reach a certain level, just to stick it to you, you start to regain stamina per day at a lower rate and it caps lower.

Then they started selling characters for your formation.

Its a really good game early on mechanically, but all the cool areas are high level and well, the game loses its fun before you get there. 

For pvp, the staged matches were either the guy your against is afk or you get some super pro guy whos using cash shop damage scrolls on you, or has a formation just for pvp, like tons of archers, and will kill you in a few rounds ignoring your mercenaries (game over when you die)

As a hold over game it will do just fine, just do NOT spend in their cash shop for anything.  The game gets old quick. Especially when you buy the auto fight item.  Yes it gets so boring youll want to buy the cash shop item that allows the game to just do the fighting for you.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

YOu can probably play Atlantica till about 90ish before the cash shop would come into play.....There are some browser turn based games that aren't too bad.....The only one I remember offhand is GIlfors travels....You can probably google browser turn based and get a few to come up.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Mannish

Ok im interested in the words you used to describe the game but im looking at the site and im...shockingly dissapointed.

Whats this games catch?  It looks...horrendous...but the words you used makes me want to try it.

Also i see theres classes.

Sandbox isnt determined by a games world building or crafting system, neither is it by a politics system

This game isnt sandbox...shame on you for getting me all hot and botherd

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Ok im interested in the words you used to describe the game but im looking at the site and im...shockingly dissapointed.

Whats this games catch?  It looks...horrendous...but the words you used makes me want to try it.

Sandbox isnt determined by a games world building or crafting system, neither is it by a politics system

Im confused...What makes it not sandbox? o.O

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Crunchy221

You are looking at the site but why are you not reading about the game? Do some research on the game then come back and talk. There has been so much discussion about this game as of late and even a review done a few days ago on this site.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Shari

Are there any good turn based mmorp's out there that arn't to expensive to play?. I know atlantica online is suppose to be good but I head it gets real expensive later on.

Any ideas?

Atlantica is the only one I've played.  It's a lot of fun and different from the norm but sadly it is blatently pay 2 win.  I've been playing on and off for about 6 months now.  Currently I'm level 114 and once I hit level 120 I'm going to be forced into retirement.  I simply will not be able to afford the merc and gear upgrades.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CeppanaCeppana Member UncommonPosts: 23

Atlantica Online is a top notch game if you are jsut looking for turn-based games. Don't be scared of Atlantica with people's comments that it needs heavy IM'ing to survive there. Here is a few reason why I think IM has small effect on the gaming

1. The stuff they sell in Item Mall are luxury items mostly (such as teleportation, blessing license* , health check etc.). You don't need any of those to play the game and enjoy. *Adds bonus exp also some atk and def bonus

2. IM doesnt sell armors and equips -> negates the comments about heavy IM user being better etc.

3. PVP gear stats are capped at some point (except King's Judgement, the real PK -system where everything matter)

4. Most of the items sold in IM are sold in-game currency

You might ask how then I can obtain those absurd amount of money? Well play the game, the TBS in-game grants tons of gold weekly. High level players can make 5b-8b per week, in comparison IM only merc costs in-game around 8b-10b. So yea one point was right, only high level people can afford those mercs, however you can get those too if you work for them. IMO item mall is just faster way for riches to people. 

Ok, lets forget about the IM for a bit. As a game itself Atlantica is an awesome game, if you bother reading the conversation from quests. The quests follows some mythology, so people enjoy that, like I do. Secondly the fact that there is no rival for Atlantica on its own game genre so far, 3D turn-based strategy game. Atlantica changed to more newbie friendly resently, when they added helper box until level 100. The helper box contains IM items, those are timed items though, but you get the taste how it would feel to play without and with IM items. You get to use various mounts, decorations and costumes which you get from the box. 

About leveling in Atlantica, 1-100 are kinda quest driven. Moving from quest to quest, no exploration or any other experience. But at lvl 100 the real experience starts, you get to attend most of the guild dungeons, nation dungeons and individual dungeons. Although Individual dungeons starts at lvl 90 already. I dont have experience from high level playing past lvl 120 though. All I have heard its gets grindy after lvl 135ish. Good thing is nowadays the grind is less due more exp from TBS skirmishes and no stamina system. 

If you have any more questions about Atlantica Online feel free to ask here or PM me ^^All in all I can give AO 9/10, it would be perfect 10 but it is now hosted by a crappy company Nexon, so customer support doesnt really exist.